IGNORED

Katie and Travis 5: Baby Makes Three

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Katie, Travis and Hailey are on their way to TN (flying). I don’t think I would make the choice to fly with a one month old baby on a plane or bring a new baby to meet 30 or so people. Katie was giving Hailey a bottle on the plane. They must know that flying is hard on a baby’s ears, I hope.

This is all based on my experience as a long time NICU nurse (and common sense).

In the early photos (NB) with professional photog. Hailey had visibly loose looking skin on her back which is a huge indication of dehydration and weight loss- which was later confirmed by the Clarks.

Hailey was losing weight per the Clarks and the pediatrician suggested supplementing with formula.

The picture (recent) with the black, huge bow Hailey looks nice and filled out.

Hailey is being bottle fed on plane.

I think we can safely surmise that Hailey is at the very least being supplemented with a bottle.

No shame at all. Fed is best.

I gave my breast fed babies bottles at bedtime- I worked and needed to sleep at night. That 8 oz. Bottle held them over until the morning breast feeding. I was very fortunate that my kids would drink from breast or bottle. They just wanted to eat.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

She was nursing Hailey uncovered at the cash n carry. Was probably before or after everyone was there and looked like it was two shirt method. It’s posted in Carlin’s stories. I was really surprised that Katie was nursing uncovered in a public place and that Carlin took and picture and posted it 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

She was nursing Hailey uncovered at the cash n carry. Was probably before or after everyone was there and looked like it was two shirt method. It’s posted in Carlin’s stories. I was really surprised that Katie was nursing uncovered in a public place and that Carlin took and picture and posted it 

I am not religious. I’m probably best described as agnostic. Yet I never nursed my son in public like that. I was always so jealous of women who could confidently nurse in public. I wished so much that I could. I had a lot of body issues due to bullying in my formative years that lingered for decades. So I was never comfortable nursing in public. It was such a fucking hassle. I was always looking for some private area to nurse. I’m glad she feels comfortable nursing in public. I wish all women did because it sucks so bad to be looking for a gross bathroom to nurse your fussy baby in. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 12

49 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

I think she's bottle feeding her in that pic - unless we're talking about different pictures? I really can't imagine a Bates girl forgoing the nursing tents.

I think I nursed my kids in pretty much every public place in our city, including on the bus, on park benches, in various cafés and museums, and so on, all without feeling the need for a cover. IMHO, usually most of your boob is hidden behind a big baby head, and I rarely got any funny looks. But then again I live in an evil secular city that has recently allowed women to go topless in public pools on the basis of equal rights for all (if men are allowed to bathe topless, so are women).

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I think she's bottle feeding her in that pic - unless we're talking about different pictures? I really can't imagine a Bates girl forgoing the nursing tents.

I think I nursed my kids in pretty much every public place in our city, including on the bus, on park benches, in various cafés and museums, and so on, all without feeling the need for a cover. IMHO, usually most of your boob is hidden behind a big baby head, and I rarely got any funny looks. But then again I live in an evil secular city that has recently allowed women to go topless in public pools on the basis of equal rights for all (if men are allowed to bathe topless, so are women).

What’s funny is that I also live in a city where going topless is legal anytime. But almost no one is ever topless! Haha. But I’m glad it’s legal because it means no one will ever bother you about nursing in public. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

I didn’t think I’d be comfortable nursing in public, but after attempting to use a cover one time and having it be a giant frustrating mess, I nurse anywhere, anytime she needs it. Heck I’ve even whipped it out at church while sitting next to an older man haha. If it makes anyone uncomfortable, I wouldn’t know, because no one has ever said anything to me. I’ve actually had 2 distant family members thank me for being so open with it because it created a conversation about breastfeeding and teachable moments with their kids. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 13

4 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

She was bottle feeding in that photo.

image.png.b613cbfacfc6b7428061380ef3ec9216.png

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I nursed in public with zero shame. I hated nursing covers and my kids were good matchers (except my youngest, but I barely nursed her) and it was very easy. I loved nursing tanks. 

• Upvote 3

Wowww I was blind and didnt see the bottle. I think I thought that was her shirt bunched up. Never try to snark without having had coffee. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

I didn't think I'd be comfortable nursing in public either, but turns out I was. As far as I know, nothing ever showed anyway. The only time anyone ever said anything to me was at the food court at the mall. An older lady, I thought she was going to scold me, but instead, she just wanted to encourage me and then told me how it brought back nice memories for her. It was very sweet of her.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 6

I did not care at all about nursing in public. Thinking back, I even nursed in front of my parents’ friends. What was I thinking????

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I did not care at all about nursing in public. Thinking back, I even nursed in front of my parents’ friends. What was I thinking????

The only time I was brushing in public was in front of my ILs and I remember the first time I went to go upstairs and my MIL was why. I assumed my conservative ILs would object but they are European immigrants and they are so old school that they never blinked ab eye at nursing in public. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

The only time I was brushing in public was in front of my ILs and I remember the first time I went to go upstairs and my MIL was why. I assumed my conservative ILs would object but they are European immigrants and they are so old school that they never blinked ab eye at nursing in public. 

My family is Catholic and very conservative too, but breastfeeding is also the norm in our family, so I have had the same experience as you. My grandmother told me that she still had memories from when she was around 4 years old in Italy, and she’d ask ladies who came to visit if she could have their milk. So she would breastfeed from other relatives and friends! Apparently it was the norm at that time - all the women would help each other out with their kids, and that was just an accepted part of it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, SassyPants said:

That your baby was hungry and if they didn't like it they could lump it? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 5

I’m currently breastfeeding my 10 month old and will happily feed out and about in public. I actually feel far more comfortable feeding in public than I do in front of some older male family members. 

The way I see it, surely members of the public would rather I discreetly feed my baby than listen to her screaming in hunger 😅

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I nursed in front of anyone who was around when my daughter was hungry, but minimal public nursing because I had her in Jan 2021 and we really didn't go out much.  My best friend's mother is a very devout catholic and friend warned her that if she wanted to meet the baby there would be boob.  Nobody ever said anything to me about it.

• Upvote 3

I absolutely do get why some people choose to cover up while nursing, but I am also very happy that nursing in public is generally accepted. And an exposed boob or nipple is not really deemed spectacular as well.
Just a tip for everyone nursing while on holiday in Germany- if it seems as if people are staring at you nursing, relax. It has nothing to do with you. Apparently we stare all the time no matter what. At least that’s what my British in laws tell me. 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Isn’t it kind of weird how Lydia could pass for a Bates sister? Except for her height of course. 

0ECA8753-E565-4865-BDAF-C0D8105C31F4.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Baby Hailey has a ton of hair for a newborn. I think I’m even more annoyed by the giant headbands since she has a ton of hair. You could tie a tiny silk ribbon in a bow in her hair if you want some sort of bow. The headbands are completely unnecessary. Hell a tiny ribbon is unnecessary. But I bet it is more comfortable than a headband on a newborn. 

• I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Baby Hailey has a ton of hair for a newborn. I think I’m even more annoyed by the giant headbands since she has a ton of hair. You could tie a tiny silk ribbon in a bow in her hair if you want some sort of bow. The headbands are completely unnecessary. Hell a tiny ribbon is unnecessary. But I bet it is more comfortable than a headband on a newborn. 

I guess girls need to learn right from the start that looks are more important than comfort for fundie women. Whereas boy babies can just be as they are. It's so symbolic it hurts...

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Those are ridiculous, in the photo the bow is legitimately bigger than the baby's head. Putting a light hat and blanket on the baby, you're I'm NJ and it's chilly. These people!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic