IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 11: She's a Scarab Beetle

Coconut Flan

17 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I don’t particularly think Meghan and Harry are all that happy.

I'm sure you hope they are unhappy! 

Honestly, I have no idea if they are happy.  Perhaps they're unhappy, who knows? I don't see any signs of it, though.

Money is nice, but can't make you happy.  But good health, a loving spouse and children, being near natural beauty, satisfying work--those things CAN make you happy, and the Sussex's have all that.

I suspect they are a lot happier than when they were in England, with the Queen scolding them if they eat at a reception or instructing them on what color to wear. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 4

44 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

If Kate could go out shopping, to bars, restaurants and resorts, why couldn't she go out to a job?

Or do some community service?

The media was so intrusive that she couldn't work, but she could go shopping, out to eat, drinking, fly on holidays and go to resorts?

She did try to work and the media presence at her job made it unsafe for not only her, but for the other employees as well. There’s a huge difference between going to a restaurant and going to a 9-5 job. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

Meghan didn't sit around mooning about the royals when she was young. She had a busy, active life, even as a kid.

She performed in many school plays. Was chosen Homecoming Queen (at a neighboring boys school). Worked as a volunteer on Skid Row for many years. Graduated HS with many honors.  Went to a top-tier college. Joined a sorority. Went to parties. Dated a lot. Built lasting friendships. Developed relationships with mentors. Went to auditions. Acted on Suits.  Had a glamorous first wedding.

A busy,, full life. I don't think she envied an unhappy woman across the pond, in a loveless marriage whose life was bound by archaic rules. Why would she "wannabee" Diana? I think Diana would've had a "Wannabee" crush on her.

This seems to be an awful lot to know about someone you have supposedly never met.  Is there that much informative literature out there about her life? I am asking this honestly because I have never spent much time reading up on somebody I'm not totally invested in.  Many school plays?  Graduated with many honors?  Relationships with mentors?  I've never seen a picture of her first wedding, are those out there to freely find?  This is puzzling.

Edited by SoSoNosy
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Ok- wtf? Is being Homecoming Queen anything to be proud of after school? Is that something adults still harp on about? Is that one of those strange US things no one else gets because it’s pretty pointless?

I don’t care if K sat tight, grinded her teeth and waited till Wiliam proposed. Most women wait for the men to propose still? Is that something admirable? Not necessarily. If she got what she wanted, by analysing the situation and acting accordingly, maybe. If that is a crown or a heart or both, who knows but her and her confidants. As long as W&K are happy everything is fine.

H&M had a bit of a quicker progression. Actually it’s not that unusual. Marrying before thirty is not as common (actually pretty eye brow worthy if you are u25) so younger couples have long relationships till they do it. Older couples jump quicker into it. But most still live together for at least some months. Jumping into marriage from long distance with also moving to a new country is risky. It’s still a valid decision. It just puts more pressure on the individual. I think H&M might have underestimated this.

I think both women are absolutely fine for living the life they chose. Be it acting or waiting (let’s face it Kate would never have gotten an ordinary job, she would have married well off and worked part time in a gallery or for a charity. Which is also fine.)

There also plenty of very valid reasons to criticise K. Just as there are good reasons to praise M. But this thread is obviously to talk about H&M and at the moment there are just plenty of screw ups. W&K hold a lower profile and they already have about 5 years of almost constant criticism and bashing on their back. 

If you had asked me last year, I would have said I am disappointed because they hold so much potential. But the more I see the more I start to wonder if I overestimated them?

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, viii said:

Harry and Meghan spoke at the One Young World summit and she looked gorgeous. 

You think so? I definitely think M is a beautiful woman. But this ensemble looks bad. The sleek hair is pretty harsh, but then I loved her messy buns and defended them whenever I could. The top looks frumpy and the wide trousers give quite some wrinkles(?). And I think this bright red isn’t doing her any favours. At least when it’s too close to her face. The red dress with the plunging neckline looked pretty, but the one at the military event in the UK has the same problem. M can look quite a bit younger, so it’s always a little shock to be reminded that she is over 40.

Here a little collage to show what I mean about the bright red & high neckline problem. Interestingly enough she always seem to pair it with sleek hair.

3923ED36-E833-4E18-9F08-CDADD28FC765.jpeg

Edited by just_ordinary

I, personally, don’t love the all red look. The red blouse with scarf, red wide legged trousers, and red shoes was too much for me. Too matchy-matchy. Maybe because it was with the slicked back hair as @just_ordinary pointed out. I think that high slick ponytail look can be a little severe on her. 

Apart from that, the speech didn’t have much to do with women’s empowerment apart from M talking about herself. I’m shocked. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Ok- wtf? Is being Homecoming Queen anything to be proud of after school? Is that something adults still harp on about? Is that one of those strange US things no one else gets because it’s pretty pointless?

My daughter was prom queen in high school. She was excited, of course, but blew it off by the following week, basically, while I--who had been an absolute nobody in high school and never dreamed I'd have a daughter so popular in school she'd be voted prom queen for crying out loud!-- was so happy for her I could have exploded. I've kept it to myself all these years, ever since the first thrill died down a bit, because who wants their mother nattering on about it fifteen, twenty years later? LOL. But anyway, the answer to your question is, yes, it's something to be proud of but no, it's not something to keep harping on once you've graduated high school! 😆

• Upvote 5

I am sure our super fan might pull up the FACT!1! that Meghan Markle was potty trained 3 month's earlier and ate all her strained carrots every time as a mark of superiority and glorious work ethic over some useless rich lazy baby girl who did not ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

No, red is not Meghan Markle's color.  Look at the photo where it's easy to see she wears it to stand out in a look at me way.  A different outfit would have blended with proceedings better, been more dignified, and less of an attention grab.  It's like on another thread someone asking if MIL wearing flame orange to a wedding was an attention grab.  Why yes it obviously is.  

She's never going to give up on the attention hungry inner child. 

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

No, red is not Meghan Markle's color.  

As much as I love the color red, I agree that red mostly doesn't suit her well.   It may depend on the shade and design though.  Years ago I had one of those "color analysis" things to determine what were flattering colors for me and learned that often it depends on the shade.  I can't wear yellows, oranges or browns but a lemon yellow works, a coral-orange color works and a chocolate brown works. But only those.  So with Meghan it may be that she has to stick with a certain shade of red for it to work for her.

Also design, I liked the evening gown with the plunge neckline which I think worked because the color was not right up to her face as opposed to something next to her face. 

In any case, that bright red sure was an attention grabber, we are here talking about it. :)   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Also design, I liked the evening gown with the plunge neckline which I think worked because the color was not right up to her face as opposed to something next to her face. 

It's true when it isn't next to her face the red works better and I think she looks better in a pure red to a pink-red than orange-red.  That plunging neckline dress would have worked so much better if she'd had it fitted properly.  That was a lousy fit on that one.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, Coconut Flan said:

It's true when it isn't next to her face the red works better and I think she looks better in a pure red to a pink-red than orange-red.  That plunging neckline dress would have worked so much better if she'd had it fitted properly.  That was a lousy fit on that one.  

That is what I was thinking, that the orange-red doesn't work but more blue-red shades would. 

The plunging neckline was good but agree there were some fit issues with the dress.   I couldn't get what was up with the skirt design.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

You think so?

Well, I likely wouldn't have said it unless I meant it, so.... yes, I do think Meghan looked really beautiful at this event. I think she pulls off red nicely, the only thing I would have changed is perhaps less bronzer on her face. But overall, I think her and Harry both looked good. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't know anything about this organization, is it just posturing or do they actually do something? I looked up the website and can't really tell.

https://www.oneyoungworld.com/

I haven’t looked into it but I’m going with posturing if your first response is that you “can’t really tell.”

• Upvote 3

Pretty shiny people that aren’t bad at looking good but That are very good at looking bad though :) 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't know anything about this organization, is it just posturing or do they actually do something? I looked up the website and can't really tell.

https://www.oneyoungworld.com/

Checking out that website, and it seems like a networking opportunity for young people. 

She grabbed my attention when she showed up at Westminster Abbey wrapped from head to foot in bright green; she also knew exactly where every single camera was, and made a point of smiling directly into each one.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, viii said:

She did try to work and the media presence at her job made it unsafe for not only her, but for the other employees as well. There’s a huge difference between going to a restaurant and going to a 9-5 job. 

LOL, I don't think she went to ONE restaurant. !!

And restaurants would have left Kate FAR more exposed to media onslaught.

Anyone can enter a restaurant. Customers at other tables can take your picture. Waiters might sneak your picture. People can peer in through the windows. People can text their friends, who'll be waiting outside the door when she leaves.

In contrast, a  job provides tons more security. First of all, your employer will certainly know about your media problem. Companies have  security and receptionists. They can screen who comes in and out. They can give Kate an office with a door she can shut. They can have her work in a non-public area. Her co-workers will get used to her presence, become her friends and so would be unlikely to take her picture without permission.

If she wanted to keep away from the media, a job was the way to go!

And she did work for Jigsaw part-time, but it lasted less than a year. I suspect it interfered with her social life, and limited her ability to go off with Wills at a moment's notice. I don't think it was "media presence" that kept her from working. It was a desire to be constantly available for her boyfriend, and perhaps a general sense of entitlement and indolence.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 4

11 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I don't know if homecoming queen is something to be proud of or not. It depends on the person, I guess. 

Mooning boys at your school is definitely NOT something to be proud of.  If you are going to slut-shame Meghan for being Homecoming Queen, you need to take a look at Kate's behavior.

In Meghan's case, getting elected was a process.  Remember, she didn't go to the school that elected her. She had to go through interviews, provide proof of community service, etc. I'm sure being gorgeous helped (it was a boys school, after all), but it was a process.  After going through all that, she probably is proud of it, and good for her! 

There are worse things ("Look at my naked butt, boys!") she could have been doing.  She did years and years of work on Skid Row, as a teenager. Not every teen ("Look, Kate's at it again!") spends their time helping others.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

If you are going to slut-shame Meghan for being Homecoming Queen, you need to take a look at Kate's behavior.

It's just absolutely pathetic. 

Also, @Jackie3, YOU mentioned Kate going to restaurants first. Unlike you, I don't keep up with Kate's daily activities, so I just assumed you knew what you were talking about. Silly me. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

There are many thousands teenagers volunteering for their communities, non profits and just ordinary people who need help every single day in this country and probably other countries at any given time so Meghan is not extraordinary in that regard either. I know  a lot of young people who help in impoverished communities. Laudable but not rare. 

But Kate was busy as well.

She graduated with honors in her chosen course of study. 

Studied at the British institute in Florence 

She travelled to Chile with William for The Raleigh international program. 

Studied Psychology for before Deciding on An art major.

Raised Funds for UNICEF by organizing a photography exhibition…

• Upvote 1

In many high schools in California at the time Meghan graduated community service was a requirement. I rather expect her Catholic school did as did the ones in our diocese.  My kids' school did.  Guess what?  I've never heard a one of my kids brag about any of their service projects.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic