IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 11: She's a Scarab Beetle

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Well I think a lot of the time people on the Meghan thread are responding to you...   Despite your disgust of Andrew, you didn't feel driven to post on his thread since June either so it's probably not a valid measure of moral approval or lack thereof.

Actually, some of us are indulging in “block user,” and are only peripherally aware of what certain people are posting— never mind responding to them.  (Of course, responding to those who respond to the posts you are not seeing can also keep the discussion going 😉)

My take on why there is more activity in this section than in some others is that, as others have said, there is news.  Folks generally don’t discuss things that are past over and over…

No, wait!  Meghan Markle and Harry do.  🙄

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

I find the article pretty strange. Because it flip flops between over saccharine stuff and some things that read like the author doesn’t like her at all. 
And comparing M marrying into the RF to Nelson Mandela walking free is….. well I have no words. And while I can see someone (some people just get too invested) feeling that way and expressing it, that’s most definitely not something to repeat in an interview (and what is it about SA? Did I miss the fact that M ancestors from her mothers side originally came from SA? What about the other African countries? Are they not just as possible? Why would SA dancing in the streets????). That’s such an open flank and will follow her just like „3 days prior“ and „recollections may vary“. 
I wonder how long the US will suck all that shit up before they are a tragic laughing stock on both sides of the pond.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

On 8/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, Jackie3 said:

1. Choose an expensive designer gown to wear to the movie premiere. Your dresser cleans and presses it.  Select some diamonds and rubies to wear.

2. Your dresser helps you into your gown. Your hair, nails and makeup people work their magic. You look great.

3.  Leave instructions with your nanny. Give your kids a kiss.

4. A luxury limo is right outside your door. Your security detail clears the traffic to the cinema. You are dropped off exactly in front of the theatre.

5.  Someone opens the limo door for you. Walk into the theatre while smiling at cameras. Accept delicious refreshments (no charge). Everyone bows or curtsies to you, and laughs at all your jokes.

5. You are led to the best seat in the house.  No one blocks your view. You are offered drinks. Watch the film. 

6. Chat with the stars of the film, who fawn over you. Receive some costly souvenirs relating to the premiere.

7. Your luxury limo is waiting for you in front of the theatre. It's raining, but someone holds an umbrella over your head. Your driver opens the door. Step in the limo.

8. Your driver takes you home. The traffic has been cleared for you again. The driver pulls right up to your door.

9. Arrive home. There is a small meal waiting and a bath is drawn. Your dresser hangs up your gown.

You're home from work!

Sounds like an introvert's idea of hell.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

As usual that’s a vast exaggeration. These kind Glamorous movie premiers and the jewel/designer gown events are a very very small portion of Royal activities. Mostly it’s taking meetings and visits to charities, patronages, schools Etc. 

Also Current Royal parents are very hands on with their children and spend as much time as they possibly can  given their schedules and duties. There are more than a few who regularly take their toddlers out to places they visit. Presumably so they get used to and learn how  to deal with people, crowds and photogs early.  They don’t have a chance to turn into an introvert in the first place. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

As usual that’s a vast exaggeration. These kind Glamorous movie premiers and the jewel/designer gown events are a very very small portion of Royal activities. Mostly it’s taking meetings and visits to charities, patronages, schools Etc. 

Also Current Royal parents are very hands on with their children and spend as much time as they possibly can  given their schedules and duties. There are more than a few who regularly take their toddlers out to places they visit. Presumably so they get used to and learn how  to deal with people, crowds and photogs early.  They don’t have a chance to turn into an introvert in the first place. 

Additionally, the only royals currently reported to have dressers are the Queen and Charles. It’s often been reported that the Cambridges have a very small household staff—a nanny and part time cleaners. 

Google also tells me that the Cambridges have attended seven movie premiere in eleven years of marriage. That’s hardly their main job. Not even close. 

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Also Current Royal parents are very hands on with their children and spend as much time as they possibly can  given their schedules and duties.

They have said this about every royal, for decades. Read some old newspapers about the Queen Mother. They said this about her. They certainly said it about Diana. Every royal in history was "hands on" unless they fell out of favor with the press (or are mixed race).

Really, it's exactly the message that the royals want. It's great you believe it, though.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Google also tells me that the Cambridges have attended seven movie premiere in eleven years of marriage. That’s hardly their main job. Not even close. 

Did you think that every royal engagement is a movie premiere? LOL, they do plenty of other things, too. The same designer clothes, jewels, limos, fawning people, curtseys and fine food are involved there, too. They aren't taking the bus to open the Chelsea Flower Show.

My leisure activities are harder and more demanding than their "work"! In fact, their "work" would be my idea of a fun luxury adventure.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Additionally, the only royals currently reported to have dressers are the Queen and Charles. It’s often been reported that the Cambridges have a very small household staff—a nanny and part time cleaners. 

According to a recent article about the move to Adelaide Cottage,  the Cambridges employ a cook, a housekeeper and a nanny.  None of them will be living in.

I am sure they also have other people come in for special tasks.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I’m nobody special and I outsource lots of household tasks. I work too hard to spend my weekends cleaning or pulling weeds out of flower beds.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I'm a stay at home mom who has the privilege who uses a housecleaning service on occasion.  I'm hardly Cambridge levels of wealthy.  Honestly, their staff seems very reasonable.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

30 minutes ago, treehugger said:

I'm a stay at home mom who has the privilege who uses a housecleaning service on occasion.  I'm hardly Cambridge levels of wealthy.  Honestly, their staff seems very reasonable.  

I often think I should call a cleaning service to come in every couple of weeks for the things that are getting difficult for me to do on my own--cleaning bathrooms, scrubbing the kitchen floor, vacuuming, that sort of thing. I'm certainly not in the Cambridge league of wealth, either, nor even anywhere close to Lori Alexander's wealth (she of multi-million dollar home, housekeeper and nanny fame), but I'm now at the point in my life where I can afford some help. The Cambridge's level of help is pretty modest for people in their circles.

• Upvote 13

The Cambridges are trying to sell the “modern monarchy” storyline. It would not scan well to have 2 Nannie’s, maids , gardeners Etc. But the days  of Downton Abbey or Upstairs, Downstairs  type staff have been passed for almost a hundred years. Unless they are the Monarch most Royals get by with the minimum of Housekeeper and Nanny with help brought in for special occasions. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

According to a recent article about the move to Adelaide Cottage,  the Cambridges employ a cook, a housekeeper and a nanny.  None of them will be living in.

Yet none of those people would be dressing Kate for the movie premieres Her Trollness described as their primary job—of course, she then denied this when faced with the actual number of movie premieres they have actually attended. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Loveday said:

I often think I should call a cleaning service to come in every couple of weeks for the things that are getting difficult for me to do on my own--cleaning bathrooms, scrubbing the kitchen floor, vacuuming, that sort of thing. I'm certainly not in the Cambridge league of wealth, either, nor even anywhere close to Lori Alexander's wealth (she of multi-million dollar home, housekeeper and nanny fame), but I'm now at the point in my life where I can afford some help. The Cambridge's level of help is pretty modest for people in their circles.

I wish I could fix my very bad sentence structure in my first sentence 😂. Oh well.

You should!  I don’t do it often, but it is such a relief to know that if I don’t get to something because life is busy, I don’t need to stress about it.  I find I can usually keep on top of the basic stuff, but it is so nice to have help with the deep cleaning.  I also don’t have any family nearby to help with the kids or other stuff, so I use the tools I do have.  

We really need to de-stigmatize asking for and getting help.  It’s ok to not be able to do it all.  And it’s ok to hire someone to help.  Men do this all the time - I know of very few men who don’t use the services of a mechanic (even for simple things like oil changes), or a dry-cleaners, or hiring a lawn-service or a handyman.  But women are expected to do it all when it comes to household management.  It’s ridiculous. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

14 minutes ago, treehugger said:

I wish I could fix my very bad sentence structure in my first sentence 😂. Oh well.

You should!  I don’t do it often, but it is such a relief to know that if I don’t get to something because life is busy, I don’t need to stress about it.  I find I can usually keep on top of the basic stuff, but it is so nice to have help with the deep cleaning.  I also don’t have any family nearby to help with the kids or other stuff, so I use the tools I do have.  

We really need to de-stigmatize asking for and getting help.  It’s ok to not be able to do it all.  And it’s ok to hire someone to help.  Men do this all the time - I know of very few men who don’t use the services of a mechanic (even for simple things like oil changes), or a dry-cleaners, or hiring a lawn-service or a handyman.  But women are expected to do it all when it comes to household management.  It’s ridiculous. 

Totally agree, especially with that last bit! 

I'm just thinking I should wait til I really can't do stuff anymore, I don't want to spend money on help before I REALLY need it. Right now, I can still do everything, but I've noticed it takes me far longer. I used to clean a bathroom in half an hour, 45 minutes tops if I was doing a really deep clean, but these days it will take me hours because I need to take breaks and go do something less strenuous. And getting down on my knees to scrub my kitchen floor (I don't do that every single time, I usually use a sponge mop, but once in awhile it just NEEDS that!) is just this side of impossible now. I don't want to ask my husband, he does a LOT around the house as it is, and his knees aren't exactly youthful anymore, either, though you'd never hear him admit it! So...I guess it might well be time to call someone. Ugh. 

And while we're on the subject of advancing age, if I get one. more. phone. call. from someone trying to sell me Medicare Plan Alphabet Soup, I'm going to scream. 🤬:laughing-rolling:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

In regards to Meghan's quote in the Serena podcast stating that "'We rejoiced in the streets the same we did when Mandela was freed from prison'" the only South African actor in The Lion King has come forward to state that he was not in attendance at the London premiere, has never knowingly met Meghan Markle, and that "Harry and Meghan's nuptials were 'no big deal' in his country, adding: 'I cannot even tell you now what month she married or what year'."  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11164935/Mystery-Meghan-Markles-Nelson-Mandela-claims-actor-insists-NEVER-met-Duchess.html 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 13

27 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Something is not right with her and showing 

more and more.

This video agrees:

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

1 hour ago, Melbelle said:

In regards to Meghan's quote in the Serena podcast stating that "'We rejoiced in the streets the same we did when Mandela was freed from prison'" the only South African actor in The Lion King has come forward to state that he was not in attendance at the London premiere, has never knowingly met Meghan Markle, and that "Harry and Meghan's nuptials were 'no big deal' in his country, adding: 'I cannot even tell you now what month she married or what year'."  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11164935/Mystery-Meghan-Markles-Nelson-Mandela-claims-actor-insists-NEVER-met-Duchess.html 

Why invent a lie so detailed yet so easely disproven? I really don't understand her reasoning

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

I saw something which said the composer of the soundtrack was there is South African and was photographed seeing Meghan, so it could have been him and Meghan mistook him for a cast member. That's not proven, of course.

That said, surely if someone tells you that South Africans "rejoiced in the streets the same as we did when Mandela was freed from prison", you take it as a polite, massive over-exaggeration? Actually thinking that the wedding of an American mixed race woman to a British white prince had South Africans dancing in the streets en masse seems really narcissistic.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

It's not like they can put an ad in the Help Wanted section of Craigslist or BST Windsor for a 16 yo to babysit, pull weeds or whatever task they want to out-source for some reason.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LilaMae said:

I saw something which said the composer of the soundtrack was there is South African and was photographed seeing Meghan, so it could have been him and Meghan mistook him for a cast member. That's not proven, of course.

That said, surely if someone tells you that South Africans "rejoiced in the streets the same as we did when Mandela was freed from prison", you take it as a polite, massive over-exaggeration? Actually thinking that the wedding of an American mixed race woman to a British white prince had South Africans dancing in the streets en masse seems really narcissistic.

Frankly, I could see it as somebody’s sarcasm.

Imagine, you are talking to this self-absorbed, narcissistic woman and she is babbling away about herself and her marriage and so forth and she asks you, “What did people in your country think of my wedding?”

Might you not be tempted to reply, “Oh, yeah.  We were thrilled. We danced in the streets the way we did when…”  And then be surprised that she didn’t hear the sarcasm and is quoting you on podcasts and interviews?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 19

• Coconut Flan locked this topic