IGNORED

Lori Alexander 80: So Warm and Inviting

25 minutes ago, KDA said:

She also has a nephew who is gay and she loves him and accepts him exactly as he is. I'm not sure that Lori would be so accepting of a gay family member.

I'm pretty sure Lori said once she would turn her back on any child of hers who wasn't "walking in truth".  Or she would prefer they'd never been born.  Something along those lines. I don't recall her exact words, but they were awful.

• Sad 4

Real time kerfuffle going on at the TTW.  Lori has put up yet another post on sleep training after putting up and deleting 2-3 over the past couple of days.  All have gotten heavy negative blow back.   But she refuses to back down.  She is deleting any comments that disagree with her--including ones that say she needs to move on.  Her delete finger is going to be worn out!  

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 1

Lori and the fangirls leghumpers go on and on bragging about their children sleeping for 12 straight hours from about 6 weeks-2 months.

I don't have children, but is this normal? Don't newborns eat every 2-4 hours (breast or bottle)?  To my mind a 6-week old baby is a newborn.   If a newborn isn't feeding for 12 hours isn't there a danger of under- or malnourishment?

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Lori and the fangirls leghumpers go on and on bragging about their children sleeping for 12 straight hours from about 6 weeks-2 months.

I don't have children, but is this normal? Don't newborns eat every 2-4 hours (breast or bottle)?  To my mind a 6-week old baby is a newborn.   If a newborn isn't feeding for 12 hours isn't there a danger of under- or malnourishment?

IIRC, 12 hours of sleep at a stretch starts in later babyhood, maybe a year old or so when they give up one of their daytime naps? IttyBitty has yet to put together that long a stretch of sleep...she's a professional cat-napper. I don't think my kids slept 12 hours at a shot until they were teenagers. Babies usually request the milk trolley every 1 to 6 hours. Depends on the kid. Newborns (less than 2 months old) are usually looking for a meal every 2-4 hours. As they get closer to 2 months (and a certain weight that I forget), they may hit a 6 hour stretch overnight. 

Lori is a fucking monster. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

You're right. For pediatricians, sleep all thru the night means sleep 5 or 6 hours. Definitely, a 6 weeks baby sleeping 12 hours is dangerous. I know a few babies do it naturally, but doctors reccommend feeding them during that time.

Lori is posting about sleep training because Alyssa has trained her daughter, as she did with Gideon. She can't cope with sleepless nights, which I understand, but one thing is helping the baby sleep and other is putting a little baby in the crib for 12 hours non-stop! I wonder how many crying hours are involved. If you need your baby "dissapear" for 12 hours... Mmm... Doesn't sound good. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

10 hours ago, kpmom said:

I'm pretty sure Lori said once she would turn her back on any child of hers who wasn't "walking in truth".  Or she would prefer they'd never been born.  Something along those lines. I don't recall her exact words, but they were awful.

Why does that not surprise me? I find it absolutely disgusting, though. And I don't understand it at all. I just don't understand the concept of any parent being able to turn their back on their child for any reason. I can understand being disappointed in your child - I've been there with mine. Physically holding him down so he can't bash the nurse in hospital after a car crash, when he's coming down off drugs, and then fishing a huge tin of drugs out of his pocket with a street value of thousands, and a big wad of cash, was pretty disappointing. But I couldn't turn my back on him. I don't understand how any mother ever could. Especially not for something as ridiculous as "not walking in truth" or even loving someone of the same gender. Bad choices, especially repeated really bad choices, I could (almost) understand. But not for being a perfectly nice, decent human being following a different path to Lori.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

6 hours ago, KDA said:

But I couldn't turn my back on him. I don't understand how any mother ever could. Especially not for something as ridiculous as "not walking in truth" or even loving someone of the same gender. Bad choices, especially repeated really bad choices, I could (almost) understand. But not for being a perfectly nice, decent human being following a different path to Lori.

None of my kids share my beliefs. So? I didn't turn my back when she went to prison. I didn't turn my back when he accused me of things I didn't do (it was the PTSD talking). I didn't turn my back when he came out to me. I won't turn my back on them. EVER. Their lives, their paths in life are theirs, not mine. They will choose, same as I did. My love for my kids is unconditional. I'm always here when they turn around. I won't be the one to turn around, I'm always right here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

14 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I don't have kids either, but I'd be seriously worried about a baby that young sleeping that long. Like take them to the pediatrician worried. 

A baby's stomach is about the size of their fist and their entire job is to eat and grow. They definitely need feeding more often than that. And frankly I can't imagine being OK with a baby sleeping that long. Like, if you both sleep through the night, sure. But if I'm awake and it's been 12 hours and the baby's still asleep, I'm at least going to go check on them. And if the baby is nursing, wouldn't mom be like "ok wake up and nurse already, my boobs are aching" or something, at just 6 weeks? Why do these people have so many babies if they hate babies so much?

At daycare we would offer the crib babies food every 2-3 hours, generally. And the toddlers got snacks. Heck, we even had snacks for the after schoolers. I kept a toddler and a preschooler for a full week once, living with them at their home. The toddler always got some yogurt as a snack just before bed, so he didn't wake up hungry in the middle of the night. If the preschooler asked, she'd get a snack too. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

At daycare we would offer the crib babies food every 2-3 hours, generally. And the toddlers got snacks. Heck, we even had snacks for the after schoolers. I kept a toddler and a preschooler for a full week once, living with them at their home. The toddler always got some yogurt as a snack just before bed, so he didn't wake up hungry in the middle of the night. If the preschooler asked, she'd get a snack too. 

Pretty much if they were awake and I'd offer food, my kids would take it. Well, my oldest ate like a bird from ages 2 -4. I waited for my boys to do the same thing and well, my "baby" is 31 and I'm still waiting. Some kids do that not eating much thing for awhile but they usually outgrow it. However, I seem to remember frequent snacking at those ages. 1/2 an apple, maybe a banana, cup of milk, maybe even a cookie or 2. 

Even my fat ass will have a snack before bed. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

None of my kids share my beliefs. So? I didn't turn my back when she went to prison. I didn't turn my back when he accused me of things I didn't do (it was the PTSD talking). I didn't turn my back when he came out to me. I won't turn my back on them. EVER. Their lives, their paths in life are theirs, not mine. They will choose, same as I did. My love for my kids is unconditional. I'm always here when they turn around. I won't be the one to turn around, I'm always right here. 

Yes! You sound like a normal, loving mother.

When I said repeated bad choices, I was thinking specifically of a friend of mine. Her oldest son murdered her youngest son. And in her grief, she did turn her back on him for a time. It was the only way she could cope.

• Sad 3
  • Love 3

23 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I've had friends whose babies slept all night from the day they came home from the hospital. Mine, however, didn't sleep all night for almost 2 years 

Sleep is complex and babies are different. The poor fundie non-sleeping infant! He starts out his life in shame and conflict. His mother hangs her head in shame and failure when her friends brag about their sleep-trained infants. A dark cloud hangs over his relationship with his mother from the start. 

Who was that fundie loon who adopted an infant from maybe a foreign country and started sleep training in the hotel?

• Upvote 4

Today Lori focuses on 'the big picture' (her opinions) in contrast with what women's lived experiences. She hits all of her favorite unbiblical hot topics:

College! (never mentioned in the Bible) is bad in 'the big picture' because of student debt. Student debt hurts women, but it's fine for men. Sexual promiscuitiy is also a problem that hurts women but is fine for men. Turning from 'the faith of their parents' also bad for women but fine for men. 

The issue of student debt is particularly bad because it causes women to work while they are also parenting (bad for women, fine for men) leading to the use of childcare (bad if women share childcare responsibility with professionals, but fine if men let their wives handle everything to do with 'raising' children). This use of childcare, "has caused great destruction to marriages, families, children, women, and our nation. THIS is the big picture!"

It's almost as if Lori doesn't know that many working families use childcare in order to hold jobs just to make ends meet -- with or without student debt.

Keepers at home! (Lori's favorite way to imagine she understands Greek words better than Greek scholars) Even though people's lived experiences and formal studies show that children thrive equally well with at-home parenting vs the use of childcare -- Lori doesn't care. "The big picture" is that data is wrong and Lori's opinions are right.

Without any data support Lori asserts that working out of the home has a direct relationship with the divorce rate, the rate of women's depression and suicide, general 'stress', and other unspecified "wickedness". Whether this supposedly happens whenever women leave their houses, or just for employed work is unclear.

Submission! (Lori's second-favorite way to imagine she understands Greek words better than Greek scholars) Even though people's lived experiences and sociological data show the deep connectedness between a viewing women as subordinates to their husbands and domestic violence -- Lori doesn't care. Women tell Lori their true stories in tears, but Lori ignores them. "The big picture" is that all of those completely obvious patterns and connections are false, and wifely submission never hurts anyone.

For bossypants Lori, if a man isn't going to boss his wife around, then obviously the wife is going to boss her husband around! Therefore people need to put the man in charge for the sake of 'peace'. Lori has no concept of a loving partnership that doesn't need a boss. The Bible builds a beautiful picture of spouses who take care of each other without needing to push each other around -- but Lori doesn't like those parts, so she doesn't read them.

Voting! (Never mentioned in the Bible) Lori is now openly against votes for women. She thinks, "Women overwhelmingly vote Democrat" -- whereas my little bit of research seems to point to nothing "overwhelming" about the slight edge Democrats have with American women, nor are is the female vote responsible, as Lori claims, for all of the Democrat presidents since they gained the vote. Lori claims that American women like abortion and large government... which, I don't know, maybe they do? If they do, why does that mean they shouldn't vote? I don't really understand her point here. I guess just that Lori thinks men see "the big picture" because Lori's opinions lean Republican?

Female Preachers! (Both mentioned and praised in the Bible) Even though, by evidence and experience, anyone can learn to preach and men and women seem equally gifted in this area -- "the big picture" says that God thinks what Lori thinks anyways. Lori thinks female preachers play to the audience more than men (Really?) and 'water down' what they teach from the Bible. (Why would they?) 

Lori claims women are more easily deceived than men (which the Bible never says) and are living in rebellion to God when they preach his word to his people. For Lori only men can strengthen the faith of others or offer the Biblical teaching... because penises matter for public speaking.

For the proof text, Lori has Paul's good advice to Titus about how to live as a Christian. It's excellent! It has nothing to do with voting, preaching, housework or a college education. Lori just made the whole thing up.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 3/11/2022 at 6:59 PM, Cults-r-us said:

Who was that fundie loon who adopted an infant from maybe a foreign country and started sleep training in the hotel?

Please say this isn’t so!  It’s bad enough for Alyssa to be bragging about sleep training August (aka her personal need to spend hours a day away from her newly adopted infant daughter), but to think of an older baby who’s world has been suddenly turned upside down being immediately left to CIO truly breaks my heart. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I find all of the “training” (it’s in quotes because to me it’s abuse). Fundies do their children to be horrible. But sleep training an infant is right up there with the worst of the worst. I’ve never had a kid and I even know that from newborn up to two years children are notorious for not sleeping, or having erratic sleeping habits. Yes there is the infant here and there who might get most of a nights sleep early on but it seems rare from what my friends and cousins with kids say. I would actually be worried if I had an infant sleep all night. I don’t understand and probably never will how their religion professes to love babies but treats children beginning at infancy as little robots that just need programmed to obey every command, or else fear the consequences. 

As for Lori saying she’d basically cut off and abandon any child not walking in what she believes to be the truth, well that’s about as low as a parent can get. My siblings and I all have variations of beliefs based on what our parents taught us. We don’t disrespect what they do faith wise, and they’ve yet to disrespect our beliefs. It’s really not hard. I cannot imagine how truly miserable Lori must be. To live this gift called life with such a constantly dour attitude about almost everything in existence. If she’s like this via blog/social media she must be beyond insufferable in person. 

On 3/10/2022 at 8:30 AM, Loveday said:

Wait, is she saying that SHE made her sister's diaphragm disappear??!! 😮 That's not just manipulative, it's downright criminal. She should be arrested for that!

I agree. Also, what if she was preventing conception because of a medical issue that would have made pregnancy dangerous or deadly? How awful would the other person have felt about that? As I type this I’m  realizing someone terrible enough to throw birth control out for another person probably doesn’t care about consequences.  It does happen. My hackles are up on crap like this right now, because I don’t know what’s in the air but this is the third story I’ve heard this week about people messing with other peoples birth control. I’ve had some reproductive health problems recently and reading this stuff makes me feel especially vulnerable. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

On 3/10/2022 at 5:30 AM, Loveday said:

Wait, is she saying that SHE made her sister's diaphragm disappear??!! 😮 That's not just manipulative, it's downright criminal. She should be arrested for that!

Let me get this straight. This writer has a brother who was married very recently. She goes camping with the brother and his wife. Presumably, she is just getting to know the new wife, who is new to the family. She decides these newlyweds should have a honeymoon baby. Why, who knows? The wife has a career as an attorney, and most likely the writer doesn't approve of that.

Somehow she knows this couple is using birth control, specifically a diaphragm. She also knows they've probably brought it with them. Finding an opportune moment, she fishes around in their bags, finds the diaphagm, and chucks it. She somehow knows they won't be able to resist having sex.

The couple have sex--despite the fact that their relatives are presumably only a few feet away. I assume they were in a tent. No idea why they were sharing a sleeping bag, is that a thing?  Nine months later, the woman's deceit is rewarded when they have a baby. Apparently, they were camping exactly during the woman's ovulation period.

This story is too bizarre.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

10 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

Please say this isn’t so!  It’s bad enough for Alyssa to be bragging about sleep training August (aka her personal need to spend hours a day away from her newly adopted infant daughter), but to think of an older baby who’s world has been suddenly turned upside down being immediately left to CIO truly breaks my heart. 

I am thinking it was someone from when Above Rubies was encouraging foreign adoption. In many instances, the dumb, rigid and tone deaf fundie parenting practices produced some sad situations because they couldn't accommodate the adopted child's trauma and experience. 

On 3/12/2022 at 3:09 PM, feministxtian said:

She really needs to get a new soapbox

Several new soapboxes.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:17 PM, kpmom said:

Lori does not have normal attachments to other people. She would not have trouble shit-canning anybody in her circle (except Ken, her ATM machine) because she doesn't have the bond other mothers have with their kids. She has no capacity to unselfishly love anyone. It's like a birth defect. She is socially impaired.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

From the 3/14 blog post called "Preparing for the Future:"

Many are worried about the future these days. We have a wicked tyrant as our president with an evil agenda to destroy America. It can all seem so frightening and overwhelming, can’t it?

I considered making a comment similar to this:  "Is this an older post?  The tyrant was voted out back in 2020."  However, it would just be deleted and I would be banned. 😉

Seriously, how can anyone view Biden as a wicked tyrant?  He seems grandfatherly to me.

• I Agree 11

18 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

I considered making a comment similar to this:  "Is this an older post?  The tyrant was voted out back in 2020."  However, it would just be deleted and I would be banned. 😉

Seriously, how can anyone view Biden as a wicked tyrant?  He seems grandfatherly to me.

To be fair, a lot of actual tyrants "seem grandfatherly" at some point in their careers.

Really, none of your presidents have been tyrants. You have a functional democracy and your presidents have defined powers as well as limitations. You couldn't have a tyrant without having a revolution of some kind.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, Pammy said:

To be fair, a lot of actual tyrants "seem grandfatherly" at some point in their careers.

Really, none of your presidents have been tyrants. You have a functional democracy and your presidents have defined powers as well as limitations. You couldn't have a tyrant without having a revolution of some kind.

Well, Trump's people certainly tried. And I have NO doubt whatsoever if Trump had managed to be elected for a second term he'd have 100% become a dictator if at all possible. But this is Lori. Up is down. Red is green. Lies are truth. Trump is Godly. She lives in opposite land.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 12

On 3/15/2022 at 5:51 PM, crawfishgirl said:

Agreed. An while no president or man is 100% perfect, I believe him to be well-meaning and conciliatory. Never once do you hear "I ALONE can fix it" "I am a brilliant genius" or anything me, me, me. He gives credit to others.  He doesn't kiss up to dictators.  I am so sick of his detractors making fun of his speech and using it to point out "his dementia" (he overcame severe stuttering as a child and still struggles with it)   And he's an actual church going Christian, but it doesn't count to Lori and her ilk because he's not the "right kind" (Catholic). Sure there are many things I wish he'd do different, but he's way better than the former guy. 

I have to laugh every time Lori refers to Biden as a tyrant, wicked, evil, etc I have to laugh. I don't know how she and a whole bunch of supposed Christians got hooked into believing was a decent human being. 

Don't look now but Lori in FaceBook jail for 30 days! How many times has she ben in jail? 3-4?  How many strikes untill they ban you forever?

• Upvote 10

49 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

Don't look now but Lori in FaceBook jail for 30 days! How many times has she ben in jail? 3-4?  How many strikes untill they ban you forever?

I don't know, but this is some serious persecution, y'all. She even pulled out Matthew 5: 11-12: "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: For so persecuted they the Prophets which were before you."

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 4

3 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I don't know, but this is some serious persecution, y'all. She even pulled out Matthew 5: 11-12: "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: For so persecuted they the Prophets which were before you."

That verse explains a LOT about why fundies seem to actively search out ways to claim "persecution". 

Newsflash, Lori. That's not persecution. That's people realizing what an awful shrew you are and refusing to give you a platform.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

What did she do this time to land in FB jail? 

Is 30 days the longest stretch she's ever been in for? I can't imagine Ken is too happy with her about this. He seems to try to keep Lori from posting the most outrageous rants.  Not that she listens to him

I guess complete submission in all things is another one of her 'do as I say, not as I do' things.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 3/15/2022 at 4:51 PM, crawfishgirl said:

The Bidens seem like warm, decent, normal people.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic