IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 41: Marrying off the Kidults at the Speed of Light

Coconut Flan

20 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

June 16?! What about school? Kids are in school until June 30 where I live which would rule out 15-17 year olds. Also, what 25 year old wants to hang out with teenagers? 
never mind, I can’t read. The deadline is June 16 not the event

Dang…June 30??! In my area the schools have already been out for three weeks!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

Dang…June 30??! In my area the schools have already been out for three weeks!

Our school district had the last day 2 weeks ago. When I was in school here, we usually started the last week of August, and got out the first week of June, but they've adjusted the schedule within the last few years.

• Upvote 2

Also, young adults age 15? Those are teenagers, not young adults. And since it is clearly aimed at finding spouses (only singles can join) 15 and 25 is way too far apart.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10

It's definitely a match making service - the cult I was raised in had something similar. Every summer you sent your teenager to California for 5 weeks and they figured out who would be well suited to one another, who would do well in a different city, etc. 

My guess would be that while they have a 10 year age range, they'll be split out into different groups while there. 

• Upvote 14

My district lets kids out next Friday. We usually end the first week of June, but because of Covid, we delayed our start until after Labor Day which pushed us two weeks back. We’re starting on time next year, which I’m glad for, but that means that my summer is going to be two weeks shorter than it usually is ?

• Upvote 2

They didn’t have the summit last year because of covid but they had it in 2019 and the Duggars, Bateses, Caldwells, Swansons, and Andreggs were there.

• Thank You 3

On 6/11/2021 at 9:13 AM, Idlewild said:

Well if TLC are no longer filming dentist visits then really no point in JB and M making an effort??! 

They have a good track record of marrying off daughters. They won't let bad/crooked teeth ruin that! lol Too bad its not the same for the Maxwell girls. Poor Mary nearly collapsed when the Orthodontist asked HER opinion!

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Also, young adults age 15? Those are teenagers, not young adults. And since it is clearly aimed at finding spouses (only singles can join) 15 and 25 is way too far apart.

Maybe also partly keep all teens / young singles out of trouble type activities and workshops and social groups ? I know the big mega churches in my area were big on that. “Youth” groups ( but mostly broken down probably into 2 or 3 sets with that big an age span ) One of my kids and one of my friends got really into those for a bit —- “Trouble” meaning sex, drugs, gangs. Hanging out with other people their age who were similarly minded. With a side of - of course- finding dates/relationships from that pool. Don’t know if these more hard core places are similar. 

• Upvote 1

It seems like maybe the 17 - 19 year olds could possibly go younger or older depending on their maturity level and the potential mate they might be interested in. Probably best to throw them all in the same group with some implied rules that at least the 21 and ups don’t pursue the 15 - 16 year olds.

• Upvote 3

On 5/20/2021 at 8:41 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Attack_therapy

FYI some of the boarding schools that employed this type of "therapy" are listed as cults in cult awareness organizations.  The damage they have wrought is astounding.

Ah, yes. So many fond memories of being told everything that was wrong and unnatural with me at my boarding school after days of sleep deprivation. What fun times!

• Sad 8
  • Love 4

If I was fundy I would totally sign up for that even as a 25 y/o. I was always sad that there were no more summer camps after you graduated high school. So many ACTIVITIES!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Grace said:

If I was fundy I would totally sign up for that even as a 25 y/o. I was always sad that there were no more summer camps after you graduated high school. So many ACTIVITIES!

I’ve heard of adult summer camps. They sound like one big drunken party ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

15 hours ago, Idlewild said:

The age group is weird - I cannot imagine a 25 year old me wanting to hang out with teenagers. 

I don’t think it’s to bad of an age grouping. Yes 15 is a teenager but physically you are still a juvenile until 25. I don’t think that 25 year olds will be best friends with a 15 year old but have stuff in common enough with them to hang out? Certainly. Most would be used to it as it’s reasonable sibling age gaps anyway. I imagine within the group people would gravitate towards their age group anyway. If I had a 15 year old I would be concerned about them hanging out in that group until I got to know the kids, because it could be dangerous. But if they are a good bunch of kids I wouldn’t mind. 
I take all this opinion based on my niece’s and nephew’s young adult group which I think is 16 to 25. Yes they are baptist yes they are on my fundie radar. Are they are a bunch of great kids that have a nice time and do interesting things, yes. In some circumstances I does work. 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

My niece finished school yesterday, and it was extended because of Covid as they were distance learning for the first semester before switching to a hybrid schedule. She had her second Phizer dose on Thursday, so she was still dealing with the side effects on her last day.

As far as 15 year olds and 25 year olds, it's really only something you see in extended families because there might be a 10 year gap between some of the older and younger cousins. Often for things like summer camps, the 25 year olds might be the camp counselors, not actually participating as campers like the teenagers are.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

When I was 15, I absolutely would have tried to date a 25 year old who I met on discipleship camp, and thought that as long as we weren’t having sex it was A-OK. Of course, by the time I was 25, I could look at 15 year olds and think it creepy and inappropriate in so many ways for anyone my age to even think about dating them. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

In the mainstream population, it’s pretty unusual for 15 year olds to hang out socially with 25 year olds. My niece is 15 and I would be worried if she suddenly started hanging out with 25 year olds. But fundies aren’t mainstream. And this is likely how we get much older men eyeing teen girls to marry the minute they turn 18.

• Upvote 9

Is that the Discipleship Summit that Jed started a few years back? Yes it's always single fundies galore xD all the AR fundies and more! That in itself is probably the draw for attendees.....lol

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:13 AM, Idlewild said:

Well if TLC are no longer filming dentist visits then really no point in JB and M making an effort??! 

Maybe that’s why Joy didn’t go for 4 years?

• WTF 2

On 6/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve heard of adult summer camps. They sound like one big drunken party ?

We've gone to  a "family camp"  long weekend at the traditional boy's camp that our family has long sent boys to. It's great--one family per cabin, all the activities, but less rigid schedules & happy hour for the adults!

• Upvote 7

Family camp would be great. I intent to sign up for Space Camp family camp when my daughter is old enough. And in a few years, we could totally do a regular family camp. There’s no way I can afford to buy a canoe so access would be a huge draw. Ditto for horse riding. I loved camp as a teen! 

• Upvote 5

On 6/13/2021 at 5:29 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

In the mainstream population, it’s pretty unusual for 15 year olds to hang out socially with 25 year olds. My niece is 15 and I would be worried if she suddenly started hanging out with 25 year olds. But fundies aren’t mainstream. And this is likely how we get much older men eyeing teen girls to marry the minute they turn 18.

It’s funny how the 15 - 25 really does sound like an extremely large range, but if you knock off a year at either end and make it 16-24 it’s the “youth” age range for a huge number of government programs (at least US social service type programs)

15 just sounds like such a baby when thrown in there though!. 

When I graduated college a million years ago I had just turned 25 - which made me officially branded a “re-entry” student. I had never “re-entered” it just took me a bit between transferring from community college, having kids, working full-time and having medical issues part way through — but 25 apparently made me an old lady. Lol 

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2021 at 1:29 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

They have a good track record of marrying off daughters. They won't let bad/crooked teeth ruin that! lol Too bad its not the same for the Maxwell girls. Poor Mary nearly collapsed when the Orthodontist asked HER opinion!

Actually Mary didn't. Teri was upset. Mary said  "mom must make the decision." She was 8 years old, younger than of the Duggar girls are now. I can't blame a young child being overwhelmed by decision making, especially when her parents have raised her to be obedient and going against her mother would be stressful. Here's the article for people to read.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Actually Mary didn't. Teri was upset. Mary said  "mom must make the decision." She was 8 years old, younger than of the Duggar girls are now. I can't blame a young child being overwhelmed by decision making, especially when her parents have raised her to be obedient and going against her mother would be stressful. Here's the article for people to read.

I don’t like how they turned it into a rant against usurping parental authority, and they may have twisted it - but I’d be pissed too if an orthodontist was putting the final decision on something that invasive and costly and complicated and long term on an 8 year old! 

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Discipleship Summit for Single Young Fundies
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic