IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 41: Marrying off the Kidults at the Speed of Light

Coconut Flan

I own several different colors of the same dress that Jenni is wearing and honestly, it's fine enough in the heat. I also usually still wear it with capris because it's a very swingy and airy dress. 

From my modest perspective, they all seem to be dressed practically and comfortably for a day at SDC.

Yes, Jenni needs a better bra, but almost all girls that have a larger-than-average bust struggle until they're 16 or even older. At that age your boobs are growing like weeds and if you've read the measurement charts you measure and yet your size doesn't come up because it's not common (I was a 32G at 15), and it's the last conversation you want to have with your mom. Then when you do finally have the convo with your mom and you go and have a fitting at JC Penney, they tell you they have nothing for you and send you to Nordstrom. At Nordstrom, they have bras in your size but your mom doesn't understand why all of your bras need to cost $60+ (they're engineering marvels, that's why), and... It's a mess.

It's admittedly much better now with the internet, but... I still hate paying $40+ ON SALE for bras.

I will say that layering tank bras from Walmart is one of my favorite life hacks, but I didn't figure it out until I was almost 30. I'm now a 32K and currently wearing two of their size 42 tank bras (you get a pack of 3 for $12) and the girls are both supported and comfy. For non lounge-at-home life, I usually wear a nice supportive underwire and then a Walmart tank bra on top so my boobs look more uniform and have a little extra support that doesn't involve an underwire digging into my ribs.

TL;DR: They look modest and comfortable + being a teen with big boobs is logistically hard.

• Upvote 19
  • Love 9

On 6/29/2021 at 2:07 AM, MaryOrMartha said:

*sigh* when will they (Duggar girls in general!) learn that buying supportive bras will draw less attention towards their chests, and also provided much needed support?

when their Mother or their older sisters take them to a shop for a proper fitting. Mind in their world a good balcony that draws they eye to their countenance is probably considered a good marriage asset. 

• Upvote 2

I feel you @CaptainFunderpants - I wear a 36I (three-six-eye). I developed fast. My first bra was a C cup in 6th grade. I hated how much people paid attention to my chest, and wore compression sports bras for most of middle school. For the past 15 months working from home, I’ve almost exclusively worn light support/wire free sports bars. They look terrible, but they are super comfortable. If the Duggar girls are physically comfortable in the bras they wear, that’s really all that matters.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

I stopped bothering with department store bras a long time ago and now just go to specialty stores like Cacique (Lane Bryant's line). Cacique will occasionally have buy 2 get 2 free sales. I've also found a few local shops that have a good selection. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Mrs. Kravitz said:

I stopped bothering with department store bras a long time ago and now just go to specialty stores like Cacique (Lane Bryant's line). Cacique will occasionally have buy 2 get 2 free sales. I've also found a few local shops that have a good selection. 

Thanks, but not my demographic; Lane Bryant's smallest band size is a 38.

Barenecessities.com is my go-to. They have a huge variety, including small band sizes with giant cup sizes.

• Upvote 5

As a 34J, I feel y’all’s pain. I really hate when people comment on me getting a “better” bra because isually I’m wearing heavy duty $80 bras in my correct size. My boobs just don’t sit high and there’s  nothing - sans surgery - that I can do about that 

All the comments about my body as a teen were really damaging for my already poor self image. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 32

its so interesting that none of the older girls, except Joy, have been larger on top (that sounds so stupid, I couldnt think of anything less gross). Maybe they were always under pressure to keep their weight down? Does that in itself suppress breast growth in teen years?

2 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

Does that in itself suppress breast growth in teen years?

Not in my experience...or my mother's and she is petite. 

While we are on the topic...favorite sports bras for DD and higher and...go.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

While we are on the topic...favorite sports bras for DD and higher and...go

Hands down, Panache. They've never let me down and the girls have never fallen out or given me a black eye whilst horse riding. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Not in my experience...or my mother's and she is petite. 

While we are on the topic...favorite sports bras for DD and higher and...go.

I second the Panache recommend. My absolute faves, both the underwire and non-underwire versions.

8 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

its so interesting that none of the older girls, except Joy, have been larger on top (that sounds so stupid, I couldnt think of anything less gross). Maybe they were always under pressure to keep their weight down? Does that in itself suppress breast growth in teen years?

Nope. I was 4'10/80lbs and had D cups as a 9-year-old. I ended up as a 32G at 15 while being 5'2/128lbs of solid muscle, including four pack abs.

A couple of years ago my boobs finally filled out and became round and full (they had remained at stage 4 of growth, kind of pointy, for over a decade) and I ended up at a 5'4/130 and a 32K.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

I think it played a part for me. My mum and sister both are big chested gals (my sister an EE cup even before kids, and my mum is a DD), where as I'm a smaller C cup. I was very sporty and body image issues when I was in my young teens, and restricted my diet heavily as a consequence.

10 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

When my eating disorder was in force my breast size definitely dropped a few cups, but when I eat normally they’re big. If the older girls were restricting it wouldn’t surprise me for that to impact their breast size, but I don’t know that it would be permanent enough to prevent them from having larger breasts as adults, especially when they started breastfeeding.

• Love 2

11 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

Duggar's diet was crappy, but no way they were underfed. Any of the girls was extremelly thin. Anyway, following a diet won't suppress breat growth unless it's a  extreme diet for a long time. 

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Smee said:

When my eating disorder was in force my breast size definitely dropped a few cups, but when I eat normally they’re big. If the older girls were restricting it wouldn’t surprise me for that to impact their breast size, but I don’t know that it would be permanent enough to prevent them from having larger breasts as adults, especially when they started breastfeeding.

And here for me it's all back fat. At my worst, I was 88lbs and a 30H, while on a steroid protocol I ended up at 150 and a 34F. But for the vast majority of my existence I've just been a straight-up 32G while weighing anywhere between 108lbs-130lbs.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Am I the only person who is kind of creeped out by the discussion of Jenny's bust?

Or anyone’s-

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

51 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Am I the only person who is kind of creeped out by the discussion of Jenny's bust?

Honestly, when you have big boobs they become basically just another body part akin to a foot or an elbow, and so discussing them feels the same as a bunch of men commiserating over the struggle to find big shoe sizes (think 16+).

My boobs aren't sexy, they're behemoths that I'm forced to maintain because they can't do a reduction without taking my milk ducts, which I'm not willing to give up just yet.

Having these discussions is arguably incredibly important because many of us felt very, very alone and unsure how to deal with our mondo boobs in our youth, and many women still feel that way now because they're just not common and talking about boobs is such a taboo.

The women active in this discussion didn't opt into having big boobs; they just appeared. And so being able to have the discussion and talk about bras that work well and where to find them, again is just people networking and discussing uncommon shoe sizes more or less.

None of us are objectifying her or saying anything remotely inappropriate; just commiserating the struggle and affirming that the struggle is real.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 10

38 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

None of us are objectifying her or saying anything remotely inappropriate; just commiserating the struggle and affirming that the struggle is real.

Agreed.  All of my sisters are either A or B cup sizes, while I'm a DD cup.  I developed early and had to endure wolf whistles from grown men as a teen, plus stupid jealousy from a few other female students - which is ridiculous as a) I had no say in how large or small my breasts became when I hit puberty, and b) I wished they would have remained a comfortable B cup size.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 8

Anyone willing to share their breast reduction experience? Especially for those with HH cups and above?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

37 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Agreed.  All of my sisters are either A or B cup sizes, while I'm a DD cup.  I developed early and had to endure wolf whistles from grown men as a teen, plus stupid jealousy from a few other female students - which is ridiculous as a) I had no say in how large or small my breasts became when I hit puberty, and b) I wished they would have remained a comfortable B cup size.  

Me and my little sister. She has the boobies, i don't. I was called a 'board with warts, and only fuckable because of my fine ass' and she was called a 'mother cow with good breeding hips, a Marilyn Monroe, someone with good marriage assets. 

Damned if you have them, damned if you don't have them. And the jealousy from other females? If boobs are valued more then intellect, then having boobs means an advantage in attracting a male who is needed for shelter and a meal ticket. And in the case of the Duggar girls that is it, innit? The men are their ticket to housing and food and 'security'. So the Duggar girls have the assets, even if their mother has not got enough brain to train these puppies with a bra that is fitting. So poor Jenny will try to be smaller (lest she be taller then her potential male) while maybe also having issues about the size of her balcony. These girls are not valued for their intellect, they are valued for their 'girlynessness' and their level of submissiveness. Sadly so. 

Women, damned if they do, damned if they don't. 

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

Anyone willing to share their breast reduction experience? Especially for those with HH cups and above?

Not quite what you’re looking for, but I don’t miss my D cup breasts following my double mastectomy. I do miss the womanly shape they provided, but I was just so relieved to have them finally removed in March  once I finished chemo. No need to bother with bras now!

(Now finished treatment, good outcome :) )

• Love 49

4 minutes ago, Karma said:

Not quite what you’re looking for, but I don’t miss my D cup breasts following my double mastectomy. I do miss the womanly shape they provided, but I was just so relieved to have them finally removed in March  once I finished chemo. No need to bother with bras now!

(Now finished treatment, good outcome :) )

Congrats on the tentative victory! And the bonus relief of back pain.

Honestly, I'd get a non-surgical pair of silicon fakies and an appropriate bra just to wear with various outfits when you want. As much as mine are a huge PITA most of the time, I feel like I would have an identity crisis off and on for a while if they had to be removed. It would be a huge mix of relief and anguish.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

Yes I was all set to get fake ones - Medicare even subsidises $400 of the $450 cost for each prosthetic. But over the three months post surgery and with terrible burning of my chest wall from radiotherapy when it would have been very uncomfortable to wear a bra, I kind of got used to my new shape.  Plus I felt so betrayed by my breast that I don’t seek to have the bother of carting around prosthetics on a daily basis.  I’ve got unworn soft forms donated by berlei, and eventually I’ll probably get proper ones for special occasions, but for now I’m just relieved they’re gone. (I opted to have the unaffected breast removed as well since my type of cancer was the one most likely to come back and since the tumour was 4 cm before I felt even a slight change in my breast.  I don’t want to go thru breast cancer again.)

I do miss being able to tuck a tissue into my bra strap on days when I’ve got no pockets though ?)

• Upvote 9
  • Love 26

i don't have a brest reduction story, but a funny brest augmentation one. 

I lived in the south of france at the time and went bikini shopping with a friend of mine. The sales person wanting to be helpful got me all these super padded tops - cause she said, why not fake it? but, i suddenly had these things that were poking the sides of my arms, and i had these things in my view, and no idea what to do with my arms, much to the amusement of all other well chested ladies in the store and we came to the conclusion that augmentation would not work for me. 

Props to the lady in the shop in NY who at age 32 gave me my first proper fitting. I needed a bra, went to this lady shop and asked for a tank top with a bit of support - as that was my solution, mostly my pups are hanging freely, and she said, oh you are a 32 A and i have some cutie pies bras here and would you like to try them. Honey, would i ever and i even bought them. These three bras, white/nude/black were the only bras that i ever had that fitted and that i wore daily. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Discipleship Summit for Single Young Fundies
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic