IGNORED

Joy & Austin 32: Living the Fundie Dream with Rifles, RVs & Babies

nelliebelle1197

*Cough, cough* Ahem, New Haven pizza for the win. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I’m from New Jersey so I feel privileged to not understand chain pizza ?

I knew about the big ones, but you’ve mentioned chain pizza places I’ve never heard of! 

When we moved from MA to KS the first couple days we were there we ordered Little Caesars. My Long Island bred father was horrified. Soon after that he found a place called Original Pizza. And that was the only acceptable pie in our household for the duration of our Midwestern years.

6 hours ago, Flossie said:

I think I'm easy to please when it comes to pizza.  

I want a crust I like, not too thin and crusty, but not too bready.  

I want a sauce I like, basic tomato for most stuff, a garlic sauce for chicken, or barbeque (not too spicy or sweet, not too vinegar-y) with chicken or pulled pork.  Taco pizza should be served on a semi-thin crust that is able to handle refried beans as a topping (slightly beat with a little water to aid in spreading it out).  One time I tasted a slice of a sweet and sour sauce pizza someone made for the kids at a multi family event.  It was loaded with chopped veggies and covered with mozzeralla and some kind of other cheese.  I liked it.  

I like the meat and veggies to be cut small and evenly spread out, not too much or too little.  I don't like pepperoni, but will accept some seasoned sausage and the like.  I like Hawaiian pizza, known to many as Canadian bacon and pinapple.  But if making it at home, I'd get a slab of Canadian bacon from the deli and grate it over the pizza, and the pineapple would be diced into small portion sos I could distribute them evenly over the pizza.

So, yeah, I'm easy to please when it comes to pizza.  

See... there are those who would argue that BBQ chicken pizza and taco pizza are abominations right out of the gate. ? (Not me, I'm just teasing and reflecting on my very structured pizza upbringing)

... There is an interesting restaurant nearby called Curry and Crust. They make Indian oriented pizzas. I finally got one. They make it with that really rich and creamy indian cheese, an Indian spiced tomato sauce and then toppings. It was soooo rich. I had a piece a night. But unusual and really good.

Still, I can't untrain my love of an NY pie. It's the crust. And crust bubbles!

Also, certain cheeses aren't acceptable in pizza blends. Too many frozen pies include cheddar. Not cool.

The West Coast or PNW pizza tends to be a smaller brick oven or wood fired stove type. I can handle this usually. But by the time my birthday rolls up I'll be like, ok, I need my 2 fancy desserts and if we can't find a cool new restaurant we'll have to default to "real pizza"

Dad's fault.

• Upvote 11

Pagliacci all the way for me! Especially their potato pizza, when it's the special... So good!

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, JMO said:

Joy posted an IG story of picking up their "favorite" pizza, Dominos, and then discussed it vs Papa John's as which is best.  Austin voted Dominos since for $7.99 they get a large pizza that can feed the whole family.  This hurts my NY heart (stomach really).   NOOOO!  NOOO! Now I need to watch that old Jon Stewart clip.  

Same! I'm in upstate NY and we have so many amazing pizza joints here, nobody eats "fast food" pizza. We literally have one Dominos location, one Pizza Hut, one Little Caesars and I don't even know if we still have Papa John's. We do have a couple regional chains that are popular but again they serve good pizza. 

On 5/20/2021 at 5:27 PM, fluffernutter said:

I don’t know if I’ve gotten pickier in my adulthood but as a kid I loved the pizza chains. Pizza Hut was my favorite and was a popular hang-out after school dances. Now Pizza Hut kills my gut. Like pure acid. I loved Little Caesars too and if I remember right Dominos was one of my birthday requests as a teen. Now, I am alllll about a thin, foldable, greasy-dripping NY style pizza. Yummmm. 

I'm the same way. I used to LOVE Pizza Hut and always wanted to go to the restaurant for the buffet. Now if I eat Pizza Hut I have almost immediate bathroom issues. 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Still, I can't untrain my love of an NY pie. It's the crust. And crust bubbles!

Also, certain cheeses aren't acceptable in pizza blends. Too many frozen pies include cheddar. Not cool.

If you ever run for office I will vote for you based on those two statements above.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

When we moved from MA to KS the first couple days we were there we ordered Little Caesars. My Long Island bred father was horrified.

I was forced to eat Little Caesars sometimes in college.  BLECH!  Greasy styrofoam with ketchup and swiss on top.  ?

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

Check the menu for Fong's Pizza in the Des Moines area. I've never been there, but get ads from them for their specials of the day. Some sound horrible but it's a very popular place. Not exactly traditional. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Check the menu for Fong's Pizza in the Des Moines area. I've never been there, but get ads from them for their specials of the day. Some sound horrible but it's a very popular place. Not exactly traditional. 

And now I am thinking, Mu Shu Pizza. Yum.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

When we moved from MA to KS the first couple days we were there we ordered Little Caesars. My Long Island bred father was horrified. Soon after that he found a place called Original Pizza. And that was the only acceptable pie in our household for the duration of our Midwestern years.

We moved from MA to TX in the late 70s and the only pizza restaurant was Pizza Hut.  We'd only ever had pizza from our local shop (or maybe Papa Ginos).  I ate at my friend's house once and she was thrilled to be able to serve me frozen pizza, which I had never heard of.  At the time, I was horrified by the look and taste of it and ate it only to be polite. I can still remember the cardboard crust.  Frozen pizza and the pizza scene in TX has improved since then.

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Wow! 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

We moved from MA to TX in the late 70s and the only pizza restaurant was Pizza Hut.  We'd only ever had pizza from our local shop (or maybe Papa Ginos).  I ate at my friend's house once and she was thrilled to be able to serve me frozen pizza, which I had never heard of.  At the time, I was horrified by the look and taste of it and ate it only to be polite. I can still remember the cardboard crust.  Frozen pizza and the pizza scene in TX has improved since then.

Papa Gino’s was my first summer job! 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 5/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, WiseGirl said:

Cough, cough* Ahem, New Haven pizza for the win. 

I was waiting for this! Give me a good Pepe's any day.

When I lived in Iowa, I worked at a chain called Happy Joe's (how can I make you happy?). I loved their pizza, particularly the taco pizza they claim to have invented. We did get some prank calls there, but not as many as you'd think with that phone greeting.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

In France, they often serve pizza with Emmentaler cheese. It's horrible. 

Our favourite pizza place in Corsica has an Italian pizzaiolo. We have spent some time bonding with him about the abomination that is pizza with Emmentaler. He is very happy he is allowed to use mozzarella where he currently works, and told us a story of how his former boss had ordered him to use a mix of a little mozzarella and a lot of Emmentaler. "Whenever that bastard wasn't in the restaurant, I'd use only mozzarella!", he told us beaming with pride.

That's the rebel we all need in our lives!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

In France, they often serve pizza with Emmentaler cheese. It's horrible. 

Our favourite pizza place in Corsica has an Italian pizzaiolo. We have spent some time bonding with him about the abomination that is pizza with Emmentaler. He is very happy he is allowed to use mozzarella where he currently works, and told us a story of how his former boss had ordered him to use a mix of a little mozzarella and a lot of Emmentaler. "Whenever that bastard wasn't in the restaurant, I'd use only mozzarella!", he told us beaming with pride.

That's the rebel we all need in our lives!

But Emmental is good.... ??

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

But Emmental is good.... ??

Not as the only cheese on pizza.... ?

• Upvote 3

This is random but has the Turpin family case been discussed here on FJ? They lived in Fort Worth TX at one point and I am curious to know if they were associated with the Duggars or any of the other families mentioned on here.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Seeingwithopeneyes said:

This is random but has the Turpin family case been discussed here on FJ? They lived in Fort Worth TX at one point and I am curious to know if they were associated with the Duggars or any of the other families mentioned on here.

They were.  I can't answer your question but I'll find the thread and link it here.

This is the first of four threads.  Links to the next are found on the last page of each thread.  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
ETA link
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 5/26/2021 at 9:40 AM, viii said:

Now I kind of want pizza for supper... 

I went out and got some yesterday because of this thread. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

On 5/24/2021 at 10:18 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I was waiting for this! Give me a good Pepe's any day.

When I lived in Iowa, I worked at a chain called Happy Joe's (how can I make you happy?). I loved their pizza, particularly the taco pizza they claim to have invented. We did get some prank calls there, but not as many as you'd think with that phone greeting.

Yummmm!! Happy Joe's Taco pizza is the best Taco pizza I have had anywhere.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I need to stop checking this thread. My husband will mutiny if we have pizza for dinner again. 

• Haha 19

33 minutes ago, Mrs. Kravitz said:

I need to stop checking this thread. My husband will mutiny if we have pizza for dinner again. 

them be grounds for divorce, refusing of pizza is a marital sin lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19

On 5/24/2021 at 7:43 AM, AliceInFundyland said:

... There is an interesting restaurant nearby called Curry and Crust. They make Indian oriented pizzas. I finally got one. They make it with that really rich and creamy indian cheese, an Indian spiced tomato sauce and then toppings. It was soooo rich. I had a piece a night. But unusual and really good.

Well this sounds absolutely amazing! Please order from them again and report back! 

I will admit, I don't really like pizza. Yes I worked for a chain and yes I have eaten it in Italy, NY, Chicago etc.

A great curry on the other hand... 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

them be grounds for divorce, refusing of pizza is a marital sin lol 

Any body can make him a sandwich, but only YOU can order Pizza for him

• Haha 32

On 5/24/2021 at 2:52 AM, indianabones said:

Pagliacci all the way for me! Especially their potato pizza, when it's the special... So good!

I love Pagliacci’s. 

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic