IGNORED

Joy & Austin 32: Living the Fundie Dream with Rifles, RVs & Babies

nelliebelle1197

47 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I cannot relate to that at all. At 8 months everyone is finally getting some sleep, baby is starting to interact and show some personality. My baby is 11 months old and the idea of going back to the start is something I would have to psych myself up for.

When it's the last baby I totally get it. But not if you know you're going to have a zillion more

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

And also, someone else in that family will be constantly providing a fresh new baby. So, then you can hold them and hug them and hand them back!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I got misty when I had to pack away the first size of baby clothes, but young babies are SO understandably needy that I look forward to her growing and learning. They bigger she gets, the more I can do with her.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

On 4/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, baldricks_turnip said:

I cannot relate to that at all. At 8 months everyone is finally getting some sleep, baby is starting to interact and show some personality. My baby is 11 months old and the idea of going back to the start is something I would have to psych myself up for.

I can, actually. Younger is supposed to be the last but I've been wanting another since he was six months or so. I suspect part of it is that he's, well, supposed be the last, so it's harder to hit the milestones knowing I'll never see them again, but there's also that I had an easier time with him than his brother. I can see if Joy's more relaxed and healing over Annabell to want to enjoy it again already.

• Upvote 6

On 4/5/2021 at 2:46 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Joy has a new post about how she's sad that Evelyn is growing so fast and getting old. Baby was born in August. 

I understand that. I have a hard time with each size outgrown and every month or milestone is both a source of joy and grief. At 16 months, I love that she can toddle but I miss the tiny 5 lbs 7 ounce mite. It’s hard knowing that she’s growing up and will never be a newborn again. Now, if only she would sleep in her crib again (she started crib refusing in November). 

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 9

5 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I understand that. I have a hard time with each size outgrown and every month or milestone is both a source of joy and grief. At 16 months, I love that she can toddle but I miss the tiny 5 lbs 7 ounce mite. It’s hard knowing that she’s growing up and will never be a newborn again. Now, if only she would sleep in her crib again (she started crib refusing in November). 

Mine did this. We ended up getting a floor bed and have never looked back. Well, I say that - we had to change the door handle so she couldn't go roaming the house but she got used to it very quickly and now goes to bed happily, whereas trying to put her in a cot was awful every. single. night. If she's upset in the night there's room for one of us to go in and lie next to her rather than bring her into our bed. At first she just slept on the sheet in her sleeping bag, as she had in the cot - now she's 2 she has her own pillow and bedding. It's very cute. And no kamikaze missions over the edge of the cot.

Just make sure there's no way she can get stuck between the bed and the wall - either have space on either side of the bed or if that's not possible, invest in bed rails.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

Seemed like half of my friends (including me) got a puppy when our youngest kid was around 5...  we wanted something small and cute and snuggly without the work of raising another human child.  

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Seemed like half of my friends (including me) got a puppy when our youngest kid was around 5...  we wanted something small and cute and snuggly without the work of raising another human child.  

I know of several families who did the same thing. Probably for the same reason. 

• Upvote 3

My third child is about to be one and that's my favorite baby age. They're not totally helpless (she can move around and entertain herself but not big enough to be into much, and they just hug, kiss, and giggle and don't talk back or yell things like "WHERE'S MY FOOD??" at you like my four year old did to me this morning, lol. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I'm living for the age where I can talk into my daughter's foot like it's a phone and she'll find it as hilarious as I do. So far it's not 3 months.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 39
  • Love 6

• 2 weeks later...

Unpopular opinion here. Babies are ok, but I like them MUCH better in a walking, talking, potty trained version.

I enjoyed finding them rolled over for the first time, etc.. and watching them learn to crawl was nice.. but they interact so much more when they're older.

Lest you think I neglected my infants, I didn't . If they weren't sleeping, I was carrying them on my front, then back, They were on the couch in the room with me, or in their (wind up) swing, or I was singing to them and reading to them... I just find them much more engaging when they're older.

Oh, and I spoke conversationally to them, not the sing songy, baby talk kind of nonsense that Jilly Poo speaks.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Oh, and I spoke conversationally to them, not the sing songy, baby talk kind of nonsense that Jilly Poo speaks.

THIS! Not sure if it is because I moved to a foreign country as a 10yo just before my mother had more kids, but I HATE talking gobbledygook to babies. I was realising how hard it was to learn the language if the person talking to me was speaking unclearly, very fast or the thick regional dialect. My siblings were being raised bilingual, WHY would we add nonsense to the mix!?
All my kids got age appropriate language in my normal voice. They are also only allowed to talk silly voices and made up words in games, not while talking day to day to their younger siblings.

The exception being family “insider” words like someone calling a dufflebag a duckiebag or so that stuck... ?‍♀️ 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

On 4/24/2021 at 7:09 PM, Four is Enough said:

My husband always said "How are we expecting them to learn to speak if we just talk baby talk at them??" 
There was some of the sing songy-ness of baby talk in our house "Oh - I'm going to change your bum! Your bum! Change your bum!" but all of it was actual words. 
I also used to ask my son for his opinion in the grocery store. Asking a 6 month old which kind of soup you might like today, or saying "Now we're going to pick out yogurt! YAYYYYY yogurt! Key lime, do you think? Or vanilla?" (people always looked weirdly at me but man babies are boring if you don't converse with them.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10

I hated baby talk as well! I had full on conversations with my kiddos as little babies...they were mostly one-sided, tho.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:28 AM, Mrs Ms said:

THIS! Not sure if it is because I moved to a foreign country as a 10yo just before my mother had more kids, but I HATE talking gobbledygook to babies. I was realising how hard it was to learn the language if the person talking to me was speaking unclearly, very fast or the thick regional dialect. My siblings were being raised bilingual, WHY would we add nonsense to the mix!?
All my kids got age appropriate language in my normal voice. They are also only allowed to talk silly voices and made up words in games, not while talking day to day to their younger siblings.

The exception being family “insider” words like someone calling a dufflebag a duckiebag or so that stuck... ?‍♀️ 

Baby talk (parentese) actually helps with language acquisition.

Talking like that to children who aren't babies or toddlers is just annoying though.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Paperplate said:

Baby talk (parentese) actually helps with language acquisition.

Talking like that to children who aren't babies or toddlers is just annoying though.

yep, parentese is fascinating. Repeating phrases, saying the same things in different tones of voice, playful use of language, singing phrases and sounds over and over, 'sportscasting' what you and baby are doing or can see etc etc etc are all elements of 'parentese' and do really help language acquisition. And I think babbling away did save me from going stark raving mad in those early months, although maybe it was a symptom of the madness ?‍♀️

On the other hand, I think there is a kind of 'baby talk' that is infantilising and kind of stifles development. I see it in J-Rod particularly. She talks to her 3-year-old in a baby voice using sentence structures, grammar and subject matter way below what the child should be cognitively capable of. And that's coupled with babying her youngest child in other respects too, particularly physically (carrying her; feeding her in the high chair etc. I don't think this is in response to any effects of Janessa's in utero stroke, Jill's always treated her youngest blessing like a babe-in-arms until she gets another one)... anyhoo, that kind of baby talk, eg 'are you hungwy, Danessa? Is dat gooood?' MADDENS me. I hated it when I was a little kid and I hate it now. I wouldn't talk to my newborn or to an animal that way, frankly.

So I guess I think it is also important to expose a baby/toddler to a wide range of vocabulary, to model and encourage the correct pronunciation of things, plus grammar, tone of voice etc. They need to engage playfully with language whilst also hearing it used in a typical manner. And any non-neglected child will probably receive that exposure without the caregivers really trying that hard.

My daughter is 2 years 2 months and having a phase of being very conscious of her own use of language. Often when she's decompressing alone in bed at the end of the day she'll go over a tricky pronunciation until she's got it. She'll just sit in bed repeating, 'not tubbard: cupboard!' or whatever. That's not something we actively do with her. She just seems to feel it's important.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 9

I have a 19 month old who is just starting to talk so this topic is really interesting to me. We don’t do much baby speak but I do talk to him constantly. His new favourite word is ‘garden’ however as he’s only ever heard us say ‘the garden’ (as in, ‘shall we go out into the garden?’ Or ‘did you have fun in the garden?’) he thinks it’s all one word so says it like ‘dagarden’. This is definitely my favourite stage yet. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 9

43 minutes ago, Alysabeth said:

I have a 19 month old who is just starting to talk so this topic is really interesting to me. We don’t do much baby speak but I do talk to him constantly. His new favourite word is ‘garden’ however as he’s only ever heard us say ‘the garden’ (as in, ‘shall we go out into the garden?’ Or ‘did you have fun in the garden?’) he thinks it’s all one word so says it like ‘dagarden’. This is definitely my favourite stage yet. 

I love watching their little brains soak this stuff up! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

My favorite is when you say something in front of a toddler and you think they aren’t listening. Then you hear them muttering it to themselves later.?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

My favorite is when you say something in front of a toddler and you think they aren’t listening. Then you hear them muttering it to themselves later.?

I always loved listening to them in their crib when they had just woken up as they would just practice all the words they knew when they think they didn't have an audience.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 11

49 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

That's when my niece finally got some of her profanity toned down. Turns out the day care didn't appreciate some of her daughter's phrases. Repeated perfectly. Right intonation, in appropriate situations. But wrong for day care.  

• Haha 24

12 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Is she being stealthily sponsored by Dr. Pepper? Her last post really pushes it. 

She may need to contact Teri Maxwell about soda idols.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

That's when my niece finally got some of her profanity toned down. Turns out the day care didn't appreciate some of her daughter's phrases. Repeated perfectly. Right intonation, in appropriate situations. But wrong for day care.  

When I was in university, one of my friends was from a strict Mennonite family. Her cousin , on a camping trip, had the key break in the car door thus locking everything inside. It was the only time said cousin ever swore. The three old daughter picked up the new word and used it with gusto. Naturally, all of us early 20 somethings found this hilarious. It’s a lot less funny now as I realize that I could easily end up in a similar situation. I rarely swear but as my daughter is learning to talk, I am hyper vigilant about language. 

• Upvote 4

Joy did a post on Sunday too. Here it is:

What things are there in your life are more important to you than Jesus? This is the question our pastor asked us today and it hit me hard.

Fame? Social Status? Money? Work? Food? Fun? Your Phone?

Revival in the church and in the world starts with ME, in my heart.
I often come to the Lord when I feel that I need His ‘help’, but we need the Lord every second of everyday. We need to be grateful for this life He has given us and praise Him for who He is. In the good times and the bad.

“Lord, Search me, know me, try me and see every worthless affection hidden in me. All I'm asking for is that You'd cleanse me, Lord. Create in me a heart that's clean. Conquer the power of secret shame. Come wash away the guilty stain of all my sin.”?

• Eyeroll 4
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic