IGNORED

Joy & Austin 32: Living the Fundie Dream with Rifles, RVs & Babies

nelliebelle1197

1 hour ago, nvmbr02 said:

I had a feeling it would never go completely away. And we do worry about my dad and MIL (or really any friend of family member) when they visit. 

I was joking with my daughter during her dorm selection that she needed to pick a good location because I would be brining my sleeping bag and camping outside her door. ? Luckily she knows I am only joking. I know it will be a difficult drive home for me, but I also know she is perfectly capable and can take care of herself. ❤️

Oh man, the dropping off at college was brutal. Especially the first-born. Her and I had been like oil and water all through her teen years. My husband had gotten laid off and started a new job her senior year, and he absolutely had to go on a work trip the weekend we were to move her in. No way around it. So it was four hours away, and just her and me. I got her all set up, and we did everything we needed to do. As I was getting ready to leave we both just broke down and hugged and cried. It was like all that tension between us for so long just melted. I absolutely sobbed the entire drive home, and it was brutally raining. My two bff's were waiting for me with wine and lots of hugs, and our younger teens had cleaned the house. At the time, I was so upset that my husband was going to miss moving our first-born into her dorm, but I honestly think it was exactly what we needed. ❤️ The 2nd daughter wasn't as traumatic but still so hard, and our youngest got dropped off at the airport for a gap year. That was tough because we didn't see her very much that first year. Bittersweet is the truest emotion to describe all of those times. 

• Love 26

I just saw a "promotional" tweet from one of those websites with endless lists of nonsense for people to struggle through in order to get to the semi-intriguing headline bit, and they're never worth reading, but the Twitter comments often are? And anyway, they used a picture of pregnant Joy in it, which caused a bit of a stir since it's about families in Sweden...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I just saw a "promotional" tweet from one of those websites with endless lists of nonsense for people to struggle through in order to get to the semi-intriguing headline bit, and they're never worth reading, but the Twitter comments often are? And anyway, they used a picture of pregnant Joy in it, which caused a bit of a stir since it's about families in Sweden...

That was very odd. For those who don’t want to click, it is a list of things about Sweden that people may not know/are different. The picture in question is at the top of the thread and it is a selfie from Joy’s Instagram that is taken in front of a full length mirror of very pregnant Joy (and cutie pie Gideon at her knee) last summer. The caption they put over her picture was “Today’s the day I submit my future baby’s name to the Swedish Tax Authority… praying it is accepted”. Which given she could have named her baby basically anything and no one in the US government is “accepting” or rejecting anyone’s names (with the exception of certain special characters in some areas like Elon Musk’s baby) is, like I said, odd.

If you do click though *do NOT* read all of the Twitter comments unless you like racist rhetoric about Sweden being ruined by brown people who are “not like us”. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, JustEnough said:

That was very odd. For those who don’t want to click, it is a list of things about Sweden that people may not know/are different. The picture in question is at the top of the thread and it is a selfie from Joy’s Instagram that is taken in front of a full length mirror of very pregnant Joy (and cutie pie Gideon at her knee) last summer. The caption they put over her picture was “Today’s the day I submit my future baby’s name to the Swedish Tax Authority… praying it is accepted”. Which given she could have named her baby basically anything and no one in the US government is “accepting” or rejecting anyone’s names (with the exception of certain special characters in some areas like Elon Musk’s baby) is, like I said, odd.

If you do click though *do NOT* read all of the Twitter comments unless you like racist rhetoric about Sweden being ruined by brown people who are “not like us”. 

That’s been floating around pretty much since she took the picture. It’s weird because they are just using her as a stock photo, but I guess it’s really common for the ones that are supposedly celebrity endorsements of some product to be completely fake - they’ll just grab the photo and the name 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, JustEnough said:

I think people can read what others say on various topics without being required to like it. 

24 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I think people can read what others say on various topics without being required to like it. 

I appreciate the warning, so that I can keep my blood pressure from shooting up. Everyone's tolerance is different, of course. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I appreciate the warning, so that I can keep my blood pressure from shooting up. Everyone's tolerance is different, of course. 

A warning is good. Implying reading means liking strikes me otherwise.

29 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I think you can suggest "you won't enjoy reading this" without suggesting "if you read this it means you like it"

• I Agree 2

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

This is absolutely what I was aiming for. My bp could have used the warning. ?

2 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

2 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I agree with your first statement. I was not at all trying to imply if one reads them they must like them. I was conveying that it could be upsetting/off putting if one doesn’t agree with the views being espoused. I myself have certainly read things even after a warning (on here even) but I went in knowing I’d not like what I was reading. I’d only have liked them if I agreed. I hope that makes sense. I really wasn’t trying to be confrontational at all. ?

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

I think you can suggest "you won't enjoy reading this" without suggesting "if you read this it means you like it"

That was certainly my intent ?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

I haven't clicked further on the link, but I can confirm that the IRS in Sweden can approve or deny names of kids. However, it's very rare that they say no. So it's not a big thing. Here's a list of names they turned down: 

https://www.mabra.com/feelgood/namn-avslag-skatteverket/7246011

For those who don't want to click on links, here are some examples: 

Superfastjellyfish

Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssql-bb111163

IKEA

Alkis (means "Alcoholic" in everyday swedish)

Tottenham

HelloKillerz

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

I cannot believe there are parents out there who genuinely wanted to name their kids those names... ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, viii said:

I cannot believe there are parents out there who genuinely wanted to name their kids those names... ?

Kind of makes Spurgeon seem downright pleasant  ?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, xenobia said:

I haven't clicked further on the link, but I can confirm that the IRS in Sweden can approve or deny names of kids. However, it's very rare that they say no. So it's not a big thing. Here's a list of names they turned down: 

https://www.mabra.com/feelgood/namn-avslag-skatteverket/7246011

Superfastjellyfish

IKEA

Tottenham

HelloKillerz

Oh wow, someone tried to name their kid 'Nazi' 

I laughed at Knorren because it is the sound a pig makes in Dutch ? It is also a slur used by frat-boys to indicate everyone who has never been in a fraternity/sorority.

I think most of these names would be denied here as well although I think that for instance Judas, Lucifer or Diablo would be approved since they are actual names. And Jord is actually a common name here, but I don't know if it means something weird in Swedish.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Oh wow, someone tried to name their kid 'Nazi' 

I laughed at Knorren because it is the sound a pig makes in Dutch ? It is also a slur used by frat-boys to indicate everyone who has never been in a fraternity/sorority.

I think most of these names would be denied here as well although I think that for instance Judas, Lucifer or Diablo would be approved since they are actual names. And Jord is actually a common name here, but I don't know if it means something weird in Swedish.

It means soil or Earth. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I think that "Jord" would have a good chance of being approved as a name by the IRS. 

And "knorren" here is what we call the pigs tail, so it's definitely pig-related :)

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, xenobia said:

Superfastjellyfish

IKEA

Tottenham

HelloKillerz

Cherokee Indian chiming in here--we have some pretty fantastic family names translated into English--mainly they are traditional military ranks from tribal warfare days:

Our late beloved Principal Chief, Wilma Mankiller is an example, and we also have folks with the family name of Tenkiller (also a geographic name, such as in https://www.travelok.com/state-parks/tenkiller-state-park), Fourkiller and Sixkiller.

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 3

Joy posted pics of herself and Abbie.

Abbie looks great but Joy just looks so dowdy. I’m sure she’s probably not interested but she just seems old before her time. 

BC16C229-42E2-4861-9BA0-1D55999AC5E4.png

FF1C82C5-1897-4A3D-95B2-EF58F40A0587.png

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:32 AM, HereticHick said:

Cherokee Indian chiming in here--we have some pretty fantastic family names translated into English--mainly they are traditional military ranks from tribal warfare days:

Our late beloved Principal Chief, Wilma Mankiller is an example, and we also have folks with the family name of Tenkiller (also a geographic name, such as in https://www.travelok.com/state-parks/tenkiller-state-park), Fourkiller and Sixkiller.

Wilma Mankiller may be the coolest name I've ever heard.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Abbie looks great but Joy just looks so dowdy. I’m sure she’s probably not interested but she just seems old before her time. 

So true, and if you read the comments on Instagram many of them are about how cute Gracie is or how amazing Abbie looks, requests for links to Abbie’s clothes, etc.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

So true, and if you read the comments on Instagram many of them are about how cute Gracie is or how amazing Abbie looks, requests for links to Abbie’s clothes, etc.   

Abbie seems to almost always look fresh, young and modern. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I really, really, really like that Joy gives 0 f*s about looking fashionable, or having her hair and make-up done. And that Austin seems just at least as smitten ( and probably more ) as if she was always Insta ready. 

I suspect this at least partly stems from her being forced into the done hair and make-up mold of her big sisters when her parents decided it was time for her to be one of the “older girls” . As soon as she was married it was back to rarely wearing make up, work boots or barefoot, and baseball hats. To me, that’s just as big a statement  as publicly wearing pants. 

• Upvote 35
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

Part of me is surprised Joy still hasn’t gone all pants and shorts and chopped her hair to shoulder length. 

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Dowdy is in the eye of the beholder. Looks to me like she's rocking the cottage core look. - signed, a truly dowdy individual

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 16

• Coconut Flan locked this topic