IGNORED

Joy & Austin 32: Living the Fundie Dream with Rifles, RVs & Babies

GuineaPigCourtship

I am convinced my husband swears more after our daughter was born. I keep telling him we don't know when she'll start picking up words and I don't want the call from daycare that she's the one teaching the other kids bad words. He would laugh if that happened, if course.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerNameIsBuffy

• Expectopatronus

• baldricks_turnip

• Idlewild

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm living for the age where I can talk into my daughter's foot like it's a phone and she'll find it as hilarious as I do. So far it's not 3 months.

I feel like we shouldn’t applaud them for doing the absolute bare minimum of providing medical care to their child. On the other hand, considering the parents, this is a positive. 

I mean, I don't know what Joy and Austin specifically meant by their statement, but for myself I will forever credit Josh Duggar for being the reason I know that video of the 18m baby exists. It's rea

Posted Images

Queeen Victoria

Our daughter has mild/moderate cerebral palsy and commando crawled until two months before her 2nd birthday when she began to crawl on all fours.  Two days before her second birthday she walked.  I thought, "Now I've got you.  You can tire yourself out instead of me."

When she was 18 I told her she was old enough to curse since she was an adult.  She chose not to, but it was her decision.

Two favorite sentences:  "I had a good sleep" - a giant jump from "Want cookie" and similar 2 word phrases.  Once when I told her to behave she said, "But Momma, I've been having."

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Love 26
  • 2 weeks later...
Idlewild

Joy did a statement on her instastory. I think for these two it’s quite well put. It shouldn’t be a surprise there are children being hurt and exploited - her political heroes are always quick to accuse others of this. I think she means the reality that people like her family are involved.

Spoiler

B8EBAD00-8880-4C3B-813F-D131646E6C47.thumb.png.0093610b7b46eb845d9f79ff665dae67.png

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 7
Dandruff
54 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Joy did a statement on her instastory. I think for these two it’s quite well put. It shouldn’t be a surprise there are children being hurt and exploited - her political heroes are always quick to accuse others of this. I think she means the reality that people like her family are involved.

Hide contents

B8EBAD00-8880-4C3B-813F-D131646E6C47.thumb.png.0093610b7b46eb845d9f79ff665dae67.png

The line about wanting the truth to come to light is puzzling me.  JB said pretty much the same thing.  Given how the truth is looking at this point, and its implications for Josh's future, what exactly do they want lit and why?  Do they really suspect that he's innocent?

• Upvote 14
Idlewild
36 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

The line about wanting the truth to come to light is puzzling me.  JB said pretty much the same thing.  Given how the truth is looking at this point, and its implications for Josh's future, what exactly do they want lit and why?  Do they really suspect that he's innocent?

I think there’s a slim hope their expensive lawyers will uncover a plot to frame Josh to target their family because of their ‘Christian’ ministry. That’s the fantasy. The alternative is to accept what Josh is and that this family has tolerated, and in some cases enabled ,him to think he can get away with this. 

• Upvote 22
eljayem
1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

It could be a placeholder phrase so they don't actually have to state the truth.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1
Idlewild
37 minutes ago, eljayem said:

It could be a placeholder phrase so they don't actually have to state the truth.

I think for Joy the truth is going to be horrendous. She was a little girl abused by Josh. She now has little children of her own. His behaviour was played down, excused and minimised by the people who were supposed to protect her. Remember Michelle dabbing her eyes in the interview and muttering ‘it was over clothes’? It wasn’t.

She has admitted she had a crisis of faith and plate licking Joe talked her out of it. If only someone had helped her properly.

I’d love it if she and Austin just went about their lives privately and shut down their social media to friends only. However the lure of money from YouTube and SM using their children seems too strong for these people.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
AussieKrissy

So if he gets off on a technicality but not cleared of doing it, is that the truth coming to light? Does that make him innocent? For the rest of the world it won’t mean that but is that the way the duggars will spin it to the world and themselves? I have been thinking about this the last few days. Maybe it should be in the other thread though but it does follow on from this one though. 

• Upvote 12
theotherelise

While it’s easy for us to see this as an escalating pattern, Joy really believed what her parents told her and her church taught. In her world, Josh repented and was restored. 

I imagine her parents are still telling her Josh is innocent. It’s been 1.5 years since the raid and Josh and Anna and her parents acted like everything was normal. This is earth shattering for her. 

I read “we hope truth comes to light” as her trying to reconcile what she’s been told and what now appears to be true. This statement will be read by her family, not just the public. 

• Upvote 20
artdecades

I find the statement more odd the more I think I about it. The existence of the videos in this world is not the crime Josh is accused of. The crime is accessing them. It’s impossible to deny these videos exist based on the hearings, so focusing on them seems to be a diversion from Josh. 

• Upvote 4
seraaa
10 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Hide contents

I appreciate that they mentioned the victims.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4
seraaa
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, artdecades said:

I find the statement more odd the more I think I about it. The existence of the videos in this world is not the crime Josh is accused of. The crime is accessing them. It’s impossible to deny these videos exist based on the hearings, so focusing on them seems to be a diversion from Josh. 

It's all worded carefully so as not to imply guilt. Even if think he did it, I bet all public statements are going to be very circumspect.

There could be several reasons for this. One might be they think he's innocent. More likely, I see them being unwilling to declare anything because he hasn't been convicted yet. Whether this is out of respect for the process of justice, or because they managing family politics, who knows.

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 15
Grace
1 hour ago, seraaa said:

It's all worded carefully so as not to imply guilt. Even if think he did it, I bet all public statements are going to be very circumspect.

There could be several reasons for this. One might be they think he's innocent. More likely, I see them being unwilling to declare anything because he hasn't been convicted yet. Whether this is out of respect for the process of justice, or because they managing family politics, who knows.

I can certainly understand holding onto a slim thread of desperate hope that this is all some kind of misunderstanding or set-up because you want your brother to NOT be a disgusting monster. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
Vivi_music
3 hours ago, artdecades said:

I'm with you on this one. I find the statement strangely worded. Ok you are saddened that their are children being abused in this world. I think pretty much every normal human being is sad about that fact and we would all wish for this to be stopped. It seems they are dodging around what the real issue is here.

I agree that Josh is still innocent until proven the contrary. The matter here, dear Joy and Austin, is that your brother is accused of actively participated in propragating this abuse. Everyone is sadden to think about children being sexually abused, but a good way the police is trying to to stop that is by catching people who share CSA images online.

• Upvote 8
Idlewild
42 minutes ago, Grace said:

I can certainly understand holding onto a slim thread of desperate hope that this is all some kind of misunderstanding or set-up because you want your brother to NOT be a disgusting monster. 

Except Joy knows he is a disgusting monster. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
ToriAmos

Just a side question—who do you think wrote the statement? I don't want to overestimate the limitations of the SOTDRT—I mean, they seemingly can all read and write—but crafting careful statements that can be read in different ways and therefore not overtly upset anyone seems a different order of skill. One the one hand I think a publicist would have cleared/written all the kids' statements, but then I think, really? Would they/Boob have that level of control over everyone?

And how does that work? Do they all come over to the TTH with the publicists and lawyers and coordinate all their different statements, maybe tailoring them to what each individual couple wants to say a bit, while toeing the party line? Do the couples write something up and then send it over to Boob/publicist for cleaning up before they post it?

• Upvote 5
Idlewild

Austin has relatives who are in politics and isn’t one a lawyer? Maybe they consulted them. Certainly if you heard this couple speak you wouldn’t think they wrote this.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
marmalade
7 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Austin has relatives who are in politics and isn’t one a lawyer? Maybe they consulted them. Certainly if you heard this couple speak you wouldn’t think they wrote this.

It could have been one of the Freedomist crowd. Some of them have legitimate educations.

• Upvote 5
Idlewild
2 hours ago, marmalade said:

It could have been one of the Freedomist crowd. Some of them have legitimate educations.

Isn’t the Reber’s son one of them?

• Upvote 2
adidas

If they have found out recently, they could be going through the 7 stages of grief. Denial is right there - and IMO you can believe 100% that Josh has lied about what he did. He’s a smarmy, sleazy, deceptive pedophile and he would have no qualms about telling his family that someone else did it. 

I’m not surprised about the comments about the truth coming to light in the statements, but I think it says more about Josh and his enabler parents than  it does about his sisters. 

• Upvote 7
artdecades
18 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Except Joy knows he is a disgusting monster. 

She should, but does she? She’s been so brainwashed and turned around by her cult in the years after her abuse I am not sure she knows or agrees that josh is a monster. 

• Upvote 7
MamaJunebug
19 hours ago, ToriAmos said:

Just a side question—who do you think wrote the statement? I don't want to overestimate the limitations of the SOTDRT—I mean, they seemingly can all read and write—but crafting careful statements that can be read in different ways and therefore not overtly upset anyone seems a different order of skill. One the one hand I think a publicist would have cleared/written all the kids' statements, but then I think, really? Would they/Boob have that level of control over everyone?

And how does that work? Do they all come over to the TTH with the publicists and lawyers and coordinate all their different statements, maybe tailoring them to what each individual couple wants to say a bit, while toeing the party line? Do the couples write something up and then send it over to Boob/publicist for cleaning up before they post it?

Spent quite a few years in corporate public relations. That is certainly how it could happen. The message is agreed upon, talking points set our, statements prepared for the stakeholders involved. Every victimized Duggar daughter is a stakeholder except for Jill, who’s probably on her own.  

• Thank You 1
viii
54 minutes ago, artdecades said:

She should, but does she? She’s been so brainwashed and turned around by her cult in the years after her abuse I am not sure she knows or agrees that josh is a monster. 

I feel like she is still wrestling with this. Joy likely remembers what happened to her as a 5 year old child, but has had years of people telling her 'forgive forgive forgive' and has likely blocked it from her mind. I don't know how she'd be able to tolerate family occasions with Josh otherwise. However, now the past she's tried so hard to forget has slammed back in her face because this is CLEARLY no longer a 'curious teenage sin'. This is something very real and very harmful. 

Joy is going to have a lot of thinking to do. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
TheOneAndOnly

"Prayer that the truth comes to light" may mean that they want for there to be so much evidence that Josh did what he did, that no one can have any doubts and he is finally stopped.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
HarleyQuinn
Posted (edited)

If anything this makes the fundie bubble they live in more glaring. They just *now* realized terrible things like this happen to children? I find "praying for the truth to come out" very disingenuous as I did in the other statements. It reads like an excuse for Josh.

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4