IGNORED

Lawson Bates 4: He’s wearing a dog tag. He better be dating a soldier.

HerNameIsBuffy

On 6/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, Vivi_music said:

To be honest, I expected something along the lines of BlueLivesMatter or either complete silence out of the Bates or Duggar bunch. So I guess, in a way, it is more than I thought he would do.

They did do a blue lives matter post, it's in the main Bates thread in case anyone missed it. 

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

They did do a blue lives matter post, it's in the main Bates thread in case anyone missed it. 

Yes I saw it. I clearly spoke too soon or had too much faith in in the Bates, more than I should have. ?

Edited by Vivi_music
  • Upvote 3

Never have faith in the Bates.  They have plenty of faith themselves.

Buh-dum-tsss

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

Screenshot_20200602-221457.png.dc1a0729168ef41898fd044e7796b21b.png

Here's the blue lives matter post, Kelly posted it in the Bates family's Instagram stories.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Also Lawson especially shows his true beliefs via twitter!

What did he say now? 

It's more of his retweets then anything! I don't think he's tweeted in a while surprisingly! 

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone think Lawson would court and marry a relatively worldly woman? A gal with a little college education or tatoos or who lived on her own for a while? A female Jeremy to his Jinger? 

• Upvote 4

It would depend on what he wants in a wife.  I don't think he truly wants to be the Jinger in a relationship (air headed arm candy) because his male ego would want a woman who looks up to him.  If he's not as sold on the hardcore patriarchy stuff and doesn't need a submissive, obedient wife he might find a more interesting partner that way.

Jinger may not actually be as insipid as she appears, but her public persona is certainly focused on looks and zero substance.  Does she still bake? Or take photographs? Or do anything besides look adoringly at Jeremy?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

On 6/4/2020 at 8:47 PM, indianabones said:

Screenshot_20200602-221457.png.dc1a0729168ef41898fd044e7796b21b.png

Here's the blue lives matter post, Kelly posted it in the Bates family's Instagram stories.

If it wasn't for the shitty tone deaf message I'd still be offended by "trustable."

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

Lawson and Kelly are at it again with their ignorant/tone-deaf/privileged Instagram comments...

Screenshot_20200706-231601.png.462eaebede9e57189cd40468e9d801b0.pngScreenshot_20200706-231633.png.3edea8e6435c73c741ede8fc387a46fd.pngScreenshot_20200706-231733.png.a46e00d502328b151a0ea5ef648df3ee.pngScreenshot_20200706-231756.png.4f2db5c373c63c6835b8767c1ba12241.pngSeems like "Have a blessed day!" is Lawson's new way of telling people to fuck off (as opposed to "Bless your heart!")

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

They have the opportunity to pursue their dreams unless they're Bates women.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to offend anyone. However, I am from the Netherlands, and I have never really understood why so many Americans see the USA as the "land of the free"; to me, it often screams the exact opposite. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 9

It's weird because when people say that @Timetraveler they're acting like no other country has freedom? (Just did the quickest google search and just in one article alone the USA does not rank in the top 25 (The Netherlands do though!)). I think it's also the whole nationalism they kind of force on us as children.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

We're free from British rule. That's it. That's the American definition of freedom. 

For those not aware, the phrase "land of the free" comes from our national anthem: "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave." So yes, it does come from a place of nationalism that we're taught rather than what is true.

Freedom House shows that the UK and Canada are more free than the US. I mean, in Canada's national anthem it says "our true north strong and free." 

• Upvote 16

On 7/8/2020 at 11:26 AM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

They have the opportunity to pursue their dreams unless they're Bates women.

I wonder do the Bates women actually realize this? To them it may seem as if they are doing what's in "their" hearts. I've heard Kelly say that Alyssa wanted to get married and raise a family. Well, did she decide that's all her life had to offer or is that what she really wanted?? Nothing wrong with being a wife and mom. But with the Bates women...it's like being in love totally blows their mind away and they can't or won't see anything past that. Katie ditching the thought of nursing school probably had to do with the length of time and commitment it takes. Everything becomes so rushed for them as soon as they turn 18.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

On 7/7/2020 at 2:23 AM, indianabones said:

Lawson and Kelly are at it again with their ignorant/tone-deaf/privileged Instagram comments...

Screenshot_20200706-231601.png.462eaebede9e57189cd40468e9d801b0.pngScreenshot_20200706-231633.png.3edea8e6435c73c741ede8fc387a46fd.pngScreenshot_20200706-231733.png.a46e00d502328b151a0ea5ef648df3ee.pngScreenshot_20200706-231756.png.4f2db5c373c63c6835b8767c1ba12241.pngSeems like "Have a blessed day!" is Lawson's new way of telling people to fuck off (as opposed to "Bless your heart!")

I am so here for it if Lawson ever told anyone to "fuck off" for real.   

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

I must say I'm impressed that he can actually defend his opinion. I keep hearing people say prayer should be brought back. When did they pray?? I grew up in the 80's and we blessed our food before going to the cafeteria. That's it. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I must say I'm impressed that he can actually defend his opinion. I keep hearing people say prayer should be brought back. When did they pray?? I grew up in the 80's and we blessed our food before going to the cafeteria. That's it. 

In the early part of the twentieth century, it was common for public school students to say the Lord's Prayer and read a passage of the Bible at the start of the day. It was until 1962 in Engel v. Vitale that any endorsement of a religion in public schools was ruled to violate the Establishment Clause. 

However, what the pro-school prayer people won't tell you (or don't know) is that it was the Protestant Lord's Prayer being said and even then it was really controversial. It was a major reason Catholics built their own vast network of private schools--they saw public schools as a way for Protestants to indoctrinate their children. Others in the "Judeo-Christian" tradition that Fundies claim to support were similarly alienated. (The defendants in Engel v. Vitale  included Jews and Unitarians, not just atheists.)

Same for reading the Bible, it was usually a Protestant Bible, and there were lots of conflicts (sometimes violent) as cities' Catholic populations grew and they asked if a Catholic Bible could be substituted or if Catholic students could sit this out. 

And I've always wondered why they think prayer isn't happening in schools now. No one is stopping anyone from saying a silent prayer at the start of homeroom or before eating lunch. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 11
  • Love 1

1. When I taught in Arizona our principal did the morning announcements for the whole school over the intercom system and we started the day with the Pledge of Allegiance, our required piece from the Declaration of Independence, and a moment of silence. we told the kids each year that they could use it to pray if they wanted to but if they wanted to think about what they were having for lunch or who they wanted to hang out with at recess, it was up to them.

2. I'm going to expand on the Lord's prayer as listed above. Which version? I know we talked about Protestant vs. Catholic, but in some Protestant churches they say trespasses and those who trespass against us, others say debts and debtors, and even other say sins and sin against us.

3. Also, I was one of the few mainline Protestants in my classroom each year. More kids were Catholic, LDS, or Fundy. I wouldn't want to get in an argument with a Fundy parent because I was praying the wrong way for their children or reading from the wrong version of the Bible. which version of the Bible am I supposed to read? We know what Jill would say, but I know many others who are absolutely loyal to the NIV.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

1. When I taught in Arizona our principal did the morning announcements for the whole school over the intercom system and we started the day with the Pledge of Allegiance, our required piece from the Declaration of Independence, and a moment of silence. we told the kids each year that they could use it to pray if they wanted to but if they wanted to think about what they were having for lunch or who they wanted to hang out with at recess, it was up to them.

I've never heard of pieces of the declaration of independence being read as part of the morning routine.  Was this a public school that you taught in?  I went to public schools in a few different mostly white small towns outside of Rochester NY from 1985 to 1997.  Always recited the pledge of allegiance in the morning, but no other things.  However, I have a distinct memory from either middle school or early highschool, of singing a song in our music/chorus class where one of the lyrics went "jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton, gotta jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton." This was maybe '94 or '95?   Oh the CRINGE when I recall that now. The absolute living cringe.  

• Upvote 4

There is SO much about that one being in a chorus class:

Great God Almighty gonna pick a bale of cotton
Great God Almighty gonna pick a bale a day

Oh Lordy, pick a bale of cotton
Well oh Lordy, pick a bale a day
Well oh Lordy, pick a bale of cotton

You got to jump down, turn around and pick a bale of cotton
You got to jump down and turn around and pick a bale a day
You got to jump down and turn around and pick a bale of cotton

Me and my wife can pick a bale of cotton
Me and my wife gonna pick a…

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

22 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:

I've never heard of pieces of the declaration of independence being read as part of the morning routine.  Was this a public school that you taught in?  I went to public schools in a few different mostly white small towns outside of Rochester NY from 1985 to 1997.  Always recited the pledge of allegiance in the morning, but no other things.  However, I have a distinct memory from either middle school or early highschool, of singing a song in our music/chorus class where one of the lyrics went "jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton, gotta jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton." This was maybe '94 or '95?   Oh the CRINGE when I recall that now. The absolute living cringe.  

That was mandated by the Arizona legislature in 2000 that started with the 2001-2002 school year. All students in grades 4 5 and 6 were supposed to recite it but because our principal did all the announcements it was done as a whole school. There's part of an article on it.

https://azdailysun.com/students-will-recite-excerpt-from-declaration-of-independence/article_c101e823-1248-5283-8fea-cd93a5d2f32e.html

Spoiler

When school starts tomorrow, some Flagstaff students will be reciting part of the Declaration of Independence this fall.

That's because in May, the state Board of Education approved a rule to carry out a 2000 law to make fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders start their days by reading the section in which Thomas Jefferson explained the unalienable rights held by free men.

The excerpt: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Now the same students have grown up and refused to wear masks as the virus is spreading rapidly in Arizona because fewer people wear masks. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

23 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

There is SO much about that one being in a chorus class:

Oh Lordy, pick a bale of cotton

You got to jump down, turn around and pick a bale of cotton
You got to jump down and turn around and pick a bale of cotton

Me and my wife can pick a bale of cotton
Me and my wife gonna pick a…

Ahhhhh thats it!  Thats the rest of it!  OMG.  I have no memory of actually performing this as part of a concert to the wider school (not that we didn't, I just dont remember) but I for sure know we sang that ALOT in chorus class (maybe as a warmup?)  which is why it stuck in my memory.   I even remember the little booklet/pamphlet of music/lyrics that were passed out to all of us.  Oh man.   I really wonder now if our teacher (a white person, no surprise of course) would have chosen that song if there had even been one black kid in the class.    

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic