IGNORED

Lawson Bates 4: He’s wearing a dog tag. He better be dating a soldier.

HerNameIsBuffy

It’s my first thread title!!!! I am so honored! I would like to thank Lawson for being a pompous douche so I instantly am snarky when I see him. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

Oh Lawson. So Priority. Much Important. World peace depends on you I'm sure.

image.png.c1798846384e56b79a289b9a0ad8efc7.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 16

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Oh Lawson. So Priority. Much Important. World peace depends on you I'm sure.

image.png.c1798846384e56b79a289b9a0ad8efc7.png

What a Wanker.... that is all!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

26 minutes ago, JMO said:

So do we know what the hell he's doing? I'm surprised that he hasn't said. 

I don't understand why he's being such a secret squirrel. We know he's been in the Philippines, and it certainly isn't illegal to be a Christian missionary there. It is the 5th largest Christian country on earth, after all. Unless he's moved on to some Asian country that bans missionaries, like North Korea, he's just being a diva.

And why on earth would any organization send a preening manboy with no language skills to some place dangerous? He's not even a freaking pilot .

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ItalianSceptic said:

The Bates Family account on Instagram linked this https://www.gofundme.com/f/1v6gp4ci5c?utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_na+share-sheet&rcid=dd2ca03f9a2a45b3bd083e67559e4f28
In their last story.
He is in the Philippines for MEDI Corps, I guess...

I see he's posted it on Instagram now as well. He's raised $6,000 so far since yesterday.  This still doesn't explain why this was all such a secret. I guess he's had to get a Filipino visa now he's been there for over 30 days. [or maybe he thinks immigration laws don't apply to him because Jesus]

• Upvote 3

I mean at least he's actually helping people a la Catholic missionaries, as opposed to just serving their souls and nothing else. Fundies have been known to go the most impoverished places, burden them with the belief in hell, and then leave. 

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 2

1 hour ago, kmachete14 said:

I mean at least he's actually helping people a la Catholic missionaries, as opposed to just serving their souls and nothing else. Fundies have been known to go the most impoverished places, burden them with the belief in hell, and then leave. 

I respectfully disagree.

I suppose it's  better than him making his own spawn. That's the best way I can see it.

If this girl lives that's great, but it doesn't make up for Medic Corps being a sham of an organization.

It doesn't excuse the white savior missionary complex they have.

It doesn't excuse the fact that there are millions of kids, and brown ones even, right here in Murica that need help.

As has been pointed out numerous times, that family has skills that could be useful in disasters locally. And if no disasters are at hand - Lawson, take your beloved nieces and nephews and start finding ways to teach them about charity. Bradley and Carson are getting old enough. They are stinking cute. Photo ops aplenty.

The Philippines don't need Lawson. He needs to bring them Jesus. FJ and the documentary Poverty Inc. Have completely changed my mind about what our role is in the affairs of other countries.

I'm nauseated that he's posted this child in her hospital bed as well.

ETA: If one, just one, 2nd gen Bates/Duggar could successfully demonstrate a communicable level of Spanish - 10 points. And that's not much.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 24
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Oh yeah, definitely doesn't excuse anything. I'm just surprised he isn't on a Jill Duggar type mission trip, where they give out dinner in exchange for dooming them all to "hell." 

• Upvote 7

I also doubt that Lawson is the best person to have been negotiating the details of this girl's upcoming flight to the US and her surgery.

Does he have foreign language skills?  No

Any medical training or knowledge of the US medical system? No

Is he a pilot? No

Any knowledge of the US immigration system, or ability to negotiate with the US Embassy in Manila about bringing this girl into the US?  No

Fundraising expertise, including of charitable tax law? No

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Any chance that one of the Bates boys could return from a missioncation with a “saved” Filipino bride? I could definitely see Nathan pulling something like that. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

12 hours ago, Johannah said:

Any chance that one of the Bates boys could return from a missioncation with a “saved” Filipino bride? I could definitely see Nathan pulling something like that. 

"saved" as in converted from Catholicism? : )  I can see Nathan doing it, but I can't quite see Lawson doing it. He needs an adoring blonde who loves country music and horses. 

Oh, and for those FJers who thinks Lawson has any sort of gainful employment other than his money from UP & a few pennies here and there from streaming his songs--I think the fact that he's been out of the country for almost 2 months now demonstrates that he doesn't.  And I bet whatever he earns online from his music hasn't begun to cover the cost of his recording sessions & his travel to and from Nashville.

• Upvote 15

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

"saved" as in converted from Catholicism? : ) 

That would be quite a catch for one of these people, at least in terms of zeal and work.

I have several people in my Catholic family of origin who left for more evangelical/fundy lite pastures and with only one exception they all became anti-Catholic zealots and fully embraced the legalistic stance of their new churches.

There is nothing like a convert.

• Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That would be quite a catch for one of these people, at least in terms of zeal and work.

I have several people in my Catholic family of origin who left for more evangelical/fundy lite pastures and with only one exception they all became anti-Catholic zealots and fully embraced the legalistic stance of their new churches.

There is nothing like a convert.

I believe Jeremy Vuolo's father is an example of a converted Catholic turned fundy, right?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

I believe Jeremy Vuolo's father is an example of a converted Catholic turned fundy, right?

I believe so, but can't remember where I heard it.

ETA Idk if his dad is fundy, his family pretty mainstream.  Fundy lite?  Evangelical?  Idk.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

ETA: If one, just one, 2nd gen Bates/Duggar could successfully demonstrate a communicable level of Spanish - 10 points. And that's not much.

Why would any of the Bateses need to learn Spanish if they're in the Philippines? English and Filipino/Tagalog are the official languages and Spanish is very rarely spoken nowadays (besides some loan words).

14 hours ago, Johannah said:

The really cynical side of me has wondered this for awhile about Nathan. 

• Upvote 12

@llg1234
In deed you are correct. I was making very general statements about their usual mission work which has frequently taken them to Spanish speaking countries and was thinking of Dillard and Vuolo failed efforts in that arena.

But no, that wouldn't be applicable to this specific situation, you're right. It would be nice to see general language efforts anywhere they go.

• Upvote 6

On 1/13/2020 at 11:17 PM, HereticHick said:

I also doubt that Lawson is the best person to have been negotiating the details of this girl's upcoming flight to the US and her surgery.

Does he have foreign language skills?  No

Any medical training or knowledge of the US medical system? No

Is he a pilot? No

Any knowledge of the US immigration system, or ability to negotiate with the US Embassy in Manila about bringing this girl into the US?  No

Fundraising expertise, including of charitable tax law? No

Maybe he is not the best person for doing it, but he is the person that took an interest in this girl and probably the only chance she has. No one with all those skills you mention has taken an interest in her. Sadly cases like hers are too common and not everyone gets the help they need.  I will not snark on Lawson for doing this, especially because the fact that he didnt publicite it for months until he needed donations for the surgery means to me that he is doing it for the good reasons and not for atention.

• I Agree 4

On 1/13/2020 at 10:04 PM, Johannah said:

"Bringing Up Bates"/"90 Day Fiance" crossover when??

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Haha 15

17 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I believe so, but can't remember where I heard it.

ETA Idk if his dad is fundy, his family pretty mainstream.  Fundy lite?  Evangelical?  Idk.

His dad is a pastor with Grace Community Church, the organization that Jeremy was church-planting for in Laredo. Some of his dad's sermons are online here: https://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?speakeronly=true&currsection=sermonsspeaker&keyword=Chuck_Vuolo 

I haven't listened to the sermons, but Jeremy was mostly homeschooled and I'd say the parents at least are pretty fundie. Their older son, though, is publicly pretty liberal and they haven't shunned him (and neither have JinJer). 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 5

17 hours ago, llucie said:

Maybe he is not the best person for doing it, but he is the person that took an interest in this girl and probably the only chance she has. No one with all those skills you mention has taken an interest in her. Sadly cases like hers are too common and not everyone gets the help they need.  I will not snark on Lawson for doing this, especially because the fact that he didnt publicite it for months until he needed donations for the surgery means to me that he is doing it for the good reasons and not for atention.

While it is good he took an interest in this little girl. The frustrating part for me is that I am pretty sure he will keep on voting to make it harder for people like this child to come to America for help. 

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that Lawson has simply been cooling his heels in Philippines for almost 3 months now, simply waiting for his GoFundMe to hit $100K so he and the little girl can fly to the states & start her medical care? If he is doing any other kind of missioncationing, he certainly isn't posting about it.

So much for his heralded music (and prior to that, lawncare) career.

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic