IGNORED

Lawson Bates 4: He’s wearing a dog tag. He better be dating a soldier.

HerNameIsBuffy

18 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

That was mandated by the Arizona legislature in 2000 that started with the 2001-2002 school year. All students in grades 4 5 and 6 were supposed to recite it but because our principal did all the announcements it was done as a whole school. There's part of an article on it.

https://azdailysun.com/students-will-recite-excerpt-from-declaration-of-independence/article_c101e823-1248-5283-8fea-cd93a5d2f32e.html

Hide contents

When school starts tomorrow, some Flagstaff students will be reciting part of the Declaration of Independence this fall.

That's because in May, the state Board of Education approved a rule to carry out a 2000 law to make fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders start their days by reading the section in which Thomas Jefferson explained the unalienable rights held by free men.

The excerpt: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Now the same students have grown up and refused to wear masks as the virus is spreading rapidly in Arizona because fewer people wear masks. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Ugh.  Yeah.  So problematic just to make them recite that without context.  Also, this is a small thing, but those poor kids having to get that word salad out at 7am when they are half awake.   At least the pledge has kind of a lyrical rhythm to it that can be spat out without much thought.  

• Upvote 2

I hope Lawson remembers his love for individual liberties next time he's attending a anti-choice March.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I hope Lawson remembers his love for individual liberties next time he's attending a anti-choice March.

Oh he will...he will justify it as protecting the liberties of the unborn.

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

That was mandated by the Arizona legislature in 2000 that started with the 2001-2002 school year. All students in grades 4 5 and 6 were supposed to recite it but because our principal did all the announcements it was done as a whole school. There's part of an article on it.

https://azdailysun.com/students-will-recite-excerpt-from-declaration-of-independence/article_c101e823-1248-5283-8fea-cd93a5d2f32e.html

Reveal hidden contents

When school starts tomorrow, some Flagstaff students will be reciting part of the Declaration of Independence this fall.

That's because in May, the state Board of Education approved a rule to carry out a 2000 law to make fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders start their days by reading the section in which Thomas Jefferson explained the unalienable rights held by free men.

The excerpt: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Now the same students have grown up and refused to wear masks as the virus is spreading rapidly in Arizona because fewer people wear masks. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Oh hey, that was me!

Having it memorized has become one of my "neat drinking tricks", which I'm sure the AZ legislature counted on.

I, however, did not grow up to be an anti-masker. I actually have an excess of masks so I can match every outfit! My family thinks I have a mask problem! So, take that Arizona!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

On 7/12/2020 at 4:46 PM, The Mother Dust said:

However, I have a distinct memory from either middle school or early highschool, of singing a song in our music/chorus class where one of the lyrics went "jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton, gotta jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton." This was maybe '94 or '95?   Oh the CRINGE when I recall that now. The absolute living cringe. 

We did that one too…in 1975. I’m shocked that it was still making the rounds in the 90s!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Jasmar said:

We did that one too…in 1975. I’m shocked that it was still making the rounds in the 90s!

Wow! OMG.   Yeah, it was still circulating in my middle school high and school years in the small towns of western new york state anyway (i'm currently 40. y.o. if that helps) .... and I know it was specifically meant for music classes, (as opposed to just being a song our teacher remembered off the top of her head, and made us sing). because I remember the little chorus music booklet that we all got, with the piano music, lyrics and soprano, alto, etc parts all marked out.   It's possible those booklets could have been old, though still no excuse of course.   It's so crazy to think about that now.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

Wow! OMG.   Yeah, it was still circulating in my middle school high and school years in the small towns of western new york state anyway (i'm currently 40. y.o. if that helps) .... and I know it was specifically meant for music classes, (as opposed to just being a song our teacher remembered off the top of her head, and made us sing). because I remember the little chorus music booklet that we all got, with the piano music, lyrics and soprano, alto, etc parts all marked out.   It's possible those booklets could have been old, though still no excuse of course.   It's so crazy to think about that now.  

Here's the Ludacris version of it!  [Verse 3 of the Potion] 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 7/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, Coconut Flan said:

There is SO much about that one being in a chorus class:

Great God Almighty gonna pick a bale of cotton
Great God Almighty gonna pick a bale a day
Great God Almighty gonna pick a bale of cotton
Great God Almighty gonna pick a bale a day

Oh Lordy, pick a bale of cotton
Well oh Lordy, pick a bale a day
Well oh Lordy, pick a bale of cotton

You got to jump down, turn around and pick a bale of cotton
You got to jump down and turn around and pick a bale a day
You got to jump down and turn around and pick a bale of cotton
You got to jump down and turn around and pick a bale a day

Me and my wife can pick a bale of cotton
Me and my wife gonna pick a…

Weird! Growing up I knew it as "Oh Mandy" and I don't know if that was ever a thing, or something my mother changed because she didn't want us to sing "oh lordy".

• Upvote 3

When I was growing up (late 80s and 90s) we used to sing all kinds of folk songs and sea chanties.  Boy was I disappointed to realize a lot of them had racial/slavery undertones (or overtones) because I love simple folksy songs.  I really have to stop and think before I start singing any of them these days.  I don't think my mom was intentionally being an asshole by singing them to us, we just grew up in a very white part of our state and so did she.

The above was definitely one of them I thought was fun because of how upbeat it could be.  Of course now it's been in my  head for the past few days and my inner voice is getting a smack as soon as I figure out how.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

On 7/13/2020 at 10:06 PM, The Mother Dust said:

I guess it was popular with grade school music teachers, because I grew up in Oregon! The line I remember was, “gonna jump down, turn around pick a bale of cotton, gonna jump down turn around, pick a bale of hay.” It actually got worse from there (“oh Lordy, pick a bale of cotton…)

ETA: at the time, 1975, we thought we were honoring the black community by singing it ?

Edited by Jasmar
  • Upvote 3

On 7/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

When I was growing up (late 80s and 90s) we used to sing all kinds of folk songs and sea chanties.  Boy was I disappointed to realize a lot of them had racial/slavery undertones (or overtones) because I love simple folksy songs.  I really have to stop and think before I start singing any of them these days.  I don't think my mom was intentionally being an asshole by singing them to us, we just grew up in a very white part of our state and so did she.

The above was definitely one of them I thought was fun because of how upbeat it could be.  Of course now it's been in my  head for the past few days and my inner voice is getting a smack as soon as I figure out how.

This thread drift is bringing back some memories for me. 

When I taught at a Catholic school in the late 80s,  the kindergarten teacher taught her class the "pick a bale o'cotton" song, complete with synchronized "jump down, turn around" moves.  This would have been in 1989-90.   

As a 70s public K-8 grammar school student, we too learned folk songs and sea chanties, from the Silver Burdett and Ginn "Making Music Your Own" textbook series.  I absolutely remember learning songs like "Old Folks At Home" , "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", and "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen", with the words "Negro Spiritual" printed next to the songs in the textbook.  This would have been around 1973-1976 from third to sixth grade.  And my sister, who was four grades behind me, remembers learning "The Drunken Sailor" in third grade which would have been 1976-1977.   

By the time I made it to 7-8th grade, which would have been from 1976-1978, the music teacher simply gave us  mimeograph handouts of lyrics to popular songs, which we sang along to with the 45 records.  I can still visualize the words from Aerosmith's "Walk This Way": "See-saw swinging with the boys in the school with your feet flying up in the air, singing hey diddle diddle with your kitty in the middle of a swing like you didn't care" , pristinely typed in purple ink, and a bunch of obnoxious young 70s teenagers with tight jeans and feathered hair sitting at their desks and screaming the words at the top of their lungs.     

• Upvote 4

Oh, what do you do with a drunken sailor,

what do you do with a drunken sailor

what do you do with a drunken sailor

earl-eye in the morning!

Sounds like there weren’t too many options for curriculum for music teachers in the 70s.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

Some songs just stick with you and "pick a bale of cotton" is one of them. I can still sing the entire song in my head. I learned it in the private school I attended before my parents started homeschooling. I don't think anyone ever bothered to explain that it was about slaves picking cotton. 

Did anyone else sing the Erie Canal song? 

I got me a mule and her name is Sal, 

Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal.

She's a good old worker and a good old pal,

• Upvote 10

I don't recall any of this, I started school in 1975 graduated in 1988, and a VERY racist, VERY conservative small town in the Midwest.  We probably did I just don't remember it, and I'm sure they would have only had problems with the word Lordy being used because THAT would be offensive. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Some songs just stick with you and "pick a bale of cotton" is one of them. I can still sing the entire song in my head. I learned it in the private school I attended before my parents started homeschooling. I don't think anyone ever bothered to explain that it was about slaves picking cotton. 

I got me a mule and her name is Sal, 

She's a good old worker and a good old pal,

Most definitely.  That one was in the 70s grammar school music books too.

" And we know every inch of the way, from Albany to Buffalo!"     

• Upvote 3

So Lawson is on holiday (isn’t he always) again or something based from his insta posts. Hey it could be just local for all I know. But he is out with Kelly. He must have added a drone (prehaps) to his photography selfie kit. 

DAA44FF8-D76C-4139-856B-8685C664C1A3.png

Edited by AussieKrissy
Someone could be standing up there to take it. I’m a lazy fucker and would not walk up there lol
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

So Lawson is on holiday (isn’t he always) again or something based from his insta posts. Hey it could be just local for all I know. But he is out with Kelly. He must have added a drone (prehaps) to his photography selfie kit. 

DAA44FF8-D76C-4139-856B-8685C664C1A3.png

If I recall, Lawson previously said in an insta story that he was in Montana. If Kelly Jo is with him, maybe there’s a courtship on the horizon ? 

• Upvote 7

35 minutes ago, fundiebabez said:

If I recall, Lawson previously said in an insta story that he was in Montana. If Kelly Jo is with him, maybe there’s a courtship on the horizon ? 

I was thinking the same....

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, marmalade said:

He was in Idaho last time I checked. Didn't know he was with mommy. 

His last ig update with location is from 7 hours ago at the Glacier National Park in Montana but I did notice he was in Idaho earlier as well. 

Could this just be a birthday trip? His 28th birthday is in 10 days. 

• Upvote 2

Wow. I've never been to either state. These fundies really get around. Wish somebody was a pilot in our family?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

59 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

His last ig update with location is from 7 hours ago at the Glacier National Park in Montana but I did notice he was in Idaho earlier as well. 

Could this just be a birthday trip? His 28th birthday is in 10 days. 

And mom and dad will post a half-joking "happy birthday son, please get yourself a wife this year" post and I will be here for it.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 7/16/2020 at 6:25 AM, formergothardite said:

I still sing that sometimes when I'm driving alone and feeling fancy.  I just kind of like mules and belting out things.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

When I was growing up (late 80s and 90s) we used to sing all kinds of folk songs and sea chanties.  Boy was I disappointed to realize a lot of them had racial/slavery undertones (or overtones) because I love simple folksy songs. 

I've always loved folk and sea chanty type songs too.  Alot of them are very catchy and easy to sing.  In elementary school I remember singing "10 Little Indians".  This wasnt in a chorus class, it was during like a half hour of designated music time in the classroom.  For each countdown in the song, we sang the next verse faster and faster, so it was like a game.  For anyone familiar with that song, it has got SUCH a catchy melody, it's too bad the lyrics are cringy as hell.  I remember also singing "i've been working on the railroad" in school.  Which I just found out through google just now used to have VERY bad lyrics.  Yeesh.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:06 PM, Jasmar said:

I guess it was popular with grade school music teachers, because I grew up in Oregon! The line I remember was, “gonna jump down, turn around pick a bale of cotton, gonna jump down turn around, pick a bale of hay.” It actually got worse from there (“oh Lordy, pick a bale of cotton…)

ETA: at the time, 1975, we thought we were honoring the black community by singing it ?

I dont remember any conversation in my chorus class about the origin of this song we were singing.  Good or bad.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

I remember also singing "i've been working on the railroad" in school.  Which I just found out through google just now used to have VERY bad lyrics.  Yeesh.

I had no idea. :shock: I just googled too. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic