IGNORED

Lawson Bates 4: He’s wearing a dog tag. He better be dating a soldier.

HerNameIsBuffy

Wow I had never heard of Hyles-Anderson and I just went down a very scary rabbit hole. You can get a bachelor’s degree in Marriage and Motherhood. It includes taking required courses such as Christian Womanhood I and II, The Christian Wife, How to Schedule Your Time, and Crock-Pot Cooking. There are also electives titled Christian Ladies’ Attitude and Appearance, Understanding Your Husband, Woman the Completer (the role of the wife in making her husband and home complete), and Woman the Encourager. I’m speechless. @nolongerIFBx do you know people who have gone to this school?? Anyone who eventually questioned or left the fold? I am both horrified and fascinated. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 11
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Thank You 1

34 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Wow I had never heard of Hyles-Anderson and I just went down a very scary rabbit hole. You can get a bachelor’s degree in Marriage and Motherhood. It includes taking required courses such as Christian Womanhood I and II, The Christian Wife, How to Schedule Your Time, and Crock-Pot Cooking. There are also electives titled Christian Ladies’ Attitude and Appearance, Understanding Your Husband, Woman the Completer (the role of the wife in making her husband and home complete), and Woman the Encourager. I’m speechless. @nolongerIFBx do you know people who have gone to this school?? Anyone who eventually questioned or left the fold? I am both horrified and fascinated. 

Yeah- my brother and his wife,  her siblings and their spouses, former best friend and their spouse, several former pastors and their spouses, their kids. . . I could go on. None of those, but plenty others who questioned and left the fold, at least the Hyles brand of fundamentalism.

• Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, Johannah said:

I went down the same rabbit hole, alternating between laughing and being horrified. I'd pay good money to sit in on "Understanding Your Husband". Just not to this university. Don't think they'd appreciate how not seriously I'd take them, anyway.

But seriously that as a class? Hilarious. Horrifying. Horrlarious?

Edited by OrchidBlossom
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 2

I need to know more about the kinds of people who go to this school, what they do afterwards, how much secret rebellion there is, what it’s like to take those being your husband’s helpmeet classes, and what the hell happens if you major in marriage and motherhood and then never get married or have children! Would love to know more @nolongerIFBx

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Johannah said:

I need to know more about the kinds of people who go to this school, what they do afterwards, how much secret rebellion there is, what it’s like to take those being your husband’s helpmeet classes, and what the hell happens if you major in marriage and motherhood and then never get married or have children! Would love to know more @nolongerIFBx

If you were raised in the Hyles branch of fundamentalism, at one time Hyles was the only college that was acceptable to go to. Now there's some offshoots so a small amount of limited variety.

My SIL got a degree in teaching HS level math and music. Her sister also went for a teaching degree but didn't graduate engaged so stayed on until she found someone. I imagine if you got your degree in marriage and motherhood and didn't get married you probably became a SAHD or worked for the church as a secretary (although HAC has a program for that too).

Of course there's some "rebellion." Forgetting to wear a tie (male) or panty hose (female) was worthy of demerits. I think the tie still is, not sure about the panty hose. I heard of people who did manage to slip away from chaperones and kiss before marriage. I knew a couple who ran away and eloped. Oh, and someone I knew got expelled the day before graduating because they did something to Jack Schaap's office or door. Not showing proper respect for the Man of God Schaap (who ended up in prison for taking a 16 year-old across state lines forsex). 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 10

Assuming it’s from today, Lawson posted an Instagram story from a plane. 

Hopefully that means he won’t be in Georgia to intimidate minority and democratic voters tomorrow — oops I mean “poll watching”

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Johannah said:

Wow I had never heard of Hyles-Anderson and I just went down a very scary rabbit hole. You can get a bachelor’s degree in Marriage and Motherhood. It includes taking required courses such as Christian Womanhood I and II, The Christian Wife, How to Schedule Your Time, and Crock-Pot Cooking. 

"Crock-Pot Cooking"? Oh FFS that is the type of non-credit course you take in one afternoon at your community college or community center, and pay $50 for it.

I'm not saying it isn't a useful course, you just shouldn't be taking it at an alleged "academic college" and paying thousands in tuition.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 9

You can pay $0 and get some pretty good recipes off Pinterest by searching “crock pot recipe + a food you like.”

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 7

Understanding your husband in two steps: 

1) Marry someone who makes sense to you. 

2) Pay attention. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

Understanding your husband in two steps: 

1) Marry someone who makes sense to you. 

2) Pay attention. 

Yes! And if you have questions...ask him for clarification. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic