IGNORED

Joy and Austin 26: Please Wear the Appropriate Footgear Around Horses

samurai_sarah

Maybe an early ultrasound sound = valid prenatal care? Do people get those boutique USs early on or just for sex determination?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, twoandthrough said:

YES! I'm kind of introverted (but also extroverted... I never have figured out which I truly am), and that all sounds so real to me! I'm so glad you feel better now that they're older! :D

I would guess that you are introverted.  I know that I am introverted, but I also require a certain amount of social interaction to stay mentally healthy.  Too much social interaction tires me out though and I definately need my down time (I like to have a day a week at home "hermiting").

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

@Flossie and @VelociRapture Thank you both again for all the kind words and advice. I did really need it. ❤️

I am so bad at guessing, so I will refrain, but I am very curious about the name (no matter the sex). I really hated Gideon (did I spell that correctly?) when they announced it, but it has grown on me and he really looks like his name. I wonder if they will go for something else a little off the wall or pull a Jessa and have a "standard" name for the second kid. I do feel bad for Spurge sometimes even tough his name has grown on me too.

• Upvote 3

@mango_fandango yes! Ambiversion is totally a thing. Anytime I take a Myers Briggs test there's a point difference between my Extroversion  vs Introversion scores. Whether I'm considered an ENFP or an INFP depends on my mood. I get a rush from fun social exchanges, and tend to work in jobs that require connecting with people, but I need serious hermiting to recharge.

Apparently my Duggar spidey sense isn't working well lately. I really thought Abbie would be next. I guess if I keep saying it I'll get it right eventually.

What an avalanche of baby announcements! It was a little over 2 weeks between JoKen and Anna, then less than a week between Anna and Joystin. I don't think it's over yet.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Isn’t there such a thing as an ”ambivert”? You can have both introvert and extrovert traits. I am definitely an introvert. I have no idea how I’ll react to kids. Thankfully I am nowhere near having them yet so I have time :pb_lol:

Was Gideon named after a particular religious figure? Martyn is obviously a family name. I never really do predictions for Duggar baby names, birth dates and weights. I’m leaning slightly more towards boy, don’t really know why. One baby is too early to establish any particular name theme. 

Yes he was. Gideon was a military leader, Judge, and Prophet in the Old Testament’s Book of Judges.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

The biggest question I have is whether or not Joy took note of how easily Kendra's pregnancy/deliver went and goes that route or if she does the horrid Jill route again.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

I hope she gets proper medical care. I have long suspected that the Duggar daughters have gestational diabetes because they have all had these huge babies (Jessa, Jill, Joy) while the in-law daughters (Anna, Kendra) seem to have normal sized babies. It’s not like J, J, and J are married to these huge men that might explain big babies. They could really reduce their c-sections and improve their deliveries (not to mention their health and the health of their babies) with some proper, regular medical care. I was able to diet control my GD and have regular deliveries with my children. But it required medical care and monitoring. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

Well if I was right about babypalooza. If Joy has any brains and wants to continuing birthing for jesus she will seek proper medical care to ensure the best possible scenario for a v back so she doesnt end up like silly jillymuffin.

*sighs* who am I kidding she's probably talking about attempting a home birth with SODT midwife jill. 

the only announcement that would make me fall out of my chair as if a couple announced they only wanted 2 to 3 kids

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, FaithAndReason said:

I hope she gets proper medical care. I have long suspected that the Duggar daughters have gestational diabetes because they have all had these huge babies (Jessa, Jill, Joy) while the in-law daughters (Anna, Kendra) seem to have normal sized babies. It’s not like J, J, and J are married to these huge men that might explain big babies. They could really reduce their c-sections and improve their deliveries (not to mention their health and the health of their babies) with some proper, regular medical care. I was able to diet control my GD and have regular deliveries with my children. But it required medical care and monitoring. 

Jinger has a big ass husband too. Since she was under proper care, her baby wasn't 10+lbs. She was obviously trying to avoid what her sisters went thru. I do think they've had gestational diabetes. Not body shaming but Joy especially looked really puffy towards the end. But I don't think she even saw a real doctor at least once. 

• Upvote 3

No surprise!

So, in that photo of Abbie, Lauryn and Kendra, so far it's only Kendra... wanna bet the next two will follow suit soon, then OMG.

• Upvote 4

I'm also sure they had gestational diabetes. Most likely nobody got screened. But it's also possible to get screened before you develop GD. 

And with subsequent pregnancies, GD can come earlier and earlier. For my last baby I was already diagnosed at 13 weeks and on insulin by 16 weeks. I didn't gain that much weight with my pregnancies (never more than 23 lbs) but both my Mom and maternal grandmother are diabetics so genetics got me.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

They are going to need one of those panorama cameras for the mass belly pic.

They should just declare one day a month (say, 2nd Sunday afternoon) for a mass birthday celebration. And yes, they should erect a big picnic pavilion on their property.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

@mango_fandango yes! Ambiversion is totally a thing. Anytime I take a Myers Briggs test there's a point difference between my Extroversion  vs Introversion scores. Whether I'm considered an ENFP or an INFP depends on my mood. I get a rush from fun social exchanges, and tend to work in jobs that require connecting with people, but I need serious hermiting to recharge.

Yes! I agree. I forgot that my Myers-Briggs bounces back and forth. I am ALWAYS an SFJ... but the I and E tends to differ (just barely) depending on what I assume is my mood when I take the test. I usually say I'm an ambivert to avoid confusion (like during ice breakers and whatnot when it's asked which you are), but then it actually leads to more confusion when people have heard of that. ?

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

Jinger has a big ass husband too. Since she was under proper care, her baby wasn't 10+lbs. She was obviously trying to avoid what her sisters went thru. I do think they've had gestational diabetes. Not body shaming but Joy especially looked really puffy towards the end. But I don't think she even saw a real doctor at least once. 

I believe the average weight of a newborn is currently 7.5 pounds, though the “normal” range according to What to Expect is between 5.8 pounds and 10 pounds. The American Pregnancy Association gives a smaller range of 6-9 pounds for most newborns. Going off that, I think I have all these right:

Jinger was induced ahead of her due date. I think it was only a few days early, but considering how far over some of her sisters went that likely made a big difference in sizes. Felicity was still 8 lbs 3 oz though. That’s a normal size for a newborn, but I want to say it’s still on the big side for a girl. I believe average weight gain for babies in the last month is around a 1/2 pound per week. Had she gone into labor as late as Jill did, then Felicity likely would have been at or over the 9 pound mark, which is definitely on the big side for a girl. My own Doctor was convinced my daughter would be close to 9 pounds, but she wound up being born prematurely so we’ll never know if she was right about that.

Jill went 11 days past her due date with Izzy. No idea how far over she went with Sam. Both boys were 9 lbs 10 oz. It’s very possible the boys wouldn’t have been so big if she had gone into labor earlier or been induced like Jinger. 

Jessa was only a few days past her due date with Spurgeon, yet he was a little bigger than Izzy and Sam at 9 lbs 11 oz. She appears to have tried eating healthier the next time and Henry was less than 9 pounds, but still a bit on the big side at 8 lbs 11 oz.

Joy was, I believe, one day past her due date when Gideon was born. He's the only 10 pounder so far, at 10 lbs 3 oz. I’d say he’s the only baby so far that definitely falls outside the typical weight range of a newborn. A few others are close, depending on which weight range you go with.

Anna has had babies weighing the following:

Mack - 8 lbs

Michael - 8 lbs 5 oz

Marcus - 9 lbs 3 oz

Meredith - 7 lbs 14 oz

Mason- 9 lbs 10 oz

I want to say Kendra went prior to her due date, but I could be wrong. Garrett was the smallest Duggar grandbaby at 7 lbs 8 oz.

As for lengths... Izzy was the longest at 23 inches. That’s followed by Gideon, Samuel, and Mason who were all 22 inches. Spurgeon and Henry were 21.25 and 21.75 respectively. The rest were between 21 and 19.5 inches. 

I can’t find numbers anywhere, but I want to say that Michelle herself seems to have had several bigger babies as well. Only one I can remember is Jessa since she was the biggest at right around 10 pounds. I think it’s very possible that genetics have played some sort of role in how large some of the grandchildren have been so far, especially because several of the in-laws are on the taller side (Anna, Derick, and Jeremy. I think Ben is too.)

(And to me, all these babies seem big because my daughter was a 5 pound 19 inch peanut at birth. Lol!)

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8

3 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

Is it that strongly genetic? I hear what you're saying, but wow, for ALL of them to have GD, that just seems unlikely. (Not trying to doubt, just to question/clarify. I don't know anything from experience.)

Edited by meee
  • Upvote 2

I had GD with my fourth Baba. Undiagnosed and therefore untreated. Long story short, I had a planned homebirth, which was amazing and he was 10lbs 6.5oz and 24.8 inches long. He is 11 now and hale and hearty.

All due to the most amazing midwife who then went back to the hospital and tore new arseholes in all the staff who'd ignored me and my concerns the prior 9 months ? 

• Upvote 7

My best friend had un-diagnosed GD with her first. She had the testing at 26wks or right around there but developed it later. Her son was born at 35 wks due to incompetent cervix at 7lbs 1oz. He was the biggest premie in the NICU but he had a lot of issues and was vented for 4 weeks. He's 5.5 now and he's at huge kid. He is taller and bigger than my son who has 6 months on him. 

Both of my kids were big. My son was 9lbs 9oz at 40w5d, which was the exact weight my husband was at birth. My daughter was born at 39wks at 8lbs 10oz. So she likely would have been over 9 pounds as well if she went an extra two weeks and was born around the time my son was born. I was also a large baby at 8lbs 15oz but I was born at 42 weeks. 

My mom's babies were all over the place. My older sister was 1lbs 5oz at 25 weeks ( she only survived 2 days). I was 8lbs 15oz at 42 weeks, My sister was 7 even at 44 weeks and my brother was 8lbs 7oz at 40.3 weeks.

• Upvote 3

GD does have a genetic component. My mom had it with me and then I had it with my pregnancies. And it's not JUST about the baby's weight (for the person who posted the baby weight research) Babies born to mothers with GD also (can) have very wide shoulders. This is one of the reasons that GD mothers need C-sections. They simply cannot push the shoulders through. But, as my ob informed me, if the mother controls the GD and the weight of the baby, then the shoulders are less likely to be a problem, too, and therefore a better delivery. Again, it's also about the well being of the mom and the baby. GD can have lots of complications outside of a heavy baby with big shoulders and a C-section. And it's so easy to deal with if the mother gets regular, real, medical care. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Both of my kids would have been at or over 10 lbs had they gone to term, #1 was born at 36 weeks and was 8 lbs, #2 was born at 38 weeks 3 days and was 9lbs 2oz, I didn't have GD and I had excellent prenatal care. A friend of mine did have GD with both of her pregnancies and both her girls were just at or just under 8 lbs,  and both were born within days of her due date.  

ETA, she's probably not the best one to compare she was/is a smoker, so that most likely kept their weights down. And yeah, I know don't smoke when you're pregnant, she knew better but did it anyway.  They are 19 & 16 now and perfectly healthy so...:confusion-shrug:

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I believe the average weight of a newborn is currently 7.5 pounds, though the “normal” range according to What to Expect is between 5.8 pounds and 10 pounds. The American Pregnancy Association gives a smaller range of 6-9 pounds for most newborns. Going off that, I think I have all these right:

Jinger was induced ahead of her due date. I think it was only a few days early, but considering how far over some of her sisters went that likely made a big difference in sizes. Felicity was still 8 lbs 3 oz though. That’s a normal size for a newborn, but I want to say it’s still on the big side for a girl. I believe average weight gain for babies in the last month is around a 1/2 pound per week. Had she gone into labor as late as Jill did, then Felicity likely would have been at or over the 9 pound mark, which is definitely on the big side for a girl. My own Doctor was convinced my daughter would be close to 9 pounds, but she wound up being born prematurely so we’ll never know if she was right about that.

Jill went 11 days past her due date with Izzy. No idea how far over she went with Sam. Both boys were 9 lbs 10 oz. It’s very possible the boys wouldn’t have been so big if she had gone into labor earlier or been induced like Jinger. 

Jessa was only a few days past her due date with Spurgeon, yet he was a little bigger than Izzy and Sam at 9 lbs 11 oz. She appears to have tried eating healthier the next time and Henry was less than 9 pounds, but still a bit on the big side at 8 lbs 11 oz.

Joy was, I believe, one day past her due date when Gideon was born. He's the only 10 pounder so far, at 10 lbs 3 oz. I’d say he’s the only baby so far that definitely falls outside the typical weight range of a newborn. A few others are close, depending on which weight range you go with.

Anna has had babies weighing the following:

Mack - 8 lbs

Michael - 8 lbs 5 oz

Marcus - 9 lbs 3 oz

Meredith - 7 lbs 14 oz

Mason- 9 lbs 10 oz

I want to say Kendra went prior to her due date, but I could be wrong. Garrett was the smallest Duggar grandbaby at 7 lbs 8 oz.

As for lengths... Izzy was the longest at 23 inches. That’s followed by Gideon, Samuel, and Mason who were all 22 inches. Spurgeon and Henry were 21.25 and 21.75 respectively. The rest were between 21 and 19.5 inches. 

I can’t find numbers anywhere, but I want to say that Michelle herself seems to have had several bigger babies as well. Only one I can remember is Jessa since she was the biggest at right around 10 pounds. I think it’s very possible that genetics have played some sort of role in how large some of the grandchildren have been so far, especially because several of the in-laws are on the taller side (Anna, Derick, and Jeremy. I think Ben is too.)

(And to me, all these babies seem big because my daughter was a 5 pound 19 inch peanut at birth. Lol!)

I think genetics definitely plays into this. I agree with all of what you said. I'll be interested to see how big any of Lauren and Josiah's future babies are since they both seem like smaller people overall (though I am only guessing that based on photos - haha - I really have no clue).

My older daughter was induced three days before my due date and was 6 lb 3 oz and 19 in. My second daughter was induced three WEEKS early (preeclampsia) and was 7 lb 3 oz and 19.5 in. So bizarre how much they differed, though I have since learned that daughter #2 was likely so big due to me being on fluids for 2 days during the induction before she was actually born. I guess doctors are finding that extra fluid fluffs up a baby... she later dropped to 6 lb flat before leaving the hospital 30 hours later despite nursing like a pro. 

• Upvote 5

I had GD with both of mine (had to have meds for it for my second kid, not insulin, but glyburide) and my first was 2 days before her due date 7 lb 13 oz, and #2 was 2 weeks and 2 days before his due date 6 lb 11 oz. (I think if he'd been born on his due date he'd have been about the same as his sister).  So... if treated well, you can still have good results.

• Upvote 5

I really need to stop thinking about these people and their babies. BUT just adding:

Even if these girls/women don't have GD, there is something that is leading to needing c-sections. Maybe, maybe if they had proper medical care throughout their pregnancies, they could be prepared for a c-section prior to delivery and avoid the emergency situations. Or maybe they could work towards preventing a c-section during the 7 months or so prior to delivery by being under the care of a doctor.

Or maybe they should stop romanticizing having babies as if, prior to modern medicine, women just got pregnant, had a delivery on her straw filled bed, got up, and back to work. Yes, there were and are women who have easy deliveries. But yes, there were and are women who have difficult and/or complicated deliveries. And the beauty of modern medicine is that some of that difficulty can be reduced or eliminated--WITH PROPER PRENATAL CARE!! (<-----I am yelling at the Duggars here, not any of FJ ?)

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 27

1 hour ago, FaithAndReason said:

I really need to stop thinking about these people and their babies. BUT just adding:

Even if these girls/women don't have GD, there is something that is leading to needing c-sections. Maybe, maybe if they had proper medical care throughout their pregnancies, they could be prepared for a c-section prior to delivery and avoid the emergency situations. Or maybe they could work towards preventing a c-section during the 7 months or so prior to delivery by being under the care of a doctor.

Or maybe they should stop romanticizing having babies as if, prior to modern medicine, women just got pregnant, had a delivery on her straw filled bed, got up, and back to work. Yes, there were and are women who have easy deliveries. But yes, there were and are women who have difficult and/or complicated deliveries. And the beauty of modern medicine is that some of that difficulty can be reduced or eliminated--WITH PROPER PRENATAL CARE!! (<-----I am yelling at the Duggars here, not any of FJ ?)

Also many women with the constant homebirths in the days they romanticize DIED giving birth. Modern medicine and prenatal care is to help lower the maternal death rate!!

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, meee said:

Is it that strongly genetic? I hear what you're saying, but wow, for ALL of them to have GD, that just seems unlikely. (Not trying to doubt, just to question/clarify. I don't know anything from experience.)

Yes, it's very strongly genetic. (Side note I was asked to be followed in a study because there isn't a lot of research done about women whose mothers had GD). The other thing is that if your GD is bad enough to require insulin, the current standard is to induce/deliver at no later than 38 weeks, but typically somewhere in the 37-38 week range. This is because the placenta begins to degrade and fail in diabetic mothers and can be witnessed by a rapid drop off in blood glucose counts after about 34/35 weeks. So you're eating the same food, taking the same insulin but suddenly you have very low numbers and even hypo states. Time to deliver ASAP. This is why it's so dangerous for them to not be closely monitored if there is even a whiff of GD.

My son was born at 38+6 and was 9 lb 4 oz. I did not require insulin with him.

My daughter was born at 36 weeks even and was 6 lb 12 oz. I needed insulin already at 16 weeks. My placenta had started to fail with her and after suffering hypos for 3-4 days, the MFM, high risk OB and endocrinologist were not willing to wait.

As a side note I gained relatively little weight during my pregnancies, 23 lbs with my son and 21 with my daughter.

Edited by AtlanticTug
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

10 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Ambiversion is totally a thing. Anytime I take a Myers Briggs test there's a point difference between my Extroversion  vs Introversion scores. Whether I'm considered an ENFP or an INFP depends on my mood.

Yep; mine was 51% I- and 49% E-, practically tied.

On the one hand, I have no problem performing or speaking in public, I'm comfortable leading a group, etc. Nobody would ever call me "shy" or "quiet".

On the other hand, I get worn out when I'm with people all the time, recharge by being alone, would rather be home alone with a book than at a large social gathering.

So I like this "ambivert" label. ?

• Upvote 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic