IGNORED

Joy and Austin 26: Please Wear the Appropriate Footgear Around Horses

samurai_sarah

I’ve taken it in two college classes - one was an intro psychology course and the other was a GE required class that was supposed to help you pick a major and possible career fields. In both cases it was seen as an exercise in understanding yourself better, but not as some end all definition. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I’m an INFP (or possibly INTP) and Ravenclaw (if that’s what’s meant by the Harry Potter test). 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Have all Americans done Meyers-Briggs? I find that telling me things about myself that I already know about myself is not very useful. 

I agree, and I don't always like to box myself into a label/category because I feel like I will limit myself. However, I often find it useful to use key words to describe myself in a positive way for interviews, applying for jobs, university, etc. It can help me get over writer's block when I have to answer any of those "tell me about your strengths/weaknesses" questions, haha!

And also just because I want to join in the personality discussion, I am an INTJ and a Ravenclaw. Although I'm skeptical of how they seem to say that all the MBTI types are "rare" (with a couple more rare that others of course), I've heard that INTJ females are pretty rare.

• Upvote 3

On 5/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, SassyPants said:

I think of all the guys involved, Derick and Jeremy are most interested in being “headships” and curiously enough, also the families that seem to be distancing themselves most from the Duggar life style. I would not be surprised to hear that these 2 men have told their wives exactly what they think of JB/M and all their odd ass rules (clothing, music, books, dancing, education). The Duggar boys seem “simple”, in terms of just rolling down the road without critical thought or the want of making any real decision. 

I agree with a lot of your post but particularly this part! The Duggar boys seem to bumble along for the most part without much of a thought, care, or strong opinion. It's striking to me because men are supposed to be the "headships" and the power in the relationship... but the Duggar kids are programmed to do as they are told, obey mom and dad, practice contentment, fear God, but God will steer your life in a certain direction, etc. This shapes the women to be meek paper dolls like Jinger, fulfilling the fundie wife role, but where does that leave the Duggar men? JB is headship forever? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I am an ENTJ, which apparently only 1.5% of women are, but then I always knew I was...special ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

I’ve taken it in two college classes - one was an intro psychology course and the other was a GE required class that was supposed to help you pick a major and possible career fields. In both cases it was seen as an exercise in understanding yourself better, but not as some end all definition. 

I was given the full long test years ago by a minister interested in different ways of reaching people or helping them choose paths in the church. Later I took a shorter 72 question one online. Same result, INTP. It's enjoyable to muse over as well as helpful in understanding how to work with and communicate with other people, and sometimes why so many other people seem to be on another page in another book. 

No box required, no quackery employed; just an examination of reception, perception, and the decision-making process.

• Upvote 4

It’s interesting how many of us here are the same personalities. Obviously we have a very similar interest and we probably react in similar ways. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

I am an ENTJ, which apparently only 1.5% of women are, but then I always knew I was...special ? 

I took the Myers-Briggs twice in college. I got INTJ both times and I’ve been told the same thing!

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, BlondeIdol said:

I took the Myers-Briggs twice in college. I got INTJ both times and I’ve been told the same thing!

I've taken it several times - always the same (although if I take it answering with only my family in mind it's INFJ.)

If we're "special" at all (how would they know?) we're far less special online where we can control and limit our social contact to our exact preferences.  Many with those traits gravitate toward online communities.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
edited because after 150 years of posting on line i still riffle every single post
  • Upvote 8

7 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I thought the Myers-Briggs test was quackery. It seems to be something that people latch onto and use it to excuse themselves for things. Your personality type isn't going to come completely from one test, most people are more of a mix. You may be high in some areas and low in others, and it may change over time. 

Honestly I always have too. I think any of those personality tests are quackery. The most frustrating thing about all the LGBT groups I'm in on facebook is that every single lesbian seems devoutly into astrology. ANd I just can't do it. I can get past a lot of things but not astrology and Myers-Briggs is basically astrology for "scientists" to me.

• Upvote 9

I'm a super huge introvert. I am happy always being home and never seeing people much. I'm an INTP-T on MB and a Ravenclaw. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

In terms of the %s derived, I suppose people who have administered the tests have compiled data over time and that’s how the %s have been determined.

Yes, but that makes it highly rare in just the tested group for which data has been compiled, and does not necessarily translate to the population at large. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

Yes, but that makes it highly rare in just the tested group for which data has been compiled, and does not necessarily translate to the population at large. 

Of course it would only apply to those tested, but clearly many, many, many,,many people have been tested.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I thought the Myers-Briggs test was quackery. It seems to be something that people latch onto and use it to excuse themselves for things. Your personality type isn't going to come completely from one test, most people are more of a mix. You may be high in some areas and low in others, and it may change over time. 

Yes, it’s been pretty thoroughly debunked, and is totally unscientific. And yet, is still so irritatingly popular, maybe because all the types give a positive spin on personality. 

Nice summary of its issues here: http://www.indiana.edu/~jobtalk/HRMWebsite/hrm/articles/develop/mbti.pdf

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

I’ve done Myers-Briggs a few times and come out with slightly different combinations each time. The first letter is always I, though. I never took it seriously. It didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know. It’s difficult to pin down your personality to just one little box or paragraph. 

• I Agree 4

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Of course it would only apply to those tested, but clearly many, many, many,,many people have been tested.

But especially with personality tests you will see that some personality types are more likely to take such a test. So only if they took a random group of people that all had to take the test, and use only those outcomes, these %s make sense.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Honestly I always have too. I think any of those personality tests are quackery. The most frustrating thing about all the LGBT groups I'm in on facebook is that every single lesbian seems devoutly into astrology. ANd I just can't do it. I can get past a lot of things but not astrology and Myers-Briggs is basically astrology for "scientists" to me.

Interesting. I have half a dozen good friends who are lesbian and I don’t think any of them have so much as mentioned a star sign to me. Then again, I’d be surprised if more than one of them was on a LGBT Facebook group. Two of them don’t have Facebook at all.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Smee said:

Interesting. I have half a dozen good friends who are lesbian and I don’t think any of them have so much as mentioned a star sign to me. Then again, I’d be surprised if more than one of them was on a LGBT Facebook group. Two of them don’t have Facebook at all.

I'm only in ones for my area, so that  probably has something to do with it. It's really frustrating because it's as though the people in them think star signs and moon signs and planet positions rule their lives. It's driving me insane. 

• Upvote 5

I took the Myers-Briggs once in college.  As our results were announced, the teacher had us group ourselves into opposite sides of the classroom.  I can't remember exactly what my designation was, only that it was supposed to be rare, only a couple of other combinations was more unusual.  I was surprised to learn that I was an introvert, because I was a loud kid who craved attention.  But as I grew older, I really did become more of an introvert.  About a quarter of us were on one side, and the rest were on the other.  

Anyway, the funny part of the test was how many of the extroverts insisted that they couldn't possibly be an extrovert.  They acted like it was some kind of an insult.  Soon, all of us introverts were sitting quietly together in one corner of the classroom while the larger group of the extroverts were shouting to the instructor that the test was wrong.  The instructor was obviously taken aback, and arguing back with them.  The discussion got so loud that a couple of other teachers from nearby classrooms showed up to see what all the shouting was about.

Meanwhile, my little group of introverts was sitting there talking quietly about how this was all really silly.  One of us asked if maybe we should get involved with the discussion, and we all looked at each other for a moment and decided that no, we're introverts, we'll just sit here and watch the fireworks.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 23

@Flossie, that sounds like when my 8 year old is upset and shouting. Me: "Please stop shouting, so we can work things out." 8 year old: "I'm NOT SHOUTING!!!!!" :pb_lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

I am am ISTJ and Hufflepuff (posting more to represent the Hufflepuff than my MB, but I had not seen either mentioned). I took the online test last year because my husband found the report from when he took the long one at Uni for a soft skills thing (I asked and he made it sound complicated, so that is that short version). I just wanted to see ball park how we differed and how we are similar. It was interesting. We differ only in one letter and before taking the test I bet him that we would differ for sure in that one and were probably the same in the others. I was right. I think it is interesting to do tests like these and force myself to be honest and give my gut reaction or most honest train of thought on them which is something I don't do a lot in real life. If it is of no real consequence to myself, I tend to be a people-pleaser in public, but tests like these show me more who I am honestly because no one else is really going to know or care about my result if I am unhappy with it. I also think it is interesting if the result changes and trying to figure why. I am not so great at asking myself questions and then figuring out the answer and what it means, but having a set of questions asked analyzing the result the test gives is much more fun. I have had the MB explination of my type bookmarked for a year meaning to read it, but just have not had time. I should really do that soon.

• Upvote 2

I’ve done the online MB a couple of times for shits and giggles, but I have not committed to memory whatever the result was. I know I was right on the border between extrovert and introvert, and my husband is like 98% introvert so I was like “see?! I’m not super super extroverted, it just SEEMS that way because I’m so different to you”. I could not for the life of me remember the Fs and Ts and Ss and Js and whatnot. 

I’m a Ravenclaw/Raven-puff if that helps. Far too wimpy to be Gryffindor or Slytherin.

• Upvote 3

It is inherently imperfect because yes or no questions they ask are impossible without context or answering with an essay.

But since it's self reported feelings/behavior it has some value in that if I had a choice I'd never ever share an office with someone whose type started with E.

I've married one, have an E kid, many E friends I love but to share an office?  Not by choice.

• Upvote 5

Since y’all are mentioning houses and stuff I’m INTP but a Slytherin. I’ve taken that test many times. Always a Slytherin. But I never believed the whole house was bad. 

I’m also a clear Divergent. I’ve had this convo with a friend. I wouldn’t fit into any of the strict categories cuz I’d be too bored to be Erudite. Although it would be a close call between Erudite and Candor. I have a tendency to just blurt stuff out. Filtering myself has become easier with age tho. Always a seeker of truth and knowledge. She’s 100% Erudite and Ravenclaw. She tries to say she’s half Ravenclaw half Gryffindor but she doesn’t have a brave bone in her body ?

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic