IGNORED

Joy and Austin 26: Please Wear the Appropriate Footgear Around Horses

samurai_sarah

7 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm still not convinced Gideon was breech, I think he was just too big for Joy to deliver vaginally. I think this time, she will get prenatal care from Kendra's doctor and will have a much smaller baby, under 9 lbs. 

I'm guessing Jill isn't built internally for natural births and I'd be surprised if they had any more kids. I still think something happened during Samuel's birth that will prevent Jill from safely delivering another child. 

If she's as close to kendra as the show wants us to believe I think seeing the difference in their experiences would push her towards medical care.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

Having just had my first C-section that calculated was really interesting.

I will say I don't expect Joy to be as risky as Jill, they saw how that worked out. 

I also don't think Jill is done, the 2 is for quitters comment would have been to horrible if she can't have more.

• Upvote 14

@allthegoodnamesrgone...

I'm still not convinced Gideon was breech, I think he was just too big for Joy to deliver vaginally. I think this time, she will get prenatal care from Kendra's doctor and will have a much smaller baby, under 9 lbs. 

Im not sure if she’ll use that same Dr., maybe. But I do agree with the thought that GMF was just too big and it had nothing to do with his position.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I don't think she'd have been that big. It's just over the 50th percentile. 

I had a 36 weeker weight in at 6 lb 12 and that was 90th percentile and I don't even think that trajectory would have gotten us to 9 lbs at full term.

Gideon was really huge and he has had a massive "catch down" ever since.

Half a lb a weekX 4 weeks, equals 2 additional pounds. 8-12 is pretty close to 9 lbs. Back in the day, any baby born over 4500 grams which I think is close to 8-9 was considered LGA ( large for gestational age) and would get additional glucose screenings at birth. I am retired for nearly 5 years, so some things may have changed.

Also, past studies have shown the following: women giving birth to babies over 4500 grams had an increased incidence of developing Type 2 Diabetes later in life and women who had experienced GD, and who had given birth to an LGA infant had children who had a Higher incidence of developing Type 2 Diabetes, and in many cases obesity, later in life. I was surprised that cells are so fragile, but maybe cells in a developing fetus are far more fragile. If you google GD and type 2 diabetes, you’ll find many studies listed.

How is it possible that this baby bonanza is both fun and exciting, and boring and depressing at the same time?

Sometimes I feel like the whole fundie watching thing is like a sociological observation study. [emoji38]

The pregnancies aren’t really exciting for me, but I would say that the second generation becoming parents is fascinating since choices when it comes to family planning, spacing, child raising methods, schooling etc makes their ideology more visible.
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I always laugh when people are shocked at the Duggar baby sizes. I used to think 6/7 lbs was preemie size. My brother was nearly 12 lbs. I was my mom's smallest baby at 9 lbs and some change. No GD, full prenatal care, and that woman had textbook perfect vaginal deliveries. 

Some people just have big ass babies. 

That was me! My largest baby,my youngest,was 10lbs 4oz,my first,was 8lbs 15 oz,and my middle son was 9lbs 7 and 3/4 oz.I never made my due dates,all 3 were vaginal births,and I was tested for GD,and it was negative.All three of mine remained big,too..in the 90th percentile or above.There were people who admired them,were in awe of them,asked what I fed them.And a few who asked me rude questions about their weight,etc.

My husband was a big baby,at 10lb 6 oz.

I had big ass babies.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Half a lb a weekX 4 weeks, equals 2 additional pounds. 8-12 is pretty close to 9 lbs. Back in the day, any baby born over 4500 grams which I think is close to 8-9 was considered LGA ( large for gestational age) and would get additional glucose screenings at birth. I am retired for nearly 5 years, so some things may have changed.

It might be regional too. My son was 9lbs 9oz at birth, born vaginally with no incident. They did not do any additional glucose screenings on him and I did not have GD. He will be 6 in June. 

7 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

It might be regional too. My son was 9lbs 9oz at birth, born vaginally with no incident. They did not do any additional glucose screenings on him and I did not have GD. He will be 6 in June. 

Insurance being what it is in the US, maybe additional screenings are now only done if the baby is symptomatic?  Which I am OK with the more “individualized” care plan. I know in my early NICU career (think 1980), we cookbook treated most disease processes, in order to catch and treat every little thing, instead of waiting and watching for signs/ symptoms of a problem. Outcomes really did not change much. Sometimes doing less is better, IMO.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

GD does have a genetic component. My mom had it with me and then I had it with my pregnancies. And it's not JUST about the baby's weight (for the person who posted the baby weight research) Babies born to mothers with GD also (can) have very wide shoulders. This is one of the reasons that GD mothers need C-sections. They simply cannot push the shoulders through. But, as my ob informed me, if the mother controls the GD and the weight of the baby, then the shoulders are less likely to be a problem, too, and therefore a better delivery. Again, it's also about the well being of the mom and the baby. GD can have lots of complications outside of a heavy baby with big shoulders and a C-section. And it's so easy to deal with if the mother gets regular, real, medical care. 

21 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Yes, it's very strongly genetic. (Side note I was asked to be followed in a study because there isn't a lot of research done about women whose mothers had GD). The other thing is that if your GD is bad enough to require insulin, the current standard is to induce/deliver at no later than 38 weeks, but typically somewhere in the 37-38 week range. This is because the placenta begins to degrade and fail in diabetic mothers and can be witnessed by a rapid drop off in blood glucose counts after about 34/35 weeks. So you're eating the same food, taking the same insulin but suddenly you have very low numbers and even hypo states. Time to deliver ASAP. This is why it's so dangerous for them to not be closely monitored if there is even a whiff of GD.

My son was born at 38+6 and was 9 lb 4 oz. I did not require insulin with him.

My daughter was born at 36 weeks even and was 6 lb 12 oz. I needed insulin already at 16 weeks. My placenta had started to fail with her and after suffering hypos for 3-4 days, the MFM, high risk OB and endocrinologist were not willing to wait.

As a side note I gained relatively little weight during my pregnancies, 23 lbs with my son and 21 with my daughter.

Wanted to add: the wide shoulders can also lead to problems for the baby as it often is in an unnatural position at on point in the uterus and can’t move very well. Another threat with GB is that the baby starts to produce its own insulin to deal the the blood sugar of the mother. As soon as the cord is clipped the blood sugar rushes down and they can fall into a hypoglycaemic shock. 

You can develop a GB later in your pregnancy even if you passed the test (around 20 weeks iirc). That is why it is important to have regular check ups with your doctor or midwife.

In my country you will not necessarily have to be induced early or have a c-section. But they won’t let you go passed your due date for long either. It all depends on how mother and baby are doing and if you needed insulin or not. Some hospitals won’t take you initially when you register but refer you to a level 1 hospital. Obviously they won’t throw you out if you turn up quite far along  

Not all GB babies are big. My daughter was actually really thin 52cm/2710g (20.4inch/5.9pounds). I was 4 days past my due date when my water broke. But I was checked once a month and could control it with nutrition. I am sure that’s why I only gained just under 20lbs.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Wanted to add: the wide shoulders can also lead to problems for the baby as it often is in an unnatural position at on point in the uterus and can’t move very well. Another threat with GB is that the baby starts to produce its own insulin to deal the the blood sugar of the mother. As soon as the cord is clipped the blood sugar rushes down and they can fall into a hypoglycaemic shock. 

You can develop a GB later in your pregnancy even if you passed the test (around 20 weeks iirc). That is why it is important to have regular check ups with your doctor or midwife.

In my country you will not necessarily have to be induced early or have a c-section. But they won’t let you go passed your due date for long either. It all depends on how mother and baby are doing and if you needed insulin or not. Some hospitals won’t take you initially when you register but refer you to a level 1 hospital. Obviously they won’t throw you out if you turn up quite far along  

Not all GB babies are big. My daughter was actually really thin 52cm/2710g (20.4inch/5.9pounds). I was 4 days past my due date when my water broke. But I was checked once a month and could control it with nutrition. I am sure that’s why I only gained just under 20lbs.

Absolutely true. In my unit these babies were treated as IDM ( infant of a diabetic mother. Most would present LGA ( large babies like the Duggars produce), All face, cheeks and rolls, and jittery d/t hypoglycemia. And they were terrible eaters, which bought most of them IVs to maintain glucose within normal limits. And most of them were born at around the 36 week mark, but as large or larger than most non-IDM term babies. Many also had low tone, hence the poor eating.

• Upvote 2

It will be interesting to "see" or maybe guess and piece together what really happens, this time around with Joy's pregnancy. Gideon was a huge baby, I wonder if she will do like Jessa and try for a smaller baby this time around. Or go to a doctor and be like Jinger. It would be smart, which means that Joy probably will not do it. 

• Upvote 9

I think Gideon may have been too big to deliver and even if he was breech his size meant that their was little chance of him turning during labour. Joy did go to hospital before Jill did with Izzy and seemed to recover quicker. We still don't know what happened with Samuel, I just hope that if they have been told not to have more children due to the risk, for both mother and baby that they both listen and don't get pregnant again. I suspect that if they can have another then they will have one more, in the hope it's a girl.

• Upvote 2

I think of all the guys involved, Derick and Jeremy are most interested in being “headships” and curiously enough, also the families that seem to be distancing themselves most from the Duggar life style. I would not be surprised to hear that these 2 men have told their wives exactly what they think of JB/M and all their odd ass rules (clothing, music, books, dancing, education). The Duggar boys seem “simple”, in terms of just rolling down the road without critical thought or the want of making any real decision. Plus Josh just did whatever the hell he wanted. Austin and Joy seem more yoked to his family and are doing their own thing. The Seewalds are in an interesting situation. I think Ben’s initial age and Jessa’s personality really factor in to who they have become. Ben was very connected to the Duggars because they supplied him a home and work. They basically became his guardians. I think Jessa is steering that ship. At the present moment, It works for them. 

I just keep waiting for one of these women to have the laundry room breakdown. Will a fairy appear?

• Upvote 11

14 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I just keep waiting for one of these women to have the laundry room breakdown. Will a fairy appear?

Possibly a Jana fairy. I don't see Michelle moving in and helping with laundry/childcare.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

On 5/1/2019 at 3:26 PM, VBOY9977 said:

I disagree. Joy seemed to be a really sweet mom to Gideon, she looks happy as a mom. Plus she also said that she really wanted to be pregnant again on the last season finally so she clearly is interested in kids. 

As for their marriage, I don’t think we can tell much from what we see

what I worry about with Joy and Austin is their flipping bushiness they move into a house flip it and then sell and then have to move back into the RV or maybe with the Duggar's honestly think they have been staying there recently. remember right after JOy had Giddy Austin wanted to sell the house ASAP and joy wanted more time. I can see the constent move getting to joy. 

since no one actually posted the announcement pics for Joy and Austin here they are. 

• Thank You 4

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I’ve had plenty of laundry room breakdowns, and i’ve never once had a fairy appear. Am i doing something wrong? Because a laundry fairy sounds AMAZING. ?‍♀️ ?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, FrozenSmile said:

I’ve had plenty of laundry room breakdowns, and i’ve never once had a fairy appear. Am i doing something wrong? Because a laundry fairy sounds AMAZING. ?‍♀️ ?

I don't know if you're joking or if you just don't know the story behind this. when Michelle had I believe 5 or 6 children she once had a break down well doing Laundry she was just to over whelmed a woman they knew came and helped by doing the laundry for them. I also believe she taught the kids Piano. it was in one of their books. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I don't know if you're joking or if you just don't know the story behind this. when Michelle had I believe 5 or 6 children she once had a break down well doing Laundry she was just to over whelmed a woman they knew came and helped by doing the laundry for them. I also believe she taught the kids Piano. it was in one of their books. 

Lol, i was joking ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, FrozenSmile said:

As soon as I get my stomach minimizing black skirt, you’ll get your laundry room fairy. I pinkie square promise.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Are you my sister?  She also had GD with my niece who weighed 5 lb 9 oz at birth (a couple weeks early.)  she controlled it with diet. Didn't gain any weight the last trimester (13 pounds total.) 

@SassyPants is the risk still greater for my niece to develop type 2 diabetes than non GB babies?

7 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Are you my sister?  She also had GD with my niece who weighed 5 lb 9 oz at birth (a couple weeks early.)  she controlled it with diet. Didn't gain any weight the last trimester (13 pounds total.) 

@SassyPants is the risk still greater for my niece to develop type 2 diabetes than non GB babies?

Yes,I think so, because it’s the exposure to the higher sugar levels during development that puts them at risk. I think if your sister’s GD was well controlled and she didn’t meet the criteria for medications, your niece’s risk factor would decrease.

• Thank You 2

There are all sorts of mitigating factors.

The odds are pretty high that women with GD will develop Type 2 diabetes. New studies show that this can be mitigated fairly significantly by the woman losing all the pregnancy weight quickly (and staying within normal BMI). The odds are also lower for women whose a1c was quite low 3 months post-delivery. In other words, if you bounce back to very low/normal rates (in the 4s) your odds go down a lot. If you are on the high side of normal or pre-diabetic 3 months post-partum you're almost guaranteed to develop Type 2 diabetes.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

At this point most Duggar pregnancies are going to be pretty unsurprising. Out of all of them I’m curious to see when Jill will announce. I feel like it’s been a while for her, she has seemed to be in kind of a funk, started wearing pants and got a nose ring, just built a house that doesn’t have the capacity for a ton of kids, doesn’t seem to hang at the TTH as much as, say, Jessa... I’m just wondering if their quiver plans have changed in any way. 

I’m also quite interested in when Jinger will have #2.

8 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

I also don't think Jill is done, the 2 is for quitters comment would have been to horrible if she can't have more.

It was a comment from Derick though. And he is both a horrible person and has a bad case of the post-before-thinking. 

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I’m a bit confused with this post. Is this about achieving a successful V-bac or are the %s referring to morbidity with a v-bac vs having a c-section? Also, the line, “trial of labor” is confusing. I guess I should read the study.  

It’s the chance of a successful VBAC. Trial of labor after cesarean (TOLAC) is just what it’s called when you’re trying to have a VBAC. (Then once you succeed it’s called a VBAC). 

The bit about morbidity only comes into play because people with a predicted success of greater than 60% are about equal in risk of complications as people who plan a repeat cesarean. 

The most dangerous outcome is a cesarean in the middle of labor and the safest outcome is a vaginal delivery. But when you opt for a trial of labor you don’t know which outcome you will get, so the 60% is used as a counseling point since below that it might be worth guaranteeing yourself the middle of the road safe option (a planned repeat cesarean). 

If Joy was not breech but instead had an arrest or stalled labor her success score goes down to about 65%. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I’m also quite interested in when Jinger will have #2.

It was a comment from Derick though. And he is both a horrible person and has a bad case of the post-before-thinking. 

I’m most curious about Jill and Jinger too. Mostly because I think Jeremy is absolutely the boss in that family and I don’t think HE wants a ton of kids, so whether they have them closely spaced or not, I don’t think Jinger will be the baby-making machine that Anna has become.

When did Derrick make the comment? It’s possible that a future pregnancy would be dangerous for Jill but they didn’t know that until a post-natal visit when they had a better idea of how she’d healed from the c-section. Of course, this is all speculation and it’s equally likely that Jill will announce tomorrow and try for a VBA2C.

• Upvote 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic