IGNORED

Joy and Austin 26: Please Wear the Appropriate Footgear Around Horses

samurai_sarah

I'm too old for this, but does anyone have a link to the Harry Potter test?

• Upvote 4

The idea that someone has debunked a method of thinking about yourself and how you relate to the world and others in it is not an idea i can personally find logic in. 

But as to INTPs in general, I would like to know how many of you took the full MBTI and how many took a 70ish question one, like the Kinsey temperament sorter that launched online interest in it. This is not at all to imply the shorter ones are lesser. In fact, I think it's possible to make a case for them being all anyone needs in order to start thinking more about how we all perceive each other and our environments.

And I suspect anyone who does fit within that general personality pattern would agree that usage for manipulating office dynamics would not be wholly sound, and certainly not at all scientific. At the same time, stirring your own mind toward acknowledging your own strengths and weaknesses, and recognizing that they differ in others is conceptually not a concrete path for others to "debunk." That would indicate a rigid thought process; a kind of missing the trees for the forest, along with the need to see something as an end point rather than a jumping off one. 

Edited by backyard sylph
clarity, always clarity
  • Upvote 6

I'm an ISFJ. I don't remember what that all means, but I am most definitely an introvert so it was not a surprise result. I took the 16 personalities test (which is Meyers Briggs, right?) last year since my friends is in grad school to become a psychologist and they did a unit on them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, backyard sylph said:

The idea that someone has debunked a method of thinking about yourself and how you relate to the world and others in it is not an idea i can personally find logic in. 

Because it's a self reporting test, meaning that it can be easily manipulated. It's like any standard test some of the population are not going to fit into either category perfectly, which means that there are fallacies. People are going to choose answers that make them look better or they are going to use their own biases about themselves to push themselves into the category that they think they belong to. 

The average person is not going to take the test seriously, I know that I didn't. I don't like personality tests, so me and my friend deliberately filled it out completely wrong.  

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Honestly I always have too. I think any of those personality tests are quackery. The most frustrating thing about all the LGBT groups I'm in on facebook is that every single lesbian seems devoutly into astrology. ANd I just can't do it. I can get past a lot of things but not astrology and Myers-Briggs is basically astrology for "scientists" to me.

Ooh, lesbian here who isn't into astrology! I've noticed the same thing and it can be annoying.

All the personality tests are fine if you don't take them too seriously, but so many people do.

• Upvote 9

INTJ/Slytherin/Enneagram 5 (Investigator) 

...chaotic neutral...

I got more! 

But everyone seems to be like "boo, personality tests" so I'll stop now.  Unless someone wants to start a new thread and we can be weird together.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, BlondeIdol said:

I took the Myers-Briggs twice in college. I got INTJ both times and I’ve been told the same thing!

INTJ and ENTJ are both the rarest female results, I did read somewhere that they are both 0.9% of the female population! I do like to be special ?

Just wanted to add that I did the test for fun, it amuses me, no one can be classified so easily. On the other hand... the STP book character got me stop on lol     

Edited by IsmeWeatherwax
  • Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

I think Myers-Briggs and similar tests can be kind of fun, and they can be accurate on some points, but I don’t put a ton of stock in them. INTJ is right for me in some ways (I’m analytical, value intelligence, love to learn and read, I’m private about certain things, sometimes over confident, and I have a fitting job for INTJs as an attorney) but not in others (I greatly value my relationships, family is more important than my career,  good at empathizing with people). These tests can be a good jumping off point if people answer them honestly, but aren’t going to always be accurate. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Of course it would only apply to those tested, but clearly many, many, many,,many people have been tested.

Unless the people tested were selected in a randomized, scientific manner, the results still wouldn't be conclusive.  Interestingly, Meyers Briggs has never been scientifically vetted, meaning that there have been no published peer-reviewed studies. Despite it's ubiquitousness, it remains in the realm of pop psychology. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-leadership/myers-briggs-does-it-pay-to-know-your-type/2012/12/14/eaed51ae-3fcc-11e2-bca3-aadc9b7e29c5_story.html?utm_term=.9c5bdd8a1ae1

Open link in incognito browser to avoid paywall.

• Upvote 5

I found an article once that the E vs I in a Meyers Briggs actually correlate to testable personality traits but the rest don't.

I'm abroad for work but I'll try to remember to seek it out when I'm back!

• Upvote 2

From what I read, extroversion and introversion are key personality traits. But I know that I don't fit neatly in any of sixteen boxes and I can't believe all of humankind does either. These tests ask questions that are highly dependent on cultural context and may provide for more accuracy when the test takers are similar to the test makers. What can I say, I'm just a skeptic. Human beings are extremely complex and it is comforting to try and reduce this complexity, but that comes with the risk of oversimplification.  These kinds of things are for having fun with, as far as I'm concerned, but like I always say, to each their own.

• Upvote 11

Hufflepuff here but I do think I have a bit of Slytherin in me just don't put in Gryffindor I would cry around all the crazy energy 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

INTJ/Slytherin/Enneagram 5 (Investigator) 

...chaotic neutral...

I got more! 

But everyone seems to be like "boo, personality tests" so I'll stop now.  Unless someone wants to start a new thread and we can be weird together.

If someone starts one I'll be weird there.  I find that stuff interesting.

• Upvote 5

I’ve taken the full Myers-Briggs twice for work and had the test scores by a trained/certified person. My results were the same both times (nearly 50/50 Introvert/Extrovert then NTP) plus I’ve done the enneagram and Strengths Finders tests. I’ve never seen them used to “manipulate office workers” as someone stated earlier. And I can’t even think how these tests would contribute to nefarious actions. People who are manipulative are, unfortunately, already skilled at reading people and looking for traits that allow for manipulation. I do find these tests highly useful to understand the people I am working with better, to understand issues that we were having as a heavily laden introverted staff and used as way to be more aware in how I work and respond to people. 

I don’t think these tests are hard and fast, people are certainly fluid, but they do give us a general understanding of who we are and who others are. Just MHO

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I did Meyers-Briggs and Enneagram. Both were administered by a psychiatrist during my evaluation/diagnosis process. I'm very much an introvert and my Enneagram was an 8, the challenger. It was totally a no-shit moment for me...they were very accurate in describing me so...for what it's worth...

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Another INTJ Ravenclaw here. Also Blue in that test the name of which escapes me. I had an interesting experience with that one; a specific group of people (music professionals/students of different flavours) took the test and we had a session where we grouped into the four corners of the room according to our results - and it was just SO predictable how that played out! I was the only non-male, non-composer in there Blue corner... 

• Upvote 5

Hufflepuff through and through. I did the test half screened and never saw the questions, just assumed it was asking for which I preferred. I had to accept it after that, such a hufflepuff thing to do.

• Upvote 4

I admit I'm a definite Ravenclaw and I put a good deal more stock in my hogwarts house then any of that astrology crap XD Which is suppose is kind of ironic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Because it's a self reporting test, meaning that it can be easily manipulated. It's like any standard test some of the population are not going to fit into either category perfectly, which means that there are fallacies. People are going to choose answers that make them look better or they are going to use their own biases about themselves to push themselves into the category that they think they belong to. 

The average person is not going to take the test seriously, I know that I didn't. I don't like personality tests, so me and my friend deliberately filled it out completely wrong.  

Then it was not interesting for you to explore in depth. For others, it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1

12 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I think Myers-Briggs and similar tests can be kind of fun, and they can be accurate on some points, but I don’t put a ton of stock in them. INTJ is right for me in some ways (I’m analytical, value intelligence, love to learn and read, I’m private about certain things, sometimes over confident, and I have a fitting job for INTJs as an attorney) but not in others (I greatly value my relationships, family is more important than my career,  good at empathizing with people). These tests can be a good jumping off point if people answer them honestly, but aren’t going to always be accurate. 

I think of these tests a lot like astrology. There's a lot there that you can make fit yourself and you can use it to search out good or bad traits. I like that you said it's a jumping off point. I really think these tests are only useful if they get people to try to honestly think about themselves and who they are.

• Upvote 2

ESFJ and Gryffindor 
My element is water

With the Zodiac I am a Pisces (moon)  / leo (sun)

Somehow it all fits together ?

Also does anyone else wish there was a situational button on things like Meyers Briggs ?

• Upvote 1

Definite definite Ravenclaw here. 

Myers-Brigg is very american, I've never seen it mentioned outside of an american context, which is intriguing, because the way we think about personality/what is normal is very culturally bound as well. I think I remember something about there being five major personality axes, of which introversion-extroversion is one (can't remember the others).

We did the enneagram in religion class at secondary school (a catholic school. The Catholics seem really into it, I'm not sure why. I can't remember what mine was, but I do remember finding it a strange topic for any class at school, let alone a religion one (the teachers seemed to have a lot of leeway with what they taught in religion class, one year we had comparative religion, one year bible stories, and the best one was pure philosophy with a brilliant teacher, The worst was just hearing about the implosion of the teacher's marriage. Hearing all about his husband's wrongdoings was not enjoyable,)

17 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Ooh, lesbian here who isn't into astrology! I've noticed the same thing and it can be annoying.

Another lesbian here who is not into astrology, in the slightest. Astronomy on the other hand...

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic