IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7: Part 2 - Who cares, even TLC stopped counting

Buzzard

22 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

It's generally an old name for a Christian College or University. The Bible College movement of the early 20th Century created many of these. Some have closed recently. Others are thriving and are very much like secular schools only with nightly Bible study, more rules and no R rated movies! But most are "normal" otherwise--you can date, there's no curfew etc. Students must sign and live by a statement of faith at most, but not at all. I work for one such school.

I think we can safely say that there's a difference between the Christian College/University type Bible College and how Joy may be using the term.

Crown College of the Bible where the Bates kids go, and where Joe went for a semester/year, is a real Bible College like the type @IReallyAmHopewell described above, since it offers some real accredited degrees, regardless of how we might feel about it. Similarly, Ben is enrolled at (or has recently been enrolled at) Moody Bible Institute, which is also full accredited. Additionally, The Master's Seminary, where Jeremy is taking courses, is also regionally accredited.

On the other hand, Faith Bible Institute (which is what Joy appears to be enrolled in) is NOT a real school that can offer degrees, it's more of a "continuing education" study program that allows people to take courses to "further their understanding/education of the Bible", but not for any kind of credit that would be recognized outside of their circle. 

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I got the impression that Jessa felt she was really unprepared for how hard her first labour was and she didn't want Joy to be that unprepared herself. We only saw like thirty seconds of an edited conversation between them, so we have no idea what else, if anything, Jessa said to her about labour and delivery.

Yeah I kind of have mixed feelings about what Jessa said. I'm a very straightforward, tell-it-like-it-is type of person & I appreciate when people are the same with me. Honestly, I'd rather expect the worst & prepare for that & then have it go smoother than I was expecting (that's what happened with my hysterectomy). But I know everyone is different & I also know that it's probably hard to hear that kind of stuff when you are pregnant & hormonal & scared because you are about to go through the worst pain of your life. 

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

On the other hand, Faith Bible Institute (which is what Joy appears to be enrolled in) is NOT a real school that can offer degrees, it's more of a "continuing education" study program that allows people to take courses to "further their understanding/education of the Bible", but not for any kind of credit that would be recognized outside of their circle. 

I'm pretty sure you can learn more on FJ than any "course" FBI provides.  We should offer degrees!

On 8/29/2018 at 4:10 PM, singsingsing said:

It was! There was actually a preview that aired for that 'lost' season before the scandals hit, and it was going to feature Jill and Derick telling the family that they were moving to Central America to be missionaries, Joe going away to college, and Josiah starting to court Marjorie, among other things that I can't remember.

Oh dear! The cringe-inducing Marjorie-as-Glee-character video! UGH. Her screen test for the role of "Josiah's possibly courtship interest." So over-acted and over-eager. I bet she's hellishly happy now though--lucky, lucky girl! She got to break off the deal!

19 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

Yeah I kind of have mixed feelings about what Jessa said. I'm a very straightforward, tell-it-like-it-is type of person & I appreciate when people are the same with me. Honestly, I'd rather expect the worst & prepare for that & then have it go smoother than I was expecting (that's what happened with my hysterectomy). But I know everyone is different & I also know that it's probably hard to hear that kind of stuff when you are pregnant & hormonal & scared because you are about to go through the worst pain of your life. 

I was definitely prepared for the worst. And had read too much about what could go wrong before, during, and after birth. The only thing I wished from my delivery was that me and the baby would survive. So despite the fact it took so long and that part where I was in so much pain I thought I’d die I was pretty happy with my experience. I’d rather do the 53 hour labour again then the nine months pregnancy.

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I'm pretty sure you can learn more on FJ than any "course" FBI provides.  We should offer degrees!

In only the last half hour I have learned how to spell definitely and that there is a difference in the pronunciation between Lizzy and Lissy, and also why that is. ?

1 minute ago, Iamtheway said:

In only the last half hour I have learned how to spell definitely and that there is a difference in the pronunciation between Lizzy and Lissy, and also why that is. 

Imagine what you could learn full time for 4 years!

I guess I am the type of person who would rather be hit with the truth than lulled by a lie. Jessa told the truth, the truth isn't always pretty or nice. 

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

She was also being honest with her sister, and she should be because birth isn't all sunshine and roses, it is risky business, women and babies die in the birthing process. IMO all 1st times moms need someone to really prepare them for the realities of childbirth and motherhood, because often times you only see the "pretty side" of what people want you to see, and that is where things go wrong when they aren't all sunshine and roses. Jessa wasn't saying it to be a bitch she was preparing her, as she said you don't know until you know, and you can't fathom what the pain of labor is like until you experience it, just know to be prepared and know you will get through it, and Jessa said that as well. I thought it was a thoughtful conversation between siblings/friends.

I really liked that conversation as well.  Jessa was honest, and I don't think in a mean way.  She was saying that yes, it was agony and nothing helped, but I did it and you can too.  At least that's how it seemed to me.

Mr. Presby was watching that part with me and when Joy said she wanted a home birth because she thought it would be "more relaxing" we both laughed!  Childbirth isn't even remotely "relaxing" no matter where it happens.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:53 PM, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I'm in love with the fact that Lauren's little sister wants to be a speech path! SLPs do such important work, on the developmental level, but also rehabilitative therapy and cognitive learning for adults. Even if she doesn't go all the way to a Master's, SLP assistants are important too and she has plenty of time to pursue the Bachelor's in speech path/communication disorders to get there. 

I thought it was funny how Lauren attempted to defer when the producer asked if Josiah was the reason she quit school. It's true, she may not like school and that may be her reason for not pursuing a BSN....but that totally doesn't correlate with her wanting to be a practicing nurse. Which she didn't say, anyways....she stuttered a "I don't see myself becoming a nurse anymore".....*i wonder why*. With her pre-nursing associate's degree she could easily pursue an RN or LVN license....if she didn't, you know, have a fundie husband.

Having that nursing background could be useful with their kids and taking care of them when they’re sick. Considering how much I worried about my cats as a new cat sister years ago (the cat sneezed!! Is he sick?!) I can definitely see myself being one of those first time parents worrying over everything. She’d be equipped to recognize if the baby has a cold or something.

On 8/29/2018 at 5:40 PM, Markie said:

Josiah said Math was his favourite subject and he was doing some accounting classes with College Plus. Whatever happened to that?  They were shilling it pretty strongly before Joshgate. I bet he slacked off on his online courses and would’ve benefitted from the structure of a bricks and motor school. 

Good for Lauren for persevering and getting her 2year diploma. Hope Lily does continue her studies. She seems like a nice girl. 

This clip was my favourite of Josiah. Sweet that the girls could show them their college and he was able to meet their history prof. 

Maybe they were paid to promote it and lost the sponsorship? Who knows

On 8/29/2018 at 6:55 PM, metheglyn said:

Over 55,000 Christians in over 1,350 churches across the US & on 7 continents have enrolled in FBI’s 3 year study.

7 continents??? Penguins are studying at the FBI?? Impressive!! They should promote their cross-species education!

Those sinful  dancing Penguins need missionaries. All that flipper jiveing  is causing desires that cannot righteously fulfilled and the Dad Penguins are actually caring for the nest and mom is leaving her home to get food. 

Are there penguin missionaries? I really hope so. They’d be so much more successful than human missionaries. Imagine if you’re walking along and you see a penguin mega family handing out tracts. With a bunch of little fluffy baby penguins.

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Those sinful  dancing Penguins need missionaries. All that flipper jiveing  is causing desires that cannot righteously fulfilled and the Dad Penguins are actually caring for the nest and mom is leaving her home to get food. 

But some baby penguins have two dads! So THAT is why there's a campus in (on?) Antarctica - to convert the heathen gay penguins. 

7 hours ago, metheglyn said:

I think we can safely say that there's a difference between the Christian College/University type Bible College and how Joy may be using the term.

Crown College of the Bible where the Bates kids go, and where Joe went for a semester/year, is a real Bible College like the type @IReallyAmHopewell described above, since it offers some real accredited degrees, regardless of how we might feel about it. Similarly, Ben is enrolled at (or has recently been enrolled at) Moody Bible Institute, which is also full accredited. Additionally, The Master's Seminary, where Jeremy is taking courses, is also regionally accredited.

Actually there's a bit more to this. 

A "Bible College" can be accredited or not accredited. They can potentially offer 2 or 4 year degrees like any other liberal arts college. The main distinction is that instead of taking "liberal arts" courses (like a foreign language and an art course regardless of major) you take bible courses. The foundation of the entire program is the Bible and studens will progressively study it more in depth as the progress through the program. 

A "Christian College" is a school that may or may not be tied to a certain denomination and offers degrees. They will usually mandate some sort of church or chapel attendance, often on campus, but students aren't required to take Bible courses every year. Christian colleges are more like their liberal arts counterparts, but with stricter codes of conducts and mandatory church attendance. 

Bible college= everything ties back to the Bible

Christian college= college with a Christian worldview

20 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

My friend just arrived in Antarctica for work, I'll have to ask her about penguin missionaries. 

I’d love to go to Antarctica. It’s definitely on my bucket list. 

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I guess I am the type of person who would rather be hit with the truth than lulled by a lie. Jessa told the truth, the truth isn't always pretty or nice. 

I thought Jessa was being very real. I'm glad she was so upfront and honest with Joy. I doubt Michelle would have been. Or even Jill.

Re: Lauren not wanting to continue to get her BA or become a nurse

There are many many many people who go to college and decide to major in something they think they are really interested in, only to discover they actually have no desire whatsoever to actually do the jobs that major would qualify them for.  Myself included.  My prediction without any knowledge of her or her situation is that as a 16 year old she was tasked with choosing a major and she thought something along the lines of "I like science and helping people.  I think I'll major in nursing."  To her credit, she followed through.  She may have said she doesn't see herself going into nursing anymore because she was socialized to keep sweet and couldn't/wouldn't actually say something like "actually it turns out I hated the program I chose."  

In regards to her current reality and actual life prospects, I hope that this is the life she wants and she is happy with it.  I also truly hope her sister gets to pursue her dreams of education and her personal goals without having to compromise one for the other.

17 minutes ago, emscm said:

Re: Lauren not wanting to continue to get her BA or become a nurse

There are many many many people who go to college and decide to major in something they think they are really interested in, only to discover they actually have no desire whatsoever to actually do the jobs that major would qualify them for.  Myself included.  My prediction without any knowledge of her or her situation is that as a 16 year old she was tasked with choosing a major and she thought something along the lines of "I like science and helping people.  I think I'll major in nursing."  To her credit, she followed through.  She may have said she doesn't see herself going into nursing anymore because she was socialized to keep sweet and couldn't/wouldn't actually say something like "actually it turns out I hated the program I chose."  

In regards to her current reality and actual life prospects, I hope that this is the life she wants and she is happy with it.  I also truly hope her sister gets to pursue her dreams of education and her personal goals without having to compromise one for the other.

So true. And as a purely practical matter - even if she doesn’t like it - you can’t beat nursing for a two-year degree offering high paying, secure, in-demand employment. If one of the three D’s happens with Josiah ( death , divorce, disability ) - she could go back to update her education and provide a good life for her family if needed. 

I thought she  was pretty straightforward. She said she always thought she’d become a nurse, but then she really didn’t enjoy school. She said that more than once, I think. 

6 minutes ago, Ilovebrownies said:

She doesn’t want to be a nurse because she didn’t like school?  But she said she has her degree so school is done.

No, she did dual enrollment which got her a high school diploma and an AA (with a bent toward nursing?). 

On 8/30/2018 at 11:19 PM, Elvis Presby said:

Mr. Presby was watching that part with me and when Joy said she wanted a home birth because she thought it would be "more relaxing" we both laughed!  Childbirth isn't even remotely "relaxing" no matter where it happens.

I know that everyone's different, but I would NOT be able to relax if I gave birth at home. What if something goes wrong, oh my god I'm shitting and bleeding all over my linens, the shit and blood is going to get into the carpet, oh god oh god I'm going to die and then no one will wash the sheets or steam clean the carpet...

23 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

So true. And as a purely practical matter - even if she doesn’t like it - you can’t beat nursing for a two-year degree offering high paying, secure, in-demand employment. If one of the three D’s happens with Josiah ( death , divorce, disability ) - she could go back to update her education and provide a good life for her family if needed. 

Only if she maintains CEUs and keeps her license active! 

4 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Only if she maintains CEUs and keeps her license active! 

Yea, I assumed she’d need to go back for more updated training and licensing, but she’d definitely have a good head start! 

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived