IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7: Part 2 - Who cares, even TLC stopped counting

Buzzard

Just now, BunnyBee said:

Would commercial property be listed the same as residential property? 

Is there a way to narrow down that 294 by commercial vs residential @metheglyn

Maybe. It depends on how you define that. You can sort between "Real Estate" and "Personal," but what counts as what is messy. Also, many of the parcels are actually sub-plots of bigger properties, so that adds to the messiness.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, metheglyn said:

Maybe. It depends on how you define that. You can sort between "Real Estate" and "Personal," but what counts as what is messy. Also, many of the parcels are actually sub-plots of bigger properties, so that adds to the messiness.

I just really want to see like good real estate pictures of the house and I am interested in the history of the place, church? winery? How much did they buy it for? Who lives in NW Arkansas that can afford to buy an estate like that off Jim Bob? Are they making it into a B&B for Jana to run? OH the speculation

Those also won't show anything purchased in 2018, correct? Because it's property tax records, which are a year in arrears, if I recall correctly.

Just now, SapphireSlytherin said:

Those also won't show anything purchased in 2018, correct? Because it's property tax records, which are a year in arrears, if I recall correctly.

No, I didn't see anything from 2018, just 2017. Washington County doesn't make its Assessor data publicly available, only its tax collector data, so yes, it's a year behind. It did sound like they'd had the property shown in the episode for a while, so theoretically it should be in there somewhere, but I didn't see anything that would match it in records to this point.

Given the automatic sliding doors with the sign that says "No alcohol behind this point" I'm definitely interested in what this property was before it was purchased by the Duggars. It seems like such a strange property for Josiah & Lauren to move into, and I agree with them, I'd get lost in that house immediately and it would seem so odd and empty to be rattling around in it! How do you make something like that homey when it's just the two (or even just three) of you? If the whole Duggar clan moved in that would be one thing, but as a starter home??

4 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

I just really want to see like good real estate pictures of the house and I am interested in the history of the place, church? winery? How much did they buy it for? Who lives in NW Arkansas that can afford to buy an estate like that off Jim Bob? Are they making it into a B&B for Jana to run? OH the speculation

There are a lot of rich people in NW Arkansas. Walmart is headquartered there, so its executives and early investors live there. Walmart has a policy of making their suppliers have offices near the headquarters, so there are lots of other executives located there too. Plus other companies like Tyson Foods. The real estate is more affordable than in metropolitan areas, so it’s a fun place to window-shop online for houses.

2 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

How do you make something like that homey

I've been pondering this, as well. Perhaps they'll close off a good portion of it, and just use 5-6 rooms for now? If it's a commercial property it makes me wonder what the bathrooms are like. lol

4 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

No, I didn't see anything from 2018, just 2017. Washington County doesn't make its Assessor data publicly available, only its tax collector data, so yes, it's a year behind. It did sound like they'd had the property shown in the episode for a while, so theoretically it should be in there somewhere, but I didn't see anything that would match it in records to this point.

Given the automatic sliding doors with the sign that says "No alcohol behind this point" I'm definitely interested in what this property was before it was purchased by the Duggars. It seems like such a strange property for Josiah & Lauren to move into, and I agree with them, I'd get lost in that house immediately and it would seem so odd and empty to be rattling around in it! How do you make something like that homey when it's just the two (or even just three) of you? If the whole Duggar clan moved in that would be one thing, but as a starter home??

Also, why make it a part of the plot line (other than to address internet questions of where are they going to live? Hi TLC) without including any background to an incredibly peculiar building besides JB saying "we bought this house a couple years back and were redoing it" that tells me nothing.

Why is it 9,000 sqft, why does it have an elevator or automatic doors??? 

1 minute ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There are a lot of rich people in NW Arkansas. Walmart is headquartered there, so its executives and early investors live there. Walmart has a policy of making their suppliers have offices near the headquarters, so there are lots of other executives located there too. Plus other companies like Tyson Foods. The real estate is more affordable than in metropolitan areas, so it’s a fun place to window-shop online for houses.

FJ makes me a smarter person everyday! I had no idea wally world HQ was there.

14 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

Who lives in NW Arkansas that can afford to buy an estate like that off Jim Bob?

There are a LOT of well-off people in Arkansas. Not everyone is poor/dirty/barefoot/toothless and lives in a shack/hut. There IS indoor plumbing AND electricity. There's even this new-fangled thing called the Internet.

Here's a list of the biggest employers in NWA. You might recognize some of the company names: 

Benton County

Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

J.B. Hunt Transports Services Inc.

Rogers School District

Mercy Health System of Northwest Arkansas

Bentonville School District

Simmons Foods Inc.

McKee Foods Corp.

Arvest Bank Group

Tyson Foods Inc.

Ozark Mountain Poultry Inc.

Washington County

Tyson Foods Inc.

University of Arkansas

Springdale School District

Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

PAM Transport Inc.

George’s Inc.

Washington Regional Medical Center

Fayetteville School District

U.S. Veterans Medical Center

Cargill Inc.

Source: Arkansas Economic Development Commission

Just now, SapphireSlytherin said:

There are a LOT of well-off people in Arkansas. Not everyone is poor/dirty/barefoot/toothless and lives in a shack/hut. There IS indoor plumbing AND electricity. There's even this new-fangled thing called the Internet.

I am from Texas, I get the stereotype and I know all of those things  :pb_lol: But I was asking more about the draw to the area? Its not like mansion on Malibu beach ya know? Its a mansion in NW Arkansas. But that Walmart HQ being located there makes more sense. 

But I am sorry if I offended you! 

One time in Chicago on a high school trip, someone asked me since I am from Texas did I ride a horse to school. I get it. 

On @SapphireSlytherin's mention of Benton County I just checked and the Duggar collective own a whole whack of properties there too. They may own properties in still other counties as well. They clearly own a fair chunk of NW Arkansas under one name/LLC/org or another. If they're renting a bunch of them out that does say a fair amount about how they're making money in addition to TLC and the cell phone (or whatever it is) tower.

I've found a pic of that "house" on FB on a concrete company's page. Still digging. (It was posted in November 2016)

14 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

On @SapphireSlytherin's mention of Benton County I just checked and the Duggar collective own a whole whack of properties there too. They may own properties in still other counties as well. They clearly own a fair chunk of NW Arkansas under one name/LLC/org or another. If they're renting a bunch of them out that does say a fair amount about how they're making money in addition to TLC and the cell phone (or whatever it is) tower.

I just hope the Duggar kids that have their names on property are paying their own property taxes like real adults:pb_lol: 

I cannot stand how the Duggar et al AR properties all seem to lack paved driveways and walkways. God the muddy cars and shoes would drive me batshite crazy. Put down some crushed gravel, pavers or concrete!!!!

Also It seemed sort of sad when Jessa had Jinger, Joy, and Kendra over and the four of them had nothing to say other than babies, when the babies are due, and what their birth plans are. Would be great if they were encouraged to follow their own individual interests rather than getting shoehorned into the housewife thing. Don’t get me wrong, I am pretty involved in keeping house and being a wife and mother myself, but that was after I went to college a couple of times and got married a couple of times and got to have my own, individualized achievements and failures. I still have a career 2\3 time. If I wanted to go back to full time my husband, and even my rotten sons, would support my decision.  Being a homemaker is great if that’s what you, the individual, really want.

This might be me showing a huge amount of ignorance, as I am a European were the health care field is vastly different. Any input would be welcome!

They use dopplers, which is good (you still have to use them properly, but, still). Why wouldn't a midwife/"midwife" that does home births or wellness checkups have a small, hand held ultrasound? They are portable, works well for the purpose, and you can check for a lot of things, like breech position. You do not have to use them for the fancy stuff. Like this one https://www.lumify.philips.com/web/

It could very well be a question of price vs gain. If you are not interested, do not have anybody to teach you, and you end up paying for something that you do not use, I get it. And that there is a lot of things you might discover that you then have to handle, i.e if you get the suspicion that something is seriously (anatomically) wrong.

It could be a question of liability I guess? That using them without competent supervision and/or certification makes you a tasty treat for being sued?

Ok, I can make a lot of arguments why my thought is not valid. And they have to be interested (...). But I would think there is a place for this technology in the future.

9 hours ago, metheglyn said:

If they own that much property, and are training their kids in property management / repair/ renovation / real estate - they very well may be able to be self sustaining through this entire generation and beyond. Assuming they do what most other businesses try to do- grow and add assets. It would seem with that much property, and commercial ventures - they could add on a few in-house admin, legal, bookkeeping and marketing positions for the family members who just aren’tinclined towards the other jobs.

17 minutes ago, Thorns said:

This might be me showing a huge amount of ignorance, as I am a European were the health care field is vastly different. Any input would be welcome!

They use dopplers, which is good (you still have to use them properly, but, still). Why wouldn't a midwife/"midwife" that does home births or wellness checkups have a small, hand held ultrasound? They are portable, works well for the purpose, and you can check for a lot of things, like breech position. You do not have to use them for the fancy stuff. Like this one https://www.lumify.philips.com/web/

It could very well be a question of price vs gain. If you are not interested, do not have anybody to teach you, and you end up paying for something that you do not use, I get it. And that there is a lot of things you might discover that you then have to handle, i.e if you get the suspicion that something is seriously (anatomically) wrong.

It could be a question of liability I guess? That using them without competent supervision and/or certification makes you a tasty treat for being sued?

Ok, I can make a lot of arguments why my thought is not valid. And they have to be interested (...). But I would think there is a place for this technology in the future.

Woah.....that’s pretty cool looking ! I haven’t heard of those being used in the US, but it looks very recent - anyone pregnant / recently had a baby - did your doctor/ nurse/ tech / midwife use one of these? 

2 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

[...]

Woah.....that’s pretty cool looking ! I haven’t heard of those being used in the US, but it looks very recent - anyone pregnant / recently had a baby - did your doctor/ nurse/ tech / midwife use one of these? 

My midwife only used a doppler for the heartbeat and her hands for the baby‘s position BUT they know that just by touching they might confuse head and butt and if you are reaching the end of your pregnancy and they think it is breech they will advise you to get an ultrasound. Furthermore only very very few people don’t see the doctor for at least every second appointment (so every eight weeks) - a breech baby would not go undetected normally and there is a positioning ultrasound when you go into hospital to check for a last time.

I haven’t heard of midwives using ultrasounds so far and I imagine it is because there are regulations who is allowed to use it and draw conclusions from it. And they would have to have extended training I guess- I mean I don’t notice half as much as my doctor.

My certified nurse midwife mentioned those portable ultrasounds but said cost was the issue. She said one of the doctors (it’s a mix of docs and CNMs in the practice) had purchased one out of pocket and it was really helpful. When my CNM ordered an ultrasound during my pregnancy an ultrasound tech was the one to do it. But like @just_ordinary mentioned, a well trained midwife can tell the position of the baby by feel. That’s what mine did. My last ultrasound was at 20 weeks, so the rest of my checkups just involved listening to the heartbeat and feeling the baby’s position. 

53 minutes ago, mstee said:

My certified nurse midwife mentioned those portable ultrasounds but said cost was the issue. She said one of the doctors (it’s a mix of docs and CNMs in the practice) had purchased one out of pocket and it was really helpful. When my CNM ordered an ultrasound during my pregnancy an ultrasound tech was the one to do it. But like @just_ordinary mentioned, a well trained midwife can tell the position of the baby by feel. That’s what mine did. My last ultrasound was at 20 weeks, so the rest of my checkups just involved listening to the heartbeat and feeling the baby’s position. 

Yea, well I’m the one who had a flipper in labor, at the hospital.  So don’t know if it would of helped with that one. But it’s a very cool looking gadget, had just never heard of it. 

What they did, at the time, 35 years ago, was take an x-ray, once they figured it out, to see if my pelvis looked wide enough to deliver that size of breech baby ( 1st baby ) . I was fully dilated and trying VERY hard not to push. That was absolutely no fun. They did a c-section, because as my Dr. explained it “ well, now days we tend to do a c-section with a first birth breech, because people tend to have fewer kids, so you don’t want one maybe brain damaged” He was something. 

4 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

If they own that much property, and are training their kids in property management / repair/ renovation / real estate - they very well may be able to be self sustaining through this entire generation and beyond. Assuming they do what most other businesses try to do- grow and add assets. It would seem with that much property, and commercial ventures - they could add on a few in-house admin, legal, bookkeeping and marketing positions for the family members who just aren’tinclined towards the other jobs.

In order to grow assets into this generation and beyond, along with sustaining the quiverfull movement, it's going to take a great deal more folks (beyond JB, JD, Jana) busting hump for decades...the lack of sustained work effort and timeliness is strong in this group.

Didn't JB say in a talking head that the Duggars had owned that property/home for a couple of YEARS? Were they using it to generate income? If not, why not?

14 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

Also, why make it a part of the plot line (other than to address internet questions of where are they going to live? Hi TLC) without including any background to an incredibly peculiar building besides JB saying "we bought this house a couple years back and were redoing it" that tells me nothing.

Why is it 9,000 sqft, why does it have an elevator or automatic doors??? 

FJ makes me a smarter person everyday! I had no idea wally world HQ was there.

It's a dumb waiter, not an elevated for people, I would guess. We have toyed with the idea of putting one into our home. WE live on a hill, in a tri-level, and the kitchen, along with the majority of the living space, is on the top floor. Hauling groceries and suitcases gets old.

6 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I have not used the phone thingy, but I've used the pocket sized one on other things than obstetrics, and it is really good! But if all you use it for is to determine the baby position it probably is not worth it. And if it makes you more vulnerable for law suits that is a huge con as well. 

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

It's a dumb waiter, not an elevated for people, I would guess. We have toyed with the idea of putting one into our home. WE live on a hill, in a tri-level, and the kitchen, along with the majority of the living space, is on the top floor. Hauling groceries and suitcases gets old.

I think they said it's a chainlift hoist (it looked like one), so it needs a person in it, standing on the elevator deck, hauling on the chain for it to work. Currently it's an open shaft, so actually quite dangerous at the moment if it goes up and down a couple stories, especially since it doesn't have any internal gates.

On 9/5/2018 at 11:54 PM, TheOneAndOnly said:

I saw a thing on reddit and immediately thought of the fundie rush to marry. I wasn't sure where to put it so I just closed my eyes and picked a thread.

CGlgrwy.jpg

I feel like this floats around social media every 10 minutes. Also Boaz wasn't that great...

22 hours ago, Rio said:

Also It seemed sort of sad when Jessa had Jinger, Joy, and Kendra over and the four of them had nothing to say other than babies, when the babies are due, and what their birth plans are. Would be great if they were encouraged to follow their own individual interests rather than getting shoehorned into the housewife thing. Don’t get me wrong, I am pretty involved in keeping house and being a wife and mother myself, but that was after I went to college a couple of times and got married a couple of times and got to have my own, individualized achievements and failures. I still have a career 2\3 time. If I wanted to go back to full time my husband, and even my rotten sons, would support my decision.  Being a homemaker is great if that’s what you, the individual, really want.

I wonder what they talk about when the cameras are gone?

”OMG! Did you see what Heidi was wearing? How ugly!”

”I swear I clean up after Dereck more than the kids,”

”I thought Joe was joking, but he actually licks plates!”

”Did you watch Bachelor last night?”

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived