IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7: Part 2 - Who cares, even TLC stopped counting

Buzzard

12 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Mr Way and I have very different taste in names. We vetoed eachothers favourites for nine months. He suggested one name that I liked and I thought we had decided on that since we obviously had talked about pretty much every name in the world and couldn’t agree on anything else. But then he changed his mind and wanted to think about it more. So we went through all the names in the world one more time and ten days after Miniway was born we gave him the first name anyway. 

Mr Way sometimes still talk about his favourite names like they were actually contenders. They were not. 

My husband and I have absolutely opposite taste in names. We talk about our theoretical name for kids- we only ever agreed on a single girl name and it has surged tremendously in popularity over the past couple of years due to royal family... so idk if that will stick as our future child’s name. We joke about going with initial names (like AJ) for boys but not have them mean anything because maybe a letter would be easier to agree on than a name lol

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had the name discussion a lot the last year since we’re planning to start a family very soon. We started with a theoretical discussion, like would we want a theme, is there names that go and don’t go together, would we like to use family names? And also, we put directly vetoed names on the table.

This theoretical discussion has made the actual name discussion easier. And we have a list of first, and middle, names that we’re playing around with. And if we would disagree, veto would probably be enforced since we have to live with it forever. Spurgeon would not pass the veto around here.

Our results?
He loves a boys name that I’m not in love, but is more than fine with. That name however takes my favorite girls name out of the running... at least for round one of baby making [emoji6] since we have decided that we want names with sort of a theme.

We want two middle names, one family name and one with a political meaning for us.

Joy's trip to the hospital due to the breech baby shows that she got almost no prenatal care. A sonogram would have shown the baby to be breech, and she would have been in the hospital to begin with. She comes across as one of the most fundie Duggar kids. I'm sick of all their home births.

Joy seems to me to be very aggressively set in her ways even if she isn't sure of what those ways are yet. She just seems to have a contradictory ability to seem like she never really knows her own mind yet simultaneously knows she is right. She can come off as arrogantly confident in her beliefs while also seeming endlessly unsure of herself or what her actual beliefs are. I think that's one of the reasons she seems like such a natural fit fundamentalist. 

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

I'm not going to lie, I wish that I liked the name Bruce partly becasue of Batman. There's just been a lot of cool people named Bruce: Bruce Wayne, Bruce Springsteen, Bruce Lee, Bruce Campbell.  It's such a cool name, but it sounds so harsh to me lol. 

Also I saw the episode (thanks for the YouTube link!) and it does sound more like Joy was second guessing the name, which makes a lot more sense. 

My friend’s little brother is named Bruce. She used to play this to her mother. 

56 minutes ago, is.it.real said:

We have had the name discussion a lot the last year since we’re planning to start a family very soon. We started with a theoretical discussion, like would we want a theme, is there names that go and don’t go together, would we like to use family names? And also, we put directly vetoed names on the table.

This theoretical discussion has made the actual name discussion easier. And we have a list of first, and middle, names that we’re playing around with. And if we would disagree, veto would probably be enforced since we have to live with it forever. Spurgeon would not pass the veto around here.

Our results?
He loves a boys name that I’m not in love, but is more than fine with. That name however takes my favorite girls name out of the running... at least for round one of baby making emoji6.png since we have decided that we want names with sort of a theme.

We want two middle names, one family name and one with a political meaning for us.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Miniway has two middle names, one from each family. 

For us agreeing on anything was made difficult because we have very different references, growing up on opposite sides of the world. There was a lot of:

Happy voice: ”What about X?”

*Look of horror* ”No!”

*Confusion* ”Why?”

What is even weirder is Duggarville seems pretty quiet right now. No one is pregnant right now? What kind of statistical anomaly is that??

Do you think they are waiting until the end of the season to drop some announcements to get us hooked for next season? 
Felicity is going to be celebrating her first birthday before her birth is shown on TLC next season. 

On 9/1/2018 at 2:28 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

I know that everyone's different, but I would NOT be able to relax if I gave birth at home. What if something goes wrong, oh my god I'm shitting and bleeding all over my linens, the shit and blood is going to get into the carpet, oh god oh god I'm going to die and then no one will wash the sheets or steam clean the carpet...

I understand that is how most people feel---I really do.  But for me, I went into labor at about 3 a.m.  I didn't quite realize that it was true labor, thought maybe it was just early contractions, so I got into a warm bath.  Mr. Fortress called our midwife, who spoke with me & confirmed it was real labor & that we needed to get to the birth center ASAP.  I was really concentrating at that point & (probably in transition already) was annoyed that I had to get up, get dressed, and into a car!  (I had never planned to give birth at home, mind you . . . it was just my thought at that late labor stage.) My labor was just so intense and fast (about 4 hours start to finish) that in my case, I really could have been very content to lie on my own bed and push out the baby. My husband was having none of that! ?

It might be like having a doctor make a house call when you are sick.  Having to get dressed and go to a doctor's office when you have the flu or a sinus infection totally sucks.  Imagine being in your own comfy bed and having the doctor come to you.  YES  I totally realize that childbirth is way more serious and potentially dangerous than a cold---I am just trying to state the mentality behind why come women are more comfortable at home.  Also, I generally hate doctors & hospitals. :(

2 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Joy seems to me to be very aggressively set in her ways even if she isn't sure of what those ways are yet. She just seems to have a contradictory ability to seem like she never really knows her own mind yet simultaneously knows she is right. She can come off as arrogantly confident in her beliefs while also seeming endlessly unsure of herself or what her actual beliefs are. I think that's one of the reasons she seems like such a natural fit fundamentalist. 

This ! is so brilliant.  

Perhaps she seemed so off because she was like 9 months along when we see her here. 

But still - perhaps this is how she has to conform to Austin to be married to him because this all she has. I felt that she was just in it but not in it. 

In the beginning of the episode, Joy mentioned changing her mind on the boy name her and Austin had picked out. They ended up not announcing the name until two days after Gideon was born, so I wonder if they ended up scrapping the original pick and were trying to come up with something else. That, or, Joy had to be 'convinced' to go with Gideon. 

Also, I noticed Jinger said she was going to give birth at a birthing center. Regardless of what made her change her mind, I'm glad she was flexible with birth plan and changed course to fit her (and Felicity's) needs. 

2 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

My friend’s little brother is named Bruce. She used to play this to her mother. 

Miniway has two middle names, one from each family. 

For us agreeing on anything was made difficult because we have very different references, growing up on opposite sides of the world. There was a lot of:

Happy voice: ”What about X?”

*Look of horror* ”No!”

*Confusion* ”Why?”

We also grew up on different continents so that causes the serious name dispute. Names here in America that were 90s fads are really popular in his country.. idk how we will ever agree one day haha!  We do agree on a short name. I have two middle names, he has a hyphenated last name and we have legal and career troubles due to our names several times a year. It’s been a frustrating experience for both of us, even if we love all our names it’s not worth it to bestow the troubles on our offspring lol

On 8/29/2018 at 12:53 PM, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I thought it was funny how Lauren attempted to defer when the producer asked if Josiah was the reason she quit school. It's true, she may not like school and that may be her reason for not pursuing a BSN....but that totally doesn't correlate with her wanting to be a practicing nurse. Which she didn't say, anyways....she stuttered a "I don't see myself becoming a nurse anymore".....*i wonder why*. With her pre-nursing associate's degree she could easily pursue an RN or LVN license....if she didn't, you know, have a fundie husband.

I found her reasoning believable and realistic.  Many people think they want to be a nurse; programs have a very high attrition rate. I didn't quite catch if they defined it exactly, but my guess is that she has some type of allied health AA, a pathway to nursing rather than a nursing degree. Or, if it's a two-year nursing degree, it's most likely in practical nursing - which can have decent pay but much less than registered nursing and fewer chances for advancement. Any nursing license is going to require taking an exam that is difficult for most students, much less students who describe themselves as not interested and not quick to learn. 

I think dual enrollment is simply how she chose to complete high school, and switching programs would have simply meant more school. She doesn't appear at all interested in pursuing nursing to me, and she seems very glad to be done with school, lol. I don't think we can blame that on fundamentalism. 

On 8/30/2018 at 12:12 AM, just_ordinary said:

I am also slightly irritated. How can you go to college or university if you haven’t finished school yet? Provided you are not highly gifted and almost done with school! How would you even have time to go there? Shouldn’t you be in school Mo-Fr at daytime? And how can the Duggars with their (assumed) lacking education even qualify for higher education? Our countries education systems are so different- I fear I will never truly understand how it works in the USA. Especially as we have almost no online programs. I believe there is one accredited online university. But you still have to show up for tests and some stuff in person. And I am actually not sure how well received a degree from this university actually is.

Remember, it is not the Duggars who are going to university or dual enrolling in accredited colleges or community colleges. Some of them are doing Bible school, which has an extremely broad definition and often means little more than reading and discussing the bible.

Students are able to dual enroll or enroll early by showing that they are capable of handling university or college work. The school will evaluate you by looking at your transcript and standardized test score, just as they do for any potential student. Homeschoolers do have the option of padding their transcript to look more impressive, but there is very little point to sending an unprepared student to college or uni. They will just do poorly, and those dual enrollment grades follow you forever. 

If you are in a brick and mortar school, you simply leave the high school campus and head over to the college for specific courses. If you are taking French at college, you are not also taking it at the high school, so you free that time in your schedule. Usually you are responsible for your own transportation. 

The education system in the USA is likely much bigger than yours, with more diversity and ways of doing things. To give you an idea, there are more than 2,600 accredited colleges and universities. That is only counting four-year programs! The clip was referring to a two-year institution, usually called a community college but sometimes called a junior college. We have about 1,400 of those. Many other nations have a count in the low hundreds or even less, so yes, our system sometimes seems complicated or hard to understand in comparison. 

Both of my kids graduated high school with 30+ credit hours (one solid year) from an accredited four-year university. 

On 9/1/2018 at 12:24 AM, Ilovebrownies said:

She doesn’t want to be a nurse because she didn’t like school?  But she said she has her degree so school is done.

You're not a licensed nurse until you pass the exam, which entails lots of work and additional studying for even the best of students. Even if she has a two-year nursing degree, it is worth nothing without passing the exam. She truly sounds disinterested in both nursing and additional studying. 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

You're not a licensed nurse until you pass the exam, which entails lots of work and additional studying for even the best of students. Even if she has a two-year nursing degree, it is worth nothing without passing the exam. She truly sounds disinterested in both nursing and additional studying. 

I am a nurse.  Taking the NCLEX requires some studying but not much if you take your exam right away,  I’ve never heard of a pre nursing associates degree.  She said in the show that her degree is in nursing so it sounds like she has an associates in nursing.  Too bad she won’t use it.

19 minutes ago, Ilovebrownies said:

I am a nurse.  Taking the NCLEX requires some studying but not much if you take your exam right away,  I’ve never heard of a pre nursing associates degree.  She said in the show that her degree is in nursing so it sounds like she has an associates in nursing.  Too bad she won’t use it.

Yea, I was surprised by all of the people saying the Associates Degree is pre-nursing, or practical nursing. I’m in California and two daughters are RN’s. Both did their degrees through the community college, received an Associates In Science in Nursing, and then took their exams to become RN’s. One is now going for her Bachelors Degree, but she is working as an RN while doing it. The other has been working as an RN for 10 years. Their programs did take longer than two years - but that’s largely due to a combination of working while in school and there being a waiting list at one school, and a lottery at the other. It’s an EXTREMELY popular program. 

8 minutes ago, Ilovebrownies said:

It does sound like it, but I am constantly amazed at the number of people who don't really seem to understand or can't correctly name their own major or their kid's major ?

And I did say that it certainly could be a nursing degree. That doesn't mean she feels prepared for the test or wants to study for it. I think good students often underestimate how much additional effort is required for others. When someone repeatedly states that they don't like school and that the work takes them a very long time, I have no reason not to believe them, and I don't think that such a student, or even most students, think of the NCLEX as a test that doesn't require much studying. 

We'll probably never know, but her disinterest in school and nursing seems genuine to me, lol. 

3 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I understand that is how most people feel---I really do.  But for me, I went into labor at about 3 a.m.  I didn't quite realize that it was true labor, thought maybe it was just early contractions, so I got into a warm bath.  Mr. Fortress called our midwife, who spoke with me & confirmed it was real labor & that we needed to get to the birth center ASAP.  I was really concentrating at that point & (probably in transition already) was annoyed that I had to get up, get dressed, and into a car!  (I had never planned to give birth at home, mind you . . . it was just my thought at that late labor stage.) My labor was just so intense and fast (about 4 hours start to finish) that in my case, I really could have been very content to lie on my own bed and push out the baby. My husband was having none of that! ?

It might be like having a doctor make a house call when you are sick.  Having to get dressed and go to a doctor's office when you have the flu or a sinus infection totally sucks.  Imagine being in your own comfy bed and having the doctor come to you.  YES  I totally realize that childbirth is way more serious and potentially dangerous than a cold---I am just trying to state the mentality behind why come women are more comfortable at home.  Also, I generally hate doctors & hospitals. :(

I am 60 years old and have been to the doctors 3 times in my entire life for an active illness. Twice with fulminating strep and 1 time for poison oak that required epinephrine and steroid injections. The last place I want to go when I'm sick is a MD's office.

9 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Yea, I was surprised by all of the people saying the Associates Degree is pre-nursing, or practical nursing. I’m in California and two daughters are RN’s. Both did their degrees through the community college, received an Associates In Science in Nursing, and then took their exams to become RN’s. One is now going for her Bachelors Degree, but she is working as an RN while doing it. The other has been working as an RN for 10 years. Their programs did take longer than two years - but that’s largely due to a combination of working while in school and there being a waiting list at one school, and a lottery at the other. It’s an EXTREMELY popular program. 

I'm one who said "pre-nursing" initially, and I meant it, because I looked it up: https://www.gmc.edu/academic-programs/pre-nursing.cms. The webisode does briefly show which college they were at so I looked up the program, and to me it seems like a program of pre-reqs rather than actual nursing courses to prepare for the RN/LVN cert exams. 

Having friends who are nurses, I don't think it's something you should pursue unless you are very dedicated to the job.  Every single one of my friends who are in the profession work tremendously hard and long hours.  

Nurses and the nursing profession are underappreciated, in my opinion.

19 hours ago, BernRul said:

I'm not going to lie, I wish that I liked the name Bruce partly becasue of Batman. There's just been a lot of cool people named Bruce: Bruce Wayne, Bruce Springsteen, Bruce Lee, Bruce Campbell.  It's such a cool name, but it sounds so harsh to me lol. 

I associate the name Bruce (as well as Keith) as a mid to late baby boomer, as in someone 10-15 years older than I am. Generally speaking, I don't think either name is quite old enough to be recycled yet, like maybe Frank or Glenn, or even Russell. Again, this is just my perception.

7 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

Nurses and the nursing profession are underappreciated, in my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree with this!! I've only been in the hospital 1 time in my life so far (thankfully) and that was for my hysterectomy. Let me tell you.....the nurses who took care of me before my surgery when I was terrified & crying.....every last one was AMAZING & so sweet & reassuring (then they put something in my IV & all was well with the world again!!! haha) Then the 4 days I was in the hospital afterwards.....they literally had to to everything for me. Everything (without going into detail). Let me tell you......nurses are true heroes & they definitely do not get enough appreciation!!! I am forever grateful for all the nurses that took such good care of me (physically & emotionally) that week. 

21 hours ago, katilac said:

I found her reasoning believable and realistic.  Many people think they want to be a nurse; programs have a very high attrition rate. I didn't quite catch if they defined it exactly, but my guess is that she has some type of allied health AA, a pathway to nursing rather than a nursing degree. Or, if it's a two-year nursing degree, it's most likely in practical nursing - which can have decent pay but much less than registered nursing and fewer chances for advancement. Any nursing license is going to require taking an exam that is difficult for most students, much less students who describe themselves as not interested and not quick to learn. 

I think dual enrollment is simply how she chose to complete high school, and switching programs would have simply meant more school. She doesn't appear at all interested in pursuing nursing to me, and she seems very glad to be done with school, lol. I don't think we can blame that on fundamentalism. 

Remember, it is not the Duggars who are going to university or dual enrolling in accredited colleges or community colleges. Some of them are doing Bible school, which has an extremely broad definition and often means little more than reading and discussing the bible.

Students are able to dual enroll or enroll early by showing that they are capable of handling university or college work. The school will evaluate you by looking at your transcript and standardized test score, just as they do for any potential student. Homeschoolers do have the option of padding their transcript to look more impressive, but there is very little point to sending an unprepared student to college or uni. They will just do poorly, and those dual enrollment grades follow you forever. 

If you are in a brick and mortar school, you simply leave the high school campus and head over to the college for specific courses. If you are taking French at college, you are not also taking it at the high school, so you free that time in your schedule. Usually you are responsible for your own transportation. 

The education system in the USA is likely much bigger than yours, with more diversity and ways of doing things. To give you an idea, there are more than 2,600 accredited colleges and universities. That is only counting four-year programs! The clip was referring to a two-year institution, usually called a community college but sometimes called a junior college. We have about 1,400 of those. Many other nations have a count in the low hundreds or even less, so yes, our system sometimes seems complicated or hard to understand in comparison. 

Both of my kids graduated high school with 30+ credit hours (one solid year) from an accredited four-year university. 

I'm a nurse, and I know a couple classmates who did the accelerated program with me who never took the NCLEX.  Or some get into the program and realize its nothing like what they envisioned (like the ones who think its all about sitting behind a desk or giving meds).  Plus there's a lot of stress in the field.  

You have to have a thick skin.  You get yelled at, berated, thrown under the bus, called names.  If a substance is in or on the body, it'll end up on you.  But you get hugs, you get rewarded by little comments like you made a difference to somebody.  

After 17.5 years...I still wouldn't trade it with another career.  However, I do wonder how I would have done as a mortician from time to time (we did a test in high school that matched you with a career based on personality).

14 minutes ago, 3splenty said:

I'm a nurse, and I know a couple classmates who did the accelerated program with me who never took the NCLEX.  Or some get into the program and realize its nothing like what they envisioned (like the ones who think its all about sitting behind a desk or giving meds).  Plus there's a lot of stress in the field.  

You have to have a thick skin.  You get yelled at, berated, thrown under the bus, called names.  If a substance is in or on the body, it'll end up on you.  But you get hugs, you get rewarded by little comments like you made a difference to somebody.  

After 17.5 years...I still wouldn't trade it with another career.  However, I do wonder how I would have done as a mortician from time to time (we did a test in high school that matched you with a career based on personality).

I don't have much to add but hello fellow RNs.  18 years practicing here.  I love that I stuck with it and this was after 2 stabs at my BScN.  I dropped out for 3 years because I was not mature enough to handle the course load and stress.  The bad ass sense of humor that comes with being a seasoned nurse is second to non when you are deliriously over-worked, and yes we should be paid more.

Retired nurse. I worked Nicus/Picus for 35 years. I am 60 and have been retired for a couple of years. Frankly, I don't know how I did it, but at the time, I found it really rewarding, and made me really appreciate my 2 healthy kids.

Random question, will the Duggar's have to get a new safe word now that Nike is for the heathens? 

I know tons of nurses, worked in a hospital for years, and nurses rock, most are angels on earth I never envied what they did because I could never do it. 

Is it me or when Joy told Jinger she could stop by at Gideon's birth Jinger was like THANKS BUT NO THANKS. It was kinda funny, lol.

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived