IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7: Part 2 - Who cares, even TLC stopped counting

Buzzard

20 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

College

Joe went to Crown, but it was never shown. They could all be enrolled in online school--I work for a school with a huge online enrollment and it isn't all just a rubber stamp or "buy a degree" by any means. I imagine more WILL go on with education as they get older and develop the interests they were denied a chance to explore as teenagers.

I think Joe going to college was for the season that never aired because of Josh's scandal. Although I could be wrong 

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I think Joe going to college was for the season that never aired because of Josh's scandal. Although I could be wrong 

It was! There was actually a preview that aired for that 'lost' season before the scandals hit, and it was going to feature Jill and Derick telling the family that they were moving to Central America to be missionaries, Joe going away to college, and Josiah starting to court Marjorie, among other things that I can't remember.

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

College

Joe went to Crown, but it was never shown. They could all be enrolled in online school--I work for a school with a huge online enrollment and it isn't all just a rubber stamp or "buy a degree" by any means. I imagine more WILL go on with education as they get older and develop the interests they were denied a chance to explore as teenagers.

I earned my associate’s degree at a community college then completed my bachelor’s and master’s degrees online. A lot of work and discipline went into it; participation grades generally involved writing 300-500 word essays that cited multiple sources and at least 2 well-articulated responses to classmates’ posts each week. This was in addition to all the required reading, papers, and other assignments. I just can’t see the Duggars willingly participating in anything that requires that much of them academically, even if it is centered around the Bible. At least not while Jim Bob is willing to support them if they toe the party line.

13 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

What is Bible College, exactly?

In Joe's case, he went to the Crown College campus in Tennessee. I thought he was only there for a semester, but maybe he did the full year? Either way, we're assuming he was doing the "Foundation for Christian Life Certificate". According to CC, "The FCLC is designed to equip students for a lifetime of effective Christian service in any field of education or employment into which God may lead them. 

The Foundation for Christian Life Certificate program is designed to be completed in two semesters and includes key Bible and other courses that will give students a solid foundation of biblical knowledge and local church ministry training.

Upon completion, students may transfer FCLC credits into any Crown bachelor-level degree program."

https://thecrowncollege.edu/academics/christian-life-certificate/

Trace Bates finished one of these in May/June of this year, and any of the other Bates offspring who earned degrees from Crown earned the certificate as part of their degree program, including Josie who just earned a Cosmetology diploma (or degree, there are apparently now both a Cosmetology diploma and an AAS program).

I also recall a discussion from several months to a year ago where we found an online Bible Study program that a number of the Duggars, including Joy, were enrolled in. I don't remember what it was, and haven't found it via the search function yet, but I definitely recall that it was discussed on the forum.

21 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My driver's seat-back is always covered with long hair. I, too, shed like I'm molting a full head of hair every three days. And I have a LOT of hair.

Haha same here!! I always wonder how I'm not bald! I shed like crazy but still have so much hair!!!!

28 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

What is Bible College, exactly?

It's generally an old name for a Christian College or University. The Bible College movement of the early 20th Century created many of these. Some have closed recently. Others are thriving and are very much like secular schools only with nightly Bible study, more rules and no R rated movies! But most are "normal" otherwise--you can date, there's no curfew etc. Students must sign and live by a statement of faith at most, but not at all. I work for one such school.

41 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

I also recall a discussion from several months to a year ago where we found an online Bible Study program that a number of the Duggars, including Joy, were enrolled in. I don't remember what it was, and haven't found it via the search function yet, but I definitely recall that it was discussed on the forum.

I remember this as well, I was gonna mention it but couldn't remember enough details. Someone found and posted either a link or picture of screen grab with most Duggar kids listed as enrolled. Even one of the younger boys, maybe James or Jason, too young to be of college age, were listed too. But since Lily mentions she started very young too, maybe the age requirement is different in America. I don't think it was discussed any further than the initial posting, as nobody could find more info or details on it.

Josiah said Math was his favourite subject and he was doing some accounting classes with College Plus. Whatever happened to that?  They were shilling it pretty strongly before Joshgate. I bet he slacked off on his online courses and would’ve benefitted from the structure of a bricks and motor school. 

Good for Lauren for persevering and getting her 2year diploma. Hope Lily does continue her studies. She seems like a nice girl. 

This clip was my favourite of Josiah. Sweet that the girls could show them their college and he was able to meet their history prof. 

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

Haha same here!! I always wonder how I'm not bald! I shed like crazy but still have so much hair!!!!

Same with me. 

1 hour ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

I remember this as well, I was gonna mention it but couldn't remember enough details. Someone found and posted either a link or picture of screen grab with most Duggar kids listed as enrolled. Even one of the younger boys, maybe James or Jason, too young to be of college age, were listed too. But since Lily mentions she started very young too, maybe the age requirement is different in America. I don't think it was discussed any further than the initial posting, as nobody could find more info or details on it.

Hah, out of sheer determination (and a lot of varied search terms and filters) I FOUND THE ORIGINAL POSTS! The online bible school in question is the "Faith Bible Institute". http://www.faithbibleinstitute.com/ 

The website is impressively uninformative as to what the Faith Bible Institute (FBI ?!) actually is, but the best description may be the following, which comes from their "Satellite Brochure" (aka how to recruit more "local schools" to watch the recordings from the "main campus" Louisiana).

"WHAT IS FAITH BIBLE INSTITUTE? Faith Bible Institute (FBI) is a through the Bible course for every Christian. Students study chronologically through Every Bible Book & Doctrine in classes that meet only 1 evening each week. Over 55,000 Christians in over 1,350 churches across the US & on 7 continents have enrolled in FBI’s 3 year study. FBI combines verse by verse Bible teaching, student workbooks, and group classes to produce a life changing learning experience. Courses include six 17/18 week semesters (plus Electives)."

(http://www.faithbibleinstitute.com/assets/fall_2018_satellite_brochure_3.2--copy-3.pages.pdf

The first quoted post below has a screenshot of the enrollees at the Fayetteville AR satellite (which the FBI site says is based at Lighthouse Baptist Church, AKA Paul Caldwell's church!) for "Semester 3," the Spring 2017 term. The list includes "Jer", Jana, Joy, "Jase", Josiah, James, "Jed" and "Joe" Duggar, and Kendra and Lauren Caldwell. They enrolled on various days between Jan 5 and Jan 9 2017.  Since the website is currently promoting Semester 6, at least some of the Duggar offspring may still be enrolled in this program.

The second quoted post explains where the screenshot in the first link came from, as apparently FBI used to make this registration information easily accessible online, though please note, the link in the post below no longer works. However, the screenshot in the first is still completely readable. 

10 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I will be traveling next monday, and (of course) there is a new episode for Duggar Day AKA Labor day.  Who's going to bite the bullet and do the recap? 

I can do it @Buzzard, I have the TLCgo app on my tv and can get the recap out when its released in the morning. 

Be prepared for my very cynical tone though :pb_lol:

7 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

I earned my associate’s degree at a community college then completed my bachelor’s and master’s degrees online. A lot of work and discipline went into it;

I did the same, a combo of in person classes and online (since I was on the road all the time).  Some people (ahem BLB) will discount an online degree, yet I am sure I have far out-earned her "serial killer" salary.

7 hours ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

I am also slightly irritated. How can you go to college or university if you haven’t finished school yet? Provided you are not highly gifted and almost done with school! How would you even have time to go there? Shouldn’t you be in school Mo-Fr at daytime? And how can the Duggars with their (assumed) lacking education even qualify for higher education? Our countries education systems are so different- I fear I will never truly understand how it works in the USA. Especially as we have almost no online programs. I believe there is one accredited online university. But you still have to show up for tests and some stuff in person. And I am actually not sure how well received a degree from this university actually is.

I do wonder why the Duggars or TLC don’t show off more of their education especially if there are any possibilities to make them look less ignorant. We don’t even get a bad written instagram acknowledgement when someone “graduates”.  (Which is ok- I always wonder why someone would congratulate people on the internet instead of in person if possible. Rather strange concept to me. Different when you show off you success on your own account and people congratulate in the comments. But even then I wouldn’t if I have the chance to do it in person or on the phone. But it seems strange for people who post the most random shit and make a big deal out of very little things.) Now, it could be that no one has successfully graduated. But it makes me wonder what those people do while we have absolutely no clue and are distracted by highly curated TV. The more I see of them the more it feels like I don’t really see anything from them. 

I really like that clip...now that's the sort of thing I wish that could be shown on the actual show. Lily seems very determined for her future, and Lauren seemed to be kind of resigned to her future,IMO. 

On 8/24/2018 at 1:19 AM, Sky with diamonds said:

I don't have much good to say about jimBob and Michelle, but when Jinger saw Michelle and went right in for a hug and Michelle hugged Jinger back...that was a genuine, lovely  moment. It surprised me. 

Yes. It was the first time I saw genuine love from Michelle, for one of her kids. She actually teared up. It surprised me too. 

I thought t was kind of nasty for Jessa to detail how horrible her deliveries were and how everything was agony and nothing helped. She felt like she was dying but hey, just don't get discouraged! 

What a thing to say to a scared young pregnant woman.  

How about, "you will be able to do this. No matter what you will get through it and the reward at the end will be magnificent. You can do this!" 

I mean I could understand maybe if she was trying to warn her away from a home birth but it seemed like she just wanted to scare her. And then, " I hate to say things like that." 

Sure, Jan. 

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

How can you go to college or university if you haven’t finished school yet?

I did it - I left high school at semester in my senior year and went to university to carry a full load while I completed my high school requirements remotely.

Many students at my daughter's high school graduated from high school with both their high school diploma and their Associate degree - because of a program they called something like "dual enrollment."

Around 3 mins 15 of the video about college Jinger says that Higher Education is excellent and if a child wants to pursue a certain thing thats what they should do (im paraphrasing).

As for going to school without finishing High school, HS today have programs where you can take college classes while enrolled in school. My friends son graduated HS in June and started at the University of Washington last week and is considered a Junior as he's already completed his 1st two years of college level courses in HS, and yes he is considered a genius, he's a brilliant young man with a gift for numbers he is getting a double degree in Actuarial Science & Accounting, he should finish both in 2.5 years and then he plans on getting his masters.

I have another friend who's daughter just graduated in May is considered a sophomore at her University, though she did take 3 summer classes after she graduated HS to do this.  My daughters friend graduated with a full semesters worth of credits at her university and she had several other classmates that had several credits to up to a years worth of credits by graduation time. A lot of students can graduate high school with a  handful of college credits, the ones like my friends son who can get that far are more rare.  

8 hours ago, amendgitan said:

I thought t was kind of nasty for Jessa to detail how horrible her deliveries were and how everything was agony and nothing helped. She felt like she was dying but hey, just don't get discouraged! 

What a thing to say to a scared young pregnant woman.  

How about, "you will be able to do this. No matter what you will get through it and the reward at the end will be magnificent. You can do this!" 

I mean I could understand maybe if she was trying to warn her away from a home birth but it seemed like she just wanted to scare her. And then, " I hate to say things like that." 

Sure, Jan. 

I got the impression that Jessa felt she was really unprepared for how hard her first labour was and she didn't want Joy to be that unprepared herself. We only saw like thirty seconds of an edited conversation between them, so we have no idea what else, if anything, Jessa said to her about labour and delivery.

39 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I got the impression that Jessa felt she was really unprepared for how hard her first labour was and she didn't want Joy to be that unprepared herself. We only saw like thirty seconds of an edited conversation between them, so we have no idea what else, if anything, Jessa said to her about labour and delivery.

She was also being honest with her sister, and she should be because birth isn't all sunshine and roses, it is risky business, women and babies die in the birthing process. IMO all 1st times moms need someone to really prepare them for the realities of childbirth and motherhood, because often times you only see the "pretty side" of what people want you to see, and that is where things go wrong when they aren't all sunshine and roses. Jessa wasn't saying it to be a bitch she was preparing her, as she said you don't know until you know, and you can't fathom what the pain of labor is like until you experience it, just know to be prepared and know you will get through it, and Jessa said that as well. I thought it was a thoughtful conversation between siblings/friends.

The other thing is that from what we saw Jessa had pretty easy pregnancies. I think it's really only Jill who mentioned several times that she was very ill with nausea/vomiting, but the rest of them seemed to have a pretty easy go of it. I heard a million horrific delivery stories but my pregnancies were both high risk and absolutely horrific in every respect/complication for me and baby that you could pretty much come up with. There is a reason I had my tubes removed after my second, during the c-section in fact, because my body could simply not survive another pregnancy. So when I actually went through delivery, both of which ended up c-sections, that was a BREEZE! I was like what is everybody talking about? Literally was over quickly, I didn't find it painful, the recovery was so smooth that I was running a 5K a month out. That was my reward for the absolutely terrible 8-9 months preceeding it.

14 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I am also slightly irritated. How can you go to college or university if you haven’t finished school yet? Provided you are not highly gifted and almost done with school! How would you even have time to go there? Shouldn’t you be in school Mo-Fr at daytime? And how can the Duggars with their (assumed) lacking education even qualify for higher education? Our countries education systems are so different- I fear I will never truly understand how it works in the USA. Especially as we have almost no online programs. I believe there is one accredited online university. But you still have to show up for tests and some stuff in person. And I am actually not sure how well received a degree from this university actually is.

I do wonder why the Duggars or TLC don’t show off more of their education especially if there are any possibilities to make them look less ignorant. We don’t even get a bad written instagram acknowledgement when someone “graduates”.  (Which is ok- I always wonder why someone would congratulate people on the internet instead of in person if possible. Rather strange concept to me. Different when you show off you success on your own account and people congratulate in the comments. But even then I wouldn’t if I have the chance to do it in person or on the phone. But it seems strange for people who post the most random shit and make a big deal out of very little things.) Now, it could be that no one has successfully graduated. But it makes me wonder what those people do while we have absolutely no clue and are distracted by highly curated TV. The more I see of them the more it feels like I don’t really see anything from them. 

1. Many colleges offer a dual enrollment program, where students can complete their high school requirements while working on college credits. Many high schools ( homeschool and public ) also offer on-line courses and distance learning opportunities.

2. You do not need to be brilliant to complete college, you just need to do the work. 

3. Many, many people are able to successfully attend and complete college despite having a less than stellar post-secondary education. Many adults don’t attend college until being in the workforce for many years, or raising children, or deciding it is something that is beneficial for them. Again, it’s mostly just being bright enough to grasp and complete the work. 

4. Many colleges here offer on-line courses. These come in a wide array of configurations. This can range from entirely on-line and self-paced to an occasional on-line course, with everything else on-site. There are many combination programs as well. 

5. If you don’t understand how a system works, it is very easy to research and find out. Or just ask. 

I have read in a few posts that JBoob and Meechelle say they were never quiverful. Back on 17 or 17 kids & c.  they were flogging the quiverfull thing and even had a picture of a quiver of arrows and the bible verse re blessed is the man who had a quiver full on the wall in TTH.  

When Gothatd fell they seemed to start denying.  They are liars.  I bet they scrubbed that out of the episode but I definitely remember.  Wish I had that original CD.

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived