IGNORED

John David is courting Abbie Grace Burnett

VBOY9977

37 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

If we haven't picked a "ship" name yet, can I suggest "AbbieNormal - ish"?

Are you from Des Moines? That is the name of a popular local band. :pb_lol: 

And JD rethinking the "bachelor to the rapture", I'm dying. He has wit, a job a work ethic.  I'm wondering of JD is following the courting rules as closely as her parents wish him to? I've always gotten a vibe that he wasn't totally drowning in this particular flavor of Kool -aid,  I don't think he'll run off and be a godless hippie liberal, :pearlclutch:  but I could really see this going main stream conservative fundy lite, where she works and they plan their family. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, amendgitan said:

Their entire culture (ATI/IBLP, IFB), is strictly against single women working outside of either sex segregated jobs or jobs chaperoned by a brother or father or for another family headship (like being Doug Phillips nanny). 

Married women can only typically work at family jobs with their husband or jobs they do from home. 

John Clay was on set so his wife was allowed to be too. 

It is quite clear that they are against women being independent and having careers, or jobs other than the limited ones described above.  We've seen that over and over.  Rarely have we seen an actual fundie woman of this type work an outside, unchaperoned job away from family or another similar family's headship. 

Josie Bates does. 

50 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

If we haven't picked a "ship" name yet, can I suggest "AbbieNormal - ish"?

Hmmmm.... I like Job. It could be appropriate if they actually have real jobs or ironic if they don't haha

Yes. Plenty of single fundie girls do. It’s the Already deciding she  is a dedicated career woman who will continue to work( we still don’t know she actually is anyway)after she has children which few if any fundie wives do and  making her a glowing inspiration to the little D girls that is putting the cart way before the horse. 

12 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

JD doesn't seem like a "throw caution to the wind" kind of guy.  He's watched his siblings failed courtships.  He's already saying they're "in love".  

I will eat my hat if they haven't already agreed to get married.  Now, they may not be formally engaged yet, but that's just a "plan the proposal" kind of thing (which, if you read most fundie love stories carefully, they always know the man is GOING to propose, they just don't know when.  But they know it's coming, because they do seriously discuss marriage and have to indicate their readiness before the guy gets the green light).  I feel like they've already discussed marriage, are both eager to get married, and the rest is just formalities.  

That's kind of the "sweet spot" for announcing: you've already determined you're headed to the altar, it allows you to get maximum publicity AND maximum paid publicity (because you can release exclusives), but there is little risk of it not working out because you've already had the marriage talk.  

I think the Duggars have adopted the Bates' strategy for courtship announcement: after the couple privately agrees to get engaged sometime in the future, but before the actual proposal happens.  This also allows them to play hard and fast with dates, since they can consider long periods of time "getting to know someone" when in the regular world we would call that dating.  They just don't slap a label on it until the couple are very serious.  It's a bit of a neat trick and disguises how much "dating" actually goes on in this community.  

I totally agree with you. He’s probably currently planning the proposal. It will maybe be flying over a field that says “marry me Abbie”

2 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Yes. Plenty of single fundie girls do. It’s the Already deciding she  is a dedicated career woman who will continue to work( we still don’t know she actually is anyway)after she has children which few if any fundie wives do and  making her a glowing inspiration to the little D girls that is putting the cart way before the horse. 

I haven’t said that at all. Actually one of the first things I said was “I wonder if she will keep working.” Because we all know most fundie wives must stay home with kids because it’s so much work to have a bunch of little kids and daycare is expensive. 

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

John seems like the kind of guy that enjoys being single very much, but one day decides he's ready to get married and very quickly meets a girl and gets married quickly. I've seen it many times, and it often works out. 

I’ve said it before but John reminds me a lot of my husband, who also grew up fundie homeschooled.  He started working construction for a church friend at 16 and has been a volunteer firefighter since 18.  He’s just a very quiet, calm, all around good guy who wants to work with his hands and stay away drama.  He was perfectly happy being single, and then at 25 met me. We married within six months.  John David strikes me as the same way.

I had a friend who talked to Bill Gothard about working. He told her it would be okay to work a little bit while she's still unmarried and living at home, but that once she got married she shouldn't be working outside the home.

I didn’t mean you in particular. But the general theme  that some people are latching onto seems to be those assumptions.

I think it’s plausible she currently works at a nursing home since that’s where a lot of LPNs work. Or even a home health aide. I can’t imagine a lot of worry about being defrauded in a nursing home. Sure you may see naked old men but come on. Lol. 

3 hours ago, freethemall said:

Also in this picture her hair (which looks way nicer in a soft braid) makes it look they just finished fooling around...

image.thumb.png.d6608a5ce8e68a3fbf183ccdbc5d1b3f.png

I hope they did! And seeing as I got my wish for something to happen so that I’d have something to read I now wish these two a happy life where they step away from crazy fundiedome, belive in education and work, and doesn’t believe in selling their kids to the mighty tv god. 

1 hour ago, bella8050 said:

Now what countries are left for the inevitable TLC paid and filmed honeymoon for these two to go on? 

They should come to Sweden! I’ll show them around and teach them all about my heathen lifestyle. 

23 minutes ago, JoiseyGoil said:

Will Josh be John-David’s best man? Will JB and Michelle force John-David to have Josh in his wedding party?

He has been in many weddings and seems to have a lot of friends. It will be interesting to see who’s in his party. 

Just now, amendgitan said:

That's super rare. 

But her dad is on the board. You would think if it’s that rare he would not allow it. 

14 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Are you from Des Moines? That is the name of a popular local band. :pb_lol: 

I haven't lived in Des Moines for a few years and haven't heard of them (I know you're not responding to me, but I have to butt in when it's my hometown). BUT it's from Young Frankenstein, a movie with its own DSM connection-- Cloris Leachman went to Roosevelt HS!

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

As long as they keep Sierra away from the proceedings they should be good. If they end up with half-melted ice cream sprinkled with shards of broken glass, we'll all know who to blame. 

There will be an epic Sierra meltdown due to an “unexpected and unavoidable” disaster at this wedding or I will riot! RIOT I SAY!!! ELEVENTY!!!!!! 

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

But her dad is on the board. You would think if it’s that rare he would not allow it. 

True. But her family is also much more lax than many. Their girls are not only allowed but are encouraged to go to bahble college. 

It remains rare for these people. At least the ones I know about. 

7 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I had a friend who talked to Bill Gothard about working. He told her it would be okay to work a little bit while she's still unmarried and living at home, but that once she got married she shouldn't be working outside the home.

What's the reasoning behind that? Seems to me if they care that much it should be a hard no.

2 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

What's the reasoning behind that? Seems to me if they care that much it should be a hard no.

Because technically only her Father or Husband has actual dominion over her and can give her a hard no. 

6 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

I’m pretty sure a big reason is the assumption that you’ll be a mother after you get married. The wife is needed to stay home in order to raise and educate the children, keep the house, cook the meals, and have super sexy private fellowship time with her husband. It’s the disgusting Mad Men type mindset where a woman’s place is barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think she might be 3rd after Hannah and John Clay. They are both married and have boys. I think Charity, Caleb, Maggie, and Carrina are all in their 20s and younger than her (says she’s 26). Then the youngest is Ben and he’s a teen. Although I could be wrong and Charity might be older than her.  

I think Caleb is older than her and Charity younger? Just looking at that one super old pic of them that someone posted from ATI. Abbie is apparently 26, and anything I can internet-creep on for Caleb lists him as 26 or 27. 

abbie & john

abbn, abhn, abbin, abohn, ajohn, abbien, abbihn, abbohn, abjohn, abbiehn, abbjohn, abbijohn

john & abbie

jbie, johe, jbbie, jobie, johie, johne, jabbie, jobbie, johbie, johnie, johbbie, johnbie, johabbie

21 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Probably to help support their family while they’re still living at home. And to make a little money for their weddings. 

These fundie girls are often trapped into being SAHMs. I think some might think they can work part time after marriage somehow but with the no birth control, they have kid after kid and it becomes almost impossible to work when you have a bunch of tiny kids at home. Probably why we see so many MLMs.

For the FJer who said they were possibly fudging timelines, in the video they clearly state they met "several years ago" but just got interested in each other recently.

Not all LPNs work in nursing homes.

Here's my BEC comment:  her purple dress has a spot on it. Yeah, I know - but once I saw it, that was all I could see.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived