IGNORED

John David is courting Abbie Grace Burnett

VBOY9977

This seems like a good match. I wish I didn't feel like he was a lot happier than her in their announcement video. Idk - maybe she's just a very calm person?  She seemed flat to me. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

This seems like a good match. I wish I didn't feel like he was a lot happier than her in their announcement video. Idk - maybe she's just a very calm person?  She seemed flat to me. 

I agree that she seemed a lot more reserved - like he normally is. We’ll see how things play out but my thinking is that she may feel awkward making the video. I know I would - especially knowing how many people are going to see it and whatnot. I laughed at the beginning of how awkward it was with them introducing each other. 

1 minute ago, Chippy said:

I agree that she seemed a lot more reserved - like he normally is. We’ll see how things play out but my thinking is that she may feel awkward making the video. I know I would - especially knowing how many people are going to see it and whatnot. I laughed at the beginning of how awkward it was with them introducing each other. 

True, I doubt she is used to being in front of the camera. 

Just now, libgirl2 said:

True, I doubt she is used to being in front of the camera. 

She’s not. The Burnett’s aren’t like some of the other fundie families that are outgoing and travel around singing to strangers (example the Bontragers). And IIRC, Abbie wasn’t featured a ton on the blog before it was erased. So I wouldn’t be surprised if she was one of the quieter Burnett’s.

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm pretty sure Jana would be married if she wanted to. Maybe she has decided to stay single or she has still not found the perfect match.

Jana seems to be comfortable with her projects and being out of the spotlight. I don't see her sad or depressed.

What if she doesn't like the married life? What if she feels horrified of being pregnant, after all she has seen at home?  What if she loves being kinda farmer and dreams about getting old in that big house with 20 cats? 

She often has a very wistful and sad face to me. 

1 minute ago, Jana814 said:

Does anyone know many kids are in her family and what number she is?  

I think she might be 3rd after Hannah and John Clay. They are both married and have boys. I think Charity, Caleb, Maggie, and Carrina are all in their 20s and younger than her (says she’s 26). Then the youngest is Ben and he’s a teen. Although I could be wrong and Charity might be older than her.  

Wow, well that was unexpected! Two fundie families I never expected to join together in matrimony (the first being the Maxwells and Bontragers). 

For those who don't normally venture outside the Duggar subforum - the Burnetts have been discussed on FJ before on several occasions, though in the last few years only really in the fundie weddings and fundie babies threads. They are very definitely fundie, are involved in IBLP, ATI etc and therefore run in those circles. Yes the girls (Abbie has four sisters including identical twins) wear trousers and are allowed to have jobs, but they're still fundie. They had a family blog I read regularly until they deleted it last year. 

(Apologies if this has all been said already - I was so surprised to hear the news I had to jump in with my comment before reading the rest of the thread!)

1 hour ago, habert said:

Put me in the camp that the second Jana is like “you know what I’d rather be married than anything else” she’ll have a bf in like 3 weeks flat. I mean, if the only thing she wants is to be married, she could find someone like yesterday. If they’re old and creepy and awful, they’re still there waiting for her to want marriage more than anything else. 

I think Jana is probably weighing options and her life (although not actually independent) has the most independence she ever has. She probably “wants” to be married and also double thinks about it a lot. What happens to her garden? How soon would she conceive? What if it’s twins? Etc etc probably run through her mind in ways that are dissonant to her upbringing and she probably has her ways of justifying it etc etc

the human mind is a little predictable, especially cult addled minds 

There are plenty of SAHD's who never find anyone and just keep aging, while taking care of Daddy and his brood. Some are quite attractive. So I don't know that that's true. Also, Jana seems very shy to me. Might make it harder to catch some dude's attention, especially when they aren't allowed to actively seek out someone or show they're interested. 

Women in such situations find their agency in other ways. Like being very outgoing, or displaying their "skills" (cooking, organizing, caring for kids) in an obvious way, where a potential mate can observe them. I can only imagine the gymnastics these women go through in order to catch a guy's attention without seeming like that's what they're trying to do. 

Hopefully Jana isn't actually interested in marrying some guy. 

1 minute ago, amendgitan said:

There are plenty of SAHD's who never find anyone and just keep aging, while taking care of Daddy and his brood. Some are quite attractive. So I don't know that that's true. Also, Jana seems very shy to me. Might make it harder to catch some dude's attention, especially when they aren't allowed to actively seek out someone or show they're interested. 

Women in such situations find their agency in other ways. Like being very outgoing, or displaying their "skills" (cooking, organizing, caring for kids) in an obvious way, where a potential mate can observe them. I can only imagine the gymnastics these women go through in order to catch a guy's attention without seeming like that's what they're trying to do. 

Hopefully Jana isn't actually interested in marrying some guy. 

But Jana has most likely caught many guys’ attention. She’s one of the most well known fundie girls in the US. She doesn’t need to do anything to catch a guy’s attention. 

This should forever be known as the day John-David Duggar broke the snarknet! Congrats to him!

***long time lurker, first time post***

23 minutes ago, freethemall said:

My predictions: if they're announcing their courtship now it probably means they've already been courting several months, so they'll announce an engagement in the next month and be married in October or November.

In the video JD says that they only met a couple months ago, fell in love really fast, and 'now' they're courting. So it sounds like the courtship just started. That said, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were engaged in the next month. Pretty sure Josiah and Lauren courted for less than two months before getting engaged. It seems like they had a longer 'getting to know you' period, but JD and Abbie are older so it probably evens out.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Am I the only one that thinks she looks like Lauren? I feel like they all look alike. 

I mean, when your hairstyle, wardrobe, and "countenance" are all dictated by the borg, you're gonna end up with a lot of very similar looking people.

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

what does it mean to talk like fundies?  

I'll admit I'm always most interested in if they say they will leave family planning up to G-d.  

"We are moving on to courtship ..."  "A lot of prayer, a lot of counsel ..."  Buzzwords.

2 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Lots of "physical closeness" in the video and photos. Arms around one another etc. 

I haven't seen all the photos yet, but side hugs are permitted. How about hand holding?  Or are they waiting for engagement for that.  Mind you, we do know that the Duggarlings are "allowed" to make their own choices about when to enjoy explicit hand sex.

Well, congratulations to J.D.  We can cross him off the eligible bachelor list now. 

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

But Jana has most likely caught many guys’ attention. She’s one of the most well known fundie girls in the US. She doesn’t need to do anything to catch a guy’s attention. 

Every fundie indeed knows her or knows of her. But there's a difference between being well known because you're on tv and being found a possible mate (by someone SHE is also attracted to), who sees them face to fact at one of the fundie events, especially if they are shy and retiring. 

There are a ton of women at the few events they go to each year, at which they can mingle with a lot of other singles. I don't think they have many opportunities to go to such events. Maybe what, four times per year? Normal women would be able to to walk up to a man they think is cute and talk to him. These women aren't supposed to do that. They have to maneuver themselves to stand out in the crowd. That's hard to do if you're shy. 

And so a guy who could be a possible match may not feel he has a chance or may not even notice her much, despite her fame. 

Some of the shyer of these women have had to wait years for a guy they liked to notice them. 

And since she can't go to "bahble" college or really work outside the home, her options are narrower than some. 

Just now, Mela99 said:

Is she a for real nurse nurse ? Wow

That's what I want to know. Is she actually licensed? Does she actually have a job? if so, I'm surprised. 

Will James or someone have to chaperone these two? At their age, can't they be trusted alone?

1 minute ago, amendgitan said:

That's what I want to know. Is she actually licensed? Does she actually have a job? if so, I'm surprised. 

She is a licensed LPN in Oklahoma and it is active. So she must work somewhere or worked? Her instagram is private

2 minutes ago, amendgitan said:

Every fundie indeed knows her or knows of her. But there's a difference between being well known because you're on tv and being found a possible mate (by someone SHE is also attracted to), who sees them face to fact at one of the fundie events, especially if they are shy and retiring. 

There are a ton of women at the few events they go to each year, at which they can mingle with a lot of other singles. I don't think they have many opportunities to go to such events. Maybe what, four times per year? Normal women would be able to to walk up to a man they think is cute and talk to him. These women aren't supposed to do that. They have to maneuver themselves to stand out in the crowd. That's hard to do if you're shy. 

And so a guy who could be a possible match may not feel he has a chance or may not even notice her much, despite her fame. 

Some of the shyer of these women have had to wait years for a guy they liked to notice them. 

And since she can't go to "bahble" college or really work outside the home, her options are narrower than some. 

None of her sisters seem to have any trouble finding a mate. I wouldn’t say Jinger is outgoing but she and Jeremy got together. They do go to weddings and other large fundie functions. And she could go to Big Sandy with her parents if she wanted to. 

I just thought if something. Maybe the twins Jed and Jer can marry the twins Carrina and Maggie!

Just kidding. I hope the twins stay single for a few more years.

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

None of her sisters seem to have any trouble finding a mate. I wouldn’t say Jinger is outgoing but she and Jeremy got together. They do go to weddings and other large fundie functions. And she could go to Big Sandy with her parents if she wanted to. 

Jill has basically an arranged marriage. Her dad set them up. Jessa and Joy are very outgoing. Jinger met Jeremy one on one at her house (not at a huge, crowded event) after he became friends with Ben, Jessa thought Jinger would like him, and he went to the Duggar home to visit. I'm pretty sure that was a set-up too. 

ETA: She can and has gone to Big Sandy. A quiet woman like her at a huge event like that would have trouble catching the real attention of a man she liked despite her fame. 

7 minutes ago, Angelic83 said:

She is a licensed LPN in Oklahoma and it is active. So she must work somewhere or worked? Her instagram is private

I don't know. It doesn't seem like she would have to work to become an LPN?: https://nursejournal.org/licensing/oklahoma-nursing-requirements/

10 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

At their age, can't they be trusted alone?

Oh hell no! Their loins are quivering harder than Jim Bob's do when Michelle is out of town for 24 hours! These two have been waiting on God like 33% longer than most fundies - they cannot be trusted for a second!

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Will James or someone have to chaperone these two? At their age, can't they be trusted alone?

These people are insane. They will absolutely have to be chaperoned!! It's so ridiculous! 

Just now, Nashville92 said:

That's the happiest I think I've ever seen him.  They seem well matched.  Good for them  :)

Yeah. He really looks like he digs her a lot. 

Wowzers wasn't expecting this at all! I was wondering when the next announcement for something would come though, with both Josiah's and Jinger's  big news dates approaching. But I did think it  would go to the boy twins for next courtship news. Poor Jana, the next nearest sibling in age for the much younger boy twins.

So who is gonna be the new Bachelor to the Rapture now? (Best line to ever come outta Counting On/19th Kids)

I was getting Sarah Reith vibes from her too, but I think it is just the similar hair really. So glad Abbie is near in age to JD and has some kind of education or job to fall back on if needed. I am interested to read on and learn more about her family background as well.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived