IGNORED

Dillards 54: Fantasyland Where Reality Isn't Required

Coconut Flan

I’ve used the Kirkland type canned chicken in salads. It’s not bad but that whole chicken looks disgusting.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, viii said:

From their website, it seems like they're gearing up towards international missionary work again. Poor Jill. 

Well, that's really their only option.  The US is expensive to live in, and people don't like to be asked to provide two able-bodied adults with a full US salary plus benefits.  So either Derick GETS A JOB with a paycheck for doing actual work and does the service he is called to on the side like many of their leghumpers do, or they Schrader it and move to a country where they can afford to live off donations and can disguise how little productivity they have.  

I was just reading through the revamped Dillard Family website. I know this subject gets covered here plenty but- every time I read one of these courtship stories, even one like the Dillards' that I've heard before, they simply AMAZE me. Jill says in their "About Us" page that her dad was telling her all about Derick and Derick all about her, she says she's googling him and praying... then one day she just "happened to walk in" while JB was on the phone with Derick and they finally talk for the first time, "however in the months following I didn't think much about him". I'll bet. :pb_rollseyes: The number of times in fundie courtship stories the girl is supposedly surprised or not thinking about the dude at all is ridiculous. One day she's praying that he might be the one, the next she's floored he wants to start a relationship, she had NO IDEA. If you really took fundie girls' courtship stories at face value they'd just be stories of apathy, not romance. Like, Jill's sure Derick's her one and only, but that story makes it sound like if she'd only "happened to to walk in" while her dad was on the phone with someone else she could be married to, I don't know, a real adult.

6 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

the Dillards updated their blog page and also they have a youtube channel now. oh my right now it's just a video of the boys but I can see it getting out of hand fast. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYFB_-RlE8d-4QuEEhv7zXA

Cute babies but Jill’s voice made my cat ditch me.

4 hours ago, freethemall said:

The "homemade" chicken n' dumplings with CANNED CHICKEN also sounds revolting.

CANNED CHICKEN!!! I miss @OkToBeTakei

Ok, I haven’t been reading here much lately so....imagine my surprise when I pop in to catch up and see cans giving birth to chickens!   

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

So either Derick GETS A JOB.  

Ha! Can you imagine! Thanks for this laugh, brightened my day.

2 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Ha! Can you imagine! Thanks for this laugh, brightened my day.

Jill might have an actual melt down if she wasn't able to be attached to derick 24/7.  I still think that was the main motivator for his leaving Walmart Jill couldn't stand the separation. 

I almost throw up with that recipe. Why can't fundies cook something healthy and savory? Between the Maxwells and the Duggars recipes i'm two seconds away from throwing up.

I'd never, ever heard of chicken in a can before. I was planning to cook something with chicken for tea tonight but there goes that idea - I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach chicken for a while after that! Good grief. 

I honestly don’t think he left Walmart because of Jill. I think Derick left Walmart because he just didn’t like working in an office. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with not doing well in an office. Not everyone is going to do well in an office setting, but the Dills should have had a better plan for providing for their family than grifting funds to harass the people of El Salvador. 

(I also think that Derick doesn’t really care much about other people's opinions. Again, that’s not always a bad thing, but if that includes your spouse and/or kids then it’s a problem. I get the feeling that Derick doesn’t always consider what’s best for his wife and/or sons when he decides something.)

The whole courtship story rings false. How do you go from googling someone to not thinking about them for months? 

For anyone looking for an actually good chicken broth recipe, check out Binging with Babish's recipe in the spoiler below. I made it, but I didn't have any parsley for the stock, so I added a ton of sage and thyme. I seared a bunch of thigh bones from when I needed boneless thighs the night before, but only had bone-in. It was... life changing. Amazing. The richest, deepest, most flavorful stock I've ever had. I could drink it with a straw. I will never use the pre-made stuff again. Granted it's a bit of a pain in the ass, but while it cooks on the stove for 4-12 hours (I did 9) the only prep is in the beginning of the day, so if you have a day at home you just have to check on it every couple of hours to see if it's boiling down too much.

Spoiler

I'm not generally one to judge on food choices, and maybe she likes it because she grew up on it, but the thought of canned chicken freaks me out. My mother grew up poor (the 9th child of a widowed factory worker), and had plain, cheap food such as "macaroni soup" (a couple cans chicken broth, a can of tomatoes, and a box of elbow macaroni- with canned chicken, if she was lucky). She's since branched out, but still remembers these meals fondly, because they were made with love. Jill likes tater-tot casserole and canned this and processed that because she grew up with it. Not sure if combining cream of crap soup with canned chicken merits a recipe on the blog, though. Unless it's under "recipes so easy you don't have to think, also has enough sodium to make your kidneys scream" section.

I still wouldn't make anything like that. I don't judge, but I won't choose to make it either.

@pandora have you checked out the Wallers’ courtship story? If not, head on over to davidlovespriscilla.com for some PEAK apathetic courtship. 

6 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

@pandora have you checked out the Wallers’ courtship story? If not, head on over to davidlovespriscilla.com for some PEAK apathetic courtship. 

Maybe this is why I’m single. When I’m interested in a guy I actually think about him....

48 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I have not read Pricilla's side of the story and am making my way through David's but this is a trip into WTF land. He really does like to name drop doesn't he. and poor cil not even knowing this guy likes her and then being told oh yeah I got this call from a guy who wants to court you. 

this line really messed with my mind

Having never dated any girls except my mom and sisters, it was super special to go out to a few restaurants during this time and share in many special memories

does anyone know if Mike Keller required the same two things from Josh as he did David because if so he really broke that internet one. 

18 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I have not read Pricilla's side of the story and am making my way through David's but this is a trip into WTF land. He really does like to name drop doesn't he. and poor cil not even knowing this guy likes her and then being told oh yeah I got this call from a guy who wants to court you. 

Having never dated any girls except my mom and sisters, it was super special to go out to a few restaurants during this time and share in many special memories

does anyone know if Mike Keller required the same two things from Josh as he did David because if so he really broke that internet one. 

The concept of dating one's parent or siblings is bewildering to me. I'm pretty sure if I told my dad that we were dating any time he and I went to a restaurant before I met DH, he'd think I'd gone stark raving mad. 

Perhaps Mike Keller's rules for prospective sons in law came about because of Josh? 

I was just reading the about us section on Derick and Jill's site. this part jumped out at me. 

When I was 16 years old I went through 12 weeks of childbirth classes with a single mom friend of mine as her support person.

I feel like I vaguely remember hearing about this. does anyone know who her friend was and how she came to gain permission to help a single pregnant woman at 16. that just seems like something the Duggar's would keep their pure snowflakes far away from. 

also I am finding this whole, her secretly listening to the phone conversations between her dad and Derick more then a little weird. 

her excitement about getting to ride in his car while  he was in Nepal was something odd to add to the story. 

34 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

When I was 16 years old I went through 12 weeks of childbirth classes with a single mom friend of mine as her support person.

I feel like I vaguely remember hearing about this. does anyone know who her friend was and how she came to gain permission to help a single pregnant woman at 16. that just seems like something the Duggar's would keep their pure snowflakes far away from. 

As far as I know the friend was never publicly identified but she was 14 years old.

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

My favorite part is where David really doesn’t have anyone he’s attracted to and doesn’t want to get married, but his mom calls him a chicken, so he does. 

My favorite part of Pris’s side is where she doesn’t actually feel anything either, so she prays and decides that actually means God wants her to get married. 

This is by far the best fundie marriage of a Keller daughter too. This marriage right here.  Because as bad as Josh is, Esther’s husband John is even worse. Just wanted to call that out. 

43 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I was just reading the about us section on Derick and Jill's site. this part jumped out at me. 

My guess is that the 'single mom friend' is Tyler's mom, who is her cousin.  You're right, there's no way they would let Jill hang around someone 'like that' otherwise.  

Just now, Georgiana said:

My favorite part is where David really doesn’t have anyone he’s attracted to and doesn’t want to get married, but his mom calls him a chicken, so he does. 

My favorite part of Pris’s side is where she doesn’t actually feel anything either, so she prays and decides that actually means God wants her to get married. 

This is by far the best fundie marriage of a Keller daughter too. This marriage right here.  Because as bad as Josh is, Esther’s husband John is even worse. Just wanted to call that out. 

he seemed to say he liked Cil but kept pushing it off. oh I'll wait until I'm 25 (using his brother's death as an excuse)  then oh I'll wait till 28 (Because that's when his dad married) I just can't fathom neither of them telling the other hey I  like you.   and all the Josh name dropping dude we get it you're related to Josh Duggar. 

52 minutes ago, emmeline said:

Perhaps Mike Keller's rules for prospective sons in law came about because of Josh? 

I'm sure it was.  I remember reading David's courtship saga and thinking 'whaaaaa?' when Pa Keller said David needed to be accountable to Pris for his internet usage.  It blew my mind that loving, honoring, and cherishing Pris didn't make the cut.  It made a lot more sense when Josh's crimes came to light...

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived