IGNORED

Dillards 54: Fantasyland Where Reality Isn't Required

Coconut Flan

19 hours ago, artdecades said:

Someone here used to have a canned chicken avatar and I think I adblocked it cuz it was so gross. 

That would be @OkToBeTakei.  I really miss her.  She'd never heard of canned chicken until she came to FJ.  She had various versions of "Steve" the canned chicken, but the one in the kilt was my favorite.

I've never bought Kirkland canned chicken but it is probably not as disgusting as the whole ones.

ETA.  Oops, I should have read ahead.  Someone else remembered OKTBT!

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, singsingsing said:

re: the apathy - this was actually a big trend in Christian courtship a few years ago, but it seems to have fallen out of fashion a bit now. Basically, apathy was proof that you were meek, modest, and obedient to God and your father. If you showed too much interest, you were forward and immodest. If you got too emotionally invested, you were giving away pieces of your heart. Claiming that you didn't think about the guy your dad wanted to set you up with for months is supposed to be proof of how much you trusted God with the relationship. I think Jill is just still stuck on the classic Christian courtship tropes.

This is sad but very accurate. It's almost word perfect for Michael (Bates) Keilen's courtship, except she waited over 3 years in silence. Here's a quote from her website:

"I had a crush bigger than I ever imagined possible, but I didn’t think I had the slightest chance of ever being noticed by him! I had purposed to not allow my feelings for him to be obvious, because I had seen many forward girls lure guys into a relationship. Instead, I wanted to pray and trust God and let Him guide both me and Brandon. At times this was hard, because I knew it was highly possible that we would never form a relationship. But at the same time, I knew if it was God’s will, I wanted Him to show it in a miraculous way that would leave us both in awe of His love for us."

7 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

This is sad but very accurate. It's almost word perfect for Michael (Bates) Keilen's courtship, except she waited over 3 years in silence. Here's a quote from her website:

"I had a crush bigger than I ever imagined possible, but I didn’t think I had the slightest chance of ever being noticed by him! I had purposed to not allow my feelings for him to be obvious, because I had seen many forward girls lure guys into a relationship. Instead, I wanted to pray and trust God and let Him guide both me and Brandon. At times this was hard, because I knew it was highly possible that we would never form a relationship. But at the same time, I knew if it was God’s will, I wanted Him to show it in a miraculous way that would leave us both in awe of His love for us."

it was always so strange to me that Micheal wanted Brandon so badly  she told her parents she wanted only him and wouldn't even consider anyone else. even though they really hadn't had many conversations over the years.  quote from her story

but I remember reminding my parents that they knew there was only one guy I ever wanted to marry and that I was simply not interested. 

reading Micheal's story I wonder if something similar could be going on with Jana she knows who she wants and won't accept anyone else. 

9 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

it was always so strange to me that Micheal wanted Brandon so badly  she told her parents she wanted only him and wouldn't even consider anyone else. even though they really hadn't had many conversations over the years.  quote from her story

but I remember reminding my parents that they knew there was only one guy I ever wanted to marry and that I was simply not interested. 

How is this NOT considered "giving away pieces of your heart"?? The guy had barely shown any interest in her, if at all, but she was so infatuated to the point that she told her parents she wouldn't entertain the idea of any other man. What.

13 hours ago, Georgiana said:

My favorite part is where David really doesn’t have anyone he’s attracted to and doesn’t want to get married, but his mom calls him a chicken, so he does. 

My favorite part of Pris’s side is where she doesn’t actually feel anything either, so she prays and decides that actually means God wants her to get married. 

This is by far the best fundie marriage of a Keller daughter too. This marriage right here.  Because as bad as Josh is, Esther’s husband John is even worse. Just wanted to call that out. 

So the husband and wife don’t love each other. What a fun marriage.

1 hour ago, geergirl said:

All the canned chicken talk reminded me of my grandpa.  As a child, it was always amusing how much he loathed chicken.  He would eat turkey!  Chicken was a hard no.  To me they were basically the same so it was an oddity.  Then I finally thought to ask why he hated chicken.  

When he was growing up on the farm, his father once arranged to sell chickens to the milk man (apparently also chicken dealer) in the fall.  They got a ton of chicks in the spring and raised chickens all summer.  When it was time to sell them to the milk man, he backed out of the deal and refused to take them.  I think it was partly out of stubbornness or spite but mostly to reduce their losses as much as possible, the family slaughtered and preserved all the chicken.  I can't imagine how long my great grandmother spent canning chicken.  They lived on chicken all winter.  Home canned chicken.  My grandpa never ate chicken again.

“Chicken dealer.” I love it. I’m imagining some sort of back alley deals. The chicken dealer waits in a dark alley for a customer. Once the customer arrives, the chicken dealer opens his trench coat to reveal 20 chickens strapped on the inside.

27 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

This also shows the opposite of Jill and Pricilla’s “oh I didn’t think about him.” She’s admitting to thinking of him and having feelings (even though she sat around and refused to do anything so she wouldn’t seem forward).

46 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Remembering Deviled Ham. With Mayo. Yum yum.

My mom made it with Miracle Whip. I still crave it to this day. 

2 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

How is this NOT considered "giving away pieces of your heart"?? The guy had barely shown any interest in her, if at all, but she was so infatuated to the point that she told her parents she wouldn't entertain the idea of any other man. What.

I agree. It's just good evidence that "giving away pieces of your heart" was never really about the "heart." Could it just be another method to keep women subserviant to the men in their lives? Noooooo..... (sarcasm)

To be clear, I'm sure many of these young women would still choose to hold out emotionally and/or physically for "the one," just like some women do in secular culture. The issue I'm attacking is that Michael, Jill, etc. were never given the choice.

I'm not a big canned meat person. Some canned soup with meat is okay, but the only canned fish dish I really like is called "Palta Reina" where I live, but it probably has other names in other places (queen avocado? stuffed avocado?). Pics beneath spoilers:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7d1fb0bae40f232d49ed5344bc58a29a.png

Spoiler

image.png.04a64303a73c8420bc52717cfe3b3013.png

The whole canned chickens gross me out so much everytime they come up here! I don't think I'm very easily grossed out though, so it's still for some reason fun to me. I can't say I miss any canned chicken avatars (although the "man food" pink gravy temporarily made me forget about them).

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I like both Miracle Whip and Mayo. But Mayo the best. Yum

Lovely. I thought it would be cooked chicken pieces you could use in a sandwich or salad. Thanks [mention=18504]HarleyQuinn[/mention]. I now know to stay away from it forever.
I buy canned chicken breast. It is chunk meat in broth. No skin no bones. Like canned Tuna.

I use canned chicken seasoned appropriately for tacos. I also use it as a short cut when making chicken pot pie or chicken vegetable soup.

2 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Growing up I never had mayo. I didn't even realize there was a difference between the two. I though MW was mayo. 

I grew up in New England with Cain's mayonnaise.  My mother mails it to me now that I moved away---I can't find it in stores here.

5 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Just no. Miracle Whip rules! I cannot stand mayo.

3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Growing up I never had mayo. I didn't even realize there was a difference between the two. I though MW was mayo. 

Heresy! Miracle Whip actually has flavor. Tangy goodness, yum!

5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Some people, like @SilverBeach here, are real purists. I am not. Meant to pick up some Deviled Ham at the store today, but forgot. Haven’t seen it at the store, but haven’t looked. Maybe it isn’t totally healthy, ha ha ha ha

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

re: the apathy - this was actually a big trend in Christian courtship a few years ago, but it seems to have fallen out of fashion a bit now. Basically, apathy was proof that you were meek, modest, and obedient to God and your father. If you showed too much interest, you were forward and immodest. If you got too emotionally invested, you were giving away pieces of your heart. Claiming that you didn't think about the guy your dad wanted to set you up with for months is supposed to be proof of how much you trusted God with the relationship. I think Jill is just still stuck on the classic Christian courtship tropes.

I could see this being a thing. It seems that picking one man and saying it's him or nothing is another version of that by pretty much doingvthe opposite. You "foresake all others" before he's even I retested in you because you trust in God that much. 

Ive noticed a trend right now is kinda having a princess in the tower feel. The girls seem to flaunt their "purity" as a way of flirting. Then they want prince charming to jump through hoops for them but once they get their perfect princess wedding day it's pretty much all down hill. The husband doesn't have to try, they no say in anything and they lose the "pureness" that made them feel special.

12 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Just no. Miracle Whip rules! I cannot stand mayo.

Heresy! Miracle Whip actually has flavor. Tangy goodness, yum!

Oh I prefer MW, but I didn't realize there was a difference as we never had mayo back then at our house. 

Miracle Whip only, but it can't be smeared directly on the sandwich. It has to be in the tuna salad, chicken salad, potato salad, egg salad, pasta salad, or deviled eggs. In other words, it can't be visible in its own form, or I won't eat it.

I also won't touch mannaze (that's how I grew up saying it) in anything.

talking about Duggar food can't help laughing that Jill played  "Hospital" by giving her siblings a dropper full of kool-aid:laughing-rollingyellow:

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

My secret occasional indulgence?  A can of Underwood white meat chicken spread.  

3 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

It sounds exactly like the journal of 12 year old me. The boy I had a crush on was the ONLY boy for me even though he never noticed me. But I grew up and moved on. Like most people.

13 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

that stuff is so good too. 

51 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

I could see this being a thing. It seems that picking one man and saying it's him or nothing is another version of that by pretty much doingvthe opposite. You "foresake all others" before he's even I retested in you because you trust in God that much. 

But what if God (cough, cough, or your dad) puts it on your heart that you're supposed to be with another man? Then what?

I can see how they twist Michael waiting around as this big beautiful sacrifice but to me it seems that it could also be twisted as someone focusing too much on a boy and not enough on God. I remember my middle school crushes-- I daydreamed about them in church! A girl with a really young emotional age and a boy to moon over-- I guess I see why they like the apathy.

Who knows if the brunt of Jill and Derrick's problems stem from the fact that she woke up one day and was like, "Uh, I'm not crushing on you anymore."

22 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I think Underwood makes the Deviled Ham!!!! Praise the Lord!!

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived