IGNORED

Dillards 54: Fantasyland Where Reality Isn't Required

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Er, what on earth was David's burnt piece of paper about? :dontgetit:

I think he wrote a letter  on it and memorized it reciting it by heart and then handed it to her at the end because at the bottom it asked if she'd marry him. 

this little gem made my head spin a bit. 

and if need be die for the cause of Christ? 

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Didn't a few Duggar friends get after her for posting their photos in the past?

The sad thing about her page to me is that most people there probably don't realize there are alternatives to Duggar snark. I've noticed from lurking on reddit she has a really shitty reputation there too.

Does she post on Reddit or they just talk shit on her?  I find Reddit ok in small doses.  The format bothers me.  It's all over the place with too many posters for my brain to handle. 

18 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

My guess is that the 'single mom friend' is Tyler's mom, who is her cousin.  You're right, there's no way they would let Jill hang around someone 'like that' otherwise.  

I hadn't stopped to think of that but you're right, the dates match up with the story.

13 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I hadn't stopped to think of that but you're right, the dates match up with the story.

Thanks for checking this. It sounded right to me too, and I know it's not confirmed, but what an interesting possibility. That story about Jill supporting a teen single mom always stuck out to me as surprising, but this makes it sound like more of the same old "Jill was a perfect daughter in a Gothardite family" narrative.

6 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I’ve used the Kirkland type canned chicken in salads. It’s not bad but that whole chicken looks disgusting.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses Kirkland's canned chicken. I make a chicken salad for sandwiches with mayo, almond slivers, chopped celery, and Craisins. If I'm feeling particularly wild I'll add in sliced grapes. :-)

7 hours ago, Karma said:

FJ hasn’t been the same since @OkToBeTakei stopped posting...and we stopped seeing Steve the canned chicken!  Image under spoiler because it’s breakfast time in Australia!

Reveal hidden contents

F4940C7E-9F03-4241-83B3-D11BB5B76F5A.thumb.jpeg.3e68582f43903beddfdf16546fd89781.jpeg

STEVE!!!!

7 hours ago, Inky said:

This canned chicken reminds me of the episode on M*A*S*H when Winchester got the gourmet food from home, and shared the canned chicken with Margaret - they both ended up with food poisoning!

That's what I remember, except I think that it was canned pheasant--a bit more la di dah.

Yes, good ole Steve!  I think he sported a kilt once in a while, didn't he? To cover up all those nasty naked canned chicken bits?

I've gotten the impression that the Duggar girls have been encouraged to minister to ~fallen women~~ like single moms and show them how to be chaste, dutiful and godly like themselves. Rewarding them for "choosing life" and all that. That's probably what Jinger is doing at Jeremy's doinky pregnancy center, for instance.

1 minute ago, nickelodeon said:

I've gotten the impression that the Duggar girls have been encouraged to minister to ~fallen women~~ like single moms and show them how to be chaste, dutiful and godly like themselves. Rewarding them for "choosing life" and all that. That's probably what Jinger is doing at Jeremy's doinky pregnancy center, for instance.

Jeremy has a pregnancy center? 

5 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Jeremy has a pregnancy center? 

His church does, yes. Grace Pregnancy Center. It is located inside of the church.

46 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Yup, it's called Grace Pregnancy Center and it offers helpful healthcare services like "sharing the gospel with every client", "promoting life affirming choices", and "promoting sexual abstinence until marriage." They are apparently open one day a week for 4 hours so they must be keeping Jinger really busy.

That "promoting sexual abstinence until marriage" service must be really helpful for any unmarried, pregnant women who stop in.

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

That "promoting sexual abstinence until marriage" service must be really helpful for any unmarried, pregnant women who stop in.

Promoting sexual abstinence before marriage is probably not useful in general for a pregnancy clinic. If they are married and pregnant, great, no problem, if not, the sexual abstinence is not really gonna help lol. 

7 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Does she post on Reddit or they just talk shit on her?  I find Reddit ok in small doses.  The format bothers me.  It's all over the place with too many posters for my brain to handle. 

I don't believe she posts there but the posters I have seen mention her all seem to hate her too.

9 hours ago, takers401 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses Kirkland's canned chicken. I make a chicken salad for sandwiches with mayo, almond slivers, chopped celery, and Craisins. If I'm feeling particularly wild I'll add in sliced grapes. :-)

I have used that before. It is just fine for things like chicken salads, but a whole chicken --- yuck. 

10 hours ago, takers401 said:

Try adding a tiny pinch of curry powder to chicken salad, especially if you get wild and add grapes).  It adds that little unidentifiable something, but makes it extra delicious.

Maybe abstinence until marriage is like Luanne on King of the Hill becoming a "born-again virgin".

19 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I didn't even know chicken came in a can, that's vile.

usually I'm understanding of uneducated cooking because I grew up with that too and it's hard to learn to cook healthier but that's TOO FAR haha

All the canned chicken talk reminded me of my grandpa.  As a child, it was always amusing how much he loathed chicken.  He would eat turkey!  Chicken was a hard no.  To me they were basically the same so it was an oddity.  Then I finally thought to ask why he hated chicken.  

When he was growing up on the farm, his father once arranged to sell chickens to the milk man (apparently also chicken dealer) in the fall.  They got a ton of chicks in the spring and raised chickens all summer.  When it was time to sell them to the milk man, he backed out of the deal and refused to take them.  I think it was partly out of stubbornness or spite but mostly to reduce their losses as much as possible, the family slaughtered and preserved all the chicken.  I can't imagine how long my great grandmother spent canning chicken.  They lived on chicken all winter.  Home canned chicken.  My grandpa never ate chicken again.

19 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Maybe abstinence until marriage is like Luanne on King of the Hill becoming a "born-again virgin".

Seriously, I think that's what it is. They're really big on the whole born again virgin thing. They know that most people are going to have sex, so they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they rejected everyone who ever had premarital/extramarital sex. So they encourage them to commit or recommit to abstinence until they're married, and work their past sins into a shiny new super cool testimony.

Do you think Jill's interest in Derrick stemmed from her father's interest? Like, oh, I like him since Daddy likes him. And then she was able to project all the daydreams and feelings of the perfect future husband on Derrick.

The apathy is weird and it's strange that they're so upfront about it. You would think they would say they were head over heels in love once God "opened their heart".

14 minutes ago, geergirl said:

All the canned chicken talk reminded me of my grandpa.  As a child, it was always amusing how much he loathed chicken.  He would eat turkey!  Chicken was a hard no.  To me they were basically the same so it was an oddity.  Then I finally thought to ask why he hated chicken.  

When he was growing up on the farm, his father once arranged to sell chickens to the milk man (apparently also chicken dealer) in the fall.  They got a ton of chicks in the spring and raised chickens all summer.  When it was time to sell them to the milk man, he backed out of the deal and refused to take them.  I think it was partly out of stubbornness or spite but mostly to reduce their losses as much as possible, the family slaughtered and preserved all the chicken.  I can't imagine how long my great grandmother spent canning chicken.  They lived on chicken all winter.  Home canned chicken.  My grandpa never ate chicken again.

That's like my grandpa and brown bread.  In WW2 he got nothing but really coarse brown bread, so now he's 96 and he refuses anything but white bread.  No rye bread, whole wheat, sourdough, nothing.  Just plain, standard white bread.  My grandma jumped on the 'brown bread is healthier' train, grandpa is disgusted, but tolerates it being in the house because she still buys him his white sandwich bread.

1 minute ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Do you think Jill's interest in Derrick stemmed from her father's interest? Like, oh, I like him since Daddy likes him. And then she was able to project all the daydreams and feelings of the perfect future husband on Derrick.

The apathy is weird and it's strange that they're so upfront about it. You would think they would say they were head over heels in love once God "opened their heart".

Yes. She basically said as much at her wedding. While they were waiting to walk down the aisle, she turned to Jim Bob and said (paraphrasing here), "I said I wanted a man like my dad. You told me he's good, so he must be good!"

re: the apathy - this was actually a big trend in Christian courtship a few years ago, but it seems to have fallen out of fashion a bit now. Basically, apathy was proof that you were meek, modest, and obedient to God and your father. If you showed too much interest, you were forward and immodest. If you got too emotionally invested, you were giving away pieces of your heart. Claiming that you didn't think about the guy your dad wanted to set you up with for months is supposed to be proof of how much you trusted God with the relationship. I think Jill is just still stuck on the classic Christian courtship tropes.

30 minutes ago, geergirl said:

My grandfather lived on a chicken farm in the depression.  After WW2 he never eat chicken again.  It was weird as a kid, but now it totally makes sense.

I won't eat canned meat, poultry, or fish.  The photos generously provided above, of chicken in a can, have reinforced this.

34 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

re: the apathy - this was actually a big trend in Christian courtship a few years ago, but it seems to have fallen out of fashion a bit now. Basically, apathy was proof that you were meek, modest, and obedient to God and your father. If you showed too much interest, you were forward and immodest. If you got too emotionally invested, you were giving away pieces of your heart. Claiming that you didn't think about the guy your dad wanted to set you up with for months is supposed to be proof of how much you trusted God with the relationship. I think Jill is just still stuck on the classic Christian courtship tropes.

This is so sad. You're committing to spend the rest of your life with someone - who you can never separate from or divorce, in their religion - and you don't even know them. :( I often wonder how much of the ever-smiling, ever-supportive fundie wife is genuine vs just "keeping sweet."

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived