IGNORED

Dillards 54: Fantasyland Where Reality Isn't Required

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Traipsing around Guadalajara with the attached barnacle pretending to do the Lord's work.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making FJ and college students cringe since 2018 (okay, for us it was far earlier..)

@Carm_88 I don't know what its like in Canada, but there is certainly prejudice against Indigenous Australians here.  My understanding is that for both the indigenous populations of Australia and Canada there are systemic problems relating to the abuse that occured when the children were taken away from their parents and institutionalised are causing intergenerational issues.  There are certainly a number of Indigenous Australians who are doing quite well, however there are also a number who aren't.  The people that aren't doing as well for themselves are probably more visible which is perpetuating the prejudices (that and the prejudices that people grow up with and obtain from society around them).  Additionally I don't think the way either the Government or Media handles things helps...

1 hour ago, Someone Out There said:

@Carm_88 I don't know what its like in Canada, but there is certainly prejudice against Indigenous Australians here.  My understanding is that for both the indigenous populations of Australia and Canada there are systemic problems relating to the abuse that occured when the children were taken away from their parents and institutionalised are causing intergenerational issues.  There are certainly a number of Indigenous Australians who are doing quite well, however there are also a number who aren't.  The people that aren't doing as well for themselves are probably more visible which is perpetuating the prejudices (that and the prejudices that people grow up with and obtain from society around them).  Additionally I don't think the way either the Government or Media handles things helps...

That sounds pretty similar to how it is here in Canada, at least in Manitoba.  Residential Schools are are a very recent memory for some people here.  The last one closed in 1996.

I think part of the problem is that nothing ever gets reported about the hard working, successful First Nations people.  It's not going to sell as many newspapers or get as much air/screen time as something horrible, and that reinforces the stereotypes in people's minds.  

@Someone Out There Yeah, that's pretty well summed up. Definitely a lot of work to be done for First Nations people, some of the First Nations will have to work on themselves and the same goes for the racist/prejudice people. Lots of soul searching on all ends. 

Can I just say that we do not need the spiritual advising of the Dillards? :P 

@nastyhobbitses, @HarryPotterFan @luv2laugh....thank you for your inputs! In my (quite recent) awareness of present anti_Semitism (particularly left-wing) it is difficult to separate all the forms that anti-Semitism takes from legitimate criticism of the state of Israel and other privileges/prejudices that (some) Jewish people hold. There was a BDS debacle at my school a few years ago and it was a horrible mess. Everything from erasure of POC Jews, to those claiming anything said against Israeli government was anti-Semitism, to actual anti-Semitism being ignored, to doxxing activists as well as anti-Semitic doxxing and unfair ostracizing. I'm sorry y'all have to go through things like this. Especially, with the whole Palestine-Israeli conflicted being such a polarizing and loaded issue right now. And also just plain ol' anti-Semitism that never went away but for some reason, America thinks it resolved.

@Carm_88 I'm very familiar with the boondoggle of a mega project you were describing and it made me laugh to see it referenced on FJ. 

Racism against First Peoples is so prevalent here and it's scary how culturally acceptable and internalized it is. I don't think a lot of people even realize the biases that they have. It's difficult though because there really are no easy answers, how do you fix the tragedies of a centuries worth of systemic abuse?

15 hours ago, Nargus said:

That sounds pretty similar to how it is here in Canada, at least in Manitoba.  Residential Schools are are a very recent memory for some people here.  The last one closed in 1996.

I think part of the problem is that nothing ever gets reported about the hard working, successful First Nations people.  It's not going to sell as many newspapers or get as much air/screen time as something horrible, and that reinforces the stereotypes in people's minds.  

I wish the people who complain would remember that it probably is going to take a community more than 20 years or so to recover from what amounted to cultural genocide. The attendant problems aren't going to disappear overnight. The rest of society can't really complain about that. Like, yes, congratulations, this is what your policies did, and now you have to live with the consequences. 

At least Canada and Australia are kind of trying, though. There's not much time devoted in schools here to the similar antics of the British Empire in similar ways, though granted it would take up a lot of time. Policy aside, the awareness of it all is probably a lot lower.

On 2018-03-23 at 12:20 AM, Nargus said:

God, yes, this.  Totally aside from the very real issues FN people as a whole deal with, I find CBC's The National unwatchable because literally every episode has a "feel pity for the alcoholic/sex worker/homeless/crack addicted FN people of Canada" piece.  It's gross-faux-liberalism.  There are so many successful FN-run governments, agencies and businesses.  I meet successful FN people all the time at my job but I rarely see people like them shown respectfully on TV. 

8 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

God, yes, this.  Totally aside from the very real issues FN people as a whole deal with, I find CBC's The National unwatchable because literally every episode has a "feel pity for the alcoholic/sex worker/homeless/crack addicted FN people of Canada" piece.  It's gross-faux-liberalism.  There are so many successful FN-run governments, agencies and businesses.  I meet successful FN people all the time at my job but I rarely see people like them shown respectfully on TV. 

The coverage of the Stanley trial was certainly interesting in what was said and what was not.  When you learn more about the individuals involved (and the connections) on Reddit than you do from the CBC something is wrong.  And the Reddit stuff was actually legit.  It was just somebody taking the time to compile information from publicly available sources.  Journalism, basically.

So why is Pickles slobbing all over dWRECK's knob on Twitter trying to arrange a meeting between him and Jazz? Even in jest this is weird.

29542464_1525238964241574_12595090282377

6 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So why is Pickles slobbing all over dWRECK's knob on Twitter trying to arrange a meeting between him and Jazz? Even in jest this is weird.

this is just creepy to be honest.  Pickles seems a bit off her hinges. 

Pickles seems desperate for attention.

Just now, SportsgalAnnie said:

Like really does she think she has that much pull to set all that up give me a break. :laughing-rollingyellow:

I think she's desperate to be the Dugger's savior. She wants to be their friend and make them liberals. This is troubling tbh. 

Like I said in another post, Pickles thinks she has a very, very big job to do. We must respect her and take her very, very seriously.

She needs to step back. This is just creepy. Why on earth would Jazz or any of the Parkland survivors have any desire to meet Derick Dillard? WTF? I know Pickles thinks she's a way bigger deal than she is, but only now am I realizing that she also thinks the Duggars are a WAY bigger deal than they are! Wow.

I don't think there's anything to gain from Wreck and Jazz meeting either. He's not going to change his beliefs, and he's only going to passive aggressively bully here. 

5 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Jazz will not meet DWreck. She is very young. Pickles is a nutbag. 

Also Jazz is pretty smart and tough.

Holy crap on a cracker.  Pickles now thinks she is mighty enough to 1) arrange three separate meetings for Dwreck 2) that any of the people would want to meet with each other and 3) that she can raise enough money to pay for Dwreck to travel?  This is a sign of the end times right?

49 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

this is just creepy to be honest.  Pickles seems a bit off her hinges. 

She is losing her mind!

57 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

A Derwood fan girl?

To be honest I'm surprised Pickles hasn't got a restraining order or something sometimes. They come across as the sort of crazy person that would travel to Arkansas and harass them.

Also, I suspect Jazz would have a support network (and possibly people from TLC) that have said do not make contact in situations like this. I'm not familiar with Jazz and everything that went on with Derek so I won't really go into that, but I would expect someone would step in before any form of meeting happened.

47 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

This is way beyond desperate for attention.  It's divorced from reality.  

Why should a child meet the person who publicly abused and tried to humiliate them?  In what world do you think that this is anything but disrespectful and troubling?  It reminds me of this old man judge I once appeared before who wanted to sentence a domestic abuser to volunteer at the women's shelter.  It's so utterly disrespectful and thoughtless about the victim.  

3 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

To be honest I'm surprised Pickles hasn't got a restraining order or something sometimes. They come across as the sort of crazy person that would travel to Arkansas and harass them.

Also, I suspect Jazz would have a support network (and possibly people from TLC) that have said do not make contact in situations like this. I'm not familiar with Jazz and everything that went on with Derek so I won't really go into that, but I would expect someone would step in before any form of meeting happened.

I agree I don't watch Jazz but isn't she still a young teen? I would hope no one in her life would let her meet a nut bag like Derick who would just rip her down. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived