IGNORED

Dillards 54: Fantasyland Where Reality Isn't Required

Coconut Flan

33 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Man whoever made this page for them did a shoddy job editing, when you click on the picture of Jill for "Recipes" towards the bottom of the main page it takes you to "Life Matters" instead.

Also for the homemade chicken bone broth, she adds vinegar or lemon juice or something acidic - is that a thing? I've never done that when I've made homemade broth. What I do add is plenty of veggie scraps (onion skins, garlic, carrots, anything, it's a good way to use up scraps and add flavor) and herbs because otherwise it'll be super bland, she adds none of that. She mentions "you can add whatever seasonings you want" which sounds like seasoning it afterwards, rather than during, since it's in the final step.

The "homemade" chicken n' dumplings with CANNED CHICKEN also sounds revolting.

These people really do not know how to cook!

Canned chicken?? Yuck. I've seen that on Chopped and it is revolting. 

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Canned chicken?? Yuck. I've seen that on Chopped and it is revolting. 

I didn't even know chicken came in a can, that's vile.

usually I'm understanding of uneducated cooking because I grew up with that too and it's hard to learn to cook healthier but that's TOO FAR haha

1 minute ago, Daisy0322 said:

You can google it but be prepared to ---- 

11 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I wonder if Derick is applying to ministry jobs now.

From their website, it seems like they're gearing up towards international missionary work again. Poor Jill. 

For anyone interested in what canned chicken looks like, there's a gif for that!

Spoiler

tumblr_mfv5la9gL11ra1sh2o1_400.gif

Lovely. I thought it would be cooked chicken pieces you could use in a sandwich or salad. Thanks @HarleyQuinn. I now know to stay away from it forever.

There are also shelf-stable bagged cooked chicken pieces. I've eaten them exactly once, while camping. Everything tastes better while camping, but they were still only tolerable.

Yes, adding some vinegar helps leach out the minerals, it's optional.You don't have to.I have a friend and she used to to drink bone broth and sell it.She'd get bones from grass-fed beef,not sure about the chicken and turkey bones.I'm too lazy to make my own,but I did try hers,once.I just couldn't see paying for something,I could make myself,a lot cheaper.

There are two types of canned chicken. (Sadly, I was in this discussion, on a Bates thread about a year ago.) I used the vile, disgusting can show by@HarleyQuinn once, when a recipe for shredded chicken sandwiches called for it. Never again, although I will use that recipe with real chicken. I don't know which was worse- the vile odor or the slimy texture as I pulled the chicken out of the can.

There's also the cooked, cubed chicken that comes in approximately 10 oz cans. It isn't great, but, living in an area that we could experience a terrible earthquake and not have services for weeks/a month or two, it does work well in an emergency food kit, along with canned tuna, spam, peanut butter, canned fruit, and other cans and packages of things that don't need to be heated.

I thought when she mentioned canned chicken she meant the kind that's closer to canned tuna, still icky but not as nauseating as the gif above:

image.png.ee0ff41155b0d82252a64b76f92af119.png

I just don't understand - why go the effort of making homemade broth but not making the chicken n dumplings with homemade/self-cooked chicken and white sauce? Why not just use the leftover chicken you used from the broth to make the chicken n dumplings, and if you already have the flour out to make homemade dumplings than throw together a basic roux with some milk and bam, a bit more work but way healthier and better-tasting. Or better yet, cook the chicken into the dumplings and then use the leftover chicken bones for the broth, just change the order!

When the canned chicken was first mentioned, my first thought was that avatar of the canned chicken (can't think who it is now). I had successfully blocked the memory of that image up to now. That pic was the vilest thing, even worse than those pics already posted here. Or maybe it was the shocked value of it though, as that was the first time I heard of canned chicken, let alone seen it. 

FJ hasn’t been the same since @OkToBeTakei stopped posting...and we stopped seeing Steve the canned chicken!  Image under spoiler because it’s breakfast time in Australia!

Spoiler

F4940C7E-9F03-4241-83B3-D11BB5B76F5A.thumb.jpeg.3e68582f43903beddfdf16546fd89781.jpeg

That canned chicken is nauseating. 

I know the Duggars never really made sense with their cooking, but I would think they could buy a huge bag of frozen chicken and cook it in the crockpot all day. Less nauseating, less work, and probably cheaper in the long run- exactly why they didn't do it then, I suppose. 

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

You can google it but be prepared to ---- 

Yes, it is most sadly a thing and is sold in the tuna isle. I ended up with a can when I wasn't paying attention and did end up trying it. Expecting it to be disgusting, it did not disappoint. 

51 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Live footage from the Duhlard household

Hide contents

1258099325_canned_chicken.gif

Clucking hell. :wtsf:

This canned chicken reminds me of the episode on M*A*S*H when Winchester got the gourmet food from home, and shared the canned chicken with Margaret - they both ended up with food poisoning!

27 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Karma, thanks for mentioning @OkToBeTakei!  You're right.  FJ isn't quite the same with our her!

Aw yeah!!! Where is she? We gotta get her back here!

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

An FJer had a picture of a canned chicken as an avatar and you are correct, it IS vile.  I'm going to hide this pic; it's pretty gross, but you know you want to look: 

Spoiler

Screenshot 2018-03-27 at 5.06.44 PM.png

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived