IGNORED

Dillards 54: Fantasyland Where Reality Isn't Required

Coconut Flan

We did progressive dinners as part of church youth group around Christmas time when I was in high school.  Different church members along a route would volunteer to provide food (usually was a parent or grandparent of one of the kids) and we would go along the route singing carols at the houses of local seniors.  Food would happen every 5 houses or so?  The night would end at the local seniors home for carols and hot chocolate.

We did fast food smorgs in high school too, but they were usually a burger from Wendy's, McDonalds fries, A&W onion rings, and a Dairy Queen Blizzard, and then we would sit in the movie theater parking lot and chow down before going to a movie.  That was more because we had literally nothing of the sort in the small town I was from, so when we went into the 'big city' an hour away on a Friday night, we went all out.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, TatiFish9 said:

About Pickles, LoL, there is quite the beef between here and there! Anyway, Pickles is a lying hypocrite from my experience. I guess her sex is not important, but I have taken her to be male for so long. I also don't buy the small town teacher who is passionate about fighting against what the Duggars represent. The page has always seemed personal to me, no matter how wild it has gotten. It reeks of a rejected party. Of course the brand has taken a life of its own. Lots of pressure now to perform. Too much hate over there for my taste.

I left pickles page because she posted pro-Palestine and  political stuff. She  doesn't know much about pop culture or things that younger people know. She has a more old-ish cultural reference point. She had some post about orbs, which was different.  Things started getting crazy when she started focusing on her own viewpoints and stopped talking about the duggars.  It was  satire and fair use and then became all kinds of things. She started sticking up for sierra, the party planner, which was different. My husband even laughed about the meeting with Derek, Jazz and a priest.  I still don't know what is going on there with this meeting. I don't think priests have time to meet with TV people.

55 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Also, don't rule out food trucks if your city has them!  It can be fun to swing by a truck and grab a snack to mack on while you're walking to your next place!  It's basically a fun way to get a feel for cuisine in a way you don't have to commit to.  You can try new things and branch out, because if you hate it, there's always the next place!  

Your comment reminded me of my last trip to Hawaii with my son.  We stayed in Waikiki and one night we walked a few blocks over to where a bunch of food trucks were parked.  It was fun to pick out what looked best to each of us, and after dinner, we got ice cream from one of the trucks.  

56 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Don't all ~mommy blogs~ basically rip each other off for recipes and stuff like Jill? I frequently see the same recipe hosted on different blogs (though usually with original photography and an original 5000-word essay about how good the recipe tastes.)

Also, who wore it better?

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_l6rpbezf2Q1qzlpzc.gif

Recipes are basically a ripoff always, one of the reasons you can't copyright or trademark it to the point no one else can use it.  Sometimes you get paid to share the same recipe or you get paid to feature product x but there's a whole host of parameters so there are basically two things you can make that fit the requirements.  The 5000 word essay is so Google doesn't see it as duplicate content.  The big kicker is the photos.  Jill clearly doesn't want anyone using her photos but she's OK with stealing someone else's photos.  

What Jill should have done was posted her version of the recipe with "adapted from xxxx" with a link to the original recipe if she didn't change much.  If she truly made it her own then she wouldn't need the adapted from.  She should have also posted her own photos of the dish.  Recipes are tricky from a copyright standpoint because everyone makes something similar.  

The ones where she just copied and pasted the entire blog post could actually get her in big trouble.  Depending on the owner of the blog she stole from, they could and should file a DMCA with Jill's host and get either the post removed or her entire website removed depending on how many complaints the host gets.  The original owner could also sue for copyright infringement and loss of revenue as I mentioned before.  

I know a lot of people look down on "mommy bloggers" but it's hard work.  A lot of time and money goes into building a successful site.  It's a business for them.  Jill has a built in following thanks to the show and I get she's trying to monetize that following with her blog and social media but she's doing it the laziest way possible by stealing content.

16 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Recipes are basically a ripoff always, one of the reasons you can't copyright or trademark it to the point no one else can use it.  Sometimes you get paid to share the same recipe or you get paid to feature product x but there's a whole host of parameters so there are basically two things you can make that fit the requirements.  The 5000 word essay is so Google doesn't see it as duplicate content.  The big kicker is the photos.  Jill clearly doesn't want anyone using her photos but she's OK with stealing someone else's photos.  

What Jill should have done was posted her version of the recipe with "adapted from xxxx" with a link to the original recipe if she didn't change much.  If she truly made it her own then she wouldn't need the adapted from.  She should have also posted her own photos of the dish.  Recipes are tricky from a copyright standpoint because everyone makes something similar.  

The ones where she just copied and pasted the entire blog post could actually get her in big trouble.  Depending on the owner of the blog she stole from, they could and should file a DMCA with Jill's host and get either the post removed or her entire website removed depending on how many complaints the host gets.  The original owner could also sue for copyright infringement and loss of revenue as I mentioned before.  

I know a lot of people look down on "mommy bloggers" but it's hard work.  A lot of time and money goes into building a successful site.  It's a business for them.  Jill has a built in following thanks to the show and I get she's trying to monetize that following with her blog and social media but she's doing it the laziest way possible by stealing content.

I'm truly not shocked.  Not only do many of these "Perfect Christian" types believe that to some extent they DESERVE to be able to profit off those less perfectly Christian than themselves (there are a whole lot of pretty blatant scams in fundiedom, MLMs, and it appears that taking money for nothing is very acceptable to them), Jill doesn't know HOW to produce original content.  She's never been asked to.  She's always been asked to follow others and parrot what they tell her.  I would bet dollars to donuts that Michelle never checked for plagiarizing or discussed where the line is crossed.  I would bet she came very close to encouraging them to copy/paste research because "what's the harm? they found the information and learned it, right?".  I don't think that Jill understands that what she is doing is STEALING.  

But it is.  She's more than likely going to get deserved flack for this, which will be confusing and stressful for her as she probably doesn't understand WHY what she's done is WRONG.  Like a child, she needs someone to walk her through and give her the instruction she never received.  But she's not a child.  She's an adult, and unless she seeks out education, she's on her own.  

The world must be a scary and hostile place to Jill Duggar Dillard.  

4 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Guys in uniform are just hot in general. Even if it's hospital scrubs or mucked up coveralls. I hated the military life, but ohhh Class A uniforms!!

Tell me about it! There's just something about those Class As. Now, as a Navy wife, I HATED the trop whites and the dress whites. Dress blues, oh hell yeah. I don't have any pics of hubs in his class As but there's some pics of my son in his Army class As...My father was Air Force and swore that his Class As were just like a Greyhound bus driver's uniform. He used to put them on, salute and say "and leave the driving to us"...but he wasn't quite right in the head...

17 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Aaaaand there's Jill's inner monologue. 

Re their Easter picture: Jill looks lovely and that shirt color and style really suits her. Let's go shopping, Jill. I'll make you the jeans-wearing hippie goddess you were born to be. Izzy looks like he's up to something, which is as it should be for an energetic three-year-old. Sam looks like he can't wait for the boozy gossipy postmortem he's going to have with fellow Resting WTF Face Fundie Babies Davia and Gideon. Derick should beg TLC to pay for a tailor. 

The post mortem thing made me think of Buzzfeed unsolved. 

Also, I do sometimes get food from different places for the same meal. One place in my hometown has The BEST fries, so I'll get them and chicken from somewhere else. It's in a mall foodcourt.

6 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Guys in uniform are just hot in general. Even if it's hospital scrubs or mucked up coveralls. I hated the military life, but ohhh Class A uniforms!!

It’s the flight suits that do it for me...

I have nothing of importance to add, other than to say that I’ve been working on a module for my statistics class this semester, and I have another semester to look forward to this summer while working a senior management level job and raising a family. 

These fools need to get a damn job, further their education (or both) and make an effing meaningful contribution to society. 

(Numbers make me grouchy. Letters and numbers together with graphs make me crazier than a shit house rat.)

21 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I'm truly not shocked.  Not only do many of these "Perfect Christian" types believe that to some extent they DESERVE to be able to profit off those less perfectly Christian than themselves (there are a whole lot of pretty blatant scams in fundiedom, MLMs, and it appears that taking money for nothing is very acceptable to them), Jill doesn't know HOW to produce original content.  She's never been asked to.  She's always been asked to follow others and parrot what they tell her.  I would bet dollars to donuts that Michelle never checked for plagiarizing or discussed where the line is crossed.  I would bet she came very close to encouraging them to copy/paste research because "what's the harm? they found the information and learned it, right?".  I don't think that Jill understands that what she is doing is STEALING.  

But it is.  She's more than likely going to get deserved flack for this, which will be confusing and stressful for her as she probably doesn't understand WHY what she's done is WRONG.  Like a child, she needs someone to walk her through and give her the instruction she never received.  But she's not a child.  She's an adult, and unless she seeks out education, she's on her own.  

The world must be a scary and hostile place to Jill Duggar Dillard.  

I think that's what pisses me off the most.  If Jill was just some rando who didn't know and was just starting out there are tons of us bloggers who would send her a little email and let her know.  Many of us would be happy to help her.  The problem is she should know better than most of us.  She's worked in the entertainment industry.  She didn't learn anything during all those years?  Didn't overhear anything?

51 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

The post mortem thing made me think of Buzzfeed unsolved

I love Buzzfeed unsolved! Always fun to find other fans.

Edit: clarity 

We do "car dates". At bed time (7:30) we pack the baby up and get in the car. Daisy Sprout sleeps in the back while we talk/ listen to music/ eat/ etc. we don't have many willing babysitters and we can afford to hire one so we make do. His mom is an alcoholic, his dad has a "new family" and my mom just isnt interested usually and complains when we get back and we're both only children sooooo car dates it is 9/10 times.

16 minutes ago, PigtailHeadband said:

I love Buzzfeed unsolved! Always fun to find other fans.

Edit: clarity 

I'd love to see Shane and Ryan interview the Duggars. Ryan's reactions to Derick alone would be hilarious.

• Jellybean locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked this topic

Archived