IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 5: Married!

Destiny

On 9/10/2017 at 1:39 PM, sparklymagie said:

I was going to say the exact same thing: we have the discussion for pages and pages and pages for every single couple who has gotten married.

I'm not trying to stop the discussion, but its been had so much that I can predict the course of the conversation: 

1. A bunch of people (mostly Northerners and people of Italian descent)  will talk about how they have never heard of a wedding without a full meal, preferably a sit down. 

2. A bunch of people will respond that Southerners usually have cake and punch receptions. 

3. Some people will respond that only religious Southerners have cake and punch receptions and meals are now more common. 

4. A bunch of people will continue to put down the light snacks the Duggars serve at their weddings. 

5. A few people who had light food (or heavy appetizers) at their wedding or are planning to do so will describe their menu and ask if they are ok with what they served. 

6. People will respond and assure them that, for various reasons that make them different than the Duggars, their lighter menu is totally fine. 

7. A lot of people will then list what they served at their weddings, how it went, what everyone wore, etc. 

8. Interspersed through all this, people from outside the US will chime in with their traditions. 

9. People will continue to express disbelief that weddings without full meals occur.  

10. There will be etiquette discussions about whether and when full meals/ light food should be served. 

Ah, but now we can add one more!

11. Veteran FJers will shake their heads and remind us all that this conversation has been had before, and there's no point discussing Duggar wedding food (or lack thereof).

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, freethemall said:

Ah, but now we can add one more!

11. Veteran FJers will shake their heads and remind us all that this conversation has been had before, and there's no point discussing Duggar wedding food (or lack thereof).

12. Bingo cards and lists will be created to cover all the topics mentioned above.

13. Referring to the lists and bingo cards will itself make it onto the lists and bingo cards, creating a vortex which will consume us all.

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:
Also, it looks like Kendra's bridesmaid dresses are from Jen Clothing, which is a Mormon clothing site. I'm surprised they would buy from LDS. I always assumed one of the reasons they had such hodge modge "modest" dresses was because they refused to buy the ready made modest dresses offered by LDS bridal sites.  

I was also wondering if there was any crossover with LDS fashion as well. We all know how evangelicals feel about the mormons, but their missionary boutiques actually do some cute clothes for the girls that don't end up looking frumpy.

Why are there no more pictures? I want pictures. Of the bridalparty, the dresses, the decorations, the (lack of) food. But most importantly the guests so we can start speculating on the next courtship. Remember when Joe and Kendra walked next to eachother at Jingers wedding? Then they got engaged at Joys. Their first child will be born at the next one. Calling it!

In the "Sisters" congratulations video, Jordyn looks so over it. And Josie looks like she might be about to have a little tantrum. 

Do we think JB was a groomsman since Mama Caldwell was a bridesmaid? I would venture a guess that the bridal party only consisted of siblings/parents. I am surprised Austin wasn't a groomsman. But if she has 5 brothers, then the numbers sort of pan out, right? 

I suppose it's possibly JB was a groosman......*shudders*. Kendra has 4 brothers and 2 sisters. but most of her sibs are elementary-school aged, which makes me feel bad for poor Jordyn and Josie if they got left out simply due to the numbers game. Also slightly awkward if Trace was the only non-family member of the wedding party...

4 hours ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Michael Bates-Keilen is by far the most likable girl out of these two families, imo.  I adore her. That being said, I hated EVERYTHING about her wedding.

I agree. I think her dress and hair were awful. But I do like her. She seems like she genuinely cares about her family and friends. I wish she hadn't been brought up with such hateful views and narrow options. I could totally see her working as a social worker or at a childrens non profit. I hope they figure our her fertility issues soon. Overall I like the Bates girls more that the Duggar girls (and I KNOW the Bates have hateful views and all the things we constantly discuss, but I'd just rather hung out with them given the choice).

8 minutes ago, seasonsoflife said:

I agree. I think her dress and hair were awful. But I do like her. She seems like she genuinely cares about her family and friends. I wish she hadn't been brought up with such hateful views and narrow options. I could totally see her working as a social worker or at a childrens non profit. I hope they figure our her fertility issues soon. Overall I like the Bates girls more that the Duggar girls (and I KNOW the Bates have hateful views and all the things we constantly discuss, but I'd just rather hung out with them given the choice).

I agree I prefer the Bates to the Duggars and prefer the Bates show as well.

I always have to remind myself that the Bates family is just better than the Duggars at hiding their horrendous views.

56 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

But most importantly the guests so we can start speculating on the next courtship. 

I'm predicting a Laura DeMaisie (or however you spell it) and John David pairing. She seems to be hanging around the family a lot.

1 minute ago, Seculardaisy said:

I agree I prefer the Bates to the Duggars and prefer the Bates show as well.

I always have to remind myself that the Bates family is just better than the Duggars at hiding their horrendous views.

Yeah, I am not really referring to their views but its mostly the fact that they seem less bitchy to me. 

If (my life depended on it and) I had to put together a fundie squad a la Taylor Swift it would include Alyssa (she would be the "wild" one and make the rest watch non Cristian girl movies with Kate Hudson) Michaela, Erin and Jana. Oh and Whitney, to give me a manicure of something :pb_biggrin:

Jill and and Carlin are not invited. They annoy me endlessly .

Just now, seasonsoflife said:

Yeah, I am not really referring to their views but its mostly the fact that they seem less bitchy to me. 

I'm sorry if it came off as me trying to harp to you on their views, I wasn't.

I was quite literally saying that I enjoy them so much more than the Duggars and find them much more down to earth so much that I have to remind myself of those things when I'm watching the show. The Bates girls and family are just more likeable.

5 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I'm sorry if it came off as me trying to harp to you on their views, I wasn't.

No worries, I didn't take it like that. But whenever someone comments on "liking" one fundie family over the other someone usually reminds us that they are the same (like we could forget). And I agree. But on a superficial level...I like those girls better, except for Jana. For me it has always been about FreeingJana. 

20 minutes ago, seasonsoflife said:

But on a superficial level...I like those girls better, except for Jana. For me it has always been about FreeingJana. 

No I'm 100% in agreement with you, the Bates girls seem like a semi-good time. In general they just give off better vibes. And that's saying a lot in comparison to the Duggars. They look like they know how to enjoy themselves.

Thats why I was saying I have to remind myself while I'm getting sucked in that in reality they would hate me.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:18 AM, lumpentheologie said:

When do you get off work?  Most people I know work until 6, at least, and get home maybe around 7. If you're making dinner yourself that means eating at 7:30 at the earliest. 

I usually eat at 8 and go to bed at 10:30, it never occurred to me that you would need hours and hours between dinner and bed. 

But my point was that even if you eat at 5 (which seems ridiculously early for me), how can you do that and still be at a wedding by 7? 

Mr. 05 works from 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. officially. In practice, he normally gets off at 3:30 p.m. I work from 7:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. We usually eat dinner about 5:30. Because when breakfast is at 5 for him and 7 for me, and lunch can be as early as 11 a.m. for me, we are ready to eat by 5:30. A 6 p.m. dinner is late for us. 

As for a few hours between dinner and bed...just hope you never get issues with GERD. You can't lay down too soon after eating. Generally, the recommendation is at least two hours between. 

In my family we are late people.  Tomorrow through Friday I'm walking a new dog client at 6:45 in the morning. Not looking forward getting up early but I'm willing to do it. 

Out of all the adult Duggar girls, I would choose Jana to hang out with. Jinger would be the second choice. Jill and Jessa would be dead last. 

Out of the Bates daughters? Probably Michael. She seems pretty easy to talk to and not over the top obnoxious like some of her sisters. Alyssa would be my second choice. 

The problem with Jill's bridesmaid dresses is that you could wear those to the mall, to class, to the park... etc. To me, they were NOT bridesmaid dresses. These bridesmaid dresses seem ok, but I agree that the sleeves are too long, and that's not my favorite shade of pink (makes everyone look washed out) but that shade has been trendy in bridesmaid dresses for a while now.

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Out of all the adult Duggar girls, I would choose Jana to hang out with. Jinger would be the second choice. Jill and Jessa would be dead last. 

Out of the Bates daughters? Probably Michael. She seems pretty easy to talk to and not over the top obnoxious like some of her sisters. Alyssa would be my second choice. 

I choose Erin or Josie and Jana or Joy.

It's like fundie Pokémon.

So I guess I'm the only one who prefers the Duggars to the Bateses. The Bateses overall are just too loud and obnoxious for me. The Duggars are much more reserved and less in-your-face, which is way more my speed. I can deal with the Duggars' awkwardness and emotionally repressed natures much more easily than the Bateses general... insufferableness (that's a word now). Obviously this is 100% superficial. On a deeper level, like in terms of beliefs, worldview or lifestyle, I think both families suck about equally.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, L1o2u3 said:

@Hmmm_idolatryYeah that's true. I had not seen Erin's dress before, but yeah, now I see what you mean. There are some really pretty modest dresses out there, and removing fabric is always easier than adding it, I think ^^ I love most Alta Moda Bridal dresses. Or some vintage dresses that are more covered. 

I also think Michelle's old wedding dress (not the vow renewal monstrosity)  was quite cute. Too bad they are cutting it into pieces instead of having one of the girls wear it with few alterations. 

Hide contents

duggars.jpg?w=669

3F0EE81900000578-4392344-Long_ago_Here_M

I totally agree, I also think they should borrow a sister's  or friend's dress, if it fits! They have so many to choose from. It would be like going wedding dress shopping! And it would make an interesting storyline, complete with flashbacks.

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

So I guess I'm the only one who prefers the Duggars to the Bateses. The Bateses overall are just too loud and obnoxious for me.

I agree they are too loud and intense for my taste as a whole, but the Duggar girls in general give off a mean girls vibe (thinking of the Jessa Jinger Jill Jana combination, just seems to me like it would be tense and bitchy and clicky, if that makes sense).

On 11/09/2017 at 10:33 AM, HideousGreenShirt said:

I'm not sure why Joe would select Joshleyas a groomsman.

I'd bet almost anything that Joe was forced by Kim Jong Boob to put Smuggar in the wedding, especially because he seems very close to Jinger in particular. 

He couldn't really do it in the girls weddings, because then he'd be forcing his victims to have him stand up at their wedding, but poor Joe was 'fair game' since he wasn't a victim. 

I hate the way they have all been forced to forgive Josh. 

On 11/09/2017 at 10:26 AM, eleanora3 said:

The full dress:

pic removed

I'll have to see better pictures to judge, but I hope this isn't a case of the 'off white/cream' top and a 'very white' bottom not going well together. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't. 

13 minutes ago, Helena Handbaket said:

I totally agree, I also think they should borrow a sister's  or friend's dress, if it fits! They have so many to choose from. It would be like going wedding dress shopping! And it would make an interesting storyline, complete with flashbacks.

Am I the only one glad that they are all getting their own dresses? 

These poor girls have pretty much never had a single thing to themselves growing up and had to share everything - at least their wedding dress is the one thing THEY have gotten to choose all for themselves in the style THEY want to have. If they really want to wear a sister's dress, that would be one thing, but I'd hate to see one of the girls in the future be pressured to recycle a dress instead of getting to pick their own like their sisters got to. 

(Basically, I just don't want poor Cinderjana forced to recycle one of her sister's wedding dresses instead of getting her own). 

6 hours ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Michael Bates-Keilen is by far the most likable girl out of these two families, imo.  I adore her. That being said, I hated EVERYTHING about her wedding. The dress was awful, her hair was a complete stringy mess and the bridesmaids dresses are worthy of their own snarky thread altogether. I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched the special on TV and my heart broke for her. She has all those sisters (Erin even does makeup and hair tutorials on FB. Josie is naturally talented and interested in hair styling) and no one thought to help her out?  

I have a huge soft spot for Michael Bates for same reason as Jana - I always have a soft spot for the eldest girls in these families because they are the ones who feel the worst brunt of sistermotherhood and are the first expected to keep sweet while being used as slave labor. And despite the fact she no doubt has toxic beliefs and is deep in the Koolaid, she has a 'niceness' about her and seems to genuinely love the kids in her family and they love her back.

But I totally agree on her wedding - we saw her trying on a gorgeous dress with beautiful hair in an episode preview of BUB, but she then got married in a terrible dress with really poor quality modest alterations with stringy hair hat looked like it had been streaked with a DIY-at-home hair kit and her theme just didn't work for the mega church. I felt so bad for her. 

23 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Annnnnnnnnd poor Cinderjana

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_ow3gotHFZ21qet7nn_1280.jpg

I can't decide which of these hostages......I mean, sisters, has the best 'I'm so fucking over this shit' face. 

Amazing. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived