IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 5: Married!

Destiny

5 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

That's definitely plausible too. I think either scenario is possible. We did see how well TLC hid Carlin during Joy's wedding, so they could certainly edit out Josh if he was a groomsman.

They may have edited Carlin's scenes out of the show, but she was still in the HD bridesmaids photographs. Don't they typically take a series of photos of the family only during the weddings which exclude the bridesmaids/groomsmen who aren't immediate family? Will they edit Josh out of the 'brothers only' pictures or purposefully snap a few pictures without him in it? Also if he was in the wedding, why wouldn't People Magazine mention it? I'm sure it wouldn't exactly be popular with the readers, but wouldn't a Josh mention mean more clicks/hits from the drama-loving general public? 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing missing from that cringeworthy video is Josh's advice to the newlyweds. I half expected him to say something like "Congrats bro, have fun tonight," *wink* "be fruitful and multiply, but don't do anything I would do."

15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

1. Use a spoiler. I believe this allows only members to see what's written, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately spoilered content is visible to all, members and unregistered lurkers.

4 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Unfortunately spoilered content is visible to all, members and unregistered lurkers.

@MadeItOutNever mind on the spoiler thing. Either post sensitive content in the members only forum or don't share it at all.

I'm sorry you're upset, but the reporter really did nothing wrong by using what you wrote. I wish they'd get a clue and realize we aren't a fan site, but we can't always get what we want.

(And thanks for clarifying @laPapessaGiovanna!) 

3 hours ago, Greendoor said:

While I will bless God for creating us and giving us love and all that follows, I agree with you.  It is between me and the man I love.

Got it! :) I didn't mean it literally but I can absolutely understand how it can be read that way! And that the thought is offensive for some and that's ok. My suggestion was indeed a bit insensitive ;) 

3 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Either post sensitive content in the members only forum or don't share it at all.

And note: Even the members only forum isn't a "safe place."  Just a tiny bit safer ... because it is not googlable.  We have had some rather nasty people get enough posts to see that area.

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

For the love of... WHEN will the f* inquisitr get it through their thick skulls: mining a *SUPPORT* forum safe space for stuff they can take into the public realm and pass it off as officially obtained consenting comment is a violation of journalistic ethics? 

We are not a safe space or a support forum for former fundies. Please see the guidelines and rules. That said, I do wish they would stop it with using us as a source. 

7 minutes ago, Destiny said:

We are not a safe space or a support forum for former fundies. Please see the guidelines and rules. That said, I do wish they would stop it with using us as a source. 

This, if only because half the time the rest of the article reads like they can't find their butt with two hands, a flashlight, and a magnifying glass.

20 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

And note: Even the members only forum isn't a "safe place."  Just a tiny bit safer ... because it is not googlable.  We have had some rather nasty people get enough posts to see that area.

This. If you put it on the internet, assume it’s not private. 

12 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:
This, if only because half the time the rest of the article reads like they can't find their butt with two hands, a flashlight, and a magnifying glass.

Agreed. That said, I have to reiterate that what they did was neither illegal or improper. They quoted a public post on FJ, with attribution. This is pretty much the dictionary definition of fair use, and something we do here with the people we follow all the damn time. It is a bit hypocritical in my view to get more upset about it than an eye roll, when the shoe is on the other foot and FJ is the one being quoted.

Also, just go reiterate what @laPapessaGiovanna said, spoiler tags are not hidden from nonmembers or google. Basically, if you don’t want to have to own it, don’t say it. :)

Thanks guys!

fjbingo.png.89991567c9d4e1ad4b114adf9524475f.png

(Seriously, I hope it's clear that this is meant to be fun and I'm poking fun at myself with it, too. :P)

I also made one for watching the actual weddings:

Spoiler

fjbingo2.png.b71b3f5443ef64eb98592d0d5c8702cb.png

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The Duggars seem to go with a modified version of the cake and punch reception I mentioned in another post. Other families offer other foods, like finger sandwiches, but the Duggars generally don't really do that - the exception was Josh's wedding, but that was because Anna's family was responsible for most of it.

Did Amy Duggar or whatever she called herself back then have a large wedding and reception with a sit down dinner? I can't remember. For some reason I thought she had a sit down dinner.

OMFG @singsingsing, you owe me a new ice cream. I just dropped mine cos I was laughing so hard. We should totally play this when the actual wedding airs. It might make it more interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

OMFG @singsingsing, you owe me a new ice cream. I just dropped mine cos I was laughing so hard. We should totally play this when the actual wedding airs. It might make it more interesting. 

I'm currently unemployed and loving it, so I have all the time in the world to make up a variety of bingo cards for whoever wants to play. I can even assign them randomly so everyone has a fair shot. I mean, you'll all have to just trust that I'm actually being random, but I promise you, I'm an extremely ethical person, especially when it comes to completely inconsequential games. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

I suspect if Anna's dress is different it's due to her needing to find a similar dress that works for somebody that is roughly nine months pregnant. It looks so much like the other dresses that I can only assume she was in fact in the wedding party.

Maybe they are now starting a trend that you need to have a pregnant woman in your wedding party to give good pregnancy vibes to the bride - sort of a good luck charm. 

12 minutes ago, MsSourPickle said:

Did Amy Duggar or whatever she called herself back then have a large wedding and reception with a sit down dinner? I can't remember. For some reason I thought she had a sit down dinner.

Yes, Amy had a more formal wedding. It featured an outdoor wedding, a dinner reception with dancing, and alcohol. I believe there were 400 guests total. The DJ announced when dancing would start so her extended family could leave if they wanted to. 

Keep in mind that Amy wasn't raised in IBLP and is an only child. Those could have played a big part in the type of wedding she had versus what her cousins have.

42 minutes ago, Destiny said:

. It is a bit hypocritical in my view to get more upset about it than an eye roll, when the shoe is on the other foot and FJ is the one being quoted.

Okay, I have honestly no clue why I feel the need to defend myself on that one, but I do, so I'm going to take the advice to not post under advisement for a moment to get you your answer, after which, I'll go back to just reading, unless of course an admin wants anything, in which case, as ever, I can be reached by pm. 

In answer to your perfectly reasonable criticism, all I can say is that it wasn't FJ that was quoted. On this occasion it was my words that were exploited and I am upset about it. That's not hypocritical though. Nor is there a fair comparison between the extremists whose behaviour we discuss and who put themselves (in the case of adults of majority)  & their minority aged relations into the public eye and then a relatively anonymous (certain of the admin can identify me and very kindly haven't) survivor who was already exploited more than enough by her headship and his 'church'. 

More than happy to answer anything else you require, but I will ask that we do it via inboxes since velociraptor's has advised it's safer to not post & I've never known her to give bad advice. 

@MadeItOut our identities are private and protected by FJ rules. But what we choose to write here is as PUBLIC as anything the Duggars and all the other fundies put on their PUBLIC social media and as such it can be quoted elsewhere.

@MadeItOut my point is fair use goes both ways. We can’t claim fair use with fundies then argue that it’s not ok to be quoted. I’m sorry it angers you, but they did nothing wrong. It’s not exploitation, it’s how the internet works. Many people in Duggarville have been quoted in various media. Hell, we are quoted in the lawsuit brief. If you post in public, be prepared to be quoted. It’s how these things are done.

38 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Thanks guys!

fjbingo.png.89991567c9d4e1ad4b114adf9524475f.png

(Seriously, I hope it's clear that this is meant to be fun and I'm poking fun at myself with it, too. :P)

I also made one for watching the actual weddings:

Hide contents

fjbingo2.png.b71b3f5443ef64eb98592d0d5c8702cb.png

this is AMAZING

On 2017-09-05 at 9:28 AM, elliha said:

My son's name is the same as a former Swedish prime minister, both first and last name.

:confused2: <-- Me guessing wich one. And also feeling a bit ashamed over how few I can think of. Miniway also has a grandpa name that I'm pretty sure no prime minister has ever been called.

On 2017-09-06 at 4:53 AM, potato said:

This reminds me a bit of one of my teachers in middle school!  Her first name is Erin and she married a guy whose name is Aaron.  They had a child and gave him Aaron as a middle name.

My brother in law has a unisex name and used to date a girl with the exact same name. Something that made his older siblings really, really happy. The teasing was brutal. 

25 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

all I can say is that it wasn't FJ that was quoted. On this occasion it was my words that were exploited and I am upset about it. That's not hypocritical though.

All I can say is that you really need to review the TOS and the Guidelines.  

As do we all probably.  I don't have them on the tip of my tongue either, although I agreed with them when I registered (and re-read and re-registered after some significant changes).  

I'm sincerely sorry that you are upset.  

But nothing you post on the internet is protected in the way you seem to expect.   This is the 21st century.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived