IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 5: Married!

Destiny

What breaks my heart most today is watching the video of Jer and Joe. I always thought Jer showed signs of great intelligence but not the kind fostered in the Duggar world. All that ability. Perhaps it is a good thing they didn't see the signs or it could have been used for evil. 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I ask why Carlin Bates was supposedly edited out of someone's wedding? I don't follow the Bates at all, beyond knowing that the dad is named Gil, they competed with the Duggars in a babymaking arms race, and they had skinny horses once.

Did she do something scandalaous? Out of wedlock pregnancy? Wear an immodest dress? Go somewhere without an accountability partner?

5 minutes ago, littlemommy said:

Can I ask why Carlin Bates was supposedly edited out of someone's wedding? 

Conflict of interest. Her family has a show on other network (UP Network) 

3 minutes ago, NeverBeenKissed said:

Conflict of interest. Her family has a show on other network (UP Network) 

Oh. Awww, man. I was hoping for something good. :P

Wow, just learned about the nuptials. I think I am more interested in the Duggar daughters getting married than the sons. 

I can only see a little of Kendra's dress but that part looks pretty. 

10 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Kendra's dress is not my style at all, but it looks really nice.

I like the bridesmaids dresses because they look like they could be worn in a wide variety of different contexts.

My favourite bridesmaids dresses were Joy's, though.

I agree. I like that Kendra's dress seems pretty different than than what we've seen so far. The beading is unique but doesn't seem flashy or over the top -- I think her (what seems to be) sweet and inviting personality tones down any aspect that may seem too attention grabbing, if that makes sense at all. You still want to look at her face and not the bodice, unlike similar pictures on Alta Moda.

And I actually really like the bridesmaids dresses too, mostly for the fact they could be easily worn again. I'm not a huge fan of the all-over lace but it works with the design of the dress. I'm curious what they're lined with under the lace because with the pictures we've seen they appear much more casual than Kendra's dress. I guess I just picture them lined with stretch cotton or something like most similar dresses I've seen. Hopefully it's a silk-like dressy material. 

And for what it's worth, I enjoy the longer sleeves. It gives it a vintage vibe.

My main criticism is why does everything have to be so ill fitting or poorly altered? While Jana looks beautiful, you can tell she tried to take up the dress at the waist and it looks a little goofy. I've even noticed this with the girls' wedding dresses in the past. Fit makes a huge difference imo, and sleeves that are too large, etc take away from the beauty of the dress.

Fundies believe in short engagements, presumably so the couple won't get too fresh with each other.  With a short engagement, you may not have time to get the dress and alterations you want, or the venue, or the venue time slot.

tl, dr Sloppy alterations because of a rush to stay pure.

23 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

. . . Made me think of the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers . . . 

I love that movie! I had never equated it to fundie weddings, but I can definitely see that. At least fundies don't kidnap their future spouses and barricade them in a cabin all winter!

11 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Kendra's dress is not my style at all, but it looks really nice.

I like the bridesmaids dresses because they look like they could be worn in a wide variety of different contexts.

My favourite bridesmaids dresses were Joy's, though.

I really liked joy dresses They are simple And Fit Her personality. And i like when They choose something already modest without The duggar touc

Ok, I'm probably alone with this, but I really liked JillyMuffin's bridesmaid dresses. The modesty panels were a stupid idea (not mocking Jana's sewing skills here, she did good job while the other girls, bride included and Anna excluded, did nothing to help her) and I think the dresses were maybe a bit too casual but I _love_ the color and the fabric. Even those belts aren't that bad. I would definitely wear that dress on a perfect summer day out in town. 

1 hour ago, LiterallyBananas said:

My main criticism is why does everything have to be so ill fitting or poorly altered? While Jana looks beautiful, you can tell she tried to take up the dress at the waist and it looks a little goofy. I've even noticed this with the girls' wedding dresses in the past. Fit makes a huge difference imo, and sleeves that are too large, etc take away from the beauty of the dress.

I think that's what makes this particular dress look terrible. It suggests no shape to the body and just hangs there - awful. You don't have to have a skin-tight fit to have proper waists defined. To me it looks like basically a shapeless doily.

Some thoughts.

Kendra and Joe have such huge smiles..I wish them every happiness, and a way out...

I like Kendra's dress, and I like the bridesmaids' dresses. Don't like the color; I think it washes people out. But the shape and the length and the sleeves make it their brand of modest, and they looked nice.

I'll agree with the person who didn't like the allover lace, but even a ribbon sash might have helped that.

Josh is a fucking douche canoe. 

The Duggar Wedding Bingo was hilarious! 

AFA the Duggar Wedding Horror Picture Show..... I love it.. I'd throw things, and dress in my best clean denim skirt, long chambray top, and seasonal vest (handmade, of course for the show!! For added holier-than thou-ness, I might even wear a head covering and my Birkenstocks, hide my rosary deep in my purse, and remember NOT to genuflect when I go into the church or auditorium or whatever they call it.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:45 AM, MoonFace said:

Ok - lets start guessing on what the wedding surprise is

Another Duggar courting/engaged would be one of my top bets   (one of the guys - unless GASP!!! It's Jana!)

Jinjer announces a pregnancy (Oh, I hope NOT!!)  

Dickwit and Jill are opening up a church 

And my favorite - SOMEONE GOT A JOB!!!

1. Someone got a job? lolololololololol

2. Another courtship of course, must keep the gravy train going.

3. On the whole sit down meal thing. I only know one couple who could afford that. Most have cake and punch and that's it. No big deal.  Over-the-top weddings are just wasted money.

4. Do we know where Joken will live? How will he pretend to support her?

5. "Africa" for a honeymoon....do they know there are actual countries there and not just the continent?

17 hours ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

I love the Bingo. I have always thought it would be amazing to do a Duggar Wedding Horror Picture Show. Complete with things to through, costumes to wear and lines to shout. 

Digger Wedding Horror Picture Show hahahahahaha omg. I love it.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Fundies believe in short engagements, presumably so the couple won't get too fresh with each other.  With a short engagement, you may not have time to get the dress and alterations you want, or the venue, or the venue time slot.

tl, dr Sloppy alterations because of a rush to stay pure.

Yeah, I totally get that, especially since the bridal parties are so large. I think I'm just hyper-sensitive to alterations because I'm just now learning to correctly alter garments myself (sloooooowwwwllly with a lot of "reverse stitching" as my grandma would say, aka constantly ripping out seams). Although some of what I've seen looks like it'd be a simple, 15 minute alteration that would make the garment fit so much better... but I'm sure whoever is in charge of that sort of thing (Jana?) probably is responsible for way more than sewing.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:45 AM, MoonFace said:

Ok - lets start guessing on what the wedding surprise is

Another Duggar courting/engaged would be one of my top bets   (one of the guys - unless GASP!!! It's Jana!)

Jinjer announces a pregnancy (Oh, I hope NOT!!)  

Dickwit and Jill are opening up a church 

And my favorite - SOMEONE GOT A JOB!!!

I audibly snorted with that last one. A+ comment right there. :my_shy:

I got married in my sister's living room, wearing a dress from off the rack at Macy's, immediate family only.  I am not really a girly girl at all.  And yet . . . I really do love looking at pretty wedding dresses and pretty bridesmaid dresses and hair and flowers, etc.  I wish that there were a whole discussion on FJ that was just for the weddings/dresses.  I can't remember what they all looked like & then have to go hunting for them.  Being Duggar-curious is not always a walk in the park, I tell ya.

Also, Jana looked so pretty in that picture with the little girls.  I feel bad for her "sitting at the kids' table" though.

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Why oh why can none of these women put their hair up for weddings??? DO updoes make Bill Gothard cry?

Not everyone LIKES updos, I personally don't like them, I don't care for what I call "bride hair".  I wore my hair down at my wedding, and it was as long as Jinger's is, My mom and a few of my friends are like why can't you wear you hear up, I asked why? they said because that is what brides do. I asked them "when was the last time I did anything because it is what others do? My mom rolled her eyes and said "why must you always be so strange". I reminded her of all the times she asked me if everyone else jumped off a bridge would I? She really hates it when I throw her words back at her. I've also always been the difficult child.

21 minutes ago, sunshine said:

The surprise could be something lackluster.

They pretty much all are at this point.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Kendra and Joe have such huge smiles..I wish them every happiness, and a way out...

Agreed. When I saw the video I thought that Joe and Kendra looked happy together, and that I want them to find their way out of fundieland together. When they talked about each other they seemed genuine, but then they had to throw in the obligatory "serving the Lord" comment and it made it all seem just a bit hollow.

4 hours ago, LiterallyBananas said:

It must be lose and ill fitting so "that they are not showing off their accoutrements" is I believe what Michelle said once, or one of them.  In other words don't stare at their Godly pillows, those are only for Bill Gothard and their husbands.

16 hours ago, cptbailey said:

I like the braidsmaids dresses, but I hate the sleeves on them. Super awkward length. It would be much cuter with just cap sleeves.

I love that length :P Gotta hide those batwings (or granny arms or what ever it is called in English - talking about my own btw). Almost all my dresses have sleeves like that. Cap sleeves on me is not flattering AT ALL. 

24 minutes ago, Thorns said:

Gotta hide those batwings (or granny arms or what ever it is called in English - talking about my own btw).  

I don't think most people call them "bingo wings", but I have called mine that ever since I saw this comic strip:

Spoiler

content-1.thumb.gif.620514d94f06c5a72c87a1f0394ea918.gif

:my_biggrin:

On 9/10/2017 at 2:44 PM, Seculardaisy said:

I do not like the look of Anna's dress and Michael Bates still had my least favorite modest hodge podge dress.

Michael Bates-Keilen is by far the most likable girl out of these two families, imo.  I adore her. That being said, I hated EVERYTHING about her wedding. The dress was awful, her hair was a complete stringy mess and the bridesmaids dresses are worthy of their own snarky thread altogether. I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched the special on TV and my heart broke for her. She has all those sisters (Erin even does makeup and hair tutorials on FB. Josie is naturally talented and interested in hair styling) and no one thought to help her out?  

4 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Ok, I'm probably alone with this, but I really liked JillyMuffin's bridesmaid dresses. The modesty panels were a stupid idea (not mocking Jana's sewing skills here, she did good job while the other girls, bride included and Anna excluded, did nothing to help her) and I think the dresses were maybe a bit too casual but I _love_ the color and the fabric. Even those belts aren't that bad. I would definitely wear that dress on a perfect summer day out in town. 

I don't mind them either...

I thought all the women looked really fresh and young in those dresses, and I don't even mind the modesty panel, though I think it should have been ecru lace and sewn in better. And I wish all of the girls had worn matching shoes; chocolate brown ankle strap peep toe wedges would have looked adorable. 

I do share in the hate of Jill's wedding dress though. Poorly altered for modesty, poorly fitted, just messy and drives me crazy. I get that Jill isn't the girly girl her sisters are, and so I wish she'd gone the hippie bohemian route rather than half-assing a preppy dress she wasn't really into.

Also, it looks like Kendra's bridesmaid dresses are from Jen Clothing, which is a Mormon clothing site. I'm surprised they would buy from LDS. I always assumed one of the reasons they had such hodge modge "modest" dresses was because they refused to buy the ready made modest dresses offered by LDS bridal sites.  

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

The modest version is from Allure, as was the original version, and yes they would have both been available in 2014.

https://www.bestbridalprices.com/allure-romance-wedding-dresses-style-2569-p100373

https://www.bestbridalprices.com/allure-modest-wedding-dresses-style-m504-p114414

In any case, I don't think the modest version would have been modest enough anyway. Still a bit plunging. I can't see any Duggar girl ever wearing a sweetheart neckline, even if it shows no cleavage or boobage at all. A sweetheart neckline is suggestive of boobs, and that's enough for them.

I had no idea Jill's wedding dress was supposed to look like that.  It's beautiful.

3 minutes ago, JessaBlessa said:

I had no idea Jill's wedding dress was supposed to look like that.  It's beautiful.

I really liked her dress until they did the alterations... then it was so ill-fitting and not flattering at all.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived