IGNORED

Lori Alexander 25: A Wife Is a Good *Thing*

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I'm just not into feet. I like the pedis because I do wear sandals/flipflops almost exclusively almost year 'round (live in the desert so we really don't get much of a winter). However, I just think they're gross. 

I'm not a fan of the foot but I don't mind them, either. Not liking people to touch me means I have to give myself a pedi and I too wear sandals almost year around. Not to mention that I almost never wear shoes unless I have to so foot care is important because feet can get funky. @polecat my sisters kids do the same thing.

Lori today:

If you are married to a godly man, he should be your barometer on what is modest and immodest, not other women’s convictions or their husband’s convictions, but your husband’s convictions since he is head over you and you are called to submit to him. Since he is a man, he will easily know what men lust after today and what is modest. Modesty standards do change with the culture and times or we’d all be wearing dresses down to our feet and sleeves down to our wrists. Thankfully, the Lord didn’t define modesty for us so we do have freedom in Him to figure out our convictions individually, although there are some things that are definitely immodest which even ungodly men will admit.

Is it just me or is she still harping on ShortsGate in an indirect way? She knows she can't go full throttle shoving it down people's throats (did you know she went viral?) but she can't let it go either. Seriously, if Ken likes to see her in a tube top and bike shorts, go for it. Just stop telling everyone about it. Someone in the comments thanks Lori for her "constant reminders". 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

Lori today:

Is it just me or is she still harping on ShortsGate in an indirect way? She knows she can't go full throttle shoving it down people's throats (did you know she went viral?) but she can't let it go either. Seriously, if Ken likes to see her in a tube top and bike shorts, go for it. Just stop telling everyone about it. Someone in the comments thanks Lori for her "constant reminders". 

Alrighty then. I think I've got it. Modesty in myself is whatever makes me feel cute. Immodesty in others is whatever makes me feel jealous or insecure.

It also occurred to me that some of Lori's major cognitive dissonance comes from her competing needs to be (1) always right--I was always the best parent, cook, homemaker, family role model; and (2) redeemed--I once was a lost and bossy bitch, and now I'm a found submissive helpmeet. If you're a Godly Mentor, you can have it both ways.

38 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

I'm not a fan of the foot but I don't mind them, either. Not liking people to touch me means I have to give myself a pedi and I too wear sandals almost year around. Not to mention that I almost never wear shoes unless I have to so foot care is important because feet can get funky.

I can deal with my own feet and adorable chubby baby feet. Beyond that...hell no! My youngest child has the world's ugliest feet. They look like hobbit feet. Big, wide and hairy. Size 12 feet on a 5'7" body. Now with my back fkd up, I can't reach my feet so pedis it is. 

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Ken likes my skirts and dresses above my knees a few inches so this is where I wear them. Others believe this is immodest but I don’t care since it’s my husband who sets my standards.

Oh, well, I hate to tell her, but my husband LOVES me in yoga pants. Can't keep his hands off me when I wear them. He also LOVES me in super low cut tops. Cut down to HERE (and I'm busty -- like super-duper eye-popping busty). Basically, if my husband had his way, he'd dress me in a way that would have Lori doing breathless in-the-dark videos every dang day.

Of course, my husband doesn't actually dress me. I dress myself. Which is why I wear yoga pants some days and other days I wear baggy khaki shorts. Some days, I wear low cut tops and other days, I cover myself decently in a slouchy hoodie. lol.

46 minutes ago, polecat said:

Oh, well, I hate to tell her, but my husband LOVES me in yoga pants. Can't keep his hands off me when I wear them. He also LOVES me in super low cut tops. Cut down to HERE (and I'm busty -- like super-duper eye-popping busty). Basically, if my husband had his way, he'd dress me in a way that would have Lori doing breathless in-the-dark videos every dang day.

Of course, my husband doesn't actually dress me. I dress myself. Which is why I wear yoga pants some days and other days I wear baggy khaki shorts. Some days, I wear low cut tops and other days, I cover myself decently in a slouchy hoodie. lol.

Here's a for instance-what if some, let's say 20%*, of the 'immodest' women have asked their husbands what looks good on them and the husbands said, "Yes, those yoga pants work. Especially for yoga." What THEN, Lori???? What will we do THEN? When these women have asked their husbands for their opinion, godly or not, and have submitted to their proper headship?

*Number pulled via the Ken Alexander School of Statistics.

I've only been following Lori for the past couple of months and I can only take so much of going deep into her blog.  Is anyone able to summarize her medical complications for me - especially her brain tumor?  Many thanks if you know this.

16 minutes ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Is anyone able to summarize her medical complications for me - especially her brain tumor? s.

http://lorialexander.blogspot.com/2011/12/twenty-years-of-pain.html

http://lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/04/slowing-down-bit.html

http://lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/09/cyber-knife-treatment.html

In other news, she's moved on to essential oils:

@So-Virgin-It-HurtsI can try to break them down for you, but there is some conflicting information:

1. Parasites. Lori had parasites in her stomach when she was 30. A medical mystery, that, since she didn't travel out of the country. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: But hey, at least she "looked like she had come out of a concentration camp"! (her exact words)

2. Squished between 2 semis on the highway in her car. Is this the neck fusion? She had surgery for this an awful long time after the fact.

3. Brain tumor. Often referred to as a "pituitary tumor", since it is right beside the pituitary gland. For someone who eschews modern medicine such as vaccinations, Lori is quick to use convention medicine to benefit herself. She was first diagnosed with a meningioma in 2003 or 2004, and she believes she got it by running into a plate glass window. (Seriously). She had two brain surgeries and a CyberKnife treatment.

Many thanks to @Koala and @TeddyBonkers for the Lori medical tutoring.  This was awesome!  Unfortunately I eat a lot of carrots so now I'm worried about my pituitary health.  I'll consult with Lori and see what oil she recommends.

Hey I thought pain was a great teacher!!  How dare she take the easy way out and try to stop that pain. I doubt it was as bad as she says. I've tried oil for my migraines and it does NOTHING!!

April says

I wished that some men would comment on here about how a woman/wife submitting to them affects them.

Oh god don't encourage them. Cue Josh and Earl.

I seem to remember someone commented on her brain tumor and she argued "I didn't have a brain tumor! I had a meningioma and it was on my pituitary gland!"  I did a quick search but could not find that exchange so either I am crazy or it was deleted. It was the way she replied with such venom to somebody expressing well wishes that stuck with me. For someone who writes at a third grade level, Lori gets really wrapped up on semantics. 

Re: the peppermint oil.  As someone who has tried everything for migraines, I finally bought some of the peppermint oil and I must say it brings me some relief. I buy mine at Walmart, though,  for about $5 a bottle. I bought some roller bottles and keep one in my purse and a couple in different rooms of the house. 

17 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Hey I thought pain was a great teacher!!  How dare she take the easy way out and try to stop that pain. I doubt it was as bad as she says. I've tried oil for my migraines and it does NOTHING!!

I tend to think everyone who has had severe migraines has tried everything under the sun in addition to medicine.  For me nothing worked other than the heavy duty prescription stuff, which basically knocked me out until it was over.

I had regular massages, used biofreeze/icy hot to get rid of simply the muscles tightening because of the pain, taken muscle relaxants, and had to keep on hand anti-nausea medicine for when they were so painful they would make me throw up.  At those times, I would try everything possible to take the edge off enough to let the meds knock me out and sleep.  

Mine are much less frequent and less severe since I have entered (very early) menopause caused by other health issues.  If that had not happened, I think I would be lining up to try the botox therapy that is available.  

I've also learned to tell when I have one coming on because my sense of smell goes on absolute overdrive first (I can smell the neighbor smoking in his own back yard when I am inside with our AC on when one is starting)- and the earlier I can take my anti-migraine meds the better off I am. . . 

But peppermint oil/essential oils?  - I think the intense smells alone would make my migraines worse.

@AuntKrazy

Yes, the smell is what made it worse for me too. It gets so bad where you fear going out in public for the random chance you run into somebody with way too much perfume on. 

In Lori's case her throbbing head pain is probably eye strain from staring at the computer all day. 

Peppermint Oil? She spelled placebo wrong. I'm all about holistic treatments and have tried, and found relief, with some of them. Lori on the other hand is obsessive about her health and becomes fixated on a specific item that she feels she simply cannot survive without. Potatoes for example. No healing could take place until the almighty potato was consumed. The give away this time is that all her pain "almost instantly" stopped. It must be amazing stuff.

Lori's suffered "multiple whiplashes"?

That's funny because she's actually caused me multiple whiplashes.

Some men like their women to show off their assets, as it were. Since the man sets the standards, is this ok? Doesn't matter if YOU think it is immodest? Just shut up, nosy interfering bitch.

Attention severe migraine sufferers!  Lifelong victim here (beginning as a child) who was never able to obtain diagnosis and treatment until her 30s.  By severe I mean almost daily and during the "really bad" episodes I was bedbound for 3 days with no light, no noise, and lots of vomiting.  For the last 15 years I have been symptom-free!  "What's this crazy shit?" you ask.  Dose of Topamax morning and evening.  I'm one of the rare, really unfortunates who make kidney stones as a side effect of the Topamax (learned the hard way after passing to stones two years apart in hotel rooms in foreign countries).  Once I got home after the second one the work-up proved the culprit.  Therefore, I also take a little pill to make sure I never make another kidney stone.  I also carry Fiornal with me as a rescue drug in case of a breakthrough headache.  Everyone do yourselves a favor and get a full evaluation by a neurologist.  It can be life-changing.

1 hour ago, AuntKrazy said:

Mine are much less frequent and less severe since I have entered (very early) menopause caused by other health issues.

I have menstrual migraines and am hoping that menopause has the same effect on me. I was blessedly migraine-free during pregnancy, and my grandma told me that hers virtually ended after menopause. I do have barometric-triggered migraines, but I could live with those if the menstrual migraines were gone. 

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

I seem to remember someone commented on her brain tumor and she argued "I didn't have a brain tumor! I had a meningioma and it was on my pituitary gland!"  I did a quick search but could not find that exchange so either I am crazy or it was deleted.

If you imagined it, then so did I because I remember it, too. It was weird. Maybe you could do a search here on FJ because I remember we discussed it.

13 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

Potatoes for example. No healing could take place until the almighty potato was consumed. The give away this time is that all her pain "almost instantly" stopped. It must be amazing stuff.

I have a thing about potatoes, too, lol. I hate to even admit it, but when I am in the post-drome of a severe migraine or am recovering from a stomach bug, I crave french fries like crazy. No fathomable reason -- although I suspect it might have something to do with starch/serotonin and maybe salt (electrolytes?). Anyway, potatoes in general and french fries in particular make me feel better, and my husband will often go out of his way to bring me some when I'm not feeling well because he's sweet like that. 

(all posts respectfully snipped)

3 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

Alrighty then. I think I've got it. Modesty in myself is whatever makes me feel cute. Immodesty in others is whatever makes me feel jealous or insecure

Nailed it. I believe that is exactly what she believes about modesty. 

2 hours ago, polecat said:

Mr. 05 would have me in low cut tops and short tight skirts at all times. Lori would die. He'd be in favor of a thong bikini, too. 

I do wear a short skirt or low cut top on date night now and again, but I prefer not to do both together. Because, yeah, he doesn't dress me. I don't wear those skirts or tops to work or whatever. 

I take continuos BCPs, so that I can decrease the hormone related migraines, and I must admit not having a period is pretty fantastic. There are so many other triggers I have that it is nice to know that I don't have to worry about one of them. Because of triggers I have also had to give up alcohol. *sigh* There are definitely days when I get home from a long day at work that I miss being able to have a glass of something. I have had many helpful people offer this essential oil or that mix of oils because they just know it will solve the problem. Unfortunately, smell is one of my triggers, and it always makes it worse. When you are knee-deep in a migraine you are willing to try anything even if you know it will turn out bad. 

I can't imagine taking medical (or otherwise) advice from Lori. There is nothing about her life choices that makes me want to emulate them. 

@So-Virgin-It-Hurts I am glad Topamax works for you. I was very hopeful when I tried it. After HALF A PILL, my mouth went numb and started drooping on one side. I was prepared for side effects and knew some might go away. I just was not comfortable "waiting it out" on that one so I did not take another dose. I'm sorry you had to deal with kidney stones but glad you found an answer for those too. 

I'm back to square one with my doctor but I don't have them as bad as many. 

If our husbands are setting the standards I'm going to be spending a lot of time walking around in a bikini lol. 

I seriously don't think Mr. Xtian much cares what I wear. I'm short and chubby. He usually doesn't care. Right now I'm wearing one of my comfy long skirts and a tank top with sandals if I go outside. Does he care? Nope. I'm funnier about my clothes than he is. I prefer my long skirts and tank tops (yeah, I shoulda been a hippie). 

Mr. E would have me in lower cut tops, shorter shorts, shorter skirts, and tighter jeans than I ever would wear on my own. He likes it when guys check me out, though I think he severely overstates how much this happens. He has no interest in saving other men from lust. :my_biggrin: Sorry, Lori, but most people don't spend their lives worried about what other people are thinking or how much they're sinning. Some of us have lives of our own to live.

I take Topamax as well. I want to say that it was a "let's try this" for when the Imitrex made me sick as hell. Topamax has worked wonders for me.  Maxalt for "breakthrough" migraines.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived