IGNORED

Lori Alexander 25: A Wife Is a Good *Thing*

What an empty life that must be, to have so much hatred towards other people instead of showing compassion and offering help. Her soul must be so empty. In a way, I really pity her. It's almost as if she has placed parts of her soul into different horcruxes. Ken, her house, her salads, etc. It all means nothing when you are not happy with yourself or just content with life. 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Timetraveler said:

to have so much hatred towards other people instead of showing compassion and offering help

I have found this to be true of many Christian Fundamentalists.  I wonder what drives down their empathy and compassion? 

1 hour ago, Liza said:

I have found this to be true of many Christian Fundamentalists.  I wonder what drives down their empathy and compassion? 

IME, their churches and groups nurture a sense of superiority. The natural result of believing that you are superior is to lose compassion for everyone below you. 

At the school I taught at, staff meetings were full of declarations about how much better our school was than all public schools, Catholic schools and even every other Christian school in the area. We were the only ones doing everything the right, true, Godly way and were far superior to the rest. Bible studies in college were all about how superior the evangelical students were to the poor, lost heathen ones around us. And their lives would turn out horrible while we would get perfect spouses, perfect children, perfect careers. We just had to be patient for it to all work out ("in God's time"). Somehow, even then, I recognized that it was bullshit. Probably because my whole life had not been in an evangelical bubble like those around me who bought all of it.

Mission/evangelism training for the kids at Christian school revolved around the notion that everyone they knew who wasn't an evangelical was sad and miserable (even though a lot of them might think they were happy--so you had to explain to them how miserable they were) and if you could just show them how superior and fantastic your life was, they would be clamoring for you to "share the reason"--which, of course, was Jesus. 

I just have to respond about the empty fridge and $120/week guy.

From Delta Dental of Massachusetts:

A can of dip costs an average of nearly $3. A two-can-a-week habit costs about $300 per hear. A can-a-day habit costs nearly $1100 per year.

I am going to assume $120/week dude is in the can/day crowd which means his cost is around $22/week without tax so I am going to move that up to $30/week. In my local grocery store Coke/Pepsi 12 pack is $4.99/pack – no sale. I am going to also assume this dude has around 3 cans of soda a day, so he needs two-12-packs. $5+5+30= $40. So his family could have gotten groceries for $80. My guess the other $80 goes to lunch out every day ($10*5=$50) and then the other $30 is either gas for the vehicle or beer. $120/week man is a selfish, self-absorbed asshole.

Here we go again on the damn fermented crust, it's not enough to show the pizza we have to also see outside of building.

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

@EowynW Sending you hugs and good thoughts. If I may...look into used tires. You can find some with 80% tread on them for next to nothing. We have bought those tires when ours were so bad the steel belts were showing through. We managed to get about a year out of the tires and for 4 it was like 200 bucks. They bought us time to get our money straight and be able to buy new tires. I'll shut up now, 

PS...if I have overstepped, just tell me to STFU. 

Overstepping myself here. . . only because I did not know this when I was younger. . .I don't think a spare is meant to be used for very long, or at high speeds. It would probably be better to go the used tire route, as feministxtian suggests.

9 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Here we go again on the damn fermented crust

What's the fascination, anyways? Most all types of bread and pizza dough are fermented.

21 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Mission/evangelism training for the kids at Christian school revolved around the notion that everyone they knew who wasn't an evangelical was sad and miserable (even though a lot of them might think they were happy--so you had to explain to them how miserable they were)

In a messed up way, it's a very effective method... it's often easier to bring someone else down than to admit you're not happy with whatever! 

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

@EowynW Sending you hugs and good thoughts. If I may...look into used tires. You can find some with 80% tread on them for next to nothing. We have bought those tires when ours were so bad the steel belts were showing through. We managed to get about a year out of the tires and for 4 it was like 200 bucks. They bought us time to get our money straight and be able to buy new tires. I'll shut up now, 

PS...if I have overstepped, just tell me to STFU. 

Oh yea the steel was showing through mine all the way around the tire. We are definitely checking into used first, but we are in such a small rural area that there isn't a big selection to choose from in the used department. They often don't have our size in these  little mom & pop places. 

@Hisey on my car the spare is an actual tire. Not a donut. So that's one plus :) 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived