IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

They will be too boring to have their own show.

The only Duggar spinoff I ever would want to see, is one where some of the adult Duggars (except Josh, he could become a complete anti fundie and I still wouldn't want his smug face to taint my TV again), break away from the restrictive rules and have their eyes opened to the real world.

I am mildly interested in the married daughters and Josiah, and their lives, relationships and children, but occasionally looking at their posts online will be enough.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think both couple,s in some ways, don't have the appeal or marketability to mainstream audiences. TLC has to know that from 19kac. While the Duggars are/were very popular with People magazine, morning shows like Today and GMA, their beliefs probably kept them from doing other things to promote the show. TLC was probably secretly fed up that a Duggar wouldn't do Dancing with the Stars, while Kate Gosselin did a season. Now, if Jill and Jessa and husbands get spinoffs, they might break free a bit of their belief system and parents' belief system, in order to promote their spinoff.

This is why I question whether the Duggars were really that profitable for TLC. While the show may have gotten good ratings, the real money for any show comes from endorsement deals, licensed merchandise, and appearances on other shows like DWTS (the still conservative but more mainstream "Duck Dynasty" family have done really well by going this route). The Duggars were so conservative that they never did any of that, even though I could imagine that, say, a modest clothing line might have done well, pre-Joshgate.

They will be too boring to have their own show.

The only Duggar spinoff I ever would want to see, is one where some of the adult Duggars (except Josh, he could become a complete anti fundie and I still wouldn't want his smug face to taint my TV again), break away from the restrictive rules and have their eyes opened to the real world.

I am mildly interested in the married daughters and Josiah, and their lives, relationships and children, but occasionally looking at their posts online will be enough.

I agree that the only show of interest would be the one following the first Duggar (s) to break free from the cult. And even then, a short 3- 5 episode series would be enough.

I'm probably in the minority, other than, I do not care. I didn't care about weddings and do not give a fig about any births from here on out.

I have my own precious, sweet, God given, beautiful, miracle blessing of a granddaughter to fill my baby lust... and her parents work really hard at protecting her and supplying everything that she needs.

People without the independent means to support themselves shouldn't be procreating. How are Jessa and Ben a good Christian testimony to other young people? They are on JB welfare. How does JB consider that a success? Where's the leave and cleave?

This is why I question whether the Duggars were really that profitable for TLC. While the show may have gotten good ratings, the real money for any show comes from endorsement deals, licensed merchandise, and appearances on other shows like DWTS (the still conservative but more mainstream "Duck Dynasty" family have done really well by going this route). The Duggars were so conservative that they never did any of that, even though I could imagine that, say, a modest clothing line might have done well, pre-Joshgate.

I've questioned that too. I think only endorsement deals we saw the Duggars get was College Minus, which isn't very well known and also has a bad reputation. The other endorsement that I recall was for the Christian version of the Farmville game. When it comes to additional merchandising, there are some products on the TLC/Discovery store for 19kac, in addition to the books and DVDs. The mugs, tote bags,and shirts are very basic and only the hardcore leghumpers were buying that stuff. I don't have never seen any of this stuff sold in brick and mortar stores.

http://store.discovery.com/?v=tlc_shows ... d-counting

With Duck Dynasty, the Robertsons made their pre-show fortune with the Duck Commander calls and other hunting products. They continue to make a lot of money in the hunting world and many store chains are still carrying Duck Dynasty clothes, books, and hats. The Roberstons also know which events and shows to attend/participate in for additional money and to further promote the show. Some of the sons and their wives go to country music award shows, country music festivals, and Sadie did DWTS. The Duggars are too conservative to go to those kinds of events and if they did, I can't see them enjoying certain things.

There are/were other shows that the Duggars either refused to be on or were never invited to, in addition to DWTS.

-Celebrity Wife Swap

-Celebrity Apprentice

-Ellen Show

-late night talk shows

The Duggars did crossover types episodes with other TLC shows like Cake Boss and Say Yes To The Dress. Those were probably the safe shows for them. There was no way, they would ever agree to meet the Sister Wives family and one of the kids in that family said she liked the Duggars. The Duggars could have had a crossover episode with Little People, Big World. The Roloffs are conservative Christians, but mainstream types. If a crossover episode was considered by TLC, I wouldn't be surprised if someone at TLC said no out of worry that one of the Duggars would say something offensive about little people(I'm lookng at Boob on this). As for the other TLC shows, again with the Little Couple or the other little people shows, there could have been worries about possible offensive comments. The Duggars would have definitely said no to a crossover with Long Island Medium. A crossover with Breaking Amish was probably never considered by TLC execs. Before Joshgate, I think TLC might have been considering a crossover with the Willis Clan.

I agree TLC is probably floating rumors to test the waters. I have zero faith in TLC's ability to be involved with any tasteful programing. The only way I could possibly see a good spin off would be on another network. I've never been the biggest Oprah fan but maybe if she or somebody else who wouldn't want to exploit the Duggar children was involved then a "good" spinoff could potentially happen but I doubt it will.

I HATE the genre of " reality" shows anyway.

I grew up with the sit coms mentioned earlier, " Leave It To Beaver" and " The Andy Griffith Show". ( Yeah, old as dirt here).

Now, I watch " Frasier" and " Friends" reruns and BBC first runs when I watch TV because there's intelligent writing not seen elsewhere.

With that said, IF the Duggars turned Josie into the next Shirley Temple with extraordinary dancing, singing and acting performances and threw her up on TV, I would not watch, " miracle" that it would be.

IF one of the J' women gets pregnant with identical quads and lands a spin-off set of VSEs, I won't watch.

IF one of the kids leaves the lifestyle and gets a " Duggar Gone" TV show, I won't watch.

There is NOTHING, absolutely and truly nothing the Duggars can do to interest me after what has been uncovered about Josh and the J' parents lying and covering up.

AND, I need to say, I'm damned glad my major cable company dropped the UP Network, because the Bates absolutely do look better at first glance than the Duggars ever have, but their Gothardism worship, their hidden agenda to sell America on fundamental fanaticism and Quiverfull ideology is just as sick as what the Duggars did.

All in league with the true devil in this world, Bill Gothard.

I HATE the genre of " reality" shows anyway.

I grew up with the sit coms mentioned earlier, " Leave It To Beaver" and " The Andy Griffith Show". ( Yeah, old as dirt here).

Now, I watch " Frasier" and " Friends" reruns and BBC first runs when I watch TV because there's intelligent writing not seen elsewhere.

With that said, IF the Duggars turned Josie into the next Shirley Temple with extraordinary dancing, singing and acting performances and threw her up on TV, I would not watch, " miracle" that it would be.

IF one of the J' women gets pregnant with identical quads and lands a spin-off set of VSEs, I won't watch.

IF one of the kids leaves the lifestyle and gets a " Duggar Gone" TV show, I won't watch.

There is NOTHING, absolutely and truly nothing the Duggars can do to interest me after what has been uncovered about Josh and the J' parents lying and covering up.

AND, I need to say, I'm damned glad my major cable company dropped the UP Network, because the Bates absolutely do look better at first glance than the Duggars ever have, but their Gothardism worship, their hidden agenda to sell America on fundamental fanaticism and Quiverfull ideology is just as sick as what the Duggars did.

All in league with the true devil in this world, Bill Gothard.

Well, the Duggars are against dancing, so we don't have to be worried about them trying to make Josie into a child star. But they did use Josie the miracle baby for paid speaking gigs. Overall, they have used their kids for the show and other purposes. I'm not a huge fan of the Bates family, but their kids are talented musicians and singers compared to the Duggar kids. There is something about Kelly Bates that I find more likable compared to Mullet. The Bates show on UP might hurt due to Joshgate and other things that are coming out about the Duggars.

Well, the Duggars are against dancing, so we don't have to be worried about them trying to make Josie into a child star. But they did use Josie the miracle baby for paid speaking gigs. Overall, they have used their kids for the show and other purposes. I'm not a huge fan of the Bates family, but their kids are talented musicians and singers compared to the Duggar kids. There is something about Kelly Bates that I find more likable compared to Mullet. The Bates show on UP might hurt due to Joshgate and other things that are coming out about the Duggars.

The main point of my post is the only thing you didn't address. :)

The fundamental movement, the Gothardism belief system, and the Quiverfull movement- which both families espouse.

I think all of the concepts they really and truly believe, mostly out of camera range, are extremely harmful to young minds and personalities needing freedom to blossom and flourish.

And- College!!! I'm so pro- college education and college degree living that there's really no other way I can imagine living. It would be a severe form of intellectual death for me,my spouse, and all my life history with my parents if a college education and degrees had been denied to any of us.

A good spinoff, but hardly likely, would be Jana and Jinger leaving home to pursue their interests - music and photography. They go off to college together, getting degrees, living in an off-campus apartment, learning how to live a real life. And wearing capris!!! :clap:

Here is my take. TLC will give the older girls a spin-off and it will be mind-numbingly boring. After the first season, they will gradually introduce JB, Michelle and some of the kids in season two. TLC will be banking on the hope that the outrage has run its course.

I just saw a really interesting episode on Investigation Discovery where the woman featured as the protagonist was a Wiccan and Pagan. I learned a lot just from the one episode.

This gave me the idea for an intelligent and enlightening series to replace the dumb fundy Duggars.

With the individual or family's or coven's permission, of course, I'd love for TLC to film various Wiccans and Pagans ( especially women) with the ancient rites and so forth,because it would be extremely enlightening for me, and I'm sure for quite a lot of other people. Also, to have the participants of this unnamed show talk about or show the modernization of ancient ceremonies, spells, and other things which I don't know enough to discuss with any degree of confidence at this time.

Disclaimer- I am not suggesting exploitation of anyone, but a genuine in-depth series that is ongoing and is focused on a way of life and religion other than Christianity. I'm totally ready to embrace spells, mystics and readings of signs and portents, truly. I'm so sorry if I got any terminology or description wrong because I know we are a diverse community with Pagan and Wiccan members, and I am definitely one of the " unknowing".

The main point of my post is the only thing you didn't address. :)

The fundamental movement, the Gothardism belief system, and the Quiverfull movement- which both families espouse.

I think all of the concepts they really and truly believe, mostly out of camera range, are extremely harmful to young minds and personalities needing freedom to blossom and flourish.

And- College!!! I'm so pro- college education and college degree living that there's really no other way I can imagine living. It would be a severe form of intellectual death for me,my spouse, and all my life history with my parents if a college education and degrees had been denied to any of us.

I agree about reality shows. A majority of them need to go. While it seems the Bateses are more likable and talented, they are cut from the same cloth. Something has always bothered me more about the Bateses, don't know why.

If the Duggars want to get out there, they can't just stay with GMA, Today Show, and People. I find it ironic they would let themselves be featured in a mag they don't read. And note how People has turned on them.

Here is my take. TLC will give the older girls a spin-off and it will be mind-numbingly boring. After the first season, they will gradually introduce JB, Michelle and some of the kids in season two. TLC will be banking on the hope that the outrage has run its course.

I have a similar take on things. I'm guessing a spin-off featuring the girls that will fail because they don't have enough going on. (This way, the demise of the 19 Kids and Counting era can be blamed on the girls. Sigh.)

I just saw a really interesting episode on Investigation Discovery where the woman featured as the protagonist was a Wiccan and Pagan. I learned a lot just from the one episode.

This gave me the idea for an intelligent and enlightening series to replace the dumb fundy Duggars.

With the individual or family's or coven's permission, of course, I'd love for TLC to film various Wiccans and Pagans ( especially women) with the ancient rites and so forth,because it would be extremely enlightening for me, and I'm sure for quite a lot of other people. Also, to have the participants of this unnamed show talk about or show the modernization of ancient ceremonies, spells, and other things which I don't know enough to discuss with any degree of confidence at this time.

Disclaimer- I am not suggesting exploitation of anyone, but a genuine in-depth series that is ongoing and is focused on a way of life and religion other than Christianity. I'm totally ready to embrace spells, mystics and readings of signs and portents, truly. I'm so sorry if I got any terminology or description wrong because I know we are a diverse community with Pagan and Wiccan members, and I am definitely one of the " unknowing".

Could you imagine the response of Fundamentalist Christians or even just Conserative Christians if such a show was aired? :popcorn2:

I would enjoy such a show, if it were portrayed realistically and would love to see the reaction of the local community. It would not be much of an issue where I live. We have Pagans who share our local UU Society. The surrounding community does not seem upset, but I live in the liberal and evil north. Best of all would be if they filmed Jim Bob and Michelle's reaction when they found their show was replaced by Pagan/Wiccan show. :popcorn2: :stir-pot: :popcorn2:

Edit: Improve grammar and riffles

Well, if the Josh stuff never broke, maybe Duggar studios would have tried to pull off a scripted web show using the kids.

I also liked cleopatra7's post about old sitcoms not being wholesome enough for fundies. She brought up good points about the shows she mentioned. The Duggars said in several interviews years ago that only other TV show, they watched besides their show was The Andy Griffith Show. Even that might not have been wholesome enough for the Duggars.

There are some fundie lite types and some Mormons that I've known and encountered in real life that still cling to older TV shows because of certain types of wholesomeness. One of my friends was raised in a strict Lutheran family. My friend became a liberal Episcopalian as an adult and has issues with her family because of that. One of her siblings has become very conservative (a little bit more than the parents) over the years and right now she doesn't like most current TV shows. The big reasons why she doesn't like most current shows is due to the topic of homosexuality/gay characters and shows that have anti-heroes or villian types as the main characters. She sometimes hangs out with my friend, me, and other friends for get togethers. But at times, it gets difficult because she doesn't like most of the TV shows, movies, or even the books we read. She talks a lot about older shows which fit with her because many older shows, weren't covering certain topics that are featured today. She has complained about how much scripted TV has changed. I do appreciate older TV shows and still watch them on cable or streaming, but I also like that we are seeing shows that aren't always told from the good guy's viewpoint or shows that feature different kinds of families.

One of the Mormon bloggers I follow fits into the category of someone, who still clings to TV shows that are more wholesome and little more conservative. Now, this blogger sometimes whines over stupid stuff in TV shows and movies. I get that Mormons are very much against cussing, but this blogger whines about cuss words in PG-13 movies and has said that there was excessive cursing in those movies. She also strictly the Mormon advice on R rated movies. When it comes to TV shows that blogger avoids many shows on TV much like my friend's sister.

The Hallmark shows I mentioned in my previous post are probably enjoyed more by fundie lite or Evangelical types than the hardcore fundies. From what I've seen from the fundie blogging world, is that many hardcore fundies like the Duggars and Bateses don't watch a lot anyway. It's more the fundie lite types like Lori Alexander, Raquel, Daniel/Lyndsie, Mormons, etc that watch TV, but the people in that category probably avoid a lot of TV shows.

This may be slightly OT Tv was way more liberal than you think in the mid 60's to mid 80s. "Maude" talked about once taboo issues like abortion and menopause and her parent show "All in the Family" probably wouldnt get on air today.. "Soap" featured a gay character. Bossom Buddies feature men who dressed as women to get a cheap apartment."Mary Tyler Moore' featured an unmarried woman in her early mid 30s. The show didnt end with a baby and husband. Now, I feel characters like Carrie Bradshaw make unmarried childless women look shallow. Fred Sanford said the N word on an episode of "Sanford and Son". Then there was George Jefferson. Even modern mainstream youth today would be appalled at some themes then.

I think the DUggars said they watch select episodes of Andy Griffith". What could b so 'defrauding " about Andy Griffith?

A married Duggars' spin off may have enough legs to get through a few seasons. I can see many people tuning in to see if there have been fundamental changes in the girls lives. More mainstream people who may not have known about Gothard/ATI/Blanket Training, may be tuning in to see if the girls will be following their parents leads. They'll be seeing if the headship is really the male and if the male is as shortsighted as Jim Bob. They may be looking for signs that the next generation of Duggars will be more educated.

I can see how a spin off could work. The girls could decide that they want their children to experience some of the things that they did not get to do as children. Preschool, going to the library (I remember watching Anna go to story time with her brood for the first time),Watching a Disney movie, one of the moms becoming a girl scout leader etc. The focus could be on how the girls feel about things that were previously "forbidden" and of course they would have a chance to participate with their own children to experience whatever it is.

If it would save the Duggar brand, I'm pretty sure Jim Bob would let the girls do whatever it takes.

In reality though, most people would be watching it to snark.

Most reality shows are trash. The duggars, teen mom, every tlc show but the little couple the Roloffs and hoarding, the real housewives, the bachelor, and the Kardashians. I swear the Kardashians are like pimples that you pop but they keep coming back.

I can't imagine the Duggars on Ellen. Ellen would be far too nice to them while JB tells her she needs jesus to repent her sins. Late night hell no too ungodly. DWTS, I would pay money to see a Duggar go on there. Wife swap, I want them to be with an atheist family or a christian/military family that believes in higher education are strict, the husband and wife have carrers, wife bosses JB around and hurts his ego. The children are to be enrolled in real homeschooling or go to real school.

Maybe a super nanny crossover? ? But the Duggars live in fundie land not real life. Yet they want tlc to support their lifestyle. Notice those apple phones and computers. Michelle's handbag, the kids clothes, that plane. free welfare for pimping out your kids

This may be slightly OT Tv was way more liberal than you think in the mid 60's to mid 80s. "Maude" talked about once taboo issues like abortion and menopause and her parent show "All in the Family" probably wouldnt get on air today.. "Soap" featured a gay character. Bossom Buddies feature men who dressed as women to get a cheap apartment."Mary Tyler Moore' featured an unmarried woman in her early mid 30s. The show didnt end with a baby and husband. Now, I feel characters like Carrie Bradshaw make unmarried childless women look shallow. Fred Sanford said the N word on an episode of "Sanford and Son". Then there was George Jefferson. Even modern mainstream youth today would be appalled at some themes then.

I think the DUggars said they watch select episodes of Andy Griffith". What could b so 'defrauding " about Andy Griffith?

There is a "comic drunk" character on the Andy Griffith Show, Otis Campbell, which I can see the Duggars finding offensive. I can also see them not liking the fact that Andy Taylor dates, only has one child, or that Opie goes to public school. Even taking into account that the Andy Griffith Show takes place a long time ago, I can see a Duggar child watching it and wondering why he or she doesn't have the freedom that Opie has to make friends outside the family or go to a real school. Plus, the real Andy Griffith was a Democrat who endorsed Obama during the 2008 election.

There is a "comic drunk" character on the Andy Griffith Show, Otis Campbell, which I can see the Duggars finding offensive. I can also see them not liking the fact that Andy Taylor dates, only has one child, or that Opie goes to public school. Even taking into account that the Andy Griffith Show takes place a long time ago, I can see a Duggar child watching it and wondering why he or she doesn't have the freedom that Opie has to make friends outside the family or go to a real school. Plus, the real Andy Griffith was a Democrat who endorsed Obama during the 2008 election.

Concur. Additionally, the Duggars or The Bates said they don't like that the characters on the show don't use prayer as a means to solve problems.

Has anyone taken a look at the Duggar Family Blog lately? Lily and Ellie are going off the rails. It would be epic if it weren't so disturbing. They've posted more than once about the contacts to advertisers so that their followers can beg and plead not to let their beloved show go unfunded. There are posts begging readers to E-mail TLC to keep the show, a celebration of G-ma Mary, and every profession of support for the Duggars they can find, including this bit from ESPN's Tony Kornheiser:

"I'm not even sure that it's reasonable for this guy to be driven from his job," stated Kornhesier.

"Wasn't it addressed a while back? And the only reason he's quitting his job now is because ... it became public."

Kornheiser also made it clear that he does not agree with those accusing Josh of lying to viewers simply because he did not reveal his wrongdoings sooner. According to Kornheiser, the Duggars had the right to address the situation privately.

You don't have to go out and confess everything you have ever done to everyone in the world!" exclaims Kornheiser. He was a kid!"

I, too, read that the Duggar's problem with the Andy Griffith Show was that they did not reference God much, if at all. Now, Andy Griffith is someone I really admire. I have visited Mt. Airy, NC (Mayberry) and literally bought the tee shirt at the Andy Griffith Museum. If he never did anything else, his role in "A Face in the Crowd" was as memorable as they come. This was a movie that was so far ahead of itself (I think it came out in 1957) that it is scary. That is the movie I wish the Duggars would see....maybe it would hit too close to home for them, though, as I do see a little of Lonesome Rhodes in Jim Bob Duggar. I wonder if Jim Bob knew how politically progressive Andy Griffith was.

Has anyone taken a look at the Duggar Family Blog lately? Lily and Ellie are going off the rails. It would be epic if it weren't so disturbing. They've posted more than once about the contacts to advertisers so that their followers can beg and plead not to let their beloved show go unfunded. There are posts begging readers to E-mail TLC to keep the show, a celebration of G-ma Mary, and every profession of support for the Duggars they can find, including this bit from ESPN's Tony Kornheiser:

What can you expect from die hard Duggar supporters? I left my two cents.

I agree with you, on Maude, Soap, and the shows you mentioned and I agree, the Duggars wouldn't have allowed those shows in their homes. Michelle would have went off Bossom Buddies being perverts.

The Duggars talked about Andy Gritttith years ago. I guess they liked the the wholesome vibe it had, but many people have brought that Andy Griffith Show was a bit liberal because Andy Taylor didn't carry a gun.

I also vaguely recall it being mentioned somewhere that the Duggars liked The Waltons. I could see them having issues with The Waltons because Mary Ellen wanted to become a doctor and she later became a nurse, Erin worked jobs later on, and in the later reunion TV movies it was revealed that Elizabeth had traveled around the world on her own.

I, too, read that the Duggar's problem with the Andy Griffith Show was that they did not reference God much, if at all. Now, Andy Griffith is someone I really admire. I have visited Mt. Airy, NC (Mayberry) and literally bought the tee shirt at the Andy Griffith Museum. If he never did anything else, his role in "A Face in the Crowd" was as memorable as they come. This was a movie that was so far ahead of itself (I think it came out in 1957) that it is scary. That is the movie I wish the Duggars would see....maybe it would hit too close to home for them, though, as I do see a little of Lonesome Rhodes in Jim Bob Duggar. I wonder if Jim Bob knew how politically progressive Andy Griffith was.

I don't think he did and neither did Josh. I remember when Andy Griffith died, Josh posted some kind of tribute on IG.

At this point I'm just ready to boycott TLC all together.

Logically, they had to have received word one way or another about Josh's allegations. It makes no sense that Oprah receives an email and they don't, plus TLC was filming at around the time when Josh sued DHS.

The Duggars have managed to get a gay crewmember fired. TLC is paying them lots of money and has given them a platform to spew sexist crap that should have gotten them taken off the air, along with political activities and robocalls against LGBTQA that also should have gotten them taken off the air also.

TLC yanks Honey Boo Boo right away but drags their feet about a ginormous family of bigots? Yeah, contracts, legalities, and maybe Boobchelle's lawyers got TLC pinned against the wall. They still could have come out and made more statements as to WTF is going on rather than leaving everyone hanging and appearing to be waiting out the controversy until it blows over. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence to presume that pulling the episodes off the air is an adequate response to this situation.

I read somewhere that 19kac is only .5% of their revenue, so why are they protecting them so much? What's the hold up, folks? Oh don't worry, the Duggars appear more than capable of making money. If they don't have a show on TLC they'll probably get a deal somewhere else. No joke. Ditto that nobody owes them a living, and if they've managed to keep friends in high places and a sizable fanbase, they'll find some way to make that all lucrative anyway.

Edited for correction.

Archived