IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

I agree. I am so disappointed in TLC. I mean I can't say I expected much from TLC, but I at least expected something vague about how they are examining the future of the show and considering their options. Maybe broadcasting standards? Concerns? Nope. Silence.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think JimChelle don't live in the real world. They live in fundie land. The show would've came to an end anyway. I think it's time for the cameras to go. JB didn't sound appreciative of the opportunities anyway. Being rude and disrespectful in other countries, embarrassing your kids on public tv, Jesus said it's time for it to end. No the girls shouldn't get a spin off. Wtf are they going to do. Jessa Jill and Ben don't have jobs. Jessa and Jill are both brainwashed kids who just lost their v card a few months ago and are now pregnant. Unless they're actually going to do something with their life and stand to daddy then that show will be dry as a bone.

Absolutely!

I am SO over the reality show thing.

If conservative Christians want a show portraying the wholesome adventures of a well behaved family, why not a regular old sit-com type show?

Why pretend that it's reality when we all know how un-real these shows are?? What's wrong with some actors acting - isn't the end result the same? If the actors portray characters who are wholesome and attractive the show will be followed by more than just hardcore fundies.

I really enjoyed Eight is Enough when it was on, same for the Waltons, etc. That's a great idea!

That is main thing I see too. It is known that both Jessa and Jill are very much into ATI and other fundie belief systems/cultures. Giving them a spinoff would give them a vehicle to spread their dangerous beliefs. I do feel sorry for them because of what happened, but I agree no one owes them a living and at the least the adult Duggar children should have already been prepared, in case something happened and the show was canned. The show hasn't been canceled though.

We know that Boob, Mullet, and the Duggar kids remaining at the TTH will be fine, if the show is canned. The two married couples might have some trouble on the horizon. But they are adults and need to man up and realize that they aren't entitled to a spinoff. Even, if they do get a spinoff, the outcom, reception and ratings, may not be good for them and TLC could end up canning them after a season and then they would a lose a main source of income. At least, some of the kids or adult children of other reality shows are in more touch with certain things than Jessa and Jill. One of the things, I give credit to Long Island Medium Theresa, is that, education is encouraged for her two kids. Theresa's kids know that medium mom's reality show won't last forever. There is no doubt that even after LIM ends, the Caputos will find ways to make money with Theresa tours, readings, and other things. But, at least Theresa's kids have lived away from home for and had experiences that weren't a part of the reality show.

I bolded some sentences for emphasis; I believe JB and Jchelle owe their children a living in a way: the lack of real homeschooling, refusal to countenance their daughters going to college, 'allowing' Jessa to marry a man without a job or ability to support her, not teaching the girls any out of the home skills they could use to seek employment ALL should require their parents to give those kids a payoff and change the way they raise the rest. I think despite what J'chelle said once, they really did come to believe the show would go on far into the future because the ratings were so great with the marriages and babies and Si's new courtship. Wouldn't it be nice if TLC ponied up for apprenticeships for any of the kids at the network so they can get jobs, or set up some sort of trust fund for when the kids reach majority age.

The Duggars have 8 adults kids and 3 in-laws. Out of those 11 adults, 2 have jobs. A third, Jana, has some known skills. 1, Joe, is in college.

Hey JB- this ^ is not successful parenting. You have 3, soon to be 5 grandkids whose parents do not have jobs. Your family might just become welfare queens.

You should be ashamed for first limiting your kids, and then exploiting them. We'll leave the brainwashing discussion for another day.

The Duggars have 8 adults kids and 3 in-laws. Out of those 11 adults, 2 have jobs. A third, Jana, has some known skills. 1, Joe, is in college.

Hey JB- this ^ is not successful parenting. You have 3, soon to be 5 grandkids whose parents do not have jobs. Your family might just become welfare queens.

You should be ashamed for first limiting your kids, and then exploiting them. We'll leave the brainwashing discussion for another day.

Most people would also consider 8 adult kids and no one in a university to be a colossal failure, including most conservative Christians. Even one of the Kardashians managed to pop out a degree. But who needs college when you're a concert pianist?

Most people would also consider 8 adult kids and no one in a university to be a colossal failure, including most conservative Christians. Even one of the Kardashians managed to pop out a degree. But who needs college when you're a concert pianist?

No college would be one thing if EVERYONE had a marketable skill or talent. These adults have nothing.

That article with the title "house of Horrors" was pretty spot on.

What happened to the used car lot? I vaguely recall reading that JB had to bail Josh out a few times and that the business was not successful and was sold. So this is JB's legacy to his oldest son and other children? A broken down business? JB hasn't provided any of the other kidults with a viable or sustainable way of making a living either except through the TLC show. The quicker the kids need to scramble for survival the quicker they will find their way out of this destructive cult. For anyone who really cares about these kids they should hope the show is cancelled. It will be hard for them but they will have to find a way.

Serious question here because I honestly don't know. We all know how Hollywood likes to play the exploitation game and produce TV movies based on real events. The movie about Natalie Holloway comes to mind. Can someone make a film about the Duggar family in the form of an unauthorized biography or would they be sued?

What happened to the used car lot? I vaguely recall reading that JB had to bail Josh out a few times and that the business was not successful and was sold. So this is JB's legacy to his oldest son and other children? A broken down business? JB hasn't provided any of the other kidults with a viable or sustainable way of making a living either except through the TLC show. The quicker the kids need to scramble for survival the quicker they will find their way out of this destructive cult. For anyone who really cares about these kids they should hope the show is cancelled. It will be hard for them but they will have to find a way.

According to this blog:

Duggar Automotive SOLD

Josh and Anna Duggar are gearing up for their big move to Washington D.C. What's going to happen to Josh's used car lot? The building that once housed Duggar Automotive is now part of the Dobbs Motor Company.

duggarfamilyblog.com/2013/06/duggar-automotive-sold.html

I completely agree. Josh and Jessa are both in the most difficult situations but the rest are still somewhat insulated. I agree it's better that they have to face the reality now vs in 5 or 10 years. While 4 kids are a huge responsibility and financial liability, it's better than 10 or 12. Jessa and Ben really did need a reality check. Free cars, house, a honeymoon is Paris, albeit a working HM, would have never be within their current reach without TLC. It was all built on a house of cards. Hindsight being what it is, Jana and JD's decisions are much clearer. The Dilly's need to find housing that they can independently afford. Necessity is the mother of all inventions. I just hope they can make the connection between the cult and their lack of educations, choices and skills.

I really enjoyed Eight is Enough when it was on, same for the Waltons, etc. That's a great idea!

The reason that reality TV is popular is because it is CHEAP. They flood the market with it, and people watch it. Probably because so many people just "have" to have the tv on at all times.

The reason that reality TV is popular is because it is CHEAP. They flood the market with it, and people watch it. Probably because so many people just "have" to have the tv on at all times.

Yep. That's why when people spoke about all the adults having independent contracts, I was very, very skeptical. Reality TV works because it's cheap, especially when it's often filmed in places like AR.

I just saw a really interesting episode on Investigation Discovery where the woman featured as the protagonist was a Wiccan and Pagan. I learned a lot just from the one episode.

This gave me the idea for an intelligent and enlightening series to replace the dumb fundy Duggars.

With the individual or family's or coven's permission, of course, I'd love for TLC to film various Wiccans and Pagans ( especially women) with the ancient rites and so forth,because it would be extremely enlightening for me, and I'm sure for quite a lot of other people. Also, to have the participants of this unnamed show talk about or show the modernization of ancient ceremonies, spells, and other things which I don't know enough to discuss with any degree of confidence at this time.

Disclaimer- I am not suggesting exploitation of anyone, but a genuine in-depth series that is ongoing and is focused on a way of life and religion other than Christianity. I'm totally ready to embrace spells, mystics and readings of signs and portents, truly. I'm so sorry if I got any terminology or description wrong because I know we are a diverse community with Pagan and Wiccan members, and I am definitely one of the " unknowing".

I almost died laughing at this post.

Anybody who thinks 'reality' TV can accurately portray any religion (or anything, really- even the Biggest Loser is the Biggest Lie) makes me giggle.

I liked (really) how Jill said she was a 'Student Midwife' in the Erica Hill interview. I actually looked up how to get a midwifery credential and you have to have a HS diploma / GED + either a BA or be an RN. So... she will be a student forever. Sad. It's so transparent now that they cooked up these jobs for the kids that were really activities.

I liked (really) how Jill said she was a 'Student Midwife' in the Erica Hill interview. I actually looked up how to get a midwifery credential and you have to have a HS diploma / GED + either a BA or be an RN. So... she will be a student forever. Sad. It's so transparent now that they cooked up these jobs for the kids that were really activities.

She has changed her story on that one too. She used to be a midwife- check the archives of People from last year.

Remember when they went to buy their wedding rings and Derick mentioned that the ring had to be compatible with Jill's midwifery profession? It seems Derick has not read the entire Gothard handbook regarding married women.

LOL- remember earlier this year when Jill was talking an NRP class? I think someone told her to get her ass in some sort of class or do something related to the career she continually mentions.

The kids learned the lying and skirting of truths from the father.

I often wonder where JB and his family would be, in terms of Quiverfull, if they had never been on a TV show. If he didn't have to keep up the act, would he have relented a bit on the strict upbringing or is he a true believer? I go back and forth on this because he appears to be doing so much acting he should be eligible for a SAG card. But then I go back and think that he is a certifiable, paranoid, religious wacko. In any event, the sooner all the Duggars are off TV, the better. But JB isn't finished with TV....he will pop up somewhere else, I am certain.

She has changed her story on that one too. She used to be a midwife- check the archives of People from last year.

I know, it made me wonder why all of a sudden she would admit to being just a 'student'. Truth won't help now.

I often wonder where JB and his family would be, in terms of Quiverfull, if they had never been on a TV show. If he didn't have to keep up the act, would he have relented a bit on the strict upbringing or is he a true believer? I go back and forth on this because he appears to be doing so much acting he should be eligible for a SAG card. But then I go back and think that he is a certifiable, paranoid, religious wacko. In any event, the sooner all the Duggars are off TV, the better. But JB isn't finished with TV....he will pop up somewhere else, I am certain.

I think his opportunistic and manipulative characteristics far outweigh his religiosity and devoutness.

This man worships at the altar of the greenback.

I wonder how much the reality(ies) of 19 children affected his lust for money?

I Remember JB and M talking about when they were younger they thought that they'd have 2 or 3 kids- too bad they didn't listen to themselves.

I know, it made me wonder why all of a sudden she would admit to being just a 'student'. Truth won't help now.

OK, and as a 23 yo woman, wouldn't you be EMBARRASSED to have to publicly admit that you're only a student, when you know that it's been printed in several media reports that you ARE a midwife, and worse, that you, the morally superior one who actually makes her living in a family TV/political ministry, never made an effort to print or voice a retraction of such claim?

It's like these folks have no shame, humility or a humble bone in their bodies, yet they've made a ton of money professing how their way is better.

Yes, better if one is a fraud.

I agree with Sassypants that JB is opportunistic and minipulative, but I also think he's sincere in his faith. The family made an appearance at a church on May 3 where he seemed to be the only one who wanted to be there, imo. I could only watch the first few minutes before I lost interest, though, so I could be wrong.

livestream.com/accounts/1340795/events/4022656

I agree with Sassypants that JB is opportunistic and minipulative, but I also think he's sincere in his faith. The family made an appearance at a church on May 3 where he seemed to be the only one who wanted to be there, imo. I could only watch the first few minutes before I lost interest, though, so I could be wrong.

livestream.com/accounts/1340795/events/4022656

Was he getting paid to be there? Was a "love Offering" involved?

Did they pass the plate?

I almost died laughing at this post.

Anybody who thinks 'reality' TV can accurately portray any religion (or anything, really- even the Biggest Loser is the Biggest Lie) makes me giggle.

It absolutely was meant to be a TIC post. Replacing the fundies with a Wiccan family. Shock the fundies out of their granny underpants. :)

In fact, most of my posts are TIC- like Jim Bob being anything like J.R. Ewing ( a fictional character, obviously, as I actually was a " Dallas" fan).

I just get tired of all the seriousness and depressing posts about how some Duggars' lives might as well be over, woe is me.

I'm a humorous person but some on FJ don't get my brand of humor yet. :)

I've said before, and will say again, I don't watch reality TV. Investigation Discovery is sometimes interesting when they have some of the really twisted stories about the things people do in the name of love, but I know most of those are inaccurate portrayals as well. I've seen one or two of the more recent Duggar episodes- the Jill birthing one, and zero of the " vintage" Duggar episodes.

I think they're trying to play their cards right so they can bring back the show (minus Josh) next season. That pic on People makes it look like they're such a nice christian couple that has had something tragic happen to them. It's like a pic they would have used right after losing Jubilee or if somebody just got diagnosed with cancer. Really trying to play on people's emotions, poor poor Duggars! What a sweet family! Such a shame that this happened to them! Same with the interview, I'll bet money that it will paint them as a lovely family who have had something heartbreaking happen to them, and came through it through the grace of God! Forget all about their part in things, forget the hypocrisy, forget the lack of actual counseling for anybody involved or the fact that they allowed continued access to little girls. In September, that damn show will be back on TLC.

Archived