IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can TLC support a group like the Duggars who so openly hate the LGBTQ community? I thought that their reality shows are supposed to be about the acceptance of differences, showing that we are all humans who face challenges and experience triumphs and failures. A hate group doesn't fit in.

I don't think TLC has ever cared about the Duggars' hatred of LGBTQ communities. TLC has known about that for years and seems to have put up with the Duggars' hatred. The Duggars never appeared on Ellen, while the Long Medium Island appeared on the show. TLC had Honey Boo Boo. Honey Boo Boo and her family expressed love for gay Uncle Poodle. I don't think the Duggars ever meet the Honey Boo Boo family and TLC likely kept it that way to avoid conflicts. A few months back, it was announced that Jazz Jennings, the transgendered teen activist was getting her own show on TLC. That was discussed here on FJ and IIRC, the announcement about Jazz's show came around the same time Michelle's robocall stuff was hitting the press. People here wondered how TLC could give Jazz a show, while putting up/dealing with the Duggars anti-gay and anti-trans shit.

I don't think TLC has ever cared about the Duggars' hatred of LGBTQ communities. TLC has known about that for years and seems to have put up with the Duggars' hatred. The Duggars never appeared on Ellen, while the Long Medium Island appeared on the show. TLC had Honey Boo Boo. Honey Boo Boo and her family expressed love for gay Uncle Poodle. I don't think the Duggars ever meet the Honey Boo Boo family and TLC likely kept it that way to avoid conflicts. A few months back, it was announced that Jazz Jennings, the transgendered teen activist was getting her own show on TLC. That was discussed here on FJ and IIRC, the announcement about Jazz's show came around the same time Michelle's robocall stuff was hitting the press. People here wondered how TLC could give Jazz a show, while putting up/dealing with the Duggars anti-gay and anti-trans shit.

The same network that produced My Husband’s Not Gay, a one hour documentary of how a religion suffocates its members into a loveless marriage because they don't recognize their sexual orientation. Also produced several iterations of Sister Wives. TLC has a style and I would say it's strange lifestyles and family styles. When it finds a little people polygamous family whose kids cheer and do child pageants they might just jizz on themselves.

Too bad TLC didn't listen. I'm excited for what In Touch plans to release: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

It's fascinating to learn the background of InTouch's scoop, as detailed in this article. Seems like a lot of people in Springdale knew about the Duggars' ugly secret, yet the Duggars plowed forward with their ambitions to be in the limelight AND even more significantly pushed their controversial agendas. Amazingly no one exposed them for years, and probably never would have if they had just stayed a quirky, seemingly harmless big family on tv. But the Duggars kept getting bolder and more political until they finally made enemies of the LGBT community (including InTouch's tipster with connections to Springdale) with their gay kissing photo ban, Michelle's robocall and Josh's lobbying against gay marriage. As saavy as the Duggars have been over the years, I'm surprised they insisted on being so provocative given how much they stood to lose. I'll bet the Duggars are kicking themselves now.

I saw TLC had a honey boo boo rerun on in the middle of the night a few weeks ago. My DVR is showing Honey boo boo reruns coming back on starting in June 22nd. Can anyone else check and see if they are showing Honey boo boo coming back? I wonder if TLC is testing to see if viewers have forgotten about June or if viewers will write in and complain or let them get away with the reruns? or could it be a deal with June, TLC get honey boo boo back if they keep the Duggars? the episode do not indicate if they are new of not.

They do have a full season of episodes they put on the shelf after the scandal on *that* show. Even if they try airing them and it fails, it's not like they will loose any money. Maybe they're going to test it out and see. If people will accept that show, they will probably accept the Duggars coming back too (because classism)

So the whole damn town knew and JimChelle thought they could hide this? They really aren't this stupid. . Are they?

I'm wondering that too. I see that Josh and Anna aren't going to the event anymore. Jessa and Jill were just awful in the interview and I'm finding it hard to sympathize with them. This might be bad of me, but I hope at least one person boos them and their husbands. But, I think if they do go to Alive, that might be their last paid speaking gig. I think they along with Boob and Mullet have turned off people more with those interviews.

Why should they be booed? What have Jill and Jessa done wrong? Yes, they are not self-aware enough to know that wrong has been done to them, but that is not their fault. They were not allowed to experience adolescence. Their family, even ATI, is its own collectivist culture and these girls just have not yet had the chance to develop a sense of individualism. That should not get them booed. Should they have given the interview? Well, I wouldn't have recommended it--I think what they said what stupid--but if it was anybody else we would be saying that a victim always has a right to tell their story how they see it because it is their story.

I was once grabbed in a headlock and held against someone with some mental deficiencies with what was probably sexual intent. People began immediately talking him into releasing me, which he did, but it took me twenty years to realize how much that had affected me. I have experienced weight gain, fear, guilt, self-deprecation, hypothyroidism--all that can be traced back to beginning around the time of this incident. So I can't judge Jill and Jessa for not reacting to the sexual abuse in the way that I want them to because they haven't yet processed it as abuse. I certainly shrugged it off. Nothing actually happened. Worse things happened to other people. But I did grow to understand the level of what happened to me did not invalidate what happened to me. It wasn't as bad, but it did happen and it did affect me. Jill and Jessa haven't learned that yet. I am not going to boo them because of that.

So the whole damn town knew and JimChelle thought they could hide this? They really aren't this stupid. . Are they?

The question is how much people really knew (if there were just some general rumours floating around, or if people knew the hard and detailed facts) and if the Duggars knew that people knew.

Cause it's not like people in a normal social setting tend to go up to others telling them that they know exactly what their skeletons in their closet are... Unless the Duggars got hate mail or people telling them in their face, I think they assumed that this wasn't something many people outside their immediate circle were aware about.

Why should they be booed? What have Jill and Jessa done wrong? Yes, they are not self-aware enough to know that wrong has been done to them, but that is not their fault. They were not allowed to experience adolescence. Their family, even ATI, is its own collectivist culture and these girls just have not yet had the chance to develop a sense of individualism. That should not get them booed. Should they have given the interview? Well, I wouldn't have recommended it--I think what they said what stupid--but if it was anybody else we would be saying that a victim always has a right to tell their story how they see it because it is their story.

I was once grabbed in a headlock and held against someone with some mental deficiencies with what was probably sexual intent. People began immediately talking him into releasing me, which he did, but it took me twenty years to realize how much that had affected me. I have experienced weight gain, fear, guilt, self-deprecation, hypothyroidism--all that can be traced back to beginning around the time of this incident. So I can't judge Jill and Jessa for not reacting to the sexual abuse in the way that I want them to because they haven't yet processed it as abuse. I certainly shrugged it off. Nothing actually happened. Worse things happened to other people. But I did grow to understand the level of what happened to me did not invalidate what happened to me. It wasn't as bad, but it did happen and it did affect me. Jill and Jessa haven't learned that yet. I am not going to boo them because of that.

Very well stated.

I'm wondering that too. I see that Josh and Anna aren't going to the event anymore. Jessa and Jill were just awful in the interview and I'm finding it hard to sympathize with them. This might be bad of me, but I hope at least one person boos them and their husbands. But, I think if they do go to Alive, that might be their last paid speaking gig. I think they along with Boob and Mullet have turned off people more with those interviews.

These young women were sexually abused by their brother. Their parents failed to protect them. They were raised in a cult that teaches that the abuse they experienced is their own fault. They were never taught to think critically or to think for themselves. They were pretty much turned into slaves responsible for the well-being of all their siblings, including the brother who molested them.

Knowing all that, you honestly want them to be booed? Would you say that about any other person who went through what they experienced?

Very well stated.

These young women were sexually abused by their brother. Their parents failed to protect them. They were raised in a cult that teaches that the abuse they experienced is their own fault. They were never taught to think critically or to think for themselves. They were pretty much turned into slaves responsible for the well-being of all their siblings, including the brother who molested them.

Knowing all that, you honestly want them to be booed? Would you say that about any other person who went through what they experienced?

Booed no, but once you decide that you're old enough to marry and more importantly, bring a child into the world, you've got to step up, period. I refuse to treat those adult kids as fragile beings, when they have every right that is extended to all US citizens, and in addition, have had a platform to spew their ridiculous, non- sensical message for years. Those girls do have the right to seek real help, whether or not they choose to believe that, or make the needed arrangements.

Once you have the responsibilities or potential to infect another generation, and do not make the available adjustments, my sympathy for your plight is gone.

If they're victims, they need to get real help...refusing to do so is on them.

If the public and media are the culprits, they need to cut their media ties, which they have refused to do.

Privacy is obviously key- there is no privacy when you make your living on a reality TV show, as you've sold that privacy away.

Really, they should take a page out of Josh and Anna's book- fade away into a private life. Either that, or obtain some marketable skills and knowledge that would attract a paying clientele.

I do feel badly that in our country, parents are allowed to procreate and procreate without taking any of the real responsibility for protecting and raising kids to function in the real world. The Duggar kids are all victims of parental neglect. However, that does not mean that you will get a TV show and lots of money.

And another generation is already being impacted= gross, just gross.

I doubt any of those folks will end up having mega families, at least I hope that is a byproduct of this entire mess.

Booed no, but once you decide that you're old enough to marry and more importantly, bring a child into the world, you've got to step up, period. I refuse to treat those adult kids as fragile beings, when they have every right that is extended to all US citizens, and in addition, have had a platform to spew their ridiculous, non- sensical message for years. Those girls do have the right to seek real help, whether or not they choose to believe that, or make the needed arrangements.

Once you have the responsibilities or potential to infect another generation, and do not make the available adjustments, my sympathy for your plight is gone.

If they're victims, they need to get real help...refusing to do so is on them.

If the public and media are the culprits, they need to cut their media ties, which they have refused to do.

Privacy is obviously key- there is no privacy when you make your living on a reality TV show, as you've sold that privacy away.

Really, they should take a page out of Josh and Anna's book- fade away into a private life. Either that, or obtain some marketable skills and knowledge that would attract a paying clientele.

I do feel badly that in our country, parents are allowed to procreate and procreate without taking any of the real responsibility for protecting and raising kids to function in the real world. The Duggar kids are all victims of parental neglect. However, that does not mean that you will get a TV show and lots of money.

And another generation is already being impacted= gross, just gross.

I doubt any of those folks will end up having mega families, at least I hope that is a byproduct of this entire mess.

I agree that the best thing for them all would be to just fade into obscurity. And I agree with your comments regarding parents not taking responsibility - I find that very sad. You make some very good points and I don't argue those.

I do find it absolutely disgusting that people would want them booed if they do choose to go to this event though. They aren't the ones who committed a crime or helped to conceal it. They were the ones who were victimized. The interview was a bad idea and I don't agree with what they said - however, they had every right to share their views and I don't see why people think it would be acceptable to boo them for doing so.

Now, if you want to boo Jessa for comparing abortion to the Holocaust, Ben for making stupid comments about Catholics, Derick for attempted Cat murder, or Jill for her lack of judgement in labor. . . that's fine with me and it's fair game.

It does sound like a lot of people knew.

I cannot imagine the mental gymnastics that JB needed in order to make the decision to go ahead with the show...this wasn't Josh and a teen girl making out or having sex- Although it seems in their circle, consensual premarital sex might be a bigger offense????

IMO, this is beyond even JB's big ego and hyperinflated sense of self.

It does sound like a lot of people knew.

I cannot imagine the mental gymnastics that JB needed in order to make the decision to go ahead with the show...this wasn't Josh and a teen girl making out or having sex- Although it seems in their circle, consensual premarital sex might be a bigger offense????

IMO, this is beyond even JB's big ego and hyperinflated sense of self.

Yeah, but with the molestations there was no penetration; with sinful premarital sex there is. Boob made sure to let us know that! :ew:

I agree that the best thing for them all would be to just fade into obscurity. And I agree with your comments regarding parents not taking responsibility - I find that very sad. You make some very good points and I don't argue those.

I do find it absolutely disgusting that people would want them booed if they do choose to go to this event though. They aren't the ones who committed a crime or helped to conceal it. They were the ones who were victimized. The interview was a bad idea and I don't agree with what they said - however, they had every right to share their views and I don't see why people think it would be acceptable to boo them for doing so.

Now, if you want to boo Jessa for comparing abortion to the Holocaust, Ben for making stupid comments about Catholics, Derick for attempted Cat murder, or Jill for her lack of judgement in labor. . . that's fine with me and it's fair game.

Is this a paid gig, and If so, how sad. Sad that JB and M have the luxury of canceling an engagement, but the girls do not.

I know free speech and assembly...but in this regard, I am a hypocrite as I would not waste my time or energy boycotting or attending a Duggar appearance/ function, just to get in a "boo."

I do not wish them humiliation, but they do need to put their focus on education and securing real jobs that match their skill sets. No one is going to pay them lots of money for demonstrating side hugs or creating false credentials. If they continue to place themselves in the public arena, they'll need to grow much thicker skin. Unfortunately, they made the public their customer.

The show should have been cancelled already based on what the Duggars admitted was true. Add to that what they've lied about and the reasons to cancel are overwhelming. The advertisers knew it right away, even before the God awful interviews! Of course TLC will take a hit, but there are freak shows galore out there waiting to be signed to a deal. Life will go on.

So what's the hold-up? I know there's no rush because they aren't taping, but sheesh, it's not the smartest thing they've done. I don't see any positives being derived from prolonging the inevitable. If I didn't know better, I'd say TLC is enjoying the attention. :shifty:

Is this a paid gig, and If so, how sad. Sad that JB and M have the luxury of canceling an engagement, but the girls do not.

I know free speech and assembly...but in this regard, I am a hypocrite as I would not waste my time or energy boycotting or attending a Duggar appearance/ function, just to get in a "boo."

I do not wish them humiliation, but they do need to put their focus on education and securing real jobs that match their skill sets. No one is going to pay them lots of money for demonstrating side hugs or creating false credentials. If they continue to place themselves in the public arena, they'll need to grow much thicker skin. Unfortunately, they made the public their customer.

I think they want to do the engagement:

1) It's a paid gig and

2) They need to find out right now (and demonstrate to TLC) if their couples spin-off show has a chance of surviving.

Let's face it. They are four unemployed people. I doubt that the two husbands (now Jim Bob's part-time errand boys and lawn mowers) are making much money. Jim Bob and Michelle have no immediate income right now and probably none in the foreseeable future.

I've been away for a couple of days but have been giving this some thought. I don't think 19 Kids and Counting, the way we knew it, will be back. I do feel that another iteration of the show will return to TLC in 2016. It will have a new name and a new opening and may even have a new focus. I'm in the camp that feels that if TLC wanted to cancel the show they would have already done it. In their minds they will try to find a "middle ground"...don't ask me how...but I am not in their business and not privy to the forces exerting pressure on them. Right now TLC's ratings are tanking with very few shows even making it to the top 100. TLC has to reverse this one way or another. Unless TLC decides to change their identity all together, which is unlikely, they almost have to put the Duggars back on but they can tweak the show try to make it palatable to everyone. Seems an impossible task but stranger things have happened.

I've been away for a couple of days but have been giving this some thought. I don't think 19 Kids and Counting, the way we knew it, will be back. I do feel that another iteration of the show will return to TLC in 2016. It will have a new name and a new opening and may even have a new focus. I'm in the camp that feels that if TLC wanted to cancel the show they would have already done it. In their minds they will try to find a "middle ground"...don't ask me how...but I am not in their business and not privy to the forces exerting pressure on them. Right now TLC's ratings are tanking with very few shows even making it to the top 100. TLC has to reverse this one way or another. Unless TLC decides to change their identity all together, which is unlikely, they almost have to put the Duggars back on but they can tweak the show try to make it palatable to everyone. Seems an impossible task but stranger things have happened.

What do you think that new focus would be? Do you think it could carry a successful show, long term?

What do you think that new focus would be? Do you think it could carry a successful show, long term?

The only way I could see it happening is if it were a truly non-scripted, non-biased look into their lives. TLC just doesn't do that. They come up with heavily edited fake scenarios and prompt the little kids into saying things they normally wouldn't. JB would have to give up any and all control. It's never going to happen. Any attempt to pretend like this all never happened or to whitewash over it is going to fall flat.

I wouldn't mind watching an 20/20 type exposee into the family and the scandal, but I'm done watching them for entertainment purposes.

My biggest hope is that they (JB and JChelle) would just let it die and be parents to these kids and give them a normal life.

Last question first. No, I don't think that long-term success for the Duggars is in the cards no matter what their show would look like. But the bar is quite low on cable TV and TLC does not require much more than a million or so people to watch to keep a show on the air.

First question about a new focus. I have no idea what that would be. Perhaps they would actually allow their children to interact outside the cult and become more heavily invested in education which would be a bone thrown to people who disapprove of their lack of a good education. Would that be betraying their beliefs? Maybe, but if it would keep them on the air, they may do it. TLC may also require that they keep their political activities to a bare minimum. I don't think JB has any real principles at this point other than staying relevant. So who knows just how far he is willing to bend to keep his show?

The only way I could see it happening is if it were a truly non-scripted, non-biased look into their lives. TLC just doesn't do that. They come up with heavily edited fake scenarios and prompt the little kids into saying things they normally wouldn't. JB would have to give up any and all control. It's never going to happen. Any attempt to pretend like this all never happened or to whitewash over it is going to fall flat.

I wouldn't mind watching an 20/20 type exposee into the family and the scandal, but I'm done watching them for entertainment purposes.

My biggest hope is that they (JB and JChelle) would just let it die and be parents to these kids and give them a normal life.

I'd watch a TV special about the unmarried J'Slaves talking about a tell-all/how they got away.

And I hope that JB and J'Chelle would let it die and be parents to their kids, too. Unfortunately, beyond Josh, I don't think it was ever their intent to actually parent the kids.

I would watch a show in which JB and Michelle got down on their knees and begged their children to forgive them for being such crappy parents and explain in great detail how they went wrong. I would stay glued to the screen if they then went on to renounce Bill Gothard and all his evil, twisted teachings.

I would watch a show in which JB and Michelle got down on their knees and begged their children to forgive them for being such crappy parents and explain in great detail how they went wrong. I would stay glued to the screen if they then went on to renounce Bill Gothard and all his evil, twisted teachings.

And doled out all the money that those kids legitimately deserve and earned for JB having sold away their private moments, faults and anonymity.

I think that show will come back in some fashion late next year.

What they need to do is to not have it so scripted. They need to put it out there that this is a non-traditional fundamentalist group and go into their practices just as the shows like the one about escaping the FLDS did. The girls and the family would need to acknowledge that they got bad advice and then go to counseling and show a session where they are told it is not their fault and the dangers of Josh reoffending. The family would just have to listen and later reflect about what they learned.

I think that Jim Bob and Michelle did everything wrong with how they handled it then and now. Their PR person sucks. Own your mistakes and fix them. Hell, fix them and do something to help prevent their being other Joshs and victims in your circle. They had a chance use their platform to show that they did screw it up, learned from it, corrected it through counseling now, and in the future become people who speak out about child molestation. I guess they don't want to be a little light in the world.

Archived