IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

Yes the adult children can sign contracts saying the money goes to them, but do you really think they'd keep it for themselves? They will hand it over to Boob because that's what they've been trained to do. They just need to cancel the show and not do any spin offs.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think TLC is going to cancel the show with a vague announcement about how bad it is that all this happened, and then, in six months to a year, quietly try a spin-off. Maybe they'll start with a Jessa birthing special. I've been reading conflicting stuff, so I think TLC is trying to have its fundie cake and eat it too.

As far as money-I have no idea. I can see the girls keeping some of it, but definitely not all of it. I think JB and Michelle are too crazy and controlling to not have their pious fingers in any spin-off somehow.

I will not be at all surprised if TLC tomorrow pulls a late Friday afternoon newsdump announcing that the Duggars are canceled. Especially because its almost summer, and half of DC is paying attention to former Speaker Hastert's indictment.

The girls haven't had an independent thought for 20+ years. We see them as victims of a horrible upbringing with neglectful and grasping parents and a predatory brother, but we have NO IDEA if they see themselves and their family as anything but persecuted.

I would not be surprised to see them turn money for a spinoff over to Ma and Pa.

I will not be at all surprised if TLC tomorrow pulls a late Friday afternoon newsdump announcing that the Duggars are canceled. Especially because its almost summer, and half of DC is paying attention to former Speaker Hastert's indictment.

Speaking of the Friday Night News Dump, I hope that Rachel Maddow talks about Huckabee's support of Josh when he inevitably drops out of the presidential race and she "poofs" him from her chart of nominees.

Whom are you referencing with the word " They"? Are you speaking of the adult Duggar children or their parents?

They = JB and Michelle. They could be that smart, but what I think is more likely is the kids (or kid's husbands if they are women) hand the money over to JB. He's the cult leader. There is no way that Jill/Jessa do the spin-off and those two families keep all the money which is what makes me angry about the TLC spin-off idea more than anything.

As for TLC "taking advantage" of the molestation situation by doing a spin-off, I don't see it that way. It's more like ignoring the situation or sweeping it under the rug in the name of revenue & profit. They've gotta find a way to plug the huge $$$ hole that happens when they cancel a show / lose sponsors. I'm also not saying / making value judgements that 'sweeping under rug' is better than 'taking advantage'.

A spin off featuring the married daughters is not going to work. Every TLC reality show has a freak factor to hook the audience. With 19 Kids And Counting the freak factor was always the family size. What would be the spinoff's freak factor? We've all seen newlyweds start their lives. We've also all seen young couples have babies. Unless these women were going to renounce the lifestyle they were raised in and did a show about navigating the real world, they are boring and have nothing to offer viewership. The whole mess needs to be canned.

Also, if TLC disgustingly really does use all of the public outrage and media attention to profit big time off a Jessa/Ben & Derrick/Jill spin off, Jim Bob is still going to be the one profiting behind the scenes and he'll use all of the $$$ to pay poor unemployed Josh...

I could see Jim dim doing this. He's a pimp

Yes the adult children can sign contracts saying the money goes to them, but do you really think they'd keep it for themselves? They will hand it over to Boob because that's what they've been trained to do. They just need to cancel the show and not do any spin offs.

and this is sad. JB doesn't care about anyone but himself. If a spin off does happen I hope Derrick and Ben tells JB to fuck off

Whom are you referencing with the word " They"? Are you speaking of the adult Duggar children or their parents?

They = JB and M.

I read an article yesterday from a business perspective (I think it was CNN Business) and it was really depressing. It was their opinion that TLC is essentially a "Red State" network and they know their audience. For this reason, while they may not continue 19 Kids in its present form they must give their audience what it wants and there will most likely be a spin-off. It would not surprise me if, after a while, the spin-off would just be another iteration of the original show, including JB, Michelle and the kids. If there is a spin off, it will be interesting to see exactly how large that particular audience will be.

I read an article yesterday from a business perspective (I think it was CNN Business) and it was really depressing. It was their opinion that TLC is essentially a "Red State" network and they know their audience. For this reason, while they may not continue 19 Kids in its present form they must give their audience what it wants and there will most likely be a spin-off. It would not surprise me if, after a while, the spin-off would just be another iteration of the original show, including JB, Michelle and the kids. If there is a spin off, it will be interesting to see exactly how large that particular audience will be.

TLC is a LONG way from their original purpose. They are proof that evolution doesnt always work!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-trut ... .pgpE4xYK0

In 1972, the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare and NASA started a television network meant to be an “informative/instructional network focused on providing real education through the medium of TV.†In 1980 the network was privatized and became “The Learning Channel.â€...

Today's commentary from CNN on " why 19KAC hasn't been cancelled yet". Note that Discovery stock is tanking. Down 24% per article linked below. Also that a staffer on TLC says " The show is done".

I liked that this was written from an economic, rather than emotional, viewpoint, as TLC and JBD are all about money.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/28/media/t ... index.html

So this is my first post on here. I kept up with the show until around 09, and even lurked on here quite a bit. I haven't kept up with the show much from 2010-present, mostly because I've been in college, but I did keep up with the family a little, by looking at Wikipedia, reading on here, and catching an episode from time to time.

Once this scandal emerged, I started watching some episodes on Youtube, and noticed the same changes in the show that most users on here discussed. Back around 08-09, it was about the family, and how they did things as such a large family. From what I've seen, the last two seasons have mostly been about Jill and Jessa's courtship/engagement/wedding/pregnancy.

I agree that the show, at least in its current form, should be done, and any re-incarnation of the show should exclude Josh, Jim Bob, and Michelle. The big idea being thrown around is to have a show focused on the adult children (excluding Josh, obviously.) That leaves 7 children who are 18 right now (everyone younger than Josh, but older than Joy, who will turn 18 in October). The main reason that I have kept up with them is to see what the kids are up to, and I'm sure a lot of people are the same way.

The problem is that the show would probably run out of ideas quickly, especially now that there are no weddings in the works, only one pregnancy on the horizon, and maybe 10 potential cast members, most of whom live under Jim Bob's roof. I mean, what are they going to show? Jill cleaning her house? It will get old quick. I would rather see them do a "where are they now?" special from time to time. This way, viewers get their updates on the older children, and Josh, Jim Bob and Michelle could be excluded as easily as possible. That would also leave open the possibility of having a regular show about the adult children once more of them start moving out, getting married, and starting their own families.

Just my 2 cents. I hope this adds to the discussion.

The girls haven't had an independent thought for 20+ years. We see them as victims of a horrible upbringing with neglectful and grasping parents and a predatory brother, but we have NO IDEA if they see themselves and their family as anything but persecuted.

I would not be surprised to see them turn money for a spinoff over to Ma and Pa.

I agree. I suspect they'd see this all as persecution from the evil outside world.

The only "freak factor" they could offer TLC is the salacious truth, which I'm sure they're likely to want to avoid. Touching Little Children isn't how TLC wants to be known (hopefully).

Without the huge brood, Jill and Jessa are just young newlyweds. What would we watch? Jill bungle rice? [side note: so very, dreadfully sorry these kids never learned much, especially math. How odd that an accountant married in.] Jessa cooking instruction manuals? Jessa avoiding discussing that her husband works for her father? Jill taking Izzy to the doctor? At least we'd finally get a variation of the endless dentist visits, but that doesn't seem worth continuing the show, incurring both production costs and the public's wrath.

A potential Jessa birth special I could see being considered by some of the crazier execs, but come on. It's got to go.

No show for anyone with small kids who follows someone as destructive as Gothard. No TLC- we do not need to see the perversion of young minds and lives.

Today's commentary from CNN on " why 19KAC hasn't been cancelled yet". Note that Discovery stock is tanking. Down 24% per article linked below. Also that a staffer on TLC says " The show is done".

I liked that this was written from an economic, rather than emotional, viewpoint, as TLC and JBD are all about money.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/28/media/t ... index.html

I watched another CNN piece this afternoon, speculating on what TLC would do. They had an entertainment writer chiming in and he stated he didn't think a decision would be made any time soon.

What SLAYS me though, and it was brought up again in this interview, is the notion that it might be good business (and good for America?) to allow the show to continue so that we can watch the family deal with the fall-out. I think Dr. Drew said something similar. Are they effing kidding? I'm convinced at this point that if Oprah knew way back when, TLC has known all along. They long ago stopped showing any reality where this family is concerned. Anything that might not play well isn't included by either TLC or JB running interference. Does anyone believe JB would be forthcoming or that he'd change the way he's handled it so far? Does anyone believe that TLC would do an about face and suddenly show the family for what they really are, warts, rods and all? I have to question the integrity of people who would even suggest such a thing. God, won't someone just make it stop?

In my mind, the best solution would be to continue a show (under the 19 Kids and Counting name or otherwise) that sill includes the older daughters. IMO, they shouldn't lose their main source of income because they were victimized by their brother.

No one is entitled to a reality show, however. The family was lucky to have had the run they've had but now it's time to do something else in life. I'm sure it will be much healthier for the girls to live without cameras capturing their every move and them having to play roles for tv. It's not healthy for anyone, let alone these girls who will continue to be gawked at as long as they're in the spotlight. Plus, it's just the plain honest truth that they are a product of their twisted family cult, which they are very much still enmeshed in. They will continue to promote their fundie lifestyle which people are starting to realize is not what it seems, and that will continue to benefit the rest of the clan including Jim Bob and Michelle who remain very much in control of the girls' hearts, minds, bodies, husbands, babies, you name it. That is unlikely to change with the cameras still rolling. Who is the show supposed to be for--them--or the viewing public? And doesn't the viewing public deserve better than this UNreality TV?

No one is entitled to a reality show, however. The family was lucky to have had the run they've had but now it's time to do something else in life. I'm sure it will be much healthier for the girls to live without cameras capturing their every move and them having to play roles for tv. It's not healthy for anyone, let alone these girls who will continue to be gawked at as long as they're in the spotlight. Plus, it's just the plain honest truth that they are a product of their twisted family cult, which they are very much still enmeshed in. They will continue to promote their fundie lifestyle which people are starting to realize is not what it seems, and that will continue to benefit the rest of the clan including Jim Bob and Michelle who remain very much in control of the girls' hearts, minds, bodies, husbands, babies, you name it. That is unlikely to change with the cameras still rolling. Who is the show supposed to be for--them--or the viewing public? And doesn't the viewing public deserve better than this UNreality TV?

THIS.

I'm truly sorry for what the older daughters have gone through. I keep thinking of poor Jinger weeping at the Jessa/Ben rehearsal dinner. Poor girl has been victimized by her brother and her parents and exploited by TLC and she thinks she's the unworthy sinner. It's unspeakably disgusting.

But no way should that show continue solely to support the livelihood of the older daughters. First, any money the non-married ones would make would go straight to Jim Bob, and secondly, and more importantly, continuing this show is not in their best interest in any way. Being on a reality show is not healthy under the best of circumstances, and these are the worst of circumstances. No one can change what has happened to them or what will continue to happen to them because of what their parents have done and will continue to do to them. But any TLC spin-off involving them will not be good for them - it will be totally exploitative. Trust me, the last thing TLC has in mind is the well-being of the victims.

***edited because I typed brothers" plural.

Plus- there's another generation to protect. These folks are still deeply entrenched in the cult.

The only show that should be shown is the one where the adult kids are helped to deprogram, get educated, skilled and move on to live their own lives. If you already have a kid, too late-

Plus- there's another generation to protect. These folks are still deeply entrenched in the cult.

The only show that should be shown is the one where the adult kids are helped to deprogram, get educated, skilled and move on to live their own lives. If you already have a kid, too late-

Yes! I don't see how giving the older girls a show without anything having been addressed or changed would help them in the least. It would be more of the same even though the lies and secrets are now public. Do we just pretend with them that they're fine?

I worry for them not only because they've had to live with this for so many years, but also because they've become used to a great deal of attention and adulation. Magazine covers and book tours are the norm and now they've got the personal shitstorm of what their brother did to them coming home to roost..... It's a weird, powerful mess they're tied up in. They're not stupid but wow, I don't know many people who wouldn't have trouble dealing with all the thoughts and feelings that have to be haunting them now....on so many levels. I also don't kid myself by thinking their parents are doing anything substantive to help them.

I'm not understanding the dynamic of " continuing the show to see the fallout".

The molestation occurred over 10 years ago. The fallout was THEN, not now.

Some people ( many who should know better!) are confusing the fact that the molestation news is new to the public, but certainly not new to either the perp., his victims, or the D' parents.

This has to end. TLC has to have enough pressure exerted from the public to end this mind fuck of both the audience and the survivors of Josh. Even if nothing is ever mentioned on air, which is extremely likely, the Duggars now know that the viewers now know, too. This changes everything. The truth can't be ignored or changed, and the secret is now worldwide news.

I'm not understanding the dynamic of " continuing the show to see the fallout".

The molestation occurred over 10 years ago. The fallout was THEN, not now.

Some people ( many who should know better!) are confusing the fact that the molestation news is new to the public, but certainly not new to either the perp., his victims, or the D' parents.

This has to end. TLC has to have enough pressure exerted from the public to end this mind fuck of both the audience and the survivors of Josh. Even if nothing is ever mentioned on air, which is extremely likely, the Duggars now know that the viewers now know, too. This changes everything. The truth can't be ignored or changed, and the secret is now worldwide news.

I agree! As I said before, letting them have a spin-off would mean everyone was complicit in pretending it away because we all know they're not going to deal with "fall-out" now. They didn't do it then, they're not going to go there now, and people would be in an uproar if they were put in a position that went against their religious beliefs. It's a no-win situation fir TLC.

Archived