IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

TLC doesn't get it. They are so desperate to salvage 10 years of reruns and next season that they're still making "announcements" and hoping the leghumpers will bring them enough revenue to keep the show going.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/19-kids ... 201506363/

If you haven't made a phone call to a sponsor, written a letter or deleted the show from your DVR lineup yet, you might want to do so.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I am aware, everything we've seen about the Duggars in People has been implicitly Duggar-approved. It seems to me they've tossed around some plotlines in the past prior to cross-promoting them to align with the TLC season. I don't think we'd be seeing this latest article about a Duggar spinoff if it wasn't being heavily considered or already a done deal.

Maybe we're get a Diane Sawyer exclusive with some of the older girls? That is if JB ever lets go of the reigns completely.

IMHO of course, but Diane Sawyer wouldn't agree to the interview unless there were NO "pre-approved" questions and there were no limits to what she could ask about.

The Duggar daughters (uncensored) and Diane Sawyer would be TLC's worst nightmare.

I don't think we'd be seeing this latest article about a Duggar spinoff if it wasn't being heavily considered or already a done deal.

It's my opinion.

People articles are written by publicists. They're not "real". TLC had someone working overtime on the Duggars this year; they saw a huge spike in the ratings and People is getting the ad cash from leghumpers who think the Duggars are so "family-friendly".

I think the article about a spin-off is a trial balloon.

It's my opinion.

People articles are written by publicists. They're not "real". TLC had someone working overtime on the Duggars this year; they saw a huge spike in the ratings and People is getting the ad cash from leghumpers who think the Duggars are so "family-friendly".

I think the article about a spin-off is a trial balloon.

No need to be defensive -- my post was not in response to you. I would have quoted if it were. Just chiming in.

IMHO of course, but Diane Sawyer wouldn't agree to the interview unless there were NO "pre-approved" questions and there were no limits to what she could ask about.

The Duggar daughters (uncensored) and Diane Sawyer would be TLC's worst nightmare.

I don't think "uncensored" means the same thing to us as it does to the Duggars. We may consider the way they frame everything through their upbringing to be akin to censorship, but they may just see it as their truth -- which means an "uncensored" interview might not look much different than a TLC talking head (in terms of their part, of course, not in terms of the context and production value).

I think TLC could get away with a spin off on the married girls, I think the general public really wants to see the girls happy and in good relationships. But they would have tone down the religious rhetoric in a big way and they could not feature, Josh, JB or Michelle on the show. They might get away with a clip of Michelle at the birth of Jessa's child because people would expect her to be there for that and it would be inexcusable if she wasn't. But she couldn't talk about her beliefs, it would have to be general family focused stuff. However, how many sponsors are going to sign on now for anything Duggar? I think whether the show gets canned or not depends on sponsors.

A spin off would be dull. The initial attraction to the Duggars was due to their large size of a family. I am not interested in watching how married Duggar children go on with their lives. There's no point to such a show.

Spin offs just don't work.

A spin off would be dull. The initial attraction to the Duggars was due to their large size of a family. I am not interested in watching how married Duggar children go on with their lives. There's no point to such a show.

They might get good ratings on a few episodes, mostly leghumpers and people interested in how the fallout would be handled. But after learning that it's the EXACT same program, just way more boring, no one would watch. The Duggar appeal is their family size and "good nature", which is now tarnished.

I've been complaining about this for years with the segments featuring Josh and his family. A couple in their twenties with a couple of kids has no novelty value, and the way the show has presented them is deadly dull. They're not going to show the dark underside of the Duggar belief system, so there will be no episodes where Jill agonizes over whether to blanket train her infant or Ben spouts off about homosexuals. And there's no way they're going to have a Very Special Episode about being groped by their brother. So it would be sanitized, boring, mundane crap like baby's first checkup and Jill buying used baby clothes, in the same boring format where you see the same clip five times in the "coming up next!" and there's three minutes of actual content in a thirty minute show. I don't think the young adult couples or even all of the legal adults minus Josh could carry a show, and you wouldn't even have Josie as a poor man's Michelle Tanner to fill up some screen time by being doted upon and yelling in the THs.

Poor TLC...put in a position in which, whatever they decide, one group will be very angry. My gut feeling is tomorrow being Friday, they will come out with their decision. One week is long enough to weigh all the factors and come to a decision. They need to pull the bandage off this mess quickly because the longer this goes on the more the media will dig into Quiverfull. My guess is that the show is done. They may offer a spin-off but it won't succeed in the long term. They need to do something about their brand because they look like fools and opportunists. If my hunch is right, I see a bottle of bubbly being opened tomorrow night, but that will be tempered by a profound sadness over the entire situation.

Poor TLC...put in a position in which, whatever they decide, one group will be very angry. My gut feeling is tomorrow being Friday, they will come out with their decision. One week is long enough to weigh all the factors and come to a decision. They need to pull the bandage off this mess quickly because the longer this goes on the more the media will dig into Quiverfull. My guess is that the show is done. They may offer a spin-off but it won't succeed in the long term. They need to do something about their brand because they look like fools and opportunists. If my hunch is right, I see a bottle of bubbly being opened tomorrow night, but that will be tempered by a profound sadness over the entire situation.

Poor TLC my ass. They brought this on themselves.

I saw a similar article from the guardian yesterday, and was already thinking TLC might try a Jessa/Jill spin-off. TLC is a business that now needs to fill a HUGE hole in their bottom line.

I think TLC will try the Jill/Jessa thing, but what I realized is that the last season (which was so highly rated) was actually incredibly boring. It was just Jill & Derrick repeating what courting was and what the rules were and how it was 'so hard' every.single.show. Then Jessa would mess up in the kitchen, and that was the show. I'm not sure it will work longer term.

Also, a million questions:

* will JB allow this b/c he loses control? how does he continue to monitor/control what they say?

* who gets the money? just jill & jessa? will JB allow them to have a job where they are paid? would JB allow it if the money to go to the husbands (and they funnel it back to him w/o TLC knowing)?

* can add'l courtships/weddings/babies for the non-marrieds be filmed? i doubt it and i think this actually where the money is.

I'd like to see Anderson Cooper interview them, but that will NEVER happen.

Poor TLC my ass. They brought this on themselves.

I was being facetious. I totally agree that TLC has a great deal of responsibility for this mess. They have earned all the scorn and disrespect that is coming their way. I really would love to know what Corporate, Discovery Communications, has to say about this. Surely they must be in on the decision-making process. Will this be enough for TLC to change the nature of their programming? I kind of doubt it....they seem to thrive on dysfunctional people and families. Says a lot about the people who watch these shows who probably believe everything they see. They probably think Mystery Diners on Food Network is real. They probably think Storage Wars on A&E is real. They need to get a clue....most of these shows are fake, including 19 Kids and Counting.

I was being facetious. I totally agree that TLC has a great deal of responsibility for this mess. They have earned all the scorn and disrespect that is coming their way. I really would love to know what Corporate, Discovery Communications, has to say about this. Surely they must be in on the decision-making process. Will this be enough for TLC to change the nature of their programming? I kind of doubt it....they seem to thrive on dysfunctional people and families. Says a lot about the people who watch these shows who probably believe everything they see. They probably think Mystery Diners on Food Network is real. They probably think Storage Wars on A&E is real. They need to get a clue....most of these shows are fake, including 19 Kids and Counting.

I do think it's worse when you include religious beliefs in the perversions.

It's different.

I also think it's far worse when minor children are involved, far worse. All those kids are doing is living their lives. It's just gross, IMO.

I saw a similar article from the guardian yesterday, and was already thinking TLC might try a Jessa/Jill spin-off. TLC is a business that now needs to fill a HUGE hole in their bottom line.

I think TLC will try the Jill/Jessa thing, but what I realized is that the last season (which was so highly rated) was actually incredibly boring. It was just Jill & Derrick repeating what courting was and what the rules were and how it was 'so hard' every.single.show. Then Jessa would mess up in the kitchen, and that was the show. I'm not sure it will work longer term.

* will JB allow this b/c he loses control? how does he continue to monitor/control what they say?

* who gets the money? just jill & jessa? will JB allow them to have a job where they are paid? would JB allow it if the money to go to the husbands (and they funnel it back to him w/o TLC knowing)?

* can add'l courtships/weddings/babies for the non-marrieds be filmed? i doubt it and i think this actually where the money is.

I think JB may allow this and lose control for money reasons. He might not want his daughters to suffer financially. Even though Derrick as an accounting job at Wal-Mart, a lot of questionable things have gone on about him and his job. Social media pics and activity show him taking off time from work frequently. If Wal-Mart terminates him, he may have black marks on his resume. But, somehow I think Derrick could find a way to support his family with or without TLC. I won't be surprised if Derrick finds some work from home accounting job. Ben and Jessa are very dependent on Boob and on the show. Ben and Jessa both still come off as immature.

But JB and Mullet will still have their asses chapped for other reasons. If 19kac gets canned and the married Duggar girls and their husbands are given spin offs, jealousy and envy will burn in Mullet and possibly the other kids. Mullet and JB will no longer have TLC footing the bill for expensive trips, outings, and other things and they will be pissed to see the married daughters getting that. If the spin-offs occasionally feature JB, Mullet, and the other kids minus Josh, people might protest or boycott the spin off shows because of the presence of JB and Mullet.

I think JB may allow this and lose control for money reasons. He might not want his daughters to suffer financially. Even though Derrick as an accounting job at Wal-Mart, a lot of questionable things have gone on about him and his job. Social media pics and activity show him taking off time from work frequently. If Wal-Mart terminates him, he may have black marks on his resume. But, somehow I think Derrick could find a way to support his family with or without TLC. I won't be surprised if Derrick finds some work from home accounting job. Ben and Jessa are very dependent on Boob and on the show. Ben and Jessa both still come off as immature.

But JB and Mullet will still have their asses chapped for other reasons. If 19kac gets canned and the married Duggar girls and their husbands are given spin offs, jealousy and envy will burn in Mullet and possibly the other kids. Mullet and JB will no longer have TLC footing the bill for expensive trips, outings, and other things and they will be pissed to see the married daughters getting that. If the spin-offs occasionally feature JB, Mullet, and the other kids minus Josh, people might protest or boycott the spin off shows because of the presence of JB and Mullet.

That would be D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G if TLC chose to do a spin-off in an attempt to still profit off the molestation scandal. They would know viewers would pour in just because they would be seriously curious about it after the molestation scandal broke through. Everyone in the entire world now knows who the Duggars are and everyone is angry about it. No. Everyone would have a responsibility to boycott TLC if they went ahead with a spin-off.

That's what I'm thinking - JimBob, as the head of the (extended) family, would probably be pulling financial strings behind the scenes. As for the other kids, they could film Si/Marj visiting/double dating w/the marrieds and who ever else starts courting. They could also include Jessa/Jill "buddies". Though they'd definitely need more scripting to keep the interest as they're not the most exciting bunch to watch.

Sometimes, it seems like it's been a month since news of Josh's crimes surfaced. But- it's only been a week. Hard to believe, but adds perspective to what may be happening behind the scenes. I agree with the poster who said that bad news ( depending on one's perspective) is usually given out on a Friday- end of the week, not as likely to get MSM coverage immediately.

Today, the Duggars, especially J.R. Duggar and Shell, were the top story on " The Insider", which is usually only about Hollywood celeb. status gossip. There was a very serious tone and many hard questions asked by the reporters concerning how this family got a TLC series in the first place, and how it could have any possible future.

Two days ago ( I can't speak to yesterday's shows because our area had to watch police chase a drug dealer down the freeway for 2 hours) " Inside Edition" led off with the Duggar scandal.

I don't watch any other "popular culture" type shows, and these two I watch only because there is nothing else on in my area except game shows in the time slot.

I would think, based upon my very limited exposure to popular culture commentary, that the Duggars are very big news, that people are extremely disgusted by it ( according to the tone of both shows' video clips shown and the commentary) and that most people do not see it as a viable show any longer.

Today, it was pointed out that the Duck Dynasty people had gotten their show back after racist or homophobic remarks by the oldest dude. One host said to the other about the differences, that no one had tried to cover anything up from the public, that no one was physically harmed, and that Josh's victims were identified by the remains of the report to include " some family members" who would be on the show in the future if it came back. Another point they made was that Paula Deen started her own show after Food Network dropped her because of racism. ( I don't know anything about either show- just repeating what I heard and saw).

Like TMZ, it seems that popular culture media is saying " Stick a fork in it". I consider these people to be more on the liberal side, so I think it's a damning overall condemnation of the show on TLC, the network, the parents and Josh.

Also, if TLC disgustingly really does use all of the public outrage and media attention to profit big time off a Jessa/Ben & Derrick/Jill spin off, Jim Bob is still going to be the one profiting behind the scenes and he'll use all of the $$$ to pay poor unemployed Josh...

The best and in my opinion the only way for TLC to still make some Money with the duggars is with a Show on how the Crew members react to the new Information and on following them on their discover of the true belives of the Duggars and what ATI is and so on.

I now this is never gonna happen, and the cres memebers just stated how much they love the Duggars but let me dream a little

Why are some of you saying that J.R. will benefit if the adult children have a spin-off show? ( Not that I think it's a good idea).

TLC would be signing new contracts with each of the participants ( e.g. Jill, Derick, Jessa, Ben, Jinger, Jana, Josiah, J.D., Joseph).

Legally, their earnings would be their money. Yes, some of the above have the last name of " Duggar" but everyone has a last name.

I'm sorry but I'm just not understanding this concept of human slavery in the 21st century. If they were to sign contracts, they would be paid directly.

Help me understand what I'm missing. J.R. is a millionaire from business ventures. He's not known to be a grifter from his children like Gill Bates is. I guess he could have stolen their earnings for the past few years, but I don't think we know this, right?

Why are some of you saying that J.R. will benefit if the adult children have a spin-off show? ( Not that I think it's a good idea).

TLC would be signing new contracts with each of the participants ( e.g. Jill, Derick, Jessa, Ben, Jinger, Jana, Josiah, J.D., Joseph).

Legally, their earnings would be their money. Yes, some of the above have the last name of " Duggar" but everyone has a last name.

I'm sorry but I'm just not understanding this concept of human slavery in the 21st century. If they were to sign contracts, they would be paid directly.

Help me understand what I'm missing. J.R. is a millionaire from business ventures. He's not known to be a grifter from his children like Gill Bates is. I guess he could have stolen their earnings for the past few years, but I don't think we know this, right?

They could, in theory, become the kids' managers and/or agents, and take a percentage.

They could, in theory, become the kids' managers and/or agents, and take a percentage.

Whom are you referencing with the word " They"? Are you speaking of the adult Duggar children or their parents?

The kidults are all brainwashed. I'm not seeing any of them entering a legal, business contract without getting taken advantage of.

Gothard and Daddy Duggar have been making all of their decisions since the beginning of time. Maybe Derick could figure it out, but it seems he's lost critical thinking skills and brain power since he joined Duggarville. The Seewalds should pack it up and move to Hot Springs. Ben could resurrect his windshield repair business and Jessa could start working towards getting some sort of marketable skills.

Archived