IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

I suspect based on all that I have read, is that the show is not officially cancelled yet due only to money concerns by TLC... many of the sponsors have cited contracts as the reason they haven't pulled out yet (I am presuming they would owe TLC money in that situation - in some cases, likely a significant amount), but I would bet that if TLC cancelled the show, those contracts would then be void, which means that TLC would possibly be losing money vs waiting it out for the sponsors to all drop and pay their own breech of contract fines. Once all of the sponsors are gone and TLC has cashed in on that as much as possible, THEN I bet the show will officially be axed.

This is also what I suspect. They're also probably working on contract negotiations so they can maybe squeeze a couple more specials out of the married girls and maybe Josiah's wedding. I doubt they will get much if anything.

19KAC is TLC's biggest cash cow, and likely one of the top earners for all of discovery network. HBB wasn't a smash, cancelling it wasn't as big of a loss. From a business perspective, TLC doesn't have TOO terribly much to lose by waiting to see how sponsorships go. They definitely will cancel, it's just not happening immediately.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that they will circle wagons around Josh, publicly, for quite awhile. But when that doesn't get them their sponsors back, and they've lost their show, it will be a different story as far as the main players are concerned. Anna is in deep trouble.

If they did decide to air some specials or another season the show would have to be completely different. Besides the total absence of Josh and family, they would also have to cut out:

Any over-the-top PDAs between JimBoob and J'chelle. Also none of his joking around in front of the kids about making babies.

No talk about wearing modest clothes so as not to incite lust.

No talk about remaining pure by keeping the first kiss for the alter. (As Josh claimed he did all the while....)

I swear this stuff makes up a good 25% of the discussions on the show so they would have to really watch the script and change the emphasis. Frankly I'm not sure the Duggars have it in them to keep quiet about this stuff.

If they did decide to air some specials or another season the show would have to be completely different. Besides the total absence of Josh and family, they would also have to cut out:

Any over-the-top PDAs between JimBoob and J'chelle. Also none of his joking around in front of the kids about making babies.

No talk about wearing modest clothes so as not to incite lust.

No talk about remaining pure by keeping the first kiss for the alter. (As Josh claimed he did all the while....)

I swear this stuff makes up a good 25% of the discussions on the show so they would have to really watch the script and change the emphasis. Frankly I'm not sure the Duggars have it in them to keep quiet about this stuff.

What would they have left to talk about?

They don't do much.

There are not going to be any consequences for sponsors who no longer want to be affiliated with the Duggar show. No one is in breach and TLC isn’t stupid enough to go after sponsors. It is likely the contracts have some type of moral impropriety provision and ads are bought in blocks of time so it isn’t as though TLC has some type of exclusive deal. A sponsor removing themselves from a show is very common. TLC has no power here, it is all on the sponsors. Also, sponsors aren’t pulling out of all TLC shows, just the Duggar show. TLC doesn’t want to screw with its sponsors. TLC needs sponsors or the shows are worth crap because TLC makes its money off the sponsors paying for the ad time and they pay more the higher the ratings. The problem for TLC is that sponsors don’t want to be affiliated with child molestation or suddenly there will be a boycott of their products. A sponsor doesn’t want people to suddenly stop buying its cereal for their children because of supporting a show where molestation was covered up.

Hobby Lobby might, but I can't imagine that any advertiser who cared about anyone other than extreme conservative fundamentalists would. At least... I hope they wouldn't.

I just saw a Hollywood Reporter story. General Mills, Payless Shoes and Choice Hotels have pulled all advertising from any Duggar shows

Is there some type of master list of 19 Kids and Counting ad sponsors???

There's a thread specifically about the sponsors. If you search it should pop up.

I just had a thought: What if Jim Bob (who is not totaly dumb when it Comes to Business) agreed with TLC on a clause, that the Show cannot be canceled for reasons known to TLC? What if he knew that some TLC peopl knew about the Josh files but the "Big bosses" signing the contract didn´t?

I don´t relly believe it, still sharing it.

In General: TLC is going to do everything possible to keep ist cash cow. I can´t wait for TLC and Duggar Girls reaction but worts case: They really will sit it out for weeks and never say anything? The fact that only 3 advertisers left the boat is very telling. The majority stays....

I just had a thought: What if Jim Bob (who is not totaly dumb when it Comes to Business) agreed with TLC on a clause, that the Show cannot be canceled for reasons known to TLC? What if he knew that some TLC peopl knew about the Josh files but the "Big bosses" signing the contract didn´t?

In General: TLC is going to do everything possible to keep ist cash cow. I can´t wait for TLC and Duggar Girls reaction but worts case: They really will sit it out for weeks and never say anything? The fact that only 3 advertisers left the boat is very telling. The majority stays....

Most advertisers pay for time with TLC, not actual time slots. TLC isn't a major network in itself so they sell advertising space for the entire channel, not the individual program. Example: people pay for advertising space on shows like Grey's Anatomy because it's a prime time ratings leader. On TLC, they pay to be on TLC, they don't select a slot. Therefore backing out means leaving the network altogether, or putting a clause in that they will NOT advertise during 19kac. It's more complicated and involves more lawyers. I don't think it's telling of anything, I think it's a legal process that isn't made public because the details are boring.

I can't see TLC agreeing to a clause like that. TLC can survive without the Duggars... they'll just find another cash cow. I can see TLC doing one more season of the Duggars, and totally throwing them under the bus the way they did with the Gosselins. Letting the public see more of the stuff JB and M don't want them seeing.

I can't see TLC agreeing to a clause like that. TLC can survive without the Duggars... they'll just find another cash cow. I can see TLC doing one more season of the Duggars, and totally throwing them under the bus the way they did with the Gosselins. Letting the public see more of the stuff JB and M don't want them seeing.

You are probably right. Thanks for the answer

I think as long as sponsors continue to drop them the show will get fully canceled, and I expect sponsors to keep falling away because many of them are getting a lot of posts on facebook about this - and those that have canceled are setting a precedent for those that haven't.

I planned to catch up on the last episodes of the season while visiting my mom this weekend, but TLC pulled them from cable on demand services (I know, but I want to be in the loop when everyone else dissects and over analyzes the episodes). I just checked amazon - TLC pulled the most recent season from their streaming service. I actually paid for the wedding episodes, so I still have access to them, but everything else is gone. It's almost decent of them - TLC could be making tons of money from this season as people try to learn more.

I heard on the radio that they were considering just firing Josh but continuing on with the show.

I've seen this rumor floating around about talk of a Josh-free show. I'm doubtful, though. I think it was just speculation written somewhere and someone picked it up and ran with it.

So TLC has now lost General Mills, Walgreens, Payless and Choice Hotels and we know more will follow. Once you lose big sponsors like General Mills and Walgreens, who else is going to be willing to advertise during a Duggar show? A company that makes money off the exploitation of women such as Girls Gone Wild? Only a company that has no problem with how the public perceives them would pay for advertising space during the Duggar show now, i.e., a company that will never care about being seen as family friendly.

I heard on the radio that they were considering just firing Josh but continuing on with the show.

Nothing surprises me with TLC so I can see this happening, unfortunately.

Nothing surprises me with TLC so I can see this happening, unfortunately.

I can see Josh bowing out so as not to distract from their "ministry," and I can see JB wanting to go on making money and justifying it by saying why should the girls and everyone be punished for one persons mistake

I can see Josh bowing out so as not to distract from their "ministry," and I can see JB wanting to go on making money and justifying it by saying why should the girls and everyone be punished for one persons mistake

Yeah, that is definitely a possibility - and the leghumpers will eat it up.

Check your guides for Monday morning 7 EST. see what it says.

I'm going to hope that TLC just didn't get around to changing the listings. They've pulled season 15 from OnDemand and amazon.

Even if TLC decides to put the show back on, it won't be the same. The name is tainted in the public's eye. Sure, the true believers will support the show but most others will not. There is also the possibility of this fiasco tainting TLC's other shows so they see a general ratings drop of all their programming. My gut tells me that they will return 19 Kids to the line up in the hope that the ratings drop to the point that they can cancel the show based on low ratings. Nobody is irreplaceable. That's going to be a tough lesson for JB, who recently boasted about the show being the highest rated show on TLC.

Archived