IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

One of my friends posted about a segment on a talk show where they claimed there was a new "trend" of women dying their armpit hair in wacky colors. Several people commented about how gross that is. I posted a link to this week's Cracked.com article on "viral news stories that were total BS," showing that this is not actually a trend. People continued to post about how gross it was. I commented, "In case you couldn't tell from the title of the article I posted, this is not actually a trend." And . . . people continued to talk about how gross it was.

I wish I could start de-friending people who don't bother to look things up on Snopes or legitimate sources, but that would cause a lot of hurt feelings.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone seen a meme/graphic for those of us who aren't bothered by "Happy Holidays" (or any non-Merry-Christmas greeting)? I feel the need to counteract some of the crap that's spawning on my FB feed, for some reason. I don't care if you tell me happy holidays, merry Christmas, Cool Yule, or just to have a nice day, personally.

An extremely dingy, extremely evangelical second cousin posted a link to the video for the song "Christmas Shoes" along with a paragraph about how the song explains the gospel and the true meaning of Christmas.

I threw up in my mouth a little.

It would probably be wrong to link this for her (language warning):

There is an adult woman with four kids who keeps reposting shit that sais things like" if you are reading this and repost it, you will have many blessings. If you don't repost this your day will turn out horrible :pink-"shock:

She. Is. An Adult.

She also post lots of Jesus stuff, or complains. Nothing else. Jesus- then Complains about her daughter's team losing( which my husband coaches). Literally nothing else.

I have a friend on Facebook who is overly image-conscious. He is constantly going to the gym, taking pictures of himself in the gym, sharing gym memes, posting his running route for the day, and in general, bombarding my feed with a ridiculous amount of selfies. At one point, he even addressed the backlash he had gotten via status update. His response was that he didn't give a shit, and that he was going to keep blowing up everyone's feeds with the exact same photos of himself with the exact same expression in the same location EVERY DAY. And so he has.

I will also add that when he's not busy doing all of that, he blows up my feed with religious-related posts and vine church videos. I seriously think he's responsible for half my feed. I think it's time to click that delete button. :lol:

One of my friends posted about a segment on a talk show where they claimed there was a new "trend" of women dying their armpit hair in wacky colors. Several people commented about how gross that is. I posted a link to this week's Cracked.com article on "viral news stories that were total BS," showing that this is not actually a trend. People continued to post about how gross it was. I commented, "In case you couldn't tell from the title of the article I posted, this is not actually a trend." And . . . people continued to talk about how gross it was.

I wish I could start de-friending people who don't bother to look things up on Snopes or legitimate sources, but that would cause a lot of hurt feelings.

My teenage cousins both dyed their armpit hair last summer.

• 2 weeks later...

The FB friend who is an "independent consultant" for Jamberry Nails is being super annoying. I posted a status about how I'd like to try throwing some different food-related gatherings. Wine and cheese party, fondue party, picnic . . . Then she comments about how "nail wraps would be a fun addition, and you don't have to wait for them to dry before eating!" I deleted her comment, because I will not tolerate that shit on my own statuses. This morning, a mutual friend posted a status about how she's annoyed that her employer isn't closing the office today, even though the windchill is expected to drop to -39F. Jamberry person comments, "Why don't you start your own business :-)" I normally reserve de-friending for people who post pictures of dead bodies or other heinous things, but if she is going to turn every conversation into a business pitch then I might have to make an exception.

The FB friend who is an "independent consultant" for Jamberry Nails is being super annoying. I posted a status about how I'd like to try throwing some different food-related gatherings. Wine and cheese party, fondue party, picnic . . . Then she comments about how "nail wraps would be a fun addition, and you don't have to wait for them to dry before eating!" I deleted her comment, because I will not tolerate that shit on my own statuses. This morning, a mutual friend posted a status about how she's annoyed that her employer isn't closing the office today, even though the windchill is expected to drop to -39F. Jamberry person comments, "Why don't you start your own business :-)" I normally reserve de-friending for people who post pictures of dead bodies or other heinous things, but if she is going to turn every conversation into a business pitch then I might have to make an exception.

I swear the whole "sell things at parties" world is a bunch of mini cults. Those people seem to always get like that. Of course, my guess is that it is much harder to make any money selling that crap (any of it, nail wraps, cheap bags or whatever it is) than they lead you to believe when you sign up. So many of them are probably acting out of desperation.

I often find myself thinking about how nice it would be if women could get together and have a party without anyone selling anything.

I often find myself thinking about how nice it would be if women could get together and have a party without anyone selling anything.

I thought that's why male strip clubs were invented?

It's not that people aren't doing it. It's that it isn't new or a widespread craze. There have been a handful of photos that have surfaced every year or so since 2008.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/e-ci ... l-stories/

I bet it becomes some weird circle where something entirely made up, or with a tiny kernel of truth, is posted as satire, people take it as real and it actually becomes a trend.

That's what bugs me the most about the scare tactic urban legends that get posted. No people really aren't going up to women in parking lots, trying to sell them perfume that is actually ether, and then robbing/raping/kidnapping them. But if it gets posted a million times - someone will actually decide it's a good idea.

I swear the whole "sell things at parties" world is a bunch of mini cults. Those people seem to always get like that. Of course, my guess is that it is much harder to make any money selling that crap (any of it, nail wraps, cheap bags or whatever it is) than they lead you to believe when you sign up. So many of them are probably acting out of desperation.

A cousin of mine is into MK and unfortunately posts EVERY HOUR about it. I'm sad for her because she is SO pumped that she is at some "high level" and just got a "free" car; all I'm thinking is - I could lease that SAME car for like, $200/month. I mean, I wouldn't sneeze at an extra $200/month but it's not like you're Oprah now... Come on! I really need to defriend her...

To everyone who talks about de friending people because of getting their newsfeed filled up with junk --- you can go to any friends page and " unfollow" them. Then they are still your friend, but you have to go to their page to see their posts, photos, etc. they won't show up on your newsfeed.

Oh I meant defriend. I "unfollow" like, my mother. Someone spewing that pyramid crap and trying to pull others in is deserving of a full out defriend ;)

i had a "bye, felicia!" moment last night, and i'm not unhappy about it in the slightest. if anything, i'm glad she's gone with her negative nancy ass.

i had shared an article in jest titled "13 makeup tips you should take from drag queens". it was a funny, light-hearted article, not meant to be serious in any way. one of my friends and i even joked in the comment section about how the nail portion featured a gif of sailor moon's transformation (the part where she holds her hand up and her nails sparkle as she turns transparent).

cue aggressive, rant-prone negative nancy. she comes in, obviously completely misreading the article, and starts going off on how this and this and that isn't meant for "every day wear" (which, to me, what a woman puts on her face every day is her every day wear, whether it's nothing, minimal, or full on everything with contouring and all that shit). she only pointed out ONE thing in her entire rant that she said was bad advice, and she had at least five points.

so, i pointed out to her that absolutely nowhere in the article did it say any of the mentioned tips were for every day. instead of coping to it and admitting she misread the article, she tried to insist that that wasn't her point. i pointed out that, basically, you could have fooled me. she then even refused to cop that it was a rant and said it was "just her opinion" (aren't rants a person's opinion? logic. she does not has.). i was getting sick of her shit at that point, so i cracked a semi-offensive joke that wasn't even on par with south park's level of offensive.

now, anyone who really knows me knows that i make offensive jokes. i make stupid jokes. i make jokes of all kinds. i rib all of my friends. everyone is equal and no one is exempt from being ribbed. it's something that i will cop to and will never apologize for. if you can't take it, we shouldn't be friends.

her response to the joke - which really just called her out on her bullshit - was "wow" and then defriending me. which prompted me to write "bye, felicia!" seriously, she's sometimes cool but i'll be goddamned if i remember why we're friends. we're only fb friends, not real life friends, and she really comes off as this spoiled upper-middle class girl. she'll rant and complain about how she doesn't want minimum wage raised because it would be close to or comparable to her wages (with the whole $15/hour thing) because she doesn't think people deserve it (never mind that there are lazy-ass people in every pay bracket and the hard workers who can't get a raise because they have to depend on the goodness of the company's hearts and the company doesn't care suffer because of it) (which, if she thinks her work is more valuable, she should ask for a raise, herself, anyway). but then she'll go and show off the prestige cosmetics she gets from sephora (which, side note, she absolutely loves sephora, and guess who wrote the article she went off on? sephora) and the designer handbags and shoes and the new car she gets every year (she trades in her car every year for a new one. i don't remember her bullshit excuse for it, because it was bullshit.). i just can't stand people like her. it's one thing to have money and shit, and it's one thing to show off cool stuff you have, but when you act angry about people trying to live and insist they shouldn't have a living wage, then fuck you, bitch, you don't know shit. did you have to live in an unheated camper trailer for two and a half years? did you have to scrape by on welfare because that was all you had? did you have to depend on the kindness of strangers night and day just to get by? no? then shut the fuck up, bitch, you have no leg to stand on.

A cousin of mine is into MK and unfortunately posts EVERY HOUR about it. I'm sad for her because she is SO pumped that she is at some "high level" and just got a "free" car; all I'm thinking is - I could lease that SAME car for like, $200/month. I mean, I wouldn't sneeze at an extra $200/month but it's not like you're Oprah now... Come on! I really need to defriend her...

That posting every hour must have gotten her enough sales to get that car. It's not small feat to get that high up in those companies. Granted, she probably sold a lot more than the car is worth.

Cousin in Ohio posted a picture of the Oregon cheerleaders and a picture of the Ohio State cheerleaders. Captioned: "Classy vs. Trashy and Classy wins again!".

The difference? Oregon cheerleaders have cropped tops and the Ohio State cheerleaders do not. Because midriffs are "trashy".

And so far, 22 people have shared this bit of modesty policing. :angry-banghead:

I thought bare midriffs on cheerleaders has been commonplace for the last 20 years or so. The cheerleaders at my high school were national champions several years running (often cheering on a football team that was awful.) Their uniforms had bare midriffs. They would wear a colored leotard or bodystocking underneath on days when they wore their uniforms to school.

I thought bare midriffs on cheerleaders has been commonplace for the last 20 years or so. The cheerleaders at my high school were national champions several years running (often cheering on a football team that was awful.) Their uniforms had bare midriffs. They would wear a colored leotard or bodystocking underneath on days when they wore their uniforms to school.

I have not seen it much in high school. But I taught at and sub at schools small enough to only have one set of cheerleaders for all sports and they all have one uniform + warm ups, so their uniforms are purchased with the consideration of cheering at cold football games. The local division I university has bare midriff uniforms that are used in warm weather, though.

What I really wanted to do was post a picture of the OSU running back who seems to favor folding his jersey up so we can see his abs. I've seen it in several games this year including last night. I wanted to ask her if he is "trashy". But I think I know the answer so I didn't bother. :roll:

I will always think that OSU players and cheerleaders are trashy. Doesnt matter what they wear, lol. Because I was raised to be a Wolverine. Seriously. My first onesie sported a block M... but other than that, yeah, dumb.

I had a person put up the absolute worst pregnancy announcement I've ever seen. And it said "gender reveal coming soon" so I watched the next video she posted. Which was her singing, off key, a parody song she wrote herself. It was horrible. Horrible. Just so off key and if she did reveal it, I missed it.

A friend posted a gender reveal of her twins yesterday. The obnoxious part was all morning she was posting "what do you think they are?!" Honey, no one cares as much as you do.

When she finally did reveal, she posted a pic of their names: the girl's name written on her belly and the boy's name written on her boyfriend's belly. Ew and weird.

i just saw a bit of stupid this morning, though it wasn't on my wall.

one of my friends shared a stupid meme that said something like "the american national anthem should be sung at all sporting events...share if you agree". my friend is very patriotic, so she shared and i rolled my eyes. one of her friends actually posted about it, because as far as he (or i) know, there is no one petitioning sports groups to take out the national anthem from events. so it's not only a pointless thing to share but also gives the hint that someone IS trying to actively stop the national anthem from being sung at events. he simply stated that point and added that because of that, it seemed to be promoting divisiveness and vitriol for no reason. of course, cue the pile on from the other friends whose defense was pretty much, "it's america! we honour our vets! yadda yadda yadda! you don't understand cuz you're a douchey kid!" along with other insults at someone who simply calmly stated and explained his point. he tried to reason with them, but they just kept throwing the same old same old at him until my friend actually ended up blocking him.

i dunno, it was just weird. the whole meme thing was weird, too. i kind of agree with the guy, it's kind of a pointless statement meme to make when it isn't even an issue presented in society, and anyone who speaks out about the meme is made to look bad (like he was, of course). really no win. i kinda wanna give that guy a medal, though, for trying. he really was respectful and polite throughout the whole exchange, even when insults were being thrown at him.

Browncoat -- What is it about FB that brings out the sheer EVIL in people? I do wonder how many of those people would have insulted the poor guy to his face, in real life.

----

One FB pet peeve of mine is people who "like" sad statuses to show support. Personally, I feel that if something is sad (death, job loss, etc) is posted, actually taking the time to post a comment (no matter how short) is needed if you are going to say anything at all. Otherwise, it comes across as "I'm glad your dog died" or "Yay! You got laid off!" Of course I know that isn't how it's meant, but it comes across very badly.

....Personally, I feel that if something is sad (death, job loss, etc) is posted, actually taking the time to post a comment (no matter how short) is needed if you are going to say anything at all. Otherwise, it comes across as "I'm glad your dog died" or "Yay! You got laid off!" Of course I know that isn't how it's meant, but it comes across very badly.

I totally agree, however there have been times where someone has posted about a death or sickness or something similar, and I just don't want to comment. I never "Like" those, but I feel Facebook should give another option.

Archived