IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

I totally agree, however there have been times where someone has posted about a death or sickness or something similar, and I just don't want to comment. I never "Like" those, but I feel Facebook should give another option.

yeah, like a "hug" or "back pat" or something

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw an irritating photo/meme shared on FB this morning. A list of "God's Pharmacy" - ie veggies that look like body parts, so they supposedly are good for problems with that part. Carrot slices look like eyes and are therefore good for eye problems, tomatos have four chambers like a heart and lycopene is good for hearts, citrus fruits look like mammary glands (??) and are good for breast health, etc. A few dissenting commenters pointing out the non-scientific-ness of it, and a few hundred ooohing and aaahing and talking about how they cured their cancer with healthy eating and that sort of thing.

(It's the Rawfoodfamily page's photo, if anyone wants to see it live and in person.)

Saw an irritating photo/meme shared on FB this morning. A list of "God's Pharmacy" - ie veggies that look like body parts, so they supposedly are good for problems with that part. Carrot slices look like eyes and are therefore good for eye problems, tomatos have four chambers like a heart and lycopene is good for hearts, citrus fruits look like mammary glands (??) and are good for breast health, etc. A few dissenting commenters pointing out the non-scientific-ness of it, and a few hundred ooohing and aaahing and talking about how they cured their cancer with healthy eating and that sort of thing.

(It's the Rawfoodfamily page's photo, if anyone wants to see it live and in person.)

Oh, great. I'm sure my sister-in-law will be explaining this theory to us any day now. She loves crap like this. Then her parents ooh and aah at how smart she is for "knowing all this stuff" and it is because she went to a university and has a degree. Because an English Lit degree gives one expertise in all things. Meanwhile, they ignore any thoughts or advice from my husband because he is not smart like her. He only has an associate's degree after all (as well as a suitably developed bullshit detector which his parents clearly lack). Never mind that he is not the one of their children who is living off of their loans and labor and breaking four or five laws per day.

As for preventing cancer with food, a study just came out that shows that most cancers are caused by random cell mutations or genetics. Or as the study actually put it just "bad luck". We should all try to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle, but it is naive at best and sheer stupidity at worst to think that eating oranges means you'll never get breast cancer or whatever stupid theory is going around.

i just saw a bit of stupid this morning, though it wasn't on my wall.

one of my friends shared a stupid meme that said something like "the american national anthem should be sung at all sporting events...share if you agree". my friend is very patriotic, so she shared and i rolled my eyes. one of her friends actually posted about it, because as far as he (or i) know, there is no one petitioning sports groups to take out the national anthem from events. so it's not only a pointless thing to share but also gives the hint that someone IS trying to actively stop the national anthem from being sung at events. he simply stated that point and added that because of that, it seemed to be promoting divisiveness and vitriol for no reason. of course, cue the pile on from the other friends whose defense was pretty much, "it's america! we honour our vets! yadda yadda yadda! you don't understand cuz you're a douchey kid!" along with other insults at someone who simply calmly stated and explained his point. he tried to reason with them, but they just kept throwing the same old same old at him until my friend actually ended up blocking him.

i dunno, it was just weird. the whole meme thing was weird, too. i kind of agree with the guy, it's kind of a pointless statement meme to make when it isn't even an issue presented in society, and anyone who speaks out about the meme is made to look bad (like he was, of course). really no win. i kinda wanna give that guy a medal, though, for trying. he really was respectful and polite throughout the whole exchange, even when insults were being thrown at him.

That is how the right wing has completely won social media. They take these non-issues and generate a ( usually) fake meme and it spreads like wildfire to generate general outrage.

It's both brilliant and terrifying.

"No one says the Pledge of Alligience" " It's Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays!!! Damnit!!" " "Taxes are raising a bazillion percent because of a ObamaCare!!"

It doesn't matter if they are completely false and or trivial -- it gets people agitated and thinking their crappy lives would be better if we went back to the good ol days, and that's all they want.

I used to say Merry Christmas all the time. Now I can't even say it without thinking I'm coming across like an aggressive douche screaming it in all caps. It's ridiculous.

That is how the right wing has completely won social media. They take these non-issues and generate a ( usually) fake meme and it spreads like wildfire to generate general outrage.

It's both brilliant and terrifying.

"No one says the Pledge of Alligience" " It's Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays!!! Damnit!!" " "Taxes are raising a bazillion percent because of a ObamaCare!!"

It doesn't matter if they are completely false and or trivial -- it gets people agitated and thinking their crappy lives would be better if we went back to the good ol days, and that's all they want.

I used to say Merry Christmas all the time. Now I can't even say it without thinking I'm coming across like an aggressive douche screaming it in all caps. It's ridiculous.

The Pledge of Allegiance one drives me crazy. My relatives (even the sane not right-wing conservative Appalachian ones) pass that one around on a regular basis. Usually, they add something about how they said it every day in school and there is no reason for kids today not to. Every single time, I tell them every school I've worked in full time, subbed in, and visited when I did presentations for an educational group had kids say the Pledge every day. They inevitably respond that some schools must not do it or the meme wouldn't be around. :angry-banghead: Because clearly all internet memes are based in absolute truth.

In Nebraska, some Tea Party state legislator introduced a bill to require students to say it every day a couple of years ago. The unanimous response of schools was "uh, they do say it every day". Fortunately, sanity prevailed and that did not make it out of committee. I'm sure someone will reintroduce it again soon anyway.

And, of course, I have to hold my real thoughts in about the whole thing anyway. I have become more and more uncomfortable with the idea of schools making students mindlessly recite anything whether it is the pledge or the testing mantras that my local district adds or the "school mission statement" that another district I sub in makes kids recite. I find it unsettling that we resort to indoctrination in those ways.

I've gotten several people on my feed who post the meme, "My intention is to fill up Facebook with baby animals to break the saturation of negative images and videos." (There is also a Star Wars variation.) I guess this is where we have a difference of opinion. While there are some negative images and things that are stupid ("Kids aren't saying the Pledge of Allegiance anymore!"). But sharing things about police brutality, anti-Semitism in France, attacks on women and LGBT rights? These things are worth getting angry about. Anger and negativity can be powerful tools if they are channelled correctly. It's how change happens!

I've gotten several people on my feed who post the meme, "My intention is to fill up Facebook with baby animals to break the saturation of negative images and videos." (There is also a Star Wars variation.) I guess this is where we have a difference of opinion. While there are some negative images and things that are stupid ("Kids aren't saying the Pledge of Allegiance anymore!"). But sharing things about police brutality, anti-Semitism in France, attacks on women and LGBT rights? These things are worth getting angry about. Anger and negativity can be powerful tools if they are channelled correctly. It's how change happens!

It's always annoyed me when people complain about how facebook should just be about fun and happy things. I don't care if that's how they want their feed to be, whatever, hide my posts then, but don't complain because I and others I know want to use it to keep up with serious issues. For me and I'm pretty sure a number of my friends, facebook's our best place to converse about current events and share breaking news with each other because we just aren't around others who care day-to-day.

Did you know that chemo kills 70% of all cancer patients who receive it and cannabis cures 70% of cancer patients who receive it? That's what my genius Facebook friend claims.

yeah, like a "hug" or "back pat" or something

I like the "hug" idea. Facebook has said it will never have a "dislike" button -- and I get that, because people would use it nastily. "Hug" doesn't seem to have that issue. Then again, someone can just type out "*hug*" or something, too.

A few of you have mentioned how many of the "news" stories conservatives post can easily be debunked by Snopes. Unfortunately, the new thing among the conservatives is that Snopes is an unreliable, liberal-biased site. They state some scandal regarding Snopes story (that was debunked by other sites). Conservative don't trust facts.

I am getting tired of the misanthropic memes I see every day. I know we all have moments where it feels like we're the only smart person in the room, but I can't stand the constant, "You're stupid and I want to punch you," memes. You think you're better than me? Give me some actual proof of your superior intelligence. I don't think your coolness or intelligence can be measured by how many times you say "fuck".

That posting every hour must have gotten her enough sales to get that car. It's not small feat to get that high up in those companies. Granted, she probably sold a lot more than the car is worth.

The key is getting people under you so you can move up. Here is a link that tells all about it. http://www.pinklighthouse.com/2008/04/t ... program-2/ I'm doing MK but I'm not pushing people into it. I advertise once in a while, and mostly do the book thing. In fact, I made a sale just by giving someone a book. She loves MK but doesnt know anyone who sells it, so she immediately wrote me out a check for the Satin Hands. I probably won't get high enough up to get a car because I'm more interested in selling. I did bring up joining to one or two people who needed extra money, but honestly I'm not going to force it.

However, if I ever do get up to the point where I can get a car, I probably won't take the car. I'll take the other option, which is $300 a month for 2 years for the first car when you reach the level and the productivity to get the car.

Did you know that chemo kills 70% of all cancer patients who receive it and cannabis cures 70% of cancer patients who receive it? That's what my genius Facebook friend claims.

Yep. And bananas cure cancer but doctors want to make money off of cancer patients so they are hiding the information. Also strawberries cure digestive cancers (just saw that one this week). And asparagus cures cancer.

What makes me angry is that people post those stupid things on my dad's FB wall. He has chemo brain. Badly. He recently told us he thought my brother's new position at his railroad job was scooping coal for the steam engines. So people post that asparagus cures cancer on his FB wall and his poor oncologist has to explain to him why that just is not true. His oncologist, however, has told us this happens all the time. And the man also has the patience of Job.

Ugh, I was added by the sister of someone I have been friends with since I was four. Our families have been friends for years...........but this friend's sister is so racist against Muslims. She keeps reposting stuff from Britain First (the obviously racist stuff they post, not the nice sounding patriotic stuff they post to make people think they aren't right wing racist nutjobs) and making racist jokes, and laughs as she gets reports from people who were offended.

Oh Facebook. You provide endless entertainment.

I am in my county's swap shop group. There are a couple of people who needed swings. Specifically, BOY swings. I said "I have a dark purple swing" The first person said "No thanks" The second person hasn't responded in 24 hours. I bet tomorrow she bumps the post.

Also, BOY walker for sale! Does that mean she won't sell it to someone with a little girl?

I asked if anyone had any size seven toddler shoes. One woman just started posting shoes, and we made an arrangement for me to get them from her. They were "boy" shoes, but I don't care. Someone else asked "Boy or girl?" I said "It doesn't matter to me." They haven't said anything. Another person wanted twenty dollars for a pair of sneakers.

And then there are the carseats! I don't mind seeing carseats for sale as long as the person is honest about the history. But they try to sell outdated ones! One person said "I have an expired carseat with a base, I will throw it in for you for five dollars" When she was called out on it, she said "I am selling the base for five dollars and throwing in the carseat. I have been randomly asking people (as if I am interested) "Whats the expiration date?" 9/10 don't answer. Probably because they know the carseat is expired and then what? Can you get in trouble for selling expired carseats?

My feed is so much tamer than yours! I will say I get stupid stuff from both side of the Political realm. And my local small town government is a mess, it is amusing, and scary too, to see how it all unfolds. Corruption at the lowest level! Shit like that makes me lose faith in guberment.

Oh god, editing to add my best friend has the "keep the star spangled banner our anthem" in her defense, her husband is in law enforcement, and with a very dangerous posisition.

A few of you have mentioned how many of the "news" stories conservatives post can easily be debunked by Snopes. Unfortunately, the new thing among the conservatives is that Snopes is an unreliable, liberal-biased site. They state some scandal regarding Snopes story (that was debunked by other sites). Conservative don't trust facts.

I am getting tired of the misanthropic memes I see every day. I know we all have moments where it feels like we're the only smart person in the room, but I can't stand the constant, "You're stupid and I want to punch you," memes. You think you're better than me? Give me some actual proof of your superior intelligence. I don't think your coolness or intelligence can be measured by how many times you say "fuck".

Fuck seems to one of the few words that imbeciles can spell correctly. I use my Facebook and twitter to post about serious issues and occasionally cat videos. I have had to block people (specifically my own brother, who is 55 years old) for cyber-bullying me and making death threats to me over my liberal politics. My brother and his wife are die hard right wingers and neo-confederate racists. He views George Zimmerman as an American Hero. So that should give one an idea of what kind of asshole he is.

Oh Facebook. You provide endless entertainment.

I am in my county's swap shop group. There are a couple of people who needed swings. Specifically, BOY swings. I said "I have a dark purple swing" The first person said "No thanks" The second person hasn't responded in 24 hours. I bet tomorrow she bumps the post.

Also, BOY walker for sale! Does that mean she won't sell it to someone with a little girl?

I asked if anyone had any size seven toddler shoes. One woman just started posting shoes, and we made an arrangement for me to get them from her. They were "boy" shoes, but I don't care. Someone else asked "Boy or girl?" I said "It doesn't matter to me." They haven't said anything. Another person wanted twenty dollars for a pair of sneakers.

And then there are the carseats! I don't mind seeing carseats for sale as long as the person is honest about the history. But they try to sell outdated ones! One person said "I have an expired carseat with a base, I will throw it in for you for five dollars" When she was called out on it, she said "I am selling the base for five dollars and throwing in the carseat. I have been randomly asking people (as if I am interested) "Whats the expiration date?" 9/10 don't answer. Probably because they know the carseat is expired and then what? Can you get in trouble for selling expired carseats?

Obviously those people don't have kids who are into non-"Gender appropriate" stuff, or they're trying to discourage tomboys and such. My son's favorite color is purple, but now that it's a "girl color" it seems that everything purple must also come with loads of glitter, sparkle, and ruffles. He would have loved a purple swing when he was smaller.

If the seat is expired, odds are that the base is also expired - they are usually (IME) bought with the seat, although you can buy the base separately. I know most resale shops here won't take used carseats, either for liability reasons or because they're just nice that way. Not sure if an individual would have the same issues, I'd just have self-inflicted guilt if something happened later. One of ours is about to expire, and I think before we put it on the curb for trash day, we'll probably cut all the straps to make sure no one can use it.

Other Stupid Facebook Shit: I'm FB friends with my only sister, the only other liberal in the family, so we can keep up with each other living half a country apart. Unfortunately, she's waaaaay into the Woo - homeopathy, anti-vax, TCM, anti-chemicals, Mercury in retrograde, etc. Her FB wall is full of stuff that makes me roll my eyes, and for whatever reason (non-confrontationalism, if that's a word) I tend to not share things on my wall that I otherwise might. I did share a blog article last night about the Disney measles outbreak - her reply was "If you are a parent who doesn't Vaccinate be ready to nurse your kid through the measles." Well, no shit. What about the serious complications, or infecting other people, since it's often contagious before you realize you're sick? GAH!!

Unfortunately, she's waaaaay into the Woo

:lol: i am now going to start using this term. thank you. :lol:

:lol: i am now going to start using this term. thank you. :lol:

You're welcome. :) I didn't come up with it, I learned it online. James Randi, maybe - I know it's used a lot on pro-science FB pages I follow.

One of my Facebook friends posted a status saying she needs someone who can sew four identical dresses, each one a different color, but one with "more fancy" detail, and she needs all of them by February 15. She's offering to get the fabric, but she doesn't say anything about compensation.

One of my friends is able to sew a skirt in 9 hours, but that's for her own body's dimensions, and it's a pattern she's made so many times she has it memorized. Asking someone (who is presumably not a full-time professional seamstress and has a separate day job or family life) to sew four dresses from an unfamiliar pattern to fit someone else in a little over 3 weeks? Not going to happen.

Now friends are tagging seamstresses they know in the comments. When you do a craft, it is extremely obnoxious for a non-crafter to tag you on a pattern link and say "[Name], you should make this for me!" And it turns out these dresses are costumes for a play, so this person really should have had this planned out a while ago.

I dunno, I think - to me at least... - having a facebook is like inviting the whole wide world alongside with all the drama into our homes. The more I read this topic, the happier I am none of us have a facebook in this household.

I dunno, I think - to me at least... - having a facebook is like inviting the whole wide world alongside with all the drama into our homes. The more I read this topic, the happier I am none of us have a facebook in this household.

It is only that if you make it that. You are not required to post anything. Literally. You can have an account and never post anything. You are not required to be friends with anyone. If they are too stupid or nasty or whatever, you can go unfriend them and most of the time, they will never know. Facebook is what you choose it to be for yourself. I find that I use it for two purposes:

1--Keeping in touch with far away family. I am more connected now than I have ever been with my paternal extended family. I did not grow up near them and in adulthood have seen them generally once every 4 or 5 years, sometimes less often. Thanks to Facebook, I actually know my cousins better. I was able to easily be in touch with them while planning an event for my parents last year and that resulted in four of them making the trip here (900+ miles) to be there for my dad. That absolutely would not have happened were we not all in touch via Facebook. It has provided an easy means for us to keep all of them aware of my dad's condition in the last two years and for them to offer us encouragement and support.

2--Snarking on people. Frankly, it is pretty fun to follow some people's idiocy on Facebook. I follow my idiot sister-in-law's business pages and we mock her stupid crap. Some friends that are ridiculous in real life are even more ridiculous on social media and we mock them.

It is only that if you make it that. You are not required to post anything. Literally. You can have an account and never post anything. You are not required to be friends with anyone. If they are too stupid or nasty or whatever, you can go unfriend them and most of the time, they will never know. Facebook is what you choose it to be for yourself.

You have never met my relatives, have you :lol:

I'm not going to go into it any further. To some people, having a facebook means no break from the outside world and more drama. I don't think that my absence from facebook pierces such a huge hole in it. And yes, there ARE people whom you cannot unfriend because they will notice it the second you do it, complain about it in public, call you, show up at your house if you don't live far enough from them.

So thank you for your advice if that was meant to be an advice but as an adult, I have already made my choices about managing my online presence.

You have never met my relatives, have you :lol:

I'm not going to go into it any further. To some people, having a facebook means no break from the outside world and more drama. I don't think that my absence from facebook pierces such a huge hole in it. And yes, there ARE people whom you cannot unfriend because they will notice it the second you do it, complain about it in public, call you, show up at your house if you don't live far enough from them.

So thank you for your advice if that was meant to be an advice but as an adult, I have already made my choices about managing my online presence.

Yeah...that was not in any way shape or form meant to be advice. Not sure how you interpreted it that way. I was just saying that for me (and most people I know) Facebook and all other social media is what I want it to be. I control how I use it, it does not control me. And I think that most of the posters in this thread would say the same.

I also think that this thread is more snark than angst. I guess if you find the entire concept so frightful, I'm not sure I understand why you are in this thread.

Archived