IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

The woman who posted the "umbrella of authority" meme has changed her profile photo to a picture of her husband. Okay, then. Way to erase your existence.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic, but I'd rather have fresh pumpkin pie than a jack o' lantern. If I absolutely need one in my yard, I'll get one of the plastic ones and put a light in it. Real pumpkin is peeled, cut up, boiled for 4-6 hours, whipped and frozen into servings big enough for pumpkin pie recipes. Fresh is waaay better than the canned, and I have brought people who used to hate pumpkin pie over to the fresh side with my pies. :stir-pot: NOM.

I've been posting about 1. My lovey cats 2. Sloths and 3. Ohio State Football (Go Bucks! Beat Sparty!)

On the same topic as the original post, I don't understand why people get such a bug in their rears about weight loss surgery. Sure, it's nice when people can lose weight without surgery. But there's not a special medal for losing weight one way versus another as long as you're healthier at the end. Why do people assume that WLS makes it easy? It's a support. If you continue to make poor choices, you'll still be heavy.

And yet, you see people online occasionally bragging about how they're more special than others because they didn't resort to crazy surgery. Why does it matter so much to them? It's weird.

I know one of the reasons I kind of snark about the surgery is for the reason you mentioned. That people get it thinking it will be a quick fix and that they don't still have to eat right and exercise. I know a few people who have had it. Most only lost the initial weight required to have the surgery and a few pounds immediately following...and then gained it all back because they never really learned anything healthy at all.

That's as good as the one about this year being special because Halloween was on Friday the 13th. I guess you can go far enough north to have complete darkness in December, but NASA has zilch to do with it. :)

Oh, I shared the Halloween one -- as a JOKE. And still had half a dozen people comment that it was wrong. (Hint: if my comment attached to sharing something is "!!!!!", I KNOW IT'S WRONG.)

I swear if I see one more mopey, pouting "this is the end of the world" post from Democrats on Facebook today...

And, conversely, if I see one more stupid ass "We won! Suck it!" post from Republicans on Facebook today...

Elections are not the Super Bowl. Perhaps if people didn't respond as if they were, we would not have lost the ability to see government as an exercise in compromise for the greater good. So take off your stupid red or blue jersey and put down your donkey or elephant pennant and think about what the actual point is.

I have a niece that thinks this is real. the part is Christians are posting comments on how this proves their faith.

worldnewsdailyreport.com/red-sea-archaeologists-discover-remains-of-egyptian-army-from-the-biblical-exodus/#comment-137158

I have a niece that thinks this is real. the part is Christians are posting comments on how this proves their faith.

worldnewsdailyreport.com/red-sea-archaeologists-discover-remains-of-egyptian-army-from-the-biblical-exodus/#comment-137158

While people do need to take responsibility to fact-check for themselves, I think websites that invent stories strictly to try to trick people into believing them are pretty crappy.

It's been one of my bigger pet peeves lately.

On the topic of weight loss surgery I'd probably not say anything either way personally. I know some people who had great success after the surgery but one friend's surgeon botched hers and she nearly died during it and afterwards she has a lot of health issues as a result of it. I know that's not normal but it still would make me nervous to really push a family member or friend towards having the surgery if there were any other options.

I had a friend that posted that stupid list of how to avoid being raped based on interviews with rapists. I posted the snopes article but she argued with me and said she still thought it was an important list and that women really need to make sure they're being safe. I decided not to comment back asking if she was cutting off her long hair since that was one of the things mentioned.

On the topic of weight loss surgery I'd probably not say anything either way personally. I know some people who had great success after the surgery but one friend's surgeon botched hers and she nearly died during it and afterwards she has a lot of health issues as a result of it. I know that's not normal but it still would make me nervous to really push a family member or friend towards having the surgery if there were any other options.

I had a friend that posted that stupid list of how to avoid being raped based on interviews with rapists. I posted the snopes article but she argued with me and said she still thought it was an important list and that women really need to make sure they're being safe. I decided not to comment back asking if she was cutting off her long hair since that was one of the things mentioned.

I know what your saying. It botherd me how people think they know all the answers and medical intervention is all bad. This woman is over 100 pounds over weight and has seriously struggled with it. I feel like it's not too different than telling someone with depression or anxiety that they shod just try harder and meds are bad. All well meaning people just, ignorant.

While reading all of these things I realized for the most part the things I post on Facebook are boring. Usually pictures of my kid, funny things he has said or self depricating stuff which is funny about myself. For example; I posted last night about showing up to the gym to realize I had forgotten to pack my shoes. So I said I sucked it on threw on my swim suit and went I guess everyone is seeing my pasty white out of shape in need of a shave legs tonight. I figured I made the trip to the gym might as well work out. I am sure some people had a good laugh while going dork, but hey I figure Facebook should be light hearted and good for a laugh.

wth? i thought i edited out all the things that make me afraid to scroll through my newsfeed.

Just got freaked out by two photos of someone asking if their goat is in heat. FACEBOOK NEEDS A SPOILER BAR!!!!! i don't need to see comparison shots of an animal's bottom. :shock:

Thanks, The Mind to Homestead Community Group :doh:

I get alot of Obama bashing and my fav. :? theconservativecitizen.com/2014/08/30/ video-how-many-wives-can-a-muslim-have-on-welfare-in-michigan/ sheesh

I have a young relative who went to an fundagelical college. She and her husband have moved away from that nonsense, especially politically. But many of their friends on FB are from college and are hard core fundie-lite. So today, young cousin shared a thing about the U.S. being the only Western country with no paid maternity leave. So how do her friends from college respond?

By preaching Dave Ramsey. If you just follow Dave Ramsey, you won't need paid leave. You will have savings for anything you ever need. Another person answered them and explained that savings is easier said than done in today's economy, that "life happens" and can deplete it really quickly. Responses: more judgment. If you don't have savings, you can't manage money and you have two cars (because no couple ever needs two cars...not sure how those of us living in the Midwest without public transportation are going to get anywhere--I can't ride a bike 65 miles to take my parents to medical appointments, but I assume that means I'm not fit enough as well as not being able to manage money...), and you clearly eat out every meal and don't thrift shop and are an all together bad and undisciplined person. And here's a link to Dave Ramsey.

:angry-banghead:

A friend I respect (at least I did) went to see Joel Osteen the other day, and then posted: "Joel Osteen, his wife, daughter and even his mom were all amazing tonight. I don't know if I should call it a concert, a church service or a pep rally! All of the above I guess. Either way, an awesome evening I'll never forget. I wish I could've shared the entire show with you guys because it was fantastic. Great Christian music, a beautiful family that loves God and has the talent to deliver his message with a dash of humor and so much humility. If you ever get the chance, please don't miss him!"

Yeah, humility is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Joel Osteen. :roll:

A friend I respect (at least I did) went to see Joel Osteen the other day, and then posted: "Joel Osteen, his wife, daughter and even his mom were all amazing tonight. I don't know if I should call it a concert, a church service or a pep rally! All of the above I guess. Either way, an awesome evening I'll never forget. I wish I could've shared the entire show with you guys because it was fantastic. Great Christian music, a beautiful family that loves God and has the talent to deliver his message with a dash of humor and so much humility. If you ever get the chance, please don't miss him!"

Yeah, humility is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Joel Osteen. :roll:

Blech. That tour is coming to this area soon. I keep getting emails from the arena advertising it (b/c I've bought tickets to previous events at the venue), so I hope that means tickets are not selling too well.

A once again former friend of mine got into Osteen just before she embraced The Secret as her entire life philosophy. Of course, the two fit together nicely. This all led to annoying crap like when I said I got delayed for 45 minutes by a traffic jam on the way home one night, she responded that it was because I "choose to believe in the power of traffic jams". Yes. That's why. Because that is what causes traffic jams. If everyone just believed in smooth traffic, an injury accident in a construction zone would a) never happen and b) if it did, it wouldn't snarl up traffic at all.

Or maybe if everyone believed in perfect roads, there would never be construction??? I'm not sure how it works. Probably because it is nonsense.

I belong to a FB group for people who are fans of one cross-stitch pattern company. This company is known for mystery stitch-alongs where they send you the next part of the pattern by e-mail at regular intervals.

Several weeks ago, one person put up a status requesting that when the company e-mails the next part of the pattern, please don't copy the picture in the e-mail and post it in the Facebook group. She wants to see it in her own e-mail, and seeing it on Facebook ruins the surprise for her. She used frowning emojis and everything to convey her dismay. Most people responded that they were just excited to see the next part, no matter where they found out. I responded that I agreed with several TV forums I go to--if information is officially released by the company, then it is officially Not A Spoiler. She ended up deleting the entire post.

Then today, she announced that she was not going to be making the newest pattern because she "wasn't feeling it" and asked people in the group to "keep her in their thoughts." Why? I keep people in my thoughts when they are going through difficult experiences, not when they don't feel like crafting.

Ok, I have just seen what might be the stupidest clickbait on Facebook in several weeks . . .

"This Is What Happened When a Woman Told a Chimp She Had A Miscarriage."

Then today, she announced that she was not going to be making the newest pattern because she "wasn't feeling it" and asked people in the group to "keep her in their thoughts." Why? I keep people in my thoughts when they are going through difficult experiences, not when they don't feel like crafting.

That's definitely a first-world problem, there. Pray for me, I might be knitting instead of cross-stitching tonight. Maybe I'll even sew! Gasp!

:roll:

GeoBQn, those stories made me laugh so hard. Is anyone offering to pray for the cross-stitch drama queen?

So, were you not able to believe what happened when you saw the video? Were you reduced to tears of happiness?

She might very well be dealing with a problem of substance beyond cross-stitch, but I couldn't find any evidence of a specific problem in her recent posts. I guess it proves that no matter what group of people you are a part of, there will be drama queens. You could find a group that raises money to give pug puppies to orphans, and there will still be drama queens among them.

And I can't see the phrase "first world problem" without singing the new Weird Al song.[bBvideo 560,340:7m2ykr6s]

[/bBvideo]

• 4 weeks later...

It's December, so I've had a plague of "I make sure to say Merry CHRISTmas!!" posts, in all sorts of variations. My mom re-posted a Charlie Brown screen-cap, with the caption "It's really strange America is the largest Christian nation in the world, and we can't say "Merry Christmas"!!" My sister saved me the time, and asked her "who said you can't say it?". No reply, of course.

This morning, someone posted a painting (Thomas Kinkade style) of the Nativity/birth in a manger scene, with a caption of "Facebook is trying to get folks to remove this picture from their profiles because it's "offensive". Let's band together and prove them otherwise!!!!" Aside from the crap grammar, I really don't think FB cares if you have a religious pic in your profile. If they consider it too offensive, I think they just remove it for you, and probably ban/restrict you to boot.

I have an elderly aunt that posted the Nativity scene that is supposedly banned by FB. She really doesn't understand the internet at all and believes every single thing that she sees. I've tried explaining to her that not everything on FB is real but she doesn't seem to get it.

My aunt posted a lovely paragraph long birthday wish to my brother on her own Facebook wall.

She is not friends with my brother on Facebook and the post is set to "friends only". There is no way he can see that.

Since two days have passed without my brother responding to this heartfelt b-day wish, she emailed my mother to complain that brother and I are ungrateful and never respond to her. (Not sure how I got thrown into the whole thing...). The email implied that my mother, who does not have a Facebook account at all, had seen the post herself. Mom has no idea how to respond to any of this other than suggesting to her that since she has no idea how Facebook works, she should probably not be using it. She ignored it instead.

Archived