IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

You know what annoys me in that area? The same people who go after fundamentalists in their FB posts and in real life for not embracing evolution and scream "SCIENCE, DUH!" and think they are so superior...those are the same people posting that you can prevent skin cancer by practicing alternate nostril breathing. And I so much want to say to some of them that they are just as scientifically illiterate as creationists.

(And the alternate nostril breathing to cure any and all skin problems was in my news feed yesterday).

I'm laughing for real, alternate nostril breathing? It's amazing that people can be so smug, they just applied their critical thinking skills, and wow, religion doesn't add up. But their critical thinking comes to a grinding halt after that, then it's all about solar roadways and false flag attacks!

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With my allergies and chronic sinusitis, it's a good day when I can breathe out of either nostril.

:roll:

Someone on mine posted that "NASA has announced 4 days of complete darkness in December!" or some such bullshit. Come ON people! :pull-hair:

That's as good as the one about this year being special because Halloween was on Friday the 13th. I guess you can go far enough north to have complete darkness in December, but NASA has zilch to do with it. :)

Here's a fresh one: my sister is recommending a home-made infant formula for our brother's 5-month-old, who is a little prone to spitting up. It's based on coconut milk, with other stuff added - egg yolks, seaweed, nettle tea, cod liver oil, etc. BUT sister's comment is that her kid LOVED his organic formula - which means she wasn't making his formula from this recipe.

Do we have a head-exploding smiley, because I think I really need it today.

I've eliminated most of the people who do annoying political posts (or they've eliminated me. Same difference.) The annoying posts in my feed fall into the following categories:

1. Bogus health claims (Gluten-free/paleo/raw vegan diets are all you need to be healthy!)

2. Sharing things that are well-meaning, but easily debunked by Snopes (New signs for stroke identified! Pope says gays will get into Heaven! Don't wear overalls if you don't want to get raped!)

3. 100 Days of Positivity. I guess the idea behind it is nice, but I don't know why it needs to be public. Can't you write it down in a journal? It is also extremely crushing to read repeated posts about how the friend had a "deep, life-changing conversation" with someone or is "blessed" to know someone (New Age blessed, not Christian blessed) . . . and you are never the someone who gets name-dropped.

I've eliminated most of the people who do annoying political posts (or they've eliminated me. Same difference.) The annoying posts in my feed fall into the following categories:

1. Bogus health claims (Gluten-free/paleo/raw vegan diets are all you need to be healthy!)

2. Sharing things that are well-meaning, but easily debunked by Snopes (New signs for stroke identified! Pope says gays will get into Heaven! Don't wear overalls if you don't want to get raped!)

3. 100 Days of Positivity. I guess the idea behind it is nice, but I don't know why it needs to be public. Can't you write it down in a journal? It is also extremely crushing to read repeated posts about how the friend had a "deep, life-changing conversation" with someone or is "blessed" to know someone (New Age blessed, not Christian blessed) . . . and you are never the someone who gets name-dropped.

Do you have any friends left? I know I wouldn't if I did that.

A lot of you have much more interesting FB feeds than myself. A friend of mine has been struggling with morbid obesity for as long as I've known her (9years) the last three she has been very actively trying to lose weight. Posting her efforts and progress on FB very regularly. She has a personal trainer, posts her triumphs and losses.

She posts today because she went to the doctor and is still morbidly obese despite her best efforts. Her health is compromised she has problems with depresion, heart problems, cholestoral, diabetes. She is in her early thirties. So her doc revisits the idea of a gastric bypass. He has been gently suggesting it for years, she also has three young kids, one with special needs.

?

Don't know where you or she lives, but if she wants a referral to an awesome surgeon in Philly I can give you one.

You should be happy about street harassment, because they're nice guys. Normally, nice men won't even talk to the woman who carried on this argument.

Another woman on that thread offered to take her phone number and pass it on the time one of these nice guys came on to her, but the bitter lady didn't accept that nice offer.

I love the month of gratitude thing where people use it to brag. It's nearly November, so it is coming up soon. I always see stuff like "I'm so thankful that we are able to schedule a luxury resort vacation over the holidays" or "I'm so thankful for our huge, beautiful brand new house"...you get the idea. Are you thankful or did you just want to tell us about all your stuff?

A meme titled "Natural Order of the Household" with umbrellas labeled "Christ" (the biggest one...each one is smaller), "Husband", and "Wife". The husband is designated to "protect" and "provide" and the wife to be the "manager of the home", children are below the wife and don't get an umbrella.

And the comments are all about how this is how these fundagelical relatives grew up and their entire lives are perfect and now we don't do that and everything is wrong.

Can't help but wonder what the poster's daughter who is a single mom with three kids thinks about this one.

I also wonder what exactly her husband is protecting her from in their tiny rural town where there hasn't been a crime worse than petty vandalism in well over 25 years.

That's a Gothard thing. The Umbrella of Authority.

Another person I know has three topics. Reposting Jesus things, reposting patriotic rah rah America stuff, or complains.

That's a Gothard thing. The Umbrella of Authority.

Yeah. I know. And the relative who posted it attends a mainline Protestant church. Not sure why she is embracing that crap.

Someone who used to be very important in my life linked to a blog post by a "former lesbian" who was "freed from her sin" and the comment with the link was "Wow." And I am pretty sure there was a thank you, Jesus in there.

*vomits*

I was so disappointed and sad. Mostly because the Rev Ladypants is a lesbian, and that friend doesn't know. *sigh*

Someone who used to be very important in my life linked to a blog post by a "former lesbian" who was "freed from her sin" and the comment with the link was "Wow." And I am pretty sure there was a thank you, Jesus in there.

*vomits*

I was so disappointed and sad. Mostly because the Rev Ladypants is a lesbian, and that friend doesn't know. *sigh*

:( Did you suspect this friend felt that way?

I have a friend who doesn't get why people who are gay would have any problems with what she thinks because as she says "I don't know any gay people". It's astounding they can think that! Maybe they aren't telling her they're gay for a reason!

I keep getting variants of "remember the good old days when parents were able to hit their kids so they showed respect" etc etc (hmmm, I remember getting hit, but it sure as hell didn't make me more respectful). I also keep getting anti immigrants stuff shared by old high school friends who still live out in the country, most of it targetted at muslims.

I love the month of gratitude thing where people use it to brag. It's nearly November, so it is coming up soon. I always see stuff like "I'm so thankful that we are able to schedule a luxury resort vacation over the holidays" or "I'm so thankful for our huge, beautiful brand new house"...you get the idea. Are you thankful or did you just want to tell us about all your stuff?

haha! yes! i love that. It's so insecure. Especially the carefully staged photos that show off stuff. The oversharers used to bug me too 'til i learned to just laugh about it. :twisted: So fun.

On the same topic as the original post, I don't understand why people get such a bug in their rears about weight loss surgery. Sure, it's nice when people can lose weight without surgery. But there's not a special medal for losing weight one way versus another as long as you're healthier at the end. Why do people assume that WLS makes it easy? It's a support. If you continue to make poor choices, you'll still be heavy.

And yet, you see people online occasionally bragging about how they're more special than others because they didn't resort to crazy surgery. Why does it matter so much to them? It's weird.

On the same topic as the original post, I don't understand why people get such a bug in their rears about weight loss surgery. Sure, it's nice when people can lose weight without surgery. But there's not a special medal for losing weight one way versus another as long as you're healthier at the end. Why do people assume that WLS makes it easy? It's a support. If you continue to make poor choices, you'll still be heavy.

And yet, you see people online occasionally bragging about how they're more special than others because they didn't resort to crazy surgery. Why does it matter so much to them? It's weird.

Because our culture does not consider obesity a health problem; we consider it a self-control problem. That is not true 95% of the time, but that is how most people see it. So the people that have surgery don't demonstrate the self-control, hard work, personal ambition that we value above all else. Puritan work ethic meets weight loss methods.

It is the wrong way to look at it. And I know a woman who had the surgery lost some weight, then stopped following the dietary guidelines and now, about 14 years later, weighs more than before surgery. It is not an easy fix at all.

Because our culture does not consider obesity a health problem; we consider it a self-control problem. That is not true 95% of the time, but that is how most people see it. So the people that have surgery don't demonstrate the self-control, hard work, personal ambition that we value above all else. Puritan work ethic meets weight loss methods.

It is the wrong way to look at it. And I know a woman who had the surgery lost some weight, then stopped following the dietary guidelines and now, about 14 years later, weighs more than before surgery. It is not an easy fix at all.

That's true, our culture views obesity as a self control problem, and fat shaming is still seen as acceptable because of the idea that if one is made to feel ashamed for "letting themselves" get in that position, they'll be able to lose the weight. Just look at the comments made about the Honey Boo Boo scandal, as a lot of them are about June's weight and that she's making her children obese through the stuff she feeds them. As for the surgery thing, there's a blog I read about someone who had the surgery, but stopped following the guidelines so she gained the weight back she lost, plus added more. Basically, weight loss surgery isn't the easy fix people think it is, since those who get it have to make lifelong changes about their eating habits.

... Then he puts you outside in the cold and abandons you to be smashed by kids. If you survive unscathed, you get to hang out in the cold for a while, probably with no attention, until god outs you in the garbage/compost, throws you into the woods to be eaten by wildlife, or lets you decompose into a gross ooze right there in front of your house.

To recap: he puts in tons of work to bring you into the fold, but afterward it's abandonment and rotting.

... Then he puts you outside in the cold and abandons you to be smashed by kids. If you survive unscathed, you get to hang out in the cold for a while, probably with no attention, until god outs you in the garbage/compost, throws you into the woods to be eaten by wildlife, or lets you decompose into a gross ooze right there in front of your house.

To recap: he puts in tons of work to bring you into the fold, but afterward it's abandonment and rotting.

lol yes! That is the perfect ending to that dumb meme. *gotta add - the "godly" light inside can burn too bright, turn into a scorch and a nasty smell to bother ("witness to" lol) everyone around it. :lol:

In my "neck of the woods," after being placed outside, you would most likely be eaten by a moose. Moose LOVE pumpkin. And considering that toasted pumpkin seeds are delicious, what does that say about me? That I like to eat the seeds of greed and doubt?

I'm thankful that my most treasured facebook over-sharing friend is going to do thankfulness posts with THREE things a day. All November. :D Sweet snark, i love thee.

Archived