IGNORED

Duggar Aviation LLC

indifferent

Josh is supposed.to be giving a speech in Wooster. I've seen fliers around town. I wanted to go but I'm at a baseball game.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow so the plane really is getting used as everybody's personal transportation service.

I did some digging at faa.gov and JD finished his license back in December; he is now a full fledged pilot. Congratulations, John David! The Duggars have a new student pilot in the house. Hidden to make the tabloids' jobs just a little bit harder :naughty: Drum roll, please:

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
zXeZ5kO.jpg

Ta da! Please remember that the Duggars believe a penis is required to work outside the home, or do anything cool. So only one of the people in that picture is a student pilot. :wink-kitty:

I'm not sure why, but I love updating this thread

Oh, and please continue. I enjoy this thread immensely, even if I don't have anything to contribute most of the time. :geek:

Does he only use the plane for personal use? Or coujd he be charging people for transportation?

I have screenshots of the license info and will upload them in a few.

There is a commercial rating, iirc, and JD doesn't have one. I think fuel definitely falls into the "expensive" category, but that's just a guess. Years ago I knew somebody with a pilot's license and he said it was a very expensive hobby.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
vOCs7Pe.png

vpAIZ8B.png

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I never would have thought that Josiah would be tapped for a pilot's license. I wonder if it was his idea or if he was roped into it. I'm also curious about his police search and recover shirt. Is Josiah doing the part time cop thing either JD too?

There is a commercial rating, iirc, and JD doesn't have one. I think fuel definitely falls into the "expensive" category, but that's just a guess. Years ago I knew somebody with a pilot's license and he said it was a very expensive hobby.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
vOCs7Pe.png

vpAIZ8B.png

I looked up the differences between commercial and private pilot. He had to have the private before attempting for commercial.

The requirements are:

Be at least 18 years of age

Hold a private pilot certificate

Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language

Accumulate and log a specified amount of training and experience; the following are part of the airplane single-engine land class rating requirements:

If training under Part 61, at least 250 hours of piloting time including 20 hours of training with an instructor and 10 hours of solo flight, and other requirements including several "cross-country" flights, i.e., more than 50 nautical miles (93 km)(25 NM for helicopter rate) from the departure airport (which include Day VFR and Night VFR 100 nmi (190 km) between points, with a time of at least two hours; also one solo cross country of at least 250 nmi (460 km) one way, 300 nmi (560 km) total distance, with landings at three airports) and both solo and instructor-accompanied night flights

If training under Part 141, at least 150 hours of training time including 55 hours with an instructor and 10 hours of solo flight, and other requirements including several cross-country, solo, and night flights

Pass a 100-question aeronautical knowledge written test

Pass an oral test and flight test administered by an FAA inspector, FAA-designated examiner, or authorized check instructor

By itself, this certificate does not permit the pilot to set up an operation that carries members of the public for hire; such operations are governed by other regulations. Otherwise, a commercial pilot can be paid for certain types of operation, such as banner towing, agricultural applications, and photography, and can be paid for instructing if she or he holds a flight instructor certificate (In the case of lighter-than-air, only a commercial pilot certificate is required to teach for that category). To fly for hire, the pilot must hold a second class medical certificate, which is valid for 12 months.

Often, the commercial certificate reduces the pilot’s insurance premiums, as it is evidence of training to a higher safety standard.

So he's well on his way to racking up the hours to pull the next level. He's met a few of the requirements already.

The good news is all these Duggar kids have an abundant amount of free time to pursue anything that requires putting in time to qualify for something!!!

I would not get into a small plane with people with such limited training. Not likely to ever get into a small plane, anyhow-

Imo, this is an accident waiting to happen.

I would not get into a small plane with people with such limited training. Not likely to ever get into a small plane, anyhow-

Imo, this is an accident waiting to happen.

ITA The Duggars are lax about safety in general, and small planes are very dangerous, especially when the pilot is inexperienced. I'm reminded of JFK Jr., who also loved to fly but died when he was only using instruments to fly when he was not authorized to do so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Ke ... lane_crash

If JD and a number of his family members end up dying in a small plane crash, I won't be surprised. :(

ITA The Duggars are lax about safety in general, and small planes are very dangerous, especially when the pilot is inexperienced. I'm reminded of JFK Jr., who also loved to fly but died when he was only using instruments to fly when he was not authorized to do so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Ke ... lane_crash

If JD and a number of his family members end up dying in a small plane crash, I won't be surprised. :(

The odds are far greater that any of the Duggars will in a fatal car accident than they will in a small plane crash. :roll:

Well - I think we now know why suddenly Josiah is student pilot (with today's announcement).

The odds are far greater that any of the Duggars will in a fatal car accident than they will in a small plane crash. :roll:

Most of us need to get into a moving ground vehicle, in order to achieve ADLs.

Most do not need to fly in a small plane with questionably trained pilots.

Picking up where (presumably) John David left off with Joshie in Wooster, OH on April 11:

• Flight 1, April 12: Wooster, OH > Vincennes (Lawrenceville, IL) > Springdale (900 miles)
  • Flight 2, April 13: Springdale > Tulsa (100 miles)

Looks like JD and Josh spent the night in Wooster. How's the night life there, lunaselene503? :D

The frequent, short flights are making more sense, now that we know there's a new student pilot in the family. Is it possible that, as a beginner, he occasionally fails to do _____, which is why sometimes his flights aren't documented online?

43GJV2Xh.png

This really pisses me off. JD wants to be a pilot and gets an airplane. Josh wanted to be a lawyer didn't happen. He was also into audio/video production but that didn't happen either. Josiah wants to be an account, something his brother in law is, and I don't see that happening either. Jill got to be a midwife until she got married. Jessa wanted to be a cosmologist, didn't happen. Jinger wants to do photography but I don't see a website for her so I'm guessing it's another pipe dream. Why is JD the only one who gets to do what he dreamed of? Lawyer, accountant, cosmologist, photographer, and mid wife are things most parents would be proud to say their child is in that profession. Not the Duggars though. :angry-banghead:

What people say they want and what they are actually willing to do to achieve that goal are two different things. Josh has to be willing to go to school to be a lawyer and that is difficult enough without having a wife and three or four children to support. He wasn't willing to delay marriage or children in order to do it. He and Anna were not willing to delay children and have both of them work together for several years so Josh could go to school. JB may be holding back his children, but it may also be their own inability or unwillingness to actually go to school or build a career. Jinger may just like photographing her family and a few friends, but doesn't want to do more than that.

I can't really believe I'm defending JB, but it may not be totally his fault. I have a family member who wants to go back to school, have a new career, a better paying job, etc. But he does absolutely nothing to move toward any of those things happening. Except talk about it and complain. He isn't the only one. I know others who have similar issues with a lack of drive. One has taken five years of full time community college classes to achieve an associate's degree-and then was done. Another has taken classes with a stated goal of becoming an attorney but at nearly 30 years old, isn't even half way through a bachelor's degree.

These were not homeschooled kids. I know some homeschooled kids who started their own companies as teens, on their own, and are doing really well financially. It depends on the people. I think JB would do a great deal to help his children, especially if it also benefits the family, their brand, and encourages his type of Christianity. John seems to be a hard worker, as does Joseph. Perhaps that is why those two have an airplane and college, respectively.

What people say they want and what they are actually willing to do to achieve that goal are two different things. Josh has to be willing to go to school to be a lawyer and that is difficult enough without having a wife and three or four children to support. He wasn't willing to delay marriage or children in order to do it. He and Anna were not willing to delay children and have both of them work together for several years so Josh could go to school. JB may be holding back his children, but it may also be their own inability or unwillingness to actually go to school or build a career. Jinger may just like photographing her family and a few friends, but doesn't want to do more than that.

I can't really believe I'm defending JB, but it may not be totally his fault. I have a family member who wants to go back to school, have a new career, a better paying job, etc. But he does absolutely nothing to move toward any of those things happening. Except talk about it and complain. He isn't the only one. I know others who have similar issues with a lack of drive. One has taken five years of full time community college classes to achieve an associate's degree-and then was done. Another has taken classes with a stated goal of becoming an attorney but at nearly 30 years old, isn't even half way through a bachelor's degree.

These were not homeschooled kids. I know some homeschooled kids who started their own companies as teens, on their own, and are doing really well financially. It depends on the people. I think JB would do a great deal to help his children, especially if it also benefits the family, their brand, and encourages his type of Christianity. John seems to be a hard worker, as does Joseph. Perhaps that is why those two have an airplane and college, respectively.

The whole "Josh wants to be a lawyer" thing--I remember it on an early web page when all the kids gave career goals. All gave Gothard program careers--one of the girls even said beautician, since there was still a Gothard program in that.

Josh wasn't given the tools needed to obtain a law degree. He certainly didn't get the high school education that would have been required to enter any pre-law program. JB and Michelle set that kid up to fail from the very start. It's not impossible to go to college on a home school education but it is impossible to do it on the Duggars brand of home schooling.

Archived