IGNORED

Jill's Wedding Part 2

happy atheist

Given your username and the 2 airbases, I'm guessing you live about an hour down the a11 from me *waves to neighbour* :)

Ha, me too! I am approx on hour from I guess where SuffolkN is, Cambridge way. Small world, really.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That video completely freaks me out. The back-pack guy is weird weird WEIRD! He reminded Boob he needed to make an announcement, he was ALLLLLLL involved in the announcing and I just CANNOT understand two men who are NOT your husband (or even your Dad if you are a Daddy's girl) knowing you are knocked up before the Baby Daddy does. That is just ... totally immodest.

And as a Southern Girl whose children are taught to say "sir" and "ma'am" (but who is otherwise pretty socially liberal), it goes all over me that that baby in the background is calling JimBob and Michelle by their first names. No "Mr and Mrs Duggar"? No "Mr JimBob and Ms Michelle"? That is F'ed up.

I'm a Yankee. I've never liked the whole "sir" and "ma'am" thing. It comes off as too pretentious. I've also seen parents abuse the hell out of it, to the point where they aren't even "mom" and "dad" anyway; it's "ma'am" and "sir". Obnoxious.

That being said, I'm a big fan of "Miss" and "Mr" with a first name. My children call most of our neighbours "Miss". (Mostly women on our block) It's a nice way to be respectful without being too demeaning.

I'm a Yankee. I've never liked the whole "sir" and "ma'am" thing. It comes off as too pretentious. I've also seen parents abuse the hell out of it, to the point where they aren't even "mom" and "dad" anyway; it's "ma'am" and "sir". Obnoxious.

That being said, I'm a big fan of "Miss" and "Mr" with a first name. My children call most of our neighbours "Miss". (Mostly women on our block) It's a nice way to be respectful without being too demeaning.

I live in Florida (originated in NC) which is essentially southern Yankee. I have been told it can come off as pretentious and obnoxious, but where I grew up it was a sign of respect (and as mentioned it is often used by military men speaking to women civilians, which I think is very endearing). My older boys DID call me "Ma'am" exclusively for a bit, but not at my direction. As older teens, I've explained to them why I have taught them to say that, and I have taught them that it is counterproductive to say "ma'am" as they would also say "bitch", LOL. So yeah, I TOTALLY see where the line is and mine have been instructed on how to use it properly and how quickly it can backfire and sound rude and pompous. I just hate minor children calling their elders by their first name - it goes all over me. As a 43 year old, I still call my parents' friends Mr & Mrs. Calling them by their first names still seems disrespectful to me.

Ha, me too! I am approx on hour from I guess where SuffolkN is, Cambridge way. Small world, really.

Ohhh hello fellow East Anglia snarkers! :cracking-up:

I live in Florida (originated in NC) which is essentially southern Yankee. I have been told it can come off as pretentious and obnoxious, but where I grew up it was a sign of respect (and as mentioned it is often used by military men speaking to women civilians, which I think is very endearing). My older boys DID call me "Ma'am" exclusively for a bit, but not at my direction. As older teens, I've explained to them why I have taught them to say that, and I have taught them that it is counterproductive to say "ma'am" as they would also say "bitch", LOL. So yeah, I TOTALLY see where the line is and mine have been instructed on how to use it properly and how quickly it can backfire and sound rude and pompous. I just hate minor children calling their elders by their first name - it goes all over me. As a 43 year old, I still call my parents' friends Mr & Mrs. Calling them by their first names still seems disrespectful to me.

I can relate to this!! My parents raised me to say yes please or no please, and ALWAYS call adults Mr. or Mrs. _____. Actually, it was kind of counterproductive sometimes because my dad would insist we address people like that even if they didnt like it (I had a basketball coach everyone called by his first name, he was a rough-and-tumble, straightforward kind of guy... and still my dad would get mad if we called him anything but Mr. _____. I could tell even as a young kid that it irriated my coach).

Anyways, now that I'm a college student, I've been interning at a large firm where most of my bosses are my parent's age. At that point, my parents made sure to tell me I need to call them by first names, as to project myself as a future employee and not like a little kid. It was (and still is) the biggest struggle for me. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

On the ma'am topic -

As someone who lives in Canada, I can tell you that in the group I run with (family, friends, co-workers) this isn't even a thing! Nobody ever uses sir or ma'am - I've only heard "I was just called ma'am" stories two or three times in the past decade or so, and funny enough, the woman being called ma'am is always bummed out about it, haha.

IMO, your name is your name. If you're speaking respectfully, I just can't see it being a problem to call someone, anyone, by their given name. I never addressed my family as Auntie Alice or Unlce Bill, I just called them Alice or Bill. Grandparents were an exception as were teachers. But even my parents friends were "Ann and Bob", not Mr and Mrs Smith. It just felt natural to me - for some reason, I was actually uncomfortable as a child using more formal titles, even just Auntie A or Mr. Smith.

Ohhh hello fellow East Anglia snarkers! :cracking-up:

:D

This is my secret vice, I've never met another English person who has a fascination with Christian Fundamentalists ( and in particular the Duggars) like me! Perhaps if a few more come out of the woodwork there should be a meet up in the future, I am partial to a bit of Suffolk Cider!

I let my children's friends decide those things for them. If Julie doesn't like being called Miss Julie and would prefer the kids call her Julie, then fine. It's difficult to have them call her Mrs Smith bc I never address her as that since she's my peer, and since we spend a lot of time together, they hear me call these people by their names a lot. It's also difficult when their friends parents are either not married, or - more commonly - are married but she never took his last name. The kids they spend the most time with come from homes where mom and dad are married but mom has a different last name since she started her career prior to marriage.

I let my children's friends decide those things for them. If Julie doesn't like being called Miss Julie and would prefer the kids call her Julie, then fine. It's difficult to have them call her Mrs Smith bc I never address her as that since she's my peer, and since we spend a lot of time together, they hear me call these people by their names a lot. It's also difficult when their friends parents are either not married, or - more commonly - are married but she never took his last name. The kids they spend the most time with come from homes where mom and dad are married but mom has a different last name since she started her career prior to marriage.

I grew up with a Virginian mother, who instilled in us that we were to always refer to our elders as Mr. Smith, or Mrs. Smith or Sir and Ma'am when responding to a question. It was a matter of respect. If my mother ever said anything to me that I didn't understand or didn't hear well, and I replied with anything other than "Ma'am" I got in deep trouble. This all exclided relatives, who were Aunt or Uncle, unless they were cousins.

My friends children refer to me however their parents refer to me...for example, by best friend's children refer to me as "Aunt Bea" because that is how she's taught them to refer to me. They really do think I am their Aunt, and gladly accept that title. Other friends' kids refer to me as Miss Bea, or Mrs. Snarky, or Mrs. S (as my real last name is not easy for the biddies to say). Many of my husband's younger cousins also refer to us as Aunt and Uncle (or Tia and Tio) because it is a sign of respect in their culture.

If they ever ask me what they can call me, I usually just tell them to call me Bea, or whatever they are comfortable with. I grew up calling my nextdoor neighbors Mr. Don and Miss Norma, or Mr. and Mrs. Sxxx. I'm now 41, and have trouble calling Mr. Don just Don. Feels weird, even if he did give me away at my wedding.

:D

This is my secret vice, I've never met another English person who has a fascination with Christian Fundamentalists ( and in particular the Duggars) like me! Perhaps if a few more come out of the woodwork there should be a meet up in the future, I am partial to a bit of Suffolk Cider!

I teach RE so they fascinate me in a semi-professional capacity but also in a complete snark fashion too. I think the closest we get to ATI/Gothard/Quiverful type ideas/ideologies over here are the Plymouth Brethren. Even British Mormons look positively hedonistic compared to the Duggars and their ilk.

So now that we're FINALLY about to reach the magic 3 week mark that Jill Dill's wedding pics can go on social media, I'm wondering if we're going to find out about this seemingly arbitrary deadline they've provided. Did they think the People magazine pictures would only be coming out around now? A 19K&C wedding trailer? Or, maybe they knew Alyssa's wedding would be on TV this weekend and wanted to take some of that attention...I wouldn't put it past them.

So now that we're FINALLY about to reach the magic 3 week mark that Jill Dill's wedding pics can go on social media, I'm wondering if we're going to find out about this seemingly arbitrary deadline they've provided. Did they think the People magazine pictures would only be coming out around now? A 19K&C wedding trailer? Or, maybe they knew Alyssa's wedding would be on TV this weekend and wanted to take some of that attention...I wouldn't put it past them.

Woah, never realized the coincidence of the date. Why three weeks and not one month? You are so right :o

That makes so much sense. DoucheBob knows the Bates are a more likable family than his. He probably wants to keep the focus on the "original" 19K&C. :roll:

I think they (TLC?) miscalculated with the magic 3 week wait and (supposedly) not airing the wedding until the autumn. I've largely lost interest in the anticipation, but would have totally been into it in the first few days after the ceremony. I feel as though the same is true of most casual viewers? Things have happened to real celebrities (not to mention recent political events) in the mean time, a religious girl's wedding from nearly a month ago is comparatively less interesting.

Who knows. Maybe I am vastly underestimating the power of the leg humpers.

You're a genius for thinking of that first. All this fundie-virgin-bride-prime-time-social-media-money-sex-power this weekend is going to blow my mind. Meanwhile, on the mission trip, Jessa is losing her virginity and laughing manically.

I wonder if she borrowed it from Kelly or just bought the same one...

I'm thinking it will probably be a plot point, to highlight frugality and modesty. Buy used, save the difference, right?

Snap!! I'm in Wiltshire. Wish it was a bit closer to East Anglia now ...

Woah, never realized the coincidence of the date. Why three weeks and not one month? You are so right :o

And then we'll hear that Jessa is engaged and someone else is in a courtship so nobody pays any attention to those Bates...

I could see J'chelle feeding Jill and Derick aphrodisiacs and 'fertility foods' so Jill can get a pregnancy announcement out before Erin does (pure speculation based on other thread)

I was just on my FB page and there's a sponsored post from Nordstrom featuring.... Michelle's/ Kelly's MOB dress, same color and everything. I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't a Pickles and Hairspray FB post. I guess that's the MOB dress to have this season...

I was just on my FB page and there's a sponsored post from Nordstrom featuring.... Michelle's/ Kelly's MOB dress, same color and everything. I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't a Pickles and Hairspray FB post. I guess that's the MOB dress to have this season...

It's most likely on your FB page because you looked at it online; that's why it came up on mine.

It's most likely on your FB page because you looked at it online; that's why it came up on mine.

ditto

duggarblog has some "new" pictures online, that Ellie girl is quite pretty!

Why is Michelle the only female being dressed in grey? Is she a man? Omfg I bet that pisses Jesus off!!! He told you not to dress like a man, woman!!!!11

Has this article been discussed yet?

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/41147/2 ... -video.htm

Duggar wrote, "Making one of Derick's favorites for dinner tonight... stuffed zucchini! I love www.allrecipers.com! The zucchini is fresh out of my family's @duggarfam garden! #stuffedzucchini #jilldillard #derickdillard."

Really Jill? Fresh veggies out of your family's garden? Don't you know lies make the baby Jebus cry?

Archived