IGNORED

M is for Mama 17

Coconut Flan

I may be reading my own stuff into it, but I see her kind of defending her purchasing choices as everything on a discount or gotten for a steal - kind of the Christian survivor guilt of only permitting yourself nice things if it's a discount. Such gymnastics and ends up kind of coming across as deceptive. Everyone knows that Anthropologie is expensive even on deep discount. It's okay to get new kitchen utensils and whatever else you want, but it all has to be hedged in finding things at a deal or clearance to make it acceptable. 

I can't exactly put words to it but it all feels so familiar - like the underlying guilt for something normal instead of - I have this money and decided to buy this thing. 

But I guess that kind of gets into influencer culture where it's also bizarre to be telling everyone all about the purchases you made. It sounds like such a nightmare to me to have chosen no privacy.

• Upvote 15

5 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I may be reading my own stuff into it, but I see her kind of defending her purchasing choices as everything on a discount or gotten for a steal - kind of the Christian survivor guilt of only permitting yourself nice things if it's a discount. Such gymnastics and ends up kind of coming across as deceptive. Everyone knows that Anthropologie is expensive even on deep discount. It's okay to get new kitchen utensils and whatever else you want, but it all has to be hedged in finding things at a deal or clearance to make it acceptable. 

I can't exactly put words to it but it all feels so familiar - like the underlying guilt for something normal instead of - I have this money and decided to buy this thing. 

But I guess that kind of gets into influencer culture where it's also bizarre to be telling everyone all about the purchases you made. It sounds like such a nightmare to me to have chosen no privacy.

It’s because riches weren’t seen as godly in the Bible and most Christian’s know this. The Bible says it’s easier for a camel to go through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven. There were plenty of poor and godly people in the Bible. Braggie knows this. And she feels the need to defend her life of luxury. 

• Upvote 11

There is no getting around the fact that the H’s, and Abbie in particular, are the ultimate consumers. These people just revamped an entire 5 YO kitchen and dining room floor because of a purported “broken pipe.” Yet, somehow, the curtains covering the floor to ceiling windows in the dining room didn’t get wet. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a new kitchen and wanting newer, brighter and higher end stuff (which this family will not care for as history shows), but don’t lie about it online. It’s crap like this that makes her adoring fans feel badly about themselves, their homes and all the stuff that they are not “blessed” to have, because AH couches all of this crap in religion. God really wanted this hardworking, homeschooling, country living, mother of TEN to have all these wonderful home improvements, and all on the cheap- Her behaviors are both deceitful and despicable; certainly NOT godly.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

This may not be exactly the right color or specs, but I'm pretty sure it's the stove they got: https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/UPN150FDMPBLLP.html

It's $10k. 

I think what Abbie has had for awhile is what many people deal with when they gather fame as an influencer. She started gaining a following doing thrifted outfit ideas and meal plans and homeschool ideas. The reason mommy blogs did well is because many people did relate to that kind of content. It wasn't purely aspirational, it was something you could actually follow or learn from. But now that she's two custom homes in and the book did well and Shaun already makes a lot of money and they have income property, it's not at all relatable. She very well may get some kind of personal satisfaction from finding a "good deal," but she has no need to do that. Because she wants to be seen as a relatable advice-giver whose life is going great and you can model yours off of, she can't be honest about how not relatable her life is. It's not relatable to moms who work and send their kids to school, to regular stay at home parents who have more typical means or make sacrifices to be single-income, or even to mega moms who actually do have to find the sales to clothe their children appropriately. She has to dismiss the idea of privilege in order to pretend that she can "speak into" the struggles other moms face.

Abbie is like Rachel Hollis when she did the tiktok or ig story or whatever about her "toilet lady" and then freaked out when people said she wasn't relatable because she doesn't want to be relatable. 

I'm never going to be a person who can afford a 10k stove (nor do I want to omg I'd have to obsessively clean it). But if I aspired to be someone who can drop 10k on a stove, the last thing I would do is have children of any number, let alone not prevent pregnancy. 

• Upvote 11

Currently, Abbie is doing an ask anything Wednesday. She just mentioned that her dad was diagnosed with Bipolar Disease and that his manic episodes were very hard on the family. I know in the past that Abbie had mentioned having a less than ideal childhood. I hope she protects her own health and seeks appropriate treatments as needed. I am not shocked to hear that there is a family history of illness in AH’s family-

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Let’s hope her dad doesn’t mind her sharing his mental health info for the world to see. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 12

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Let’s hope her dad doesn’t mind her sharing his mental health info for the world to see. 

Anything for a click.

• Upvote 7

I had to move my post about ear piercing to the Bontrager thread. Sorry! 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Imagine being 20 years old and not getting your ears pierced because your dad says no. 

B60522DB-A251-4C26-95AC-60B3DF51BF3D.jpeg

What a way to live life. "How do I phrase this in such a way so that as soon as I get my ears pierced I don't look like a hypocrite? Oh, I know! Daddy won't let me." 

I have to hand it to her, though. "While living at home" sounds better than the Duggar then-girls when they talked about being skirts-only. IIRC the way they phrased it was along the lines of "it's our personal conviction" and then became a big deal to some when they started wearing pants. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Giraffe said:

What a way to live life. "How do I phrase this in such a way so that as soon as I get my ears pierced I don't look like a hypocrite? Oh, I know! Daddy won't let me." 

I have to hand it to her, though. "While living at home" sounds better than the Duggar then-girls when they talked about being skirts-only. IIRC the way they phrased it was along the lines of "it's our personal conviction" and then became a big deal to some when they started wearing pants. 

Ugh sorry I posted on the wrong thread! 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ugh sorry I posted on the wrong thread! 

Ha! These fundies blend so well that I never even noticed, lol.

• I Agree 3

New armoire from Anthro and @ deep discount. Placed right next to the foot of the stairs. She is talks about her dad, well that nut did not fall far from the tree.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, SassyPants said:

New armoire from Anthro and @ deep discount. Placed right next to the foot of the stairs. She is talks about her dad, well that nut did not fall far from the tree.

I feel sorry for her dad.  He might not have wanted her to go public about his condition.

She has a video on her instagram page about finally being back in the house.  Her kitchen is so family friendly and well thought out that a couple of her kids are eating on the floor.  Nice job, there, you selfish cow!  And of course she needed another hutch with random Abbie stuff on the shelves.  That isn't her family's house.  It's just Abbie's and the family gets to live there.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 3

In general, I don’t hate Abbie’s decorating style, but the off colors of the stove and cabinets would drive me bonkers.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4deb74b80b50eca3b140bae5a5147e2a.png

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 12

14 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

In general, I don’t hate Abbie’s decorating style, but the off colors of the stove and cabinets would drive me bonkers.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.4deb74b80b50eca3b140bae5a5147e2a.png

Oh that makes my eye twitch. It’s so close but not the same color. I can’t stand it.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

How long will it take before Abbie has to have the entire kitchen repainted to match the stove?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

Oh yeah - that's the current hot influencer stove, I've seen it all over IG and TikTok.  Those colors not matching is eye-twitching, but Braggie probably thinks it makes her quirky, as always.  And why am I not shocked at the Stanley strategically placed on the counter, LOL. 

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh that makes my eye twitch. It’s so close but not the same color. I can’t stand it.

And the bare wood island isn't finished yet, right? RIGHT? The tonal mismatch between it and the hood is awful. Abbie has no idea how to create a cohesive space. Her color theory is shit and she has no sense of harmony or balance but everything is expensive that's good enough for her.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Open shelves next to a stove is just asking for oil/grease accumulation on the items on the shelves. Is she expecting that her child labor will wash those items daily, or has her little hamster wheel brain malfunctioned enough to not realize the obvious issue. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

Just now, Rowan said:

Open shelves next to a stove is just asking for oil/grease accumulation on the items on the shelves. Is she expecting that her child labor will wash those items daily, or has her little hamster wheel brain malfunctioned enough to not realize the obvious issue. 

I totally agree. I absolutely hate cleaning the weird air grease dust mixture close to my stove. It’s ridiculously hard to clean. I would never put shelves right by my stove. 

• Upvote 7

I liked the old range hood better

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rowan said:

Does nanny-grandma do the cleaning? Braggie might not even notice all the things her mom does around the house.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

All I've got to say is if I had money for that stove I had better have money for a cleaner cause I ain't cleaning it. I want my next stove to be one of those flat easy to clean things😂

• Upvote 9

Abbie says that the twins just woke up from their naps and "decorated the floor and walls" with the contents of their diapers.  She says that she'd put off potty training until they got home.  WTH?  The boys are 3 1/2 now, right?  I'm all for making sure kids are ready but not even attempting until 3 1/2 is sort of over the line.  Most kids have to be toilet trained to get into nursery school programs by two or three.  I guess she wanted to wait until they were back in their house so her mom could handle it.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 7
  • WTF 3

14 minutes ago, Xan said:

Abbie says that the twins just woke up from their naps and "decorated the floor and walls" with the contents of their diapers.  She says that she'd put off potty training until they got home.  WTH?  The boys are 3 1/2 now, right?  I'm all for making sure kids are ready but not even attempting until 3 1/2 is sort of over the line.  Most kids have to be toilet trained to get into nursery school programs by two or three.  I guess she wanted to wait until they were back in their house so her mom could handle it.

As someone who had a child who was extremely difficult to toilet train, he never covered the walls with shit. You know why? Because when my kid woke up from a nap, I went and got him. I guarantee she knew they were awake in their room and didn’t go get them for a very long time. And that’s ok if you have a camera in their room. Then you can see if they are smearing their shit everywhere. But I don’t know why she’s always telling everyone about how she neglects her babies and toddlers. She tells stories like this all the time. Where Shiloh makes a huge mess because he wasn’t being supervised. She’s so neglectful. And proud of it somehow. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic