IGNORED

Maxwells 59: On the Road Again

Coconut Flan

Now that it's over, I think Steve is somehow figuring out a way to take full credit.  His girls went to a Christian college and one has married.  The other may be involved in some church work using her degree.  Had he and Teri not done such a good job of indoctrinating the two girls and educating them, they might not have done so well.  Yes -- all in all it's a feather in his cap.  Maybe they might not be available to care for him and Teri in their declining years but he will never admit that something that turned out successful wasn't his idea.  He's too full of himself for that.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Xan said:

Now that it's over, I think Steve is somehow figuring out a way to take full credit.  His girls went to a Christian college and one has married.  The other may be involved in some church work using her degree.  Had he and Teri not done such a good job of indoctrinating the two girls and educating them, they might not have done so well.

Of course they only resisted the temptations of college and stayed on the path of righteousness due to Steve raising them right!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, Xan said:

Now that it's over, I think Steve is somehow figuring out a way to take full credit.  His girls went to a Christian college and one has married.  The other may be involved in some church work using her degree.  Had he and Teri not done such a good job of indoctrinating the two girls and educating them, they might not have done so well.  Yes -- all in all it's a feather in his cap.  Maybe they might not be available to care for him and Teri in their declining years but he will never admit that something that turned out successful wasn't his idea.  He's too full of himself for that.

I agree. I think we will see that same sort of thing with Jill Rod as well. Even if a child does things a little differently, she will make it look like it’s all her doing and take credit for it. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

9 hours ago, Xan said:

Of course it was his choice. Chris & Anna offered to let Steve &. Teri move in with them when they can't live on their own anymore so it freed up the girls to go to college. That was plan b all along they just never shared it with anyone. /s

I wonder if Steve or Zsu or Jill ever step back and question their own hypocrisy when it comes tk their chidlren. It's as if what they wrote 10 years ago - that absolute with no caveats - never existed but they "forget" the internet is forever so we can see just how much they've gone against their own absolutes. I know, I know, of course they don't. But what's wild to me is most people wouldn't care that they've changed. We all change and grow and figure out that that black and white statement we made years ago was actually bullshit - and then we change! But that change often comes with a comical "you're not going to believe what I used to believe on this!" But change is so awful to them that they choose to lie instead. "No growth here. We're the same as we've always been. You misread that statement tend years ago."

• Upvote 9

How will Steve rationalize Anna and Mary and sports, shorts, tees, and track pants?  No fake Cross Fit exercising in the basement in long denim shirts and layers of clothing not to show a collar bone.

Anna and Mary were right out in public, in front of God and everyone, showing legs and collar bones. How would Stevehovah take full credit for that?  Certainly not the uber modest dress he mandated for years and that Teri still wears.

My fantasy is that when Steve passes (and goes wherever it is he goes), Teri will come home from the funeral, change into shorts and a tee, and crack open an ice cold Pepsi. Then she'll start dinner of burritos over loaded with meat, cheese, peppers, and onions to be topped with sour cream and salsa. ice cold Pepsi on the side, and her favorite flavor of Haagen Daz for dessert.

• Upvote 14
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

My fantasy is that when Steve passes (and goes wherever it is he goes), Teri will come home from the funeral, change into shorts and a tee, and crack open an ice cold Pepsi. Then she'll start dinner of burritos over loaded with meat, cheese, peppers, and onions to be topped with sour cream and salsa. ice cold Pepsi on the side, and her favorite flavor of Haagen Daz for dessert.

And then she'll binge watch David Attenborough's nature series and join a penny-ante poker club.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

Posted (edited)

Both Mary and Anna graduated with Highest Honours 

IMG_5136.jpeg

Edited by Zee
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 18
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Zee said:

Both Mary and Anna graduated with Highest Honours 

IMG_5136.jpeg

Steve will spin that as, “see how well homeschooling works.” Even though many days his wife was dealing with depression and he had to try to squeeze in some homeschooling of the kids when he got home from work. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

36 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Steve will spin that as, “see how well homeschooling works.” Even though many days his wife was dealing with depression and he had to try to squeeze in some homeschooling of the kids when he got home from work. 

I agree. I also wonder if they would have done as well at majors that were not steeped in the Bible. Of course they will do well in courses about the Bible and Christian world view but how would they have faired in organic chemistry. I am not criticising what they studied just pointing out that they were well prepared for this course of study and that does not mean that the methods/products they used would work well for others with other goals. 

• Upvote 17

I think the inverted honors curve also shows a lot about the overall lack of academic rigor of the school.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 13

Wow, so glad both have graduated!  Who could have imagined just a few years ago?  Still gobsmacked at the abrupt changes for the Maxwell women. 

Does Anna have a beau? 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Well consider that those girls didn't have anything else to do besides dust ceiling fans and roll up bean burritos.  They could also be very smart and were dutiful students on their own. 

• Upvote 12

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

I think the inverted honors curve also shows a lot about the overall lack of academic rigor of the school.  

Excellent point.

While getting 4-year degrees from a school like ABC is way better than SOTDRT, an ABC education doesn't exactly fit its graduates for much more than work inside the fundie Christian bubble - a major in camping ministry

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I was confused by that, too. How many students graduated? There are 16 students with “highest honors”. If they are 16 out of 500, that’s an achievement. If they are 16 out of 35, well, they’re just above average.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

Yet only one student is in the "honors" level?   

• Upvote 5

Even if it's not an academically rigorous university, it's still something - they left the Borg and met people outside of their family bubble. 

Imagine someone telling us five years ago that, in May 2024, Sarah and Mary would BOTH be married, and that Anna and Mary would have graduated from university. I don't think any of us would've believed it! I just checked - five years ago, in May, the family ripped out Gigi's old porch and replaced it, and baby Deborah was born. 

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

I was confused by that, too. How many students graduated? There are 16 students with “highest honors”. If they are 16 out of 500, that’s an achievement. If they are 16 out of 35, well, they’re just above average.

Wikipedia shows 250 as the total number of students in the school. That could be the entire graduating class. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

11 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

The graduates appear to be in the first three rows and perhaps half or so of them graduated with one of the three levels of "honor?"  

• Upvote 5

I’m relieved to learn that ABC is accredited, and that its elementary ed major is certified.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

Don’t know what Anna’s degree is in, but wouldn’t it be wonderful if it was in teaching, business or nursing (weirdly they offer this degree in their Missions program) which would allow her to get a decent  paying job anywhere!  Wonder where her passions lie?

• Upvote 10

On 5/8/2024 at 1:56 PM, Zee said:

I agree. I also wonder if they would have done as well at majors that were not steeped in the Bible. Of course they will do well in courses about the Bible and Christian world view but how would they have faired in organic chemistry. I am not criticising what they studied just pointing out that they were well prepared for this course of study and that does not mean that the methods/products they used would work well for others with other goals. 

I was going to say the same thing.  They were forced to have a lot of bible time all their lives. Something would be seriously wrong if they didn't get high honors at bible school.  My cousin was born in Italy.  We both took four years of Italian at the same high school.  Italian was easy for me because I had relatives who didn't speak English, including my grandmother. Italian was like breathing to her because it was her first language.  Neither of us would have found Chinese as easy as Italian was. 

• Upvote 9

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 3:08 PM, Hane said:

I’m relieved to learn that ABC is accredited, and that its elementary ed major is certified.

I was coming here to say this. It’s head and shoulders above some of these other Bible colleges. 

I hope Anna did major in elementary education. She wouldn’t get rich, but could definitely support herself if need be. And she loves kids so it would be right up her alley. 

I didn’t realize ABC had a nursing degree.  

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 8

Yes, ABC is better than Crown College and the 2 colleges poor Phillip Rodrigues attended. It’s too bad he couldn’t go to ABC. It’s not that far. 

• Upvote 7

On 5/9/2024 at 3:08 PM, Hane said:

I wouldn't trust anyone from that school teaching my kids.  Even if they left the religion out of it, I still wouldn't trust them.  I looked at their course catalog, compared it to the curriculum at a local university near me, and I can't for the life of me figure out how they fulfill the requirements necessary for teaching.  The difference in courses is like night and day. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

They fulfill the West Virginia requirements and those may be more lenient than some other states plus whoever did the evaluation may have been generous. 

• Upvote 9