IGNORED

William & Kate 3

samurai_sarah

I feel like the Sussexes are not interested in being relevant to the BRF. They are busy enjoying life, going to see Taylor Swift, traveling to Japan, etc. 

I doubt they are paying attention to sad little homophobic museum openings.

2 hours ago, TN-peach said:

I wonder if there was has been some push for some public show of remembrance and Charles 1. doesn't want to do it. 2. doesn't really think it is appropriate but his conviction isn't that strong 3. doesn't want to give up on his vacation.  It could be "well I don't think it is appropriate for the reigning monarch to it but there is no reason why William couldn't lay a wreath or stand outside while bells ring."  We don't know exactly how they plan to mark the anniversary.  I think it all depends on how formal the proceedings are.

The country is in a massive cost of living crisis. That should be the focus.

I think the country has spent enough on the royals dor quite a while

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Have they come out with coins with Charles on them yet?

Yes, the new designs were revealed pretty quickly but they're not releasing a whole suite of new coins all at once. Existing stock with Queen Elizabeth on will continue to be released, and the first 50p pieces with Charles on were released in December.  Notes will enter circulation in mid-2024.

The use of cash is steeply declining so it might be while before some people notice.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

4 minutes ago, rosamundi said:

Yes, the new designs were revealed pretty quickly but they're not releasing a whole suite of new coins all at once. Existing stock with Queen Elizabeth on will continue to be released, and the first 50p pieces with Charles on were released in December.  Notes will enter circulation in mid-2024.

The use of cash is steeply declining so it might be while before some people notice.

Thanks! Honestly I'm mostly interested because some of my youtube background while I'm knitting or doing other things are either mudlarks on the Thames in London, or a metal detectorist in Scotland. They are often finding coins of all sorts from various time periods.

It was fun how excited the guy in Scotland was to find a US mercury dime, once. Those are apparently mega-common to find in most of the US. One of his friends found a US wheat penny and was equally happy. So they find US coins fascinating and many people in the US find their coins fascinating.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, TN-peach said:

I feel like the two couples are trying to split the difference.  Charles is sticking a bit more to the traditional ways but giving William a little bit more room to be more open.  If anything the past few years should have shown Charles is that William is loyal to the RF and to Charles.

I wonder if there was has been some push for some public show of remembrance and Charles 1. doesn't want to do it. 2. doesn't really think it is appropriate but his conviction isn't that strong 3. doesn't want to give up on his vacation.  It could be "well I don't think it is appropriate for the reigning monarch to it but there is no reason why William couldn't lay a wreath or stand outside while bells ring."  We don't know exactly how they plan to mark the anniversary.  I think it all depends on how formal the proceedings are.

In the previous reign, Elizabeth spent the day quietly in the home where her father had died. Charles is following her example. (It’s easy because they’re still following the same schedule of when they spend time in different residences as the deceased monarchs.) To the best of my recollection, Charles didn’t do anything to mark George VI’s death. W&K will probably follow that lead in the future, but as it’s the first year, they’re handling the public event. That has the extra benefit of showing that there isn’t a family reunion at Balmoral that excludes Harry going on. 

• Upvote 6

I think aside from Elizabeth being beloved and having such a long reign, there was a public memorial for Philip at one year.  Yes, it was because COVID and the actual funeral was so tiny, but people remember the memorial more than the reason I think.  Doing something besides Charles holed up on remote private property would be a nice thing for the country.  

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, rosamundi said:

I’ve yet to see any Charles coins in Canada. I hope we see them soon! 

I still have some British Pound notes, varying denominations, from somebody's last visit.  I wonder if they will expire, it's been at least five years since any of us were there, maybe more.

Is Kate's presence so intensely choreographed that each book she stands in front of is documented?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

In the previous reign, Elizabeth spent the day quietly in the home where her father had died. Charles is following her example. (It’s easy because they’re still following the same schedule of when they spend time in different residences as the deceased monarchs.) To the best of my recollection, Charles didn’t do anything to mark George VI’s death. W&K will probably follow that lead in the future, but as it’s the first year, they’re handling the public event. That has the extra benefit of showing that there isn’t a family reunion at Balmoral that excludes Harry going on. 

I've heard that Charles did a tribute to the Queen Mother on the one year anniversary of her death.   It's possible that a tribute will only happen on the first anniversary or maybe other milestones like the 10th.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, viii said:

Personally, I think this is the beginning of the cracks between C&C and W&K. They’ve been a united front so far but this will be an extremely interesting development to watch. Charles is a (in)famously petty man and doesn’t tolerate others “lesser” than him shining brighter. He has needed W&K up to this point, but I’m curious to see if his jealously will impact these working relationships. 

I really hope Charles has grown past that particular trait of being insecure when someone shines brighter than him. If he hasn’t then things could quickly fall apart. 

7 hours ago, Alisamer said:

That makes better sense. I think after Diana's example, it's highly unlikely William and Kate would ever do anything anti-LGBTQ+. 

I never thought they were behind it. The royals seem to want to remain neutral on most things and removing trans books would not only be taking a stand but the wrong stand.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I never thought they were behind it. The royals seem to want to remain neutral on most things and removing trans books would not only be taking a stand but the wrong stand.

Remaining silent is taking a stand, too.

It’s also pretty cowardly.

If they support LGBTQ rights, say so! If they are against them, admit it!

Diana wasn't afraid, and that was 30 years ago. 

I dont think the palace was behind the initial removal of the books, either. But when someone does something evil, speak up! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

I still have some British Pound notes, varying denominations, from somebody's last visit.  I wonder if they will expire, it's been at least five years since any of us were there, maybe more.

If they're plastic polymer notes they're still valid. if they're the old paper ones you'll need to exchange them for current notes next time you come over.

• Thank You 1

On 8/10/2023 at 3:06 PM, Coconut Flan said:

I think aside from Elizabeth being beloved and having such a long reign, there was a public memorial for Philip at one year.  Yes, it was because COVID and the actual funeral was so tiny, but people remember the memorial more than the reason I think.  Doing something besides Charles holed up on remote private property would be a nice thing for the country.  

I think it would be a nice thing to do for the country if they took those funds and spent them to help the hungry snd homeless.

Another lavish ceremony for the royals would not be “a nice thing to do” when there is so much need.

WMaybe ask the British public if they want their tax money spent on another royal ceremony. 

Poor Charles! What a bad time to become king. No one uses cash anymore. 

How cool that Kate Middleton just got a bunch of senior military titles. She's now a senior officer of the RAF, among other things. I wonder if she will lead a charge against enemies of the British Royal Empire, should it become necessary.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

Doing something in remembrance of the Queen besides Charles taking a private day does not equate to a service or ceremony and need not cost anything or much at all.  I can't see William and Kate putting on a full on ceremonial church service right as the children are returning to school either.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I think it will be more like a statement or short video. Maybe we will see them lay a wreath / light some candles but I don‘t expect a big ceremony.

• Upvote 6

The royals want to unite the country and increase their connection with the public?

Have a remembrance for everyone's gran who died in the past year. Instead of continually fawning over this one dead woman. Make it a remembrance of all the deaths of loved ones who have died since the queen's death.

This focus on one dead lady is a turnoff for many, who have had their own griefs during the last year.

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Doing something in remembrance of the Queen besides Charles taking a private day does not equate to a service or ceremony and need not cost anything or much at all.  I can't see William and Kate putting on a full on ceremonial church service right as the children are returning to school either.  

Westminster Abbey are doing their normal weekday services, but with one Holy Communion and the music at Evensong  acknowledging Charles' accession. There's no sign here of it being a big formal state occasion.

image.thumb.png.dbcff45f8c05083532fca31a065d9114.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, rosamundi said:

Westminster Abbey are doing their normal weekday services, but with one Holy Communion and the music at Evensong  acknowledging Charles' accession. There's no sign here of it being a big formal state occasion.

Well, that's a relief! I think we've all had enough of those.

On 8/12/2023 at 3:55 PM, Jackie3 said:

The royals want to unite the country and increase their connection with the public?

Have a remembrance for everyone's gran who died in the past year. Instead of continually fawning over this one dead woman. Make it a remembrance of all the deaths of loved ones who have died since the queen's death.

This focus on one dead lady is a turnoff for many, who have had their own griefs during the last year.

As a Lutheran I am only somewhat familiar with Anglican traditions but I believe All Saint’s Day on November 1st serves the purpose of remembering all the dead from the last year. They certainly could remember all the dead in the country and coordinate it with the late Queen’s remembrance but it maybe a bit redundant from a liturgical perspective. As King, Charles is also the head of the Church of England and may not want to ruffle clergy feathers.

• Upvote 6

On 8/12/2023 at 9:55 PM, Jackie3 said:

Hate to break the news to you but something like that has been done after Philip died… it was a concert… now please don‘t get too upset when I tell you who had that idea before you did. Oh, I think you know! 😜

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Haha 7

15 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

As a Lutheran I am only somewhat familiar with Anglican traditions but I believe All Saint’s Day on November 1st serves the purpose of remembering all the dead from the last year. They certainly could remember all the dead in the country and coordinate it with the late Queen’s remembrance but it maybe a bit redundant from a liturgical perspective. As King, Charles is also the head of the Church of England and may not want to ruffle clergy feathers.

It's All Souls on November 2nd which commemorates "all the Faithful departed." All Saints on 1st November is kind of a catch-all to acknowledge that the church on earth may have missed the holiness of a particular person and hasn't put them in the calendar with the title "saint" (yes, the CofE does occasionally still add people to the calendar, and they acknowledge those declared saints by other traditions).

I checked back on Westminster Abbey's calendar and they had this on 6th February 2022, when Queen Elizabeth was still alive, but no such service on 6th February 2023, after she'd died, so I think the Abbey, as a Royal Peculiar, has a tradition of marking the Sovereign's accession date with a service.

I checked St Paul's cathedral and it's harder to work out if any particular commemorations are taking place on any given day's services.

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Media is reporting that Kate attended a music festival at David Cholmondeley and Rose Hanbury's estate.  She went there after eating dinner with them.  Kate and Rose seem awfully chummy for there to be any truth to the affair rumors between Rose and William.

https://pagesix.com/2023/08/16/kate-middleton-parties-in-an-off-the-shoulder-top-with-sneakers-at-music-festival/

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Are we really supposed to believe that William cares about the environment?

I mean, this was 7 years ago, but still. He spend 5,000 pounds to ride in a helicopter back home (after a garden party!), when he could have ridden in a car for 3 hours. He doesn't have a job to report to the next day, so what's the rush?

It's not like he'd have to drive a car,  he'd just have to sit in one. This is the founder of the Earthshot prize, and his wife? 

What hypocrisy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3614422/amp/No-packed-trains-Wills-Kate-commute-home-8m-helicopter-pay-bill.html

11 hours ago, TN-peach said:

Media is reporting that Kate attended a music festival at David Cholmondeley and Rose Hanbury's estate.  She went there after eating dinner with them.  Kate and Rose seem awfully chummy for there to be any truth to the affair rumors between Rose and William.

https://pagesix.com/2023/08/16/kate-middleton-parties-in-an-off-the-shoulder-top-with-sneakers-at-music-festival/

That's exactly what they are trying to make you think! Wow, the media is very effective in convincing people of things.

In this case, they want to squash rumors of an affair  between Wills and Rose (quite substantiated rumors, by the way)

Here's a question. . . where was William? Was he out clubbing again? When Harry and Meghan do things alone, the "media" predicts divorce. Is that's what is predicted for this couple as well, or are they treated differently?

William was MIA. Some reports say he was "grouse hunting."

A guy with a pretty weird track record and a connection to the Sussex camp spread that rumor on twitter. He has since said he made it up. If that‘s a substantiated rumor, your standards are pretty low.

And I do think married women are still allowed to go out alone in the UK. As are married men. Don‘t see a problem if William was indeed clubbing.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

And I do think married women are still allowed to go out alone in the UK. As are married men. Don‘t see a problem if William was indeed clubbing.

Of course they're allowed to. Nothing wrong with that! (But when Meghan and Harry go places alone, their marriage is immediately said to be over.)

It's pretty obvious that the media is trying to show us that Kate and Rose are best buds. 

I'm not sure what rumor you are referring to. The helicopter rides all over Britain? That is widely known and I don't think even the Palace denies it. 

Interestingly, William pulled out his environmental concerns to explain his absence from the Women's World Cup final. But he'll put them aside again then next time he wants a quick flight to Amner Hall to avoid traffic. Rules for thee, but not for me.

Edited by Jackie3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic